Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700Sm Journey to big brake kit (Beringer content)🔥😃👌

Aleksandar13

While I was under the hood I also took a look to see how the caliper would fit the MT09's 298mm rotor. Pretty much as expected it would take some serious welding and machining to get it right.

image.thumb.png.5860cd653ff91b464228a0ae05caa971.png

image.thumb.png.a931c8f88833a858395cfc7b7aecea99.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

While I was under the hood I also took a look to see how the caliper would fit the MT09's 298mm rotor. Pretty much as expected it would take some serious welding and machining to get it right.

image.thumb.png.5860cd653ff91b464228a0ae05caa971.png

image.thumb.png.a931c8f88833a858395cfc7b7aecea99.png

I think it would be easier to use a 320mm or 310mm disc as that way you have more distance between holes.. And could make a bracket up that bolts on both fork and caliper... 👍 Plus you would gain a bit more coolness 😎😂

• Like 1

This will be ordered next week... Its a galespeed 17.5mm piston... It has very good reviews and its made in Japan... 👍 

Once this has come in I will need to order the braided lines and we are there... 

😁👌

Screenshot_20210213-074744.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-074739.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
On 2/12/2021 at 1:48 AM, TimeMachine said:

@BellissiMoto Can you help us out with a model number of the 4 pot Beringer that bolts straight up to the T7?

Sure, please send me the specs and I'll do some digging.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BellissiMoto said:

I think this is the one... 👍 

Screenshot_20210213-223332.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BellissiMoto said:

Thanks @BellissiMoto. This is the closest I can find to the T7. The key dimension is the 60.1mm gap between mounting bolts, to fit a 282mm rotor and aligned as shown below. Even better would be something that fit a 298 or 320mm rotor.

The lateral offset between mounting face and rotor centreline is less important as long as we can space it out, or at worst, machine the caliper mounts a few mm. Would be good to know what they have that might be close.  

1181874911_Brembo60mm.thumb.jpg.7b821a38232350d3019653bae9ee4151.jpg

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

Berringer just got back to me 🙂

Verbatim:

Hi Paul

According to Beringer the 2019 Tenere 700 with or without ABS would take 6 piston calipers # S02A RH and S12A LH

Those have mounting mounting bolt spacing of 55m.    See the chart below

The small 4p caliper your client sent a picture of are not sufficient for big heavy bikes. Those are meant for MX use only. Sorry

1186180900_Berringer1.thumb.jpg.0e3692e8681910ca78d25a04b60477af.jpg

399104990_Berringer2.thumb.jpg.aef713e62cc55dba6f02d879b8023b8a.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BellissiMoto said:

Verbatim:

Hi Paul

According to Beringer the 2019 Tenere 700 with or without ABS would take 6 piston calipers # S02A RH and S12A LH

The small 4p caliper your client sent a picture of are not sufficient for big heavy bikes. Those are meant for MX use only. Sorry

1186180900_Berringer1.thumb.jpg.0e3692e8681910ca78d25a04b60477af.jpg

399104990_Berringer2.thumb.jpg.aef713e62cc55dba6f02d879b8023b8a.jpg

I am a bit confused about this as the spacing on our bike is 60mm or 60.1..so 55mm will not be a straight bolt on, 60mm will be... I'll ask my end and see if we can get to a  conclusion... 👍 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BellissiMoto said:

Verbatim:

Hi Paul

Thanks @BellissiMoto you have gone above and beyond. I expect that the model number is correct, just the quote about the 55mm might be not quite right. Unfortunately the 6 piston is not what I was looking for, my use being mostly offroad and the 6 pot hangs a bit low. It will be wicked for Aleks SM though.

@BADDANDYI noticed you posted in AdvRider on the mismatch of the bracket. I am still interested in what you have learnt, so could you share it here, what its for, model etc, with a clear photo of the fitted bracket? I am keen to see how much it needs to be adjusted. Did it need a spacer? Would a new set of holes in the bracket be possible? Thanks!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks @BellissiMoto you have gone above and beyond. I expect that the model number is correct, just the quote about the 55mm might be not quite right. Unfortunately the 6 piston is not what I was looking for, my use being mostly offroad and the 6 pot hangs a bit low. It will be wicked for Aleks SM though.

@BADDANDYI noticed you posted in AdvRider on the mismatch of the bracket. I am still interested in what you have learnt, so could you share it here, what its for, model etc, with a clear photo of the fitted bracket? I am keen to see how much it needs to be adjusted. Did it need a spacer? Would a new set of holes in the bracket be possible? Thanks!

I have Daz on the case for the 4 pot caliper... I'll let you know as soon as I get an email. Might be tomorrow. 

Aleks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I noticed you posted in AdvRider on the mismatch of the bracket. I am still interested in what you have learnt, so could you share it here, what its for, model etc, with a clear photo of the fitted bracket? I am keen to see how much it needs to be adjusted. Did it need a spacer? Would a new set of holes in the bracket be possible? Thanks!

2005 R1 320mm rotor with 2010 TE-630 bracket, stock pads are 27mm wide and I'm getting 16mm of contact. ABS ring needs trimming at the screw tabs for the rotor to fit.  Bracket is not adjustable nor can new holes be drilled.  When weather improves I'll ask around if a billet aluminum bracket can be cut and welded to shorten.  I used 2-3mm spacers to space bracket from fork, trim some of the bracket to clear rotor bolts, and use smaller thread pitch/longer bolts with fork hole reducers for everything to fit up.  If I was getting the full 27mm contact, I was gonna post this mod.

0212211228.thumb.jpg.a32f655b786ee37a30f9850eb1821c25.jpg 

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

31 minutes ago, BADDANDY said:

2005 R1 320mm rotor with 2010 TE-630 bracket, stock pads are 27mm wide and I'm getting 16mm of contact. ABS ring needs trimming at the screw tabs for the rotor to fit.  Bracket is not adjustable nor can new holes be drilled.  When weather improves I'll ask around if a billet aluminum bracket can be cut and welded to shorten.  I used 2-3mm spacers to space bracket from fork, trim some of the bracket to clear rotor bolts, and use smaller thread pitch/longer bolts with fork hole reducers for everything to fit up.  If I was getting the full 27mm contact, I was gonna post this mod.

0212211228.thumb.jpg.a32f655b786ee37a30f9850eb1821c25.jpg 

Thanks for the update! That is good to know. I am surprised that the adapter needed spacers because if you think about it, the mating surface of the fork and the mating surface of the caliper should remain in one plane, regardless of the bike.

image.png.723058dc272384042cc78ce3dccc1d8d.png

From the image it looks like the lower piston is further away from the axle than the upper piston. Could just be an optical illusion. Did the caliper align with the rotor correctly?

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks for the update! That is good to know. I am surprised that the adapter needed spacers because if you think about it, the mating surface of the fork and the mating surface of the caliper should remain in one plane, regardless of the bike. From the image it looks like the lower piston is further away from the axle than the upper piston. Could just be an optical illusion. Did the caliper align with the rotor correctly?

You didn't take into account if the rotor has any offset to the hub of the wheel.  I don't know if a TE does.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

Galespeed master is here.. 

17.5mm piston... Looks and feels amazing.. Quality is really good and it is made in 🇯🇵... From first looks I think the brake switch could work straight from the bike.. I've got a pressure one ordered anyway. 

@TimeMachine I am on the case and Daz is gathering information for us and will reply to my email as soon as he has all the answers we need.. Are you thinking of going the 4 piston route on one disc with 282mm disc?

Aleks 

IMG_20210219_143430.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

@TimeMachine I am on the case and Daz is gathering information for us and will reply to my email as soon as he has all the answers we need.. Are you thinking of going the 4 piston route on one disc with 282mm disc?

Thanks Aleks. It might end up that way, but ideally it can fit to the 298 or 320mm rotor straight out of the box, or with an adapter. I think to be a popular choice with T7 riders, it needs to have plenty of power, which single rotor setups can have, but usually with bigger rotors.

On that note, I ordered an eBay 320mm rotor and it arrived yesterday. It weighs 1.44kgs which is quite a bit more that the 298mm at 1.16kgs. The OEM 282mm rotor is 1.22kgs by comparison. So there are some weight savings to be had with the right combo of rotor and caliper, as long as they work sufficiently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks Aleks. It might end up that way, but ideally it can fit to the 298 or 320mm rotor straight out of the box, or with an adapter. I think to be a popular choice with T7 riders, it needs to have plenty of power, which single rotor setups can have, but usually with bigger rotors.

On that note, I ordered an eBay 320mm rotor and it arrived yesterday. It weighs 1.44kgs which is quite a bit more that the 298mm at 1.16kgs. The OEM 282mm rotor is 1.22kgs by comparison. So there are some weight savings to be had with the right combo of rotor and caliper, as long as they work sufficiently.

I agree with you , one disc setup will save some weight .. Which rotor did you end up getting ... I have not bought mine yet..  basically a single rotor will be great as its almost the same with the stock disc weight but you loose calliper, brake line and pads . The Beringer 6 pot weighs in 1050gr with pad so the 4 pot should be lighter (stock brembo is 750gr with no pad , fairly heavy )

The 4 pot might work with 320mm but I think beringer will not recommend it for such a big disc and it will need spacing out 😄 

Aleks

I don't see how they don't recommend their single 4 pot to replace a single 2 pot.  They must have the single 4 pot replacing two 2 pots in their heads.  By them saying a 55mm caliper fits a T7 proves they've never measured nor ridden one offroad.  I bet they think it's in the GS12 category when it's actually in the big MX category (for our purposes anyways).  A single 4 pot also matches up better to keeping the stock MC.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

8 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

I don't see how they don't recommend their single 4 pot to replace a single 2 pot.  They must have the single 4 pot replacing two 2 pots in their heads.  By them saying a 55mm caliper fits a T7 proves they've never measured nor ridden one offroad.  I bet they think it's in the GS12 category when it's actually in the big MX category (for our purposes anyways).  A single 4 pot also matches up better to keeping the stock MC.

You are not far from the truth there... I think they recommend a single 4 pot for Mx bikes which I presume don't weigh more than 140kg wet... In a world where people sue companies because they scratched their figures on a plastic cup I think they will have something to say about using this on a 200kg adventure bike but let's wait and see... My contact is having a look and will email me shortly with information which might be different to the information we have already... I've exchanged over 30 emails with him before buying my 6 piston so his customer service has been outstanding. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

List of items left to order reduced to 2 ... 🙂  I have ordered the custom braided lines today... I have a question in regards to Brake fluid... Beringer recommend DOT 4 fluid and I would like to get the RBF 600 Motul Racing Brake fluid that is rated at DOT 4. I presume that the RBF will fit the bill ok?

Regards,
Aleks

That's what ratings are for? Compatibility. Any DOT 4 should mix with any other DOT 4.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

1 hour ago, WRXer said:

What are your master to caliper piston ratios verses stock?

The 6 pistons of the Beringer are 27mm each and the master piston recommended by them to use with this calliper is 17.5mm which I will be using. 

Aleks 

• 1 month later...

Arrived today after almost 6 weeks.... 👍🏼, assembly Thursday. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210329-WA0011.jpeg

• Like 3

First mockup test to see how it al works... Perfect fit just need washers to centre on the disc... 

Attached pictures... Installation to follow this Thursday, Friday. 

Aleks 

IMG-20210329-WA0045.jpeg

IMG-20210329-WA0031.jpeg

IMG-20210329-WA0033.jpeg

• Like 3