Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700Sm Journey to big brake kit (Beringer content)🔥😃👌

Aleksandar13

• Aleksandar13 changed the title to T700Sm Journey to big brake kit (Beringer content)🔥😃👌
  • Aleksandar13 featured and unfeatured this topic

Spent the morning drawing things up and I must say I am very happy with the outcome and how things have fallen into place so far.  It looks like the 6 pot from a sherco or TM motorcycle will be a bolt on solution for the T7 with 320mm rotors. 

Dimensions on drawing marked with inside rotor are supposed to be : Inside caliper to Spokes distance : 282mm Diamater.

There is a slight difference in where the rotor sits compared to the tech drg from Beringer but the difference between the disc and the rotor is only 1.08mm. The forks on the t7 force the Beringer to sit at a different Angle 4 degrees difference to the original mounting from the Tech Drg. 

I have laid everything out and measured the bike and drawn the side view with an R1 320mm rotor. The width of the Beringer and the offset are very good to match our bikes and there is a need of a 3.12mm spacer to line everything up according to my calculations.

Thanks to @pgeldz who was kind enough to check all the parts from beringer and came back to me with a part number that could work,top lad. @Camel ADVADV for his info and know how and encouragement and to @TimeMachine for the tech drawing which made my life easy. 

Expected benefits of the system are :

Weight reduction ( one braided line to be used from ABS pump to Beringer bracket with no splitter required, @Camel ADV can you kindly share size and type of Banjo used on the ABS pump ) 

I suspect that one 320mm disc vs two disc is lighter.

Original calipers weight with no pads : 745 gram x 2 = 1500 grams vs Beringer including pads : 1050 grams.

Overall if I can save 2kg of weight or more and gain massive stopping power it will be the result I am after.

Other people might not be interested in doing this swap but Beringer does a 4 pot caliper that will bolt straight on to our 282mm Diameter disc and this might be a solution for people wanting a single disc conversion with a 4 pot caliper of high quality.

Aleks

Beringer on t7 forks vs sherco fork 310mm vs 320mm rotor.png

Brembo vs Beringer section.png

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

I had used JDA Enterprises for custom brake lines before, they seem to not be doing that anymore. 

these guys do it as well.  

http://russellperformance.com/mc/brake-clutch-hose/competition.shtml

Mike

Thank you Mike, Beringer have recommended a British based company they use and I've looked online... https://www.venhill.co.uk/news

They offer a custom brake line to suit my needs for less than £50 shipped which is great. 

Aleks 

33 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you Mike, Beringer have recommended a British based company they use and I've looked online... https://www.venhill.co.uk/news

They offer a custom brake line to suit my needs for less than £50 shipped which is great. 

Aleks 

Awesome!

Interested in this, I did a conversion on my old CX500 to upgrade the crummy front brake, so will be curious how this works out for you.

Mike

• Like 1

Nicely done Aleks.

From your comments the R1 rotor has the same mounting pattern. That makes the rotor part easy and inexpensive.

https://www.s3performance.com.au/front-brake-disc-yamaha-yzf-r1-yzfr1-r1-2004-2005/DBFFR104

Is the 6 pot caliper model number HU11A? And would you also have the model number of the 4 pot Beringer direct bolt on?

Thanks!

Ok I downloaded the Beringer catalog and this looks like the caliper required to do a direct bolt up to the existing 282mm rotor. I wonder what bracket options they have as this caliper would be nice matched with the 300 or 320 mm rotor, if that were possible.

My only concern is how low these mount relative to the front axle and if they might be subject to damage off road.

image.thumb.png.d9713db8aab29a8f4928456a853e533a.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Ok I downloaded the Beringer catalog and this looks like the caliper required to do a direct bolt up to the existing 282mm rotor. I wonder what bracket options they have as this caliper would be nice matched with the 300 or 320 mm rotor, if that were possible.

My only concern is how low these mount relative to the front axle and if they might be subject to damage off road.

I clicked on the Vendors button and none show a 60mm mounting. No other 4 pot caliper I've found are less than 65mm.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

6 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Nicely done Aleks.

From your comments the R1 rotor has the same mounting pattern. That makes the rotor part easy and inexpensive.

https://www.s3performance.com.au/front-brake-disc-yamaha-yzf-r1-yzfr1-r1-2004-2005/DBFFR104

Is the 6 pot caliper model number HU11A? And would you also have the model number of the 4 pot Beringer direct bolt on?

Thanks!

The part number is correct for the caliper with 6 piston, the 4 pot I don't know the part number but will find out, keep in mind that the 4 pot will work with stock disc only unless you space it out. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

I have a 282 to 320 mm bracket for the stock caliper and on order a 320mm left disc.  I had previously gotten a 310mm disc not knowing if the bracket would even work out as it was for a different bike, but damn if it didn't seem to work for a 320mm disc.  We'll see for sure when the disc gets here.  The bracket will also require some modified caliper bolts (stock bolt is thicker, bigger pitch, and too short) and maybe a mm or 2 shims.  I'm currently content running a single stock disc and caliper with braided brake lines.  But if I can go 320 and/or a 4 pot caliper (more for brake feel than power), I'm doing it.  Looking forward to more of your journey Aleks as you're the only info I've found on this conversion.

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

2 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

I have a 282 to 320 mm bracket for the stock caliper and on order a 320mm left disc.  I had previously gotten a 310mm disc not knowing if the bracket would even work out as it was for a different bike, but damn if it didn't seem to work for a 320mm disc.  We'll see for sure when the disc gets here.  The bracket will also require some modified caliper bolts (stock bolt is thicker, bigger pitch, and too short) and maybe a mm or 2 shims.  I'm currently content running a single stock disc and caliper with braided brake lines.  But if I can go 320 and/or a 4 pot caliper (more for brake feel than power), I'm doing it.  Looking forward to more of your journey Aleks as you're the only info I've found on this conversion.

Thanks for the kind words, I will report back once we have more info on the 4 pot. 

Aleks 

5 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

@BADDANDY, can you share what the bracket is and where you got it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

image.thumb.png.d9713db8aab29a8f4928456a853e533a.png

I think this will need to made specially for the bike... 320mm with this caliper and a small adapter plate will work nicely..👍 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

@BADDANDY, can you share what the bracket is and where you got it?

I will after I get the 320mm rotor.  That way people can determine if they want to go this route after I post what it takes to shim for the install.  Right now the bracket fits the fork (with modified bolts), fits the caliper perfectly, but not sure the disc until it comes in.

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I think this will need to made specially for the bike... 320mm with this caliper and a small adapter plate will work nicely..👍 

That's what I'm waiting from you with your engineering contacts, a 320mm/4 pot conversion bracket.   Have you looked at a 2015 XT660R 320 mm 4 pot axial caliper?  I can't find any info on it and we didn't get this bike in USA.  If only I still worked at my old aviation company, NOT!

1620516503_2015XT660R320mm.JPG.f3198846dae42afbdd7aed8bddbb74df.JPG

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

These are dime a dozen too.  Maybe the exact same caliper.

1935391513_2001KTMDukeII640LC499-06OEMFrontBrakeCaliper.thumb.JPG.209cf252cf533eb8966170675432c302.JPG

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

2 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

That's what I'm waiting from you with your engineering contacts, a 320mm/4 pot conversion bracket.   Have you looked at a 2015 XT660R 320 mm 4 pot axial caliper?  I can't find any info on it and we didn't get this bike in USA.  If only I still worked at my old aviation company, NOT!

1620516503_2015XT660R320mm.JPG.f3198846dae42afbdd7aed8bddbb74df.JPG

I will try my best to help out, it all depends on offset and how well it will fit the fork... 60mm spacing is not that common hence the struggle to get supermoto brackets.. If the bike would have been the same bottom forks as the wr250 or 450 which from memory has 102mm then it would have been easy as there is a lot already out there... But we can work together on developing something... Let me know how you get on with the brake disc... 

What brand did you get? 

Aleks 

Will do.  I worked a deal for a single from these folks.

671563982_ForYamahaYZFR104050615-20FZ1FAZER100006-12.JPG.69ee81373e432ddbe2e2f264c49482f1.JPG

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

Caliper ordered today in blue to add a bit of bling to the bike 😃👌... 

3 to 4 weeks to get it in gives me time to order other stuff. 

I will get a different Master cylinder, haven't decided between a brembo rcs 17 and galespeed 17.5mm vrc. 

Any help is appreciated... 

Braided line needs ordering... I've done some maths and with splitter it would have taken around 17 inches to splitter and 26 inch to the caliper... Tempted to order one with the same size even though the splitter would have taken 2 inches of line out of it.. But I think this can be routed better.. Don't know yet 🤣

I need some help with the line from the master to the Abs pump... What type of banjo do I need at the pump end...? 

I am tempted to loose the Abs pump in the process but don't want a light in the dash.. Any possible solution? 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210209-194411.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-194311.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-194252.jpg

• Like 3

One more thing to watch out for (as if there weren't enough already), the inner hole of the rotor needs to provide clearance to fit the ABS ring. The T7's OEM rotor has a hole 137mm diameter for most of the circumference except at the mounting points where it reduces to 132mm.

image.thumb.png.8223575edf07bd09fae5c21fbc4f736b.png

I found the issue while testing the MT09 rotor fitment, which has the 132mm diameter inner hole. I can fit the rotor but not while the ABS ring is in place.

image.thumb.png.521e1434805bfd283661fb22574a6ca2.png

This is the spec for the R1 rotor and that too is 132mm and not enough to fit the ABS ring.

image.png.3b423ae9ad5ce073a311e7ea72153b1b.png

One option is to machine some notches in the rotor. There are five ABS mounting bolts and they are fit equidistant between the rotor bolts. Another is to file down the ABS ring and notch out the rotor so as to allow only the ABS bolt head, which should retain more strength in the rotor.

Another option for single disk use is to use the rotor on right hand side where there is no ABS ring.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

One more thing to watch out for (as if there weren't enough already), the inner hole of the rotor needs to provide clearance to fit the ABS ring. The T7's OEM rotor has a hole 137mm diameter for most of the circumference except at the mounting points where it reduces to 132mm.

image.thumb.png.8223575edf07bd09fae5c21fbc4f736b.png

I found the issue while testing the MT09 rotor fitment, which has the 132mm diameter inner hole. I can fit the rotor but not while the ABS ring is in place.

image.thumb.png.521e1434805bfd283661fb22574a6ca2.png

This is the spec for the R1 rotor and that too is 132mm and not enough to fit the ABS ring.

image.png.3b423ae9ad5ce073a311e7ea72153b1b.png

One option is to machine some notches in the rotor. There are five ABS mounting bolts and they are fit equidistance between the rotor bolts. Another is to file down the ABS ring and notch out the rotor so as to allow only the ABS bolt head, which should retain more strength in the rotor.

Another option for single disk use is to use the rotor on right hand side where there is no ABS ring

Thank you for the information... There might be enough material left on the abs ring after notching the ears down to be able to fit it inside the 132mm..what you think? 

If not moving it to the other side will be an option just need to move bracket and sensor as well. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for the information... There might be enough material left on the abs ring after notching the ears down to be able to fit it inside the 132mm..what you think? 

If not moving it to the other side will be an option just need to move bracket and sensor as well. 

Aleks 

There should no problem with the ABS ring filing the ears down. It's just the ABS ring mounting bolts that are of concern I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

There should no problem with the ABS ring filing the ears down. It's just the ABS ring mounting bolts that are of concern I think.

Looking at your picture the heads of the bolts will clear the rotor and the abs ring can be filled down to even have slots instead of holes and it will still be OK and secure... 👍