Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T700Sm Journey to big brake kit (Beringer content)🔥😃👌

Aleksandar13

Wow, very nice Aleks! That makes it an option then (although the price makes me squeamish). Doesn't seem to hang too low, but a bit hard to tell from the photo. Will be interesting to know if the standard master works with the 6 pot, although I don't expect you will bother to find out.

I am waiting on a bracket to be produced by another forum member @k4T3Mthat should allow the standard caliper to be used with the 320mm rotor. In the meantime I'll try removing one rotor and caliper and see what it feels like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

Wow, very nice Aleks! That makes it an option then (although the price makes me squeamish). Doesn't seem to hang too low, but a bit hard to tell from the photo. Will be interesting to know if the standard master works with the 6 pot, although I don't expect you will bother to find out.

I am waiting on a bracket to be produced by another forum member @k4T3Mthat should allow the standard caliper to be used with the 320mm rotor. In the meantime I'll try removing one rotor and caliper and see what it feels like. 

Thank you, it has been a long journey... Thursday is my aim for fitting this, I'm so excited and can't wait for everything to be fitted. Takko got in touch with me and I offered some help over email with the brackets, hopefully he will have some made soon. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

The journey comes to and end... Yesterday was the magic day where the first T700Sm gets a single disc beringer 6 piston setup on the front... I am very happy with the outcome... 👍🏼 

I've made a list of all the parts and how much they weigh.. One item was forgotten and that is the master cylinder, It definitely weighs less than the stock unit by a margin. 

Total weight saving is around 3kg... Very pleased with this and you can feel the difference on the road instantly. 

Difficult things on installation... Beringer calliper bolts straight on the forks and sits nicely, the bolts I had were only 40mm long and I needed another 5mm of thread so I ended up with 50mm long ones and some washers which is not beautiful but will do the job until I get some from ebay. 

I've used a 1mm spacer behind the disc and 3 x m8 washers to centre the calliper with the r1 320mm disc... 

Removing all the lines and capping the head of the pump was OK, back lines are a bit annoying to get out but wasn't to bad after a bit of coffee... 

Installing the new lines is easy and went quick.. The back was in and functional in 10 min, I've made a mistake and ordered the lines to long for the back so might replace it soon but for now it has a nice radius and does the job. 

The front was not bad either just trying to make it look tidy. 

Bleeding was new to me and it took me a while to get there but after 1h of doing the front I've managed to get it perfectly. 

Test ride was only 30 min and I can instantly tell the massive stopping power and the confidence inspiring brake feel. One finger touches the front and the bike starts to lose momentum with a nice modular feel to it. Awesome braking... On a private road 95 mph to 30mph was tested and it was incredible. 

The master is adjustable so you can get a firmer pull or longer pull depending on your preference... 👍🏼 

Attached some pictures from the install and the final result. 

The most important thing for people who would like to convert to a single disc with no ABS is that... The speedo runs if you leave the plug on the abs pump and cap the abs pump and there is no light in the dash. 

Hope this helps others as well. IMG_20210401_191321.thumb.jpg.aadbabc41c4722076df05e4f5de1bf73.jpg

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210402-072431.jpg

IMG_20210401_071011.jpg

IMG_20210401_191331.jpg

• Like 2

It's great to see some progress on this Aleks, awesome job. Sounds like the results are better than the standard twin rotor setup, which is very encouraging.

I am having trouble visualising the spacer arrangement though. You moved the rotor further from the centreline of the wheel by 1mm? How was that done, is the rotor still firmly centred on the hub? And is the caliper now closer to the wheel by 3 washers between fork mount and caliper, or were the washers under the bolt head simply to make up the right bolt length?

Good to know about the ABS and how to avoid the warning/error lamps. Shame you have to retain the ABS controller to achieve it though. That might have been another kilo saved.

Thanks for sharing the info!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

It's great to see some progress on this Aleks, awesome job. Sounds like the results are better than the standard twin rotor setup, which is very encouraging.

I am having trouble visualising the spacer arrangement though. You moved the rotor further from the centreline of the wheel by 1mm? How was that done, is the rotor still firmly centred on the hub? And is the caliper now closer to the wheel by 3 washers between fork mount and caliper, or were the washers under the bolt head simply to make up the right bolt length?

Good to know about the ABS and how to avoid the warning/error lamps. Shame you have to retain the ABS controller to achieve it though. That might have been another kilo saved.

Thanks for sharing the info!

The caliper bolts on straight to the forks with not adjustment needed, in order for the disc and caliper line to be centred I needed 3.0mm distance between the fork and the caliper mounts so I packed it with stainless washers.

You can see this in my cad drawing in one of the earlier posts. 

Let me know if this makes sense now. 

Bolts in titanium to arrive next week as they need to be 45mm long so that no washers are used on the front of the caliper after the bolt head. The spacers washers stay in. 

Aleks 

31 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

The caliper bolts on straight to the forks with not adjustment needed, in order for the disc and caliper line to be centred I needed 3.0mm distance between the fork and the caliper mounts so I packed it with stainless washers.

You can see this in my cad drawing in one of the earlier posts. 

Let me know if this makes sense now. 

Bolts in titanium to arrive next week as they need to be 45mm long so that no washers are used on the front of the caliper after the bolt head. The spacers washers stay in. 

Aleks 

Thanks Aleks, yes I see it here in red marked as 3.12mm spacer.

Brembo vs Beringer section.png

In order to simplify this installation, is there an option to leave the rotor mounted normally without a 1mm spacer, but bring the caliper another mm closer to the wheel using a 4mm spacer, or did you have a clearance problem between caliper and wheel/spokes?

2 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Thanks Aleks, yes I see it here in red marked as 3.12mm spacer.

Brembo vs Beringer section.png

In order to simplify this installation, is there an option to leave the rotor mounted normally without a 1mm spacer, but bring the caliper another mm closer to the wheel using a 4mm spacer, or did you have a clearance problem between caliper and wheel/spokes?

No clearance issues with rotor... I'll take some photos and let you know how much there is but its fine... Breaks are so strong is unbelievable... 👍🏼 

20210402121508_IMG_2109.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 1:33 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

No clearance issues with rotor... I'll take some photos and let you know how much there is but its fine... Breaks are so strong is unbelievable... 👍🏼 

20210402121508_IMG_2109.jpg

Hey Aleks,

Thanks again for passing on your great info and research results.

I am planning to duplicate some of your mods, go single disc on 21" wheel. I have purchased a 320 r1 disc and want to buy the same beringer caliper you used.

Could you please assist by telling me the following.

1. The model number of the beringer caliper you purchased and any other details that maybe relevant when purchasing, i am in Australia.

2. I am assuming spoke clearance will be OK on my standard 21" wheel, do you agree.

3. At this stage I thought I would see how the standard master cylinder performs before considering the galespeed, do you know what dia the piston is in the standard master and any thoughts on the differences between the two.

4. Now that you have been living with your upgraded brake system for a little while,  is there anything you have learnt that you may have done differently or any other bits of wisdom you have learnt along the way.

5. Does the beringer come with pads or did you order them separately.

6.I do plan on keeping the abs, but replacing the lines with braided ones, any thoughts.

Many thanks

15 hours ago, MikeS said:

Hey Aleks,

Thanks again for passing on your great info and research results.

I am planning to duplicate some of your mods, go single disc on 21" wheel. I have purchased a 320 r1 disc and want to buy the same beringer caliper you used.

Could you please assist by telling me the following.

1. The model number of the beringer caliper you purchased and any other details that maybe relevant when purchasing, i am in Australia.

2. I am assuming spoke clearance will be OK on my standard 21" wheel, do you agree.

3. At this stage I thought I would see how the standard master cylinder performs before considering the galespeed, do you know what dia the piston is in the standard master and any thoughts on the differences between the two.

4. Now that you have been living with your upgraded brake system for a little while,  is there anything you have learnt that you may have done differently or any other bits of wisdom you have learnt along the way.

5. Does the beringer come with pads or did you order them separately.

6.I do plan on keeping the abs, but replacing the lines with braided ones, any thoughts.

Many thanks

I will try my best to answer all the above, if I miss one please let me know.. 👍🏼 

1. Part no is: # HU11A. The caliper has been discontinued but Beringer have the molds and will make them for you, at least they made it for me.... If you don't have luck in Australia I'll send you my contact in the UK. 

2. I wouldn't be able to tell you, please refer to the drawing I made for spoke clearance, let me know what you have now and I can cad draw this to see if it's closer or better than on mine. The only consideration to take on board here  is that my wheel is wider and the spokes have a different angle. Please check and let me know what you have now. I don't want to sound like rude but I am unable to guarantee the fitment because I don't have the 21 inch wheel here anymore. 

3. The stock one is 16.0mm diameter piston and beringer recommended a 17.5mm diameter. This is your call I've gone for the adjustable ratio one so I can adjust it. Quality is top notch and price is very good as well. I have now adjusted it to my liking to have a bit of travel but the bite is amazing. 

4. I've measured all the braided lines a bit to long, I would probably change the back one as I have a loop at the moment. Bolts for the caliper need to be 45mm long not 50mm as they will touch the spokes. 

ABS ring mounting holes will touch the r1 disc so you need to cut the holes into half moons to clear the internal part of the r1 disc. 

Bleeding is a pain... Take your time, I've spent 2 hours doing it wrong and then after 2 videos I've done it in 30 min. 🤣

Best brakes I've tried or owned on any bike. 💪🏻😍😎

Get a spanner that you can use to bleed the brakes.. I've heard there are special ones out there for the bleeding nipple. On the beringer it is close to the banjo. 

5. Pads and banjo bolt included, plus a small set of washer to space the caliper out if needed to align with disc. 

6. I would ditch it same as me but this is your choice... The feel with the lines direct to brake has improved so much and it saves weight as well. 😁 

Any questions please let me know, there is also an alternative to the 6 piston that I have, I think they list it as a t7 caliper for the stock diameter disc. If you are more off road ask about that one and see what they say. 

Attached a photo or two for inspiration. 

Aleks 

20210411105247_IMG_2166.jpg

20210411105725_IMG_2185.jpg

20210411105322_IMG_2168.jpg

20210418133723_IMG_2223.jpg

20210411102302_IMG_2157.jpg

20210411105306_IMG_2167.jpg

20210411105736_IMG_2186.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-074739.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-074744.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-194252.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I will try my best to answer all the above, if I miss one please let me know.. 👍🏼 

1. Part no is: # HU11A. The caliper has been discontinued but Beringer have the molds and will make them for you, at least they made it for me.... If you don't have luck in Australia I'll send you my contact in the UK. 

2. I wouldn't be able to tell you, please refer to the drawing I made for spoke clearance, let me know what you have now and I can cad draw this to see if it's closer or better than on mine. The only consideration to take on board here  is that my wheel is wider and the spokes have a different angle. Please check and let me know what you have now. I don't want to sound like rude but I am unable to guarantee the fitment because I don't have the 21 inch wheel here anymore. 

3. The stock one is 16.0mm diameter piston and beringer recommended a 17.5mm diameter. This is your call I've gone for the adjustable ratio one so I can adjust it. Quality is top notch and price is very good as well. I have now adjusted it to my liking to have a bit of travel but the bite is amazing. 

4. I've measured all the braided lines a bit to long, I would probably change the back one as I have a loop at the moment. Bolts for the caliper need to be 45mm long not 50mm as they will touch the spokes. 

ABS ring mounting holes will touch the r1 disc so you need to cut the holes into half moons to clear the internal part of the r1 disc. 

Bleeding is a pain... Take your time, I've spent 2 hours doing it wrong and then after 2 videos I've done it in 30 min. 🤣

Best brakes I've tried or owned on any bike. 💪🏻😍😎

Get a spanner that you can use to bleed the brakes.. I've heard there are special ones out there for the bleeding nipple. On the beringer it is close to the banjo. 

5. Pads and banjo bolt included, plus a small set of washer to space the caliper out if needed to align with disc. 

6. I would ditch it same as me but this is your choice... The feel with the lines direct to brake has improved so much and it saves weight as well. 😁 

Any questions please let me know, there is also an alternative to the 6 piston that I have, I think they list it as a t7 caliper for the stock diameter disc. If you are more off road ask about that one and see what they say. 

Attached a photo or two for inspiration. 

Aleks 

20210411105247_IMG_2166.jpg

20210411105725_IMG_2185.jpg

20210411105322_IMG_2168.jpg

20210411102302_IMG_2157.jpg

20210411105306_IMG_2167.jpg

20210411105736_IMG_2186.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-074739.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-074744.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-194252.jpg

hey Aleks,

Thanks again for your all your assistance.

I have been in contact with the Australian beringer distributor and he is talking to beringer and getting back to me.

I am also considering brembo, may not be quite as good but cost and availability may be significantly better.

On another note, one of the other mods I have done is to have the ecu reflashed, not sure if you have done that, if not and you are interested let me know.

Cheers

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeS said:

hey Aleks,

Thanks again for your all your assistance.

I have been in contact with the Australian beringer distributor and he is talking to beringer and getting back to me.

I am also considering brembo, may not be quite as good but cost and availability may be significantly better.

On another note, one of the other mods I have done is to have the ecu reflashed, not sure if you have done that, if not and you are interested let me know.

Cheers

No worries at all I'm glad to help... I've tried the brembo route 4 pot from a Gs1200, and they are to wide... Beringer is not the cheapest option out there but it bolts on without aluminium brackets and to be fair with you they make the best brakes out there for competitive bikes and supermoto in general.

If you can stretch to a beringer like I did... It would be worth it. Its only money for a passion. 

I'm actually reflashed my bike with pv3, velocity stacks and headers. Torque is immense.. Dyno session and full map to be tweaked next month. 👍🏼 

Aleks 

4 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

No worries at all I'm glad to help... I've tried the brembo route 4 pot from a Gs1200, and they are to wide... Beringer is not the cheapest option out there but it bolts on without aluminium brackets and to be fair with you they make the best brakes out there for competitive bikes and supermoto in general.

If you can stretch to a beringer like I did... It would be worth it. Its only money for a passion. 

I'm actually reflashed my bike with pv3, velocity stacks and headers. Torque is immense.. Dyno session and full map to be tweaked next month. 👍🏼 

Aleks 

I can understand the brembo 4 pot being too wide on your 17" but I am hoping it might have clearance on my 21"

But I hear what you are saying about beringer.

I sent my ecu to 2wheeldyno in USA to be flashed am am very impressed but I didn't know about the pv3 which sounds great. Look forward to seeing your map.

Have you tried a 520 chain& sprockets.

I read you can gain 1.5hp and slight unsprung weight saving.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 1:19 AM, MikeS said:

I can understand the brembo 4 pot being too wide on your 17" but I am hoping it might have clearance on my 21"

But I hear what you are saying about beringer.

I sent my ecu to 2wheeldyno in USA to be flashed am am very impressed but I didn't know about the pv3 which sounds great. Look forward to seeing your map.

Have you tried a 520 chain& sprockets.

I read you can gain 1.5hp and slight unsprung weight saving.

Cheers

Mike, I'm struggling to find the 520 chain and sprocket in the UK. If you could guide me that would be awesome.

Aleks 

20210424134403_IMG_2269.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:23 AM, Aleksandar13 said:

Mike, I'm struggling to find the 520 chain and sprocket in the UK. If you could guide me that would be awesome.

Aleks 

20210424134403_IMG_2269.jpg

Hey Aleks,

A local shop has told me he can get the rear sprocket and waiting for him to confirm the front.

I will let you know when he he got back to me with the details.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, MikeS said:

Hey Aleks,

A local shop has told me he can get the rear sprocket and waiting for him to confirm the front.

I will let you know when he he got back to me with the details.

Hey Aleks,

The shop has come back to me about the 520 rear sprocket.

The T7 takes the same sprocket as a ninja ex 400. The dimensions on the attached drawing confirm that

Screenshot_20210505-123828_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-122258_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I saw in earlier posts there were challenges with clearance between caliper and spokes and was wondering how far a rotor can be spaced out before it is too far. So it was nice to see that Husky use a 10mm spacer on their 701 sm, with a 4 pot brembo & 320 rotor on a 19" wheel.

20210505_132317.jpg

20210505_132310.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That solution looks awesome and very 'trick'! 

For anybody interested in starting out by using the stock caliper I've produced this bracket which bolts straight on and uses the 04-06 R1 320mm rotor or equivalent....

More info at www.motoswiss.com

2F89B925-2EA6-462A-A711-DFDF630F3026_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 2