Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Weight reduction Facts

Aleksandar13

On 1/24/2024 at 1:16 AM, OK185 said:

Yes, that was basically second biggest reason to go tubeless. Now I just carry a tiny plug kit and pump instead of bulky and heavy tools that have to be stored somewhere. (Biggest reason is that I never want to have to change a tube on the road but I don't want to get into that discussion 😂)

I think some people underestimate just how much weight and bulk tools add to luggage. It's probably the heaviest and "dense" stuff you can bring along.  Just two levers alone will be 1kG which is a sleeping bag, or quite a bit of clothing or whatever. 

About Lithium batteries:

The whole Lithium battery space seems like a huge grey zone where nobody realls knows what is good or not. I'm sure Antigravity makes great batteries but you can't even get them in Europe and they seem to criticize every other brand out there on the ADVRider thread. I didn't do a whole study on it and just fitted the Skyrich 10S which is specified as a direct replacement for our Yuasa model and has good reviews on Amazon. KTM also seems to mount them as OEM in their dirt bikes. I hope it won't blow up on me or leave me stranded. If it's really cold I guess I can use the heated grips to warm it up somehow? 😆

I wouldn't go off road on tubeless tyres without spare tubes and the tools to fit them.  I've had tubeless tyres that were not repairable and the only option was to fit a tube to get home.

To me the only savings with tubeless is the tubes not in the wheels, which with HD tubes can be substantial, but not sure how great the savings are by the time you do your favorite tubeless treatment.

And my entire tyre changing kit is 385 grams including 2 levers, a trail stand and axle removal bits.

Tyre changing kit v2 with weights lower resolution.jpg

Edited by dnrobertson
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 5:27 AM, dnrobertson said:

I wouldn't go off road on tubeless tyres without spare tubes and the tools to fit them.  I've had tubeless tyres that were not repairable and the only option was to fit a tube to get home.

To me the only savings with tubeless is the tubes not in the wheels, which with HD tubes can be substantial, but not sure how great the savings are by the time you do your favorite tubeless treatment.

And my entire tyre changing kit is 385 grams including 2 levers, a trail stand and axle removal bits.

Tyre changing kit v2 with weights lower resolution.jpg

I suspect the majority who opt to go tubeless and not carry a spare tube and tools to pull a wheel tend to not wander past the point where a phone call and flatbed tow truck will come fetch them. Different needs and desires. 

Personally, I've seen too many blown out sidewalls and taco'd rims to try the tubeless thing off the beaten track. I don't like tubes, but I like getting home. 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 5:35 AM, Windblown said:

I suspect the majority who opt to go tubeless and not carry a spare tube and tools to pull a wheel tend to not wander past the point where a phone call and flatbed tow truck will come fetch them. Different needs and desires. 

Personally, I've seen too many blown out sidewalls and taco'd rims to try the tubeless thing off the beaten track. I don't like tubes, but I like getting home. 🙂

Nice!  Did you piece this together, or is it all part of a kit?  The blue anodized adapter reduces 27 mm to ?? and where did you get it?  Thanks.

Also, does the 27 mm fit into the recessed area of the axle nut?  I've added an extra OEM washer to push the nut out so my axle wrench has more nut to grab😖.

Edited by SXXP

1 hour ago, SXXP said:

Nice!  Did you piece this together, or is it all part of a kit?  The blue anodized adapter reduces 27 mm to ?? and where did you get it?  Thanks.

Also, does the 27 mm fit into the recessed area of the axle nut?  I've added an extra OEM washer to push the nut out so my axle wrench has more nut to grab😖.

The blue anodized adapter is motion pro. You can get an aluminum front axle tool as well. even Aliexpress has a motion pro knock off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SXXP said:

The photo wasn't mine. @dnrobertson could answer your question. 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Windblown said:

The photo wasn't mine. @dnrobertson could answer your question. 🙂

Ah, apologize for that.

16 hours ago, SXXP said:

This is a kit I built up myself over a period of time.  I'm in Australia so shipping of certain "sexy" tools from Europe?America eliminated them from consideration so this is what I ended up with.

The Motion Pro Big lever is a 32mm that also does duty on my KTM 640.  The blue adaptor fits 22/27mm but the outside size is 32mm.  I use it to get a full purchase on the 27mm rear axle nut without needing washers etc.  The 22/27 adaptor weighs 28 grams.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

And here it is being used (i have reversed my axle to make it easier to remove on the trail)

Rearwheelremovalcombolowerresolution.jpg.0641f348dd0cc7b704f22004b9402ccc.jpg

The front axle 19mm I use is a aluminium 19 hex with a 1/4 and 3/8 square drive in the other end. It weighs 14 grams and  is from Engineered Enduro Equipment Inc: 

Smaller, lighter, simpler and more efficient.  That's what we do best. EngDuro's Hex Axle Removal Device (HARD) is just that.  For those of you with a hex drive front axle, the HardTRAK is a replacement for the big...

The trail stand is a Rolling Mavericks stand.

Great for fixing flats, chain maintenance, and emergency repairs · Quickly jack one wheel off the ground · Supports 240+ kg motorcycles · Ultralight 123 grams

I also have the Engineered Enduro Equipment Inc Double Trak tool as well which brings a lot of bits altogether in a single tool.

The DoubleTRAK is the ultimate motorcycle multitool.  Keep it in a pocket or in your tank bag so its always handy.  No more digging to the bottom of your paniers to grab your main toolkit. When I hear the word multitool I...

Edited by dnrobertson
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dnrobertson said:

This is a kit I built up myself over a period of time.  I'm in Australia so shipping of certain "sexy" tools from Europe?America eliminated them from consideration so this is what I ended up with.

The Motion Pro Big lever is a 32mm that also does duty on my KTM 640.  The blue adaptor fits 22/27mm but the outside size is 32mm.  I use it to get a full purchase on the 27mm rear axle nut without needing washers etc.  The 22/27 adaptor weighs 28 grams.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

And here it is being used (i have reversed my axle to make it easier to remove on the trail)

Rearwheelremovalcombolowerresolution.jpg.0641f348dd0cc7b704f22004b9402ccc.jpg

The front axle 19mm I use is a aluminium 19 hex with a 1/4 and 3/8 square drive in the other end. It weighs 14 grams and  is from Engineered Enduro Equipment Inc: 

Smaller, lighter, simpler and more efficient.  That's what we do best. EngDuro's Hex Axle Removal Device (HARD) is just that.  For those of you with a hex drive front axle, the HardTRAK is a replacement for the big...

The trail stand is a Rolling Mavericks stand.

Great for fixing flats, chain maintenance, and emergency repairs · Quickly jack one wheel off the ground · Supports 240+ kg motorcycles · Ultralight 123 grams

I also have the Engineered Enduro Equipment Inc Double Trak tool as well which brings a lot of bits altogether in a single tool.

The DoubleTRAK is the ultimate motorcycle multitool.  Keep it in a pocket or in your tank bag so its always handy.  No more digging to the bottom of your paniers to grab your main toolkit. When I hear the word multitool I...

Thanks for the info and links.  Appreciate it.