Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

11 hours ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

Fitted Touratech shock

IMG_7357.jpeg.a261d651badcef409024d849aa41e379.jpeg

And progressive fork springs.

IMG_7358.jpeg.9d2ed7a0c9862a5d71b857c987d64570.jpeg

They both work well in harmony. Nice suspension improvements over OEM stock 2019. Plusher, more comfortable and better damping resulting in more taught quality handling, steering and control. Not and easy balance to achieve. Controlled much nicer performance feeling way better on and off-road especially technical terrain. Happy days.

I have the Touratech extreme rear shock and my first test was uphill washboard. With the  Stock rear shock the T7 would decelerate. With the Touratech rear shock I can accelerate uphill on washboard 

• Like 2

Long winded screed:

Started taking it apart for its winter maintenance.  I'm not going to have a lot of time to ride unfortunately between now and the onset of snow etc, and it's been raining so much here as of late that trails aren't terribly great anyhow.

So the winter plan:  starting by stripping down and cleaning the entire bike, removing and greasing the rear suspension, swingarm, taking the forks apart and greasing the steering head, oil / air filter change, and although it's very early in the bike's life, I'll likely check throttle body synchronization as well as the valves since half the bike will be apart anyhow.

I have a Beta 500 RS on order to join the T7 in the garage. (red team, blue team, go), and with this change I'm sort of backing off my longer term plan of trying to make the T7 just a big dirt bike, and moving back in the direction of well rounded adv bike.

1. going back to the stock rear sprocket, and a 16 tooth on the front.  I was running a 48 on the back with the stock front sprocket for most of the summer, and I really only found it advantageous in the rarest of occasions..... honestly these were times that a bit of clutch finesse would have done just fine anyway.  The rest of the time it was a bit annoying, made first gear really touchy, and the bike just felt pokier accelerating in higher gears.  Probably the only mod I've done so far that I wouldn't repeat. 
  2. a blue rear cowl section instead of the stock matt black
  3. Camel high front fender (already owned, just haven't installed yet)
  4. Perun Moto rear rack, tie-down brackets and side carriers -  I like these because the whole system is extremely low profile, and shouldn't feel like it's in the way when bags aren't on the bike
  5. Mosko Reckless 80 setup for trips, or some cheaper alternative.  Maybe I can score a lightly used one.. I know they make good stuff, but that price..
  6. More comfortable grips.  I'm over the stockers.
  7. Tires I'll decide on once my current D908rr / D606 combo wears out next year.   I have nothing but praise for this combo offroad, and they're just fine on asphalt, once you get over the front feeling a bit squishy at lower air pressures.  If I wind up doing a lot of road miles I may go back to the stock Pirelli's.
  8. More suspension work maybe.  I like the rear of the bike well enough now with a stiffer spring, but somehow the forks still seem harsh in the travel despite the stiffer springs getting me closer to optimal sag.   They're great if you're riding a bit aggressively offroad, but for slower stuff, not so much.  And they still bottom over small jumps, which are admittedly rare.  I need to figure out if the improvement is worth the cost, but again, this would be something good to do while the whole thing is apart.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, random1781 said:

That's cool, I haven't seen numbers before. Kawasaki calls the KLR a dual-sport, but it sounds like the IIHS might consider it a "Standard" 😂...

Seeing that supersport registration numbers have kind of nosedived over the years while almost every other 'class' either somewhat steady or rising is quite telling.  Also, I knew cruisers were dominant, but not by that much, jeez.

• Like 1

Apparently we were all wrong. It's not an adventure bike or a dual-sport...the T7 is an enduro. Or at least mine is, officially!

reg.jpg.43ba5999467a951c5407338c0517bc99.jpg

• Like 2

advgoats.com

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, random1781 said:

Apparently we were all wrong. It's not an adventure bike or a dual-sport...the T7 is an enduro. Or at least mine is, officially!

reg.jpg.43ba5999467a951c5407338c0517bc99.jpg

Wow, wow, wow. Amazing...  I am really really hoping that someone will write the words SS SPACESHIP on to a piece of paper for mine; then obviously I can then ride to the moon because it says so on paper 😜.

Took a breakfast ride out today with some friends

still 24° this morning 

IMG_6009.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, headwinded said:

8. More suspension work maybe.  I like the rear of the bike well enough now with a stiffer spring, but somehow the forks still seem harsh in the travel despite the stiffer springs getting me closer to optimal sag.   They're great if you're riding a bit aggressively offroad, but for slower stuff, not so much.  And they still bottom over small jumps, which are admittedly rare.  I need to figure out if the improvement is worth the cost, but again, this would be something good to do while the whole thing is apart.

@headwinded Suggest Touratech progressive fork springs be inexpensive solution. They sort the forks.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Lewie said:

I’m around 95kg and rarely carry luggage

@Lewie 90nm or 85nm. 85nm with some pre-load be adjustable or the 90nm with no preload and pre-load if take a pillion passenger etc. If 100kg in kit both still be ok.

23 minutes ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

@Lewie 90nm or 85nm. 85nm with some pre-load be adjustable or the 90nm with no preload and pre-load if take a pillion passenger etc. If 100kg in kit both still be ok.

Thank you

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Lewie said:

Took a breakfast ride out today with some friends

still 24° this morning 

IMG_6009.jpeg

Hoping that's  C° not F°!

• Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I installed electronic cruise control, so far after a short ride I can say it's a good purchase.   Here's a picture of the controls, sorry I'm not one who takes pictures of the install as I go along but just dive in to get it done, it was a several hour install but not hard. 

If anyone is interested the company name is Mccruise out of Australia.  Here a link to their site.

Mccruise electronic cruise control

20231010_163334.jpg

• Like 4

Just hacked off the sidestand nubbin and sprayed on some Tamiya lexan paint for corrosion protection. (doesn't look great, but will probably do the job). This nubbin was so annoying when standing on the pegs!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 12:04 AM, Noel McCutcheon said:

Fitted Touratech shock

IMG_7357.jpeg.a261d651badcef409024d849aa41e379.jpeg

You fitted a shock, to your outdoor deck?   😉

• Haha 2

18 275 miles and new chain & sprocket set. probably, in the end, about 1000 miles overdue, because the snatch-free drive train is immediately noticeable- big smile 🙂

went with DID VX3, and 15T X 45T - looking forward to feel the gearing change on the freeway and crawling 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

18 275 miles and new chain & sprocket set. probably, in the end, about 1000 miles overdue, because the snatch-free drive train is immediately noticeable- big smile 🙂

went with DID VX3, and 15T X 45T - looking forward to feel the gearing change on the freeway and crawling 

I'm interested to hear if the single tooth on the rear is noticeable.. I picked up a 16 tooth front sprocket but haven't installed it 

• Like 2

Single tooth on the rear

100rpm lower? Something like that?

If someone could just knock up a 7th gear with sprockets that would be great 👍 

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Single tooth on the rear

100rpm lower? Something like that?

If someone could just knock up a 7th gear with sprockets that would be great 👍 

12 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

I'm interested to hear if the single tooth on the rear is noticeable.. I picked up a 16 tooth front sprocket but haven't installed it 

I remember Ray Ride4life preferred this combination. He had a 16t front sprocket first but didn't like it on technical terrain. For him, 15/45 was the best compromise.

1 minute ago, Tenerider said:

I remember Ray Ride4life preferred this combination. He had a 16t front sprocket first but didn't like it on technical terrain. For him, 15/45 was the best compromise.

Will be better than a 16t off road for sure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunndog said:

Will be better than a 16t off road for sure

"technical" off road where you are going slow and steep uphill or down hill, then I agree. But for riding forest gavel roads my 16T front will go from 0mph to 60 mph, I never have to shift ! Slow down to 10mph for a tight gravel turn and accelerate on a straight away to the next turn for slow to 30mph. never move my left foot.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 10/11/2023 at 11:56 PM, winddown said:

You fitted a shock, to your outdoor deck?   😉

@winddown It's now a well suspended deck. 🙂 

IMG_7358.jpeg.4cffb179f60f5a6d7a537136cb80629f.jpeg

On 10/11/2023 at 8:00 PM, vagrant318 said:

noticeable for sure - did a 40mile commute yesterday. firstly the small difference on pullaway, and then a bit of "calmness" on the freeway. not that I was bothered by freeway speeds, but now I sit flush at 6000rpm @ 75, and that feels just a little nicer. as mentioned by others earlier, the small change off-road unlike to be a negative impact for my routes.  the great thing about gearing...is that we can change it to suit our circumstances 😀 

unless I have a super-long road trip coming, I don't think I'll consider the 16T option - but I do wish I can plan a super-long trip!

• Like 3

Removed the previous decals and mounted new Exan ovale titanium exhaust.

20231013_173554.jpg.90efed2e138c6f4269e3b10ee12728d9.jpg

Edited by NicoNicoNii

On 10/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, AirborneSilva said:

I installed electronic cruise control, so far after a short ride I can say it's a good purchase.   Here's a picture of the controls, sorry I'm not one who takes pictures of the install as I go along but just dive in to get it done, it was a several hour install but not hard. 

If anyone is interested the company name is Mccruise out of Australia.  Here a link to their site.

Mccruise electronic cruise control

20231010_163334.jpg

An expensive one though... still on the fence on spending that kind of dough.  Would love to hear more once you have more miles on it. 

• Like 1

It is expensive for sure but for me it's worth it.  I have injuries from my paratrooper days so being able to relax my right hand is a blessing and a relief! 

I will try to update this post after I get some miles on it, been raining off and on here in florida...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AirborneSilva said:

It is expensive for sure but for me it's worth it.  I have injuries from my paratrooper days so being able to relax my right hand is a blessing and a relief! 

I will try to update this post after I get some miles on it, been raining off and on here in florida...

Thank you.  That is indeed a great reason to be having one.  I do get a numb thumb every now and again and occasionally it feels like pins and needles or little electrical shocks in my hand.  I had (it is for sale) a Kaoko, but I changed bars and guards and it does not fit anymore.  Was great last year on a 13 day trip.  The McCruise looks to be the real deal. 

• Like 1