Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

On 10/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, thepointchris said:

18 275 miles and new chain & sprocket set. probably, in the end, about 1000 miles overdue, because the snatch-free drive train is immediately noticeable- big smile 🙂

went with DID VX3, and 15T X 45T - looking forward to feel the gearing change on the freeway and crawling 

Same chain length with that combo?

advgoats.com

15 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Same chain length with that combo?

I assume so, but didn't count links - Sprocket Centre sends the chain cut-to-length for the sprockets ordered.

• Like 2

I seem to be one of the few that like the stock seat. I didn't like how hot it got in the sun and it's a little to grippy so...

Now I like it better. Looks cool too.

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

• Like 4

I finally got around to fitting my Garmin RV-775, it's not waterproof but it's BIG, 18cm.

The trouble was finding a mount for it, they don't make any that big but I modded up one from bits from two smaller ones.  I can remove it easily enough and I'll carry a plastic bag in my pock so I can cover it if needed.  For old eyes it's a boon 😀

They come with HEMA offroad maps (an aussie thing) and show all the tracks etc.  I could have used it today as I missed my turn going up a valley behind Lake Maroon and ended up a pretty steep dirt road with lots of tight corners.  Not normally a problem, except my OEM Scorpion tires have over 6000km on them and the rear is near to flat across the middle.  Next week I'll go in a and order the Anakee Wilds, then I'll go back and explore it.

GPS-L.jpg.8c0883d118b5b7ea2581d18eea79a840.jpg

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

I finally got around to fitting my Garmin RV-775, it's not waterproof but it's BIG, 18cm.

The trouble was finding a mount for it, they don't make any that big but I modded up one from bits from two smaller ones.  I can remove it easily enough and I'll carry a plastic bag in my pock so I can cover it if needed.  For old eyes it's a boon 😀

They come with HEMA offroad maps (an aussie thing) and show all the tracks etc.  I could have used it today as I missed my turn going up a valley behind Lake Maroon and ended up a pretty steep dirt road with lots of tight corners.  Not normally a problem, except my OEM Scorpion tires have over 6000km on them and the rear is near to flat across the middle.  Next week I'll go in a and order the Anakee Wilds, then I'll go back and explore it.

Wilds are a good choice imho! They don't last forever, but are true 50/50 tires with lots of traction in tarmac corners and decent traction even in deep mud (when running 1.2 bars).

• Like 1

Yeah there are a lot of other tires out there, some more favored, but I'm a little conservative so I'm going with the wilds.  I never really pushed it on the tarmac anyway

• Like 1

"Retro fitted" my old SW-Motech soft side luggage from my retired T12.

Easy adaptation to the Bumot luggage rack.

sidovskor1.jpg.c00705497b022a788cf1ffff44f10674.jpg

sidovskor2.jpg.79934a6733e3f9f7a04478eb56928354.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:12 AM, Tenerider said:

Wilds are a good choice imho! They don't last forever, but are true 50/50 tires with lots of traction in tarmac corners and decent traction even in deep mud (when running 1.2 bars).

On 10/21/2023 at 4:38 AM, winddown said:

I rode many rainy days on several different motorcycles with a zip lock bag over my GPS's. Never took them off in pouring rain, just covered them with a baggie. Never had an issue and could still see the navigation.

• Like 3

Fitted new rear Anakee Wild and balanced it.  Spent 300 bucks on new caliper, fitted it. Replaced dodgy Goodridge brake lines. Hopefully ready for winter 😬🤞

• Like 3

Well I got them fitted, on blacktop they are certainly not as smooth as the Scorpions, no  definite connection with the road like as before and a little bit of wandering at speed  too but I knew that would be the case, it's a tradeoff.  I only did a short dirt section on the way home and can't comment really but I don't have to do I, that's where these tires shine, on the loose stuff.

To my mind they will give me a lot more grip and stability if I ride at the same speeds as before and that is what I was after.   The ability to take those steep sections, uphill and down and sketchy corners  without worrying about the rear going all sideways on me.  There isn't much sandy stuff where I ride either but if I encounter any I'll have no concerns.

ANAKEEWILDREAR-.jpg.b6df7fb690d12f2a488e7d08ef552422.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, winddown said:

Well I got them fitted, on blacktop they are certainly not as smooth as the Scorpions, no  definite connection with the road like as before and a little bit of wandering at speed  too but I knew that would be the case, it's a tradeoff.  I only did a short dirt section on the way home and can't comment really but I don't have to do I, that's where these tires shine, on the loose stuff.

To my mind they will give me a lot more grip and stability if I ride at the same speeds as before and that is what I was after.   The ability to take those steep sections, uphill and down and sketchy corners  without worrying about the rear going all sideways on me.  There isn't much sandy stuff where I ride either but if I encounter any I'll have no concerns.

ANAKEEWILDREAR-.jpg.b6df7fb690d12f2a488e7d08ef552422.jpg

Their weakest part is straight running bitumen lines on tarmac - they get upset and start wandering sideways a bit. Cornering on the other hand is fantastic, especially with a little bit of trail braking - they're running like on rails then!

Braking is weak for about 150 miles, then it vastly improves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Their weakest part is straight running bitumen lines on tarmac

I wonder if the scotts damper I installed subdued that somewhat?  I have the slow speed circuit wound out only a little on the blacktop, then dial it up on dirt.  I'll try dialing it up more on road as it might take the wandering out.  It certainly takes the jittering side to side out on the dirt roads, I couldn't believe the difference after I installed it.  Turning is still easy though, just a little more pressure required pushing the bars.

• Like 2

Installed a new foam filter plus bigger air intake duct, including an ECU flash.

Findings: noticeably more power/torque from 3k rpm, really kicking in from 4k rpm up. Engine runs smoother, early upshifts now lack the power drop/slight "thumping" I had felt before. Fuel consumption might be slightly higher (I guesstimate 0.2 l/100km - whatever that is in imperial units 😂). It sounds better! Must be the air intake I think.

• Like 1

Found a pair of cracks, one on each side, on my Camel tail tidy kit when I was giving my bike the occasional inspection. Should I be worried that my tail will soon snap off, or is this just cosmetic damage? 20231105_144004.jpg.4c1593246336661505b20c1ea82d3706.jpg20231105_144014.jpg.d5248878a7d65d829c4a08f31ed3b808.jpg

• Sad 2

On 11/4/2023 at 4:22 AM, Tenerider said:

Installed a new foam filter plus bigger air intake duct, including an ECU flash.

Findings: noticeably more power/torque from 3k rpm, really kicking in from 4k rpm up. Engine runs smoother, early upshifts now lack the power drop/slight "thumping" I had felt before. Fuel consumption might be slightly higher (I guesstimate 0.2 l/100km - whatever that is in imperial units 😂). It sounds better! Must be the air intake I think.

which air intake,  please?

7 minutes ago, thepointchris said:

which air intake,  please?

This one:

Racing Luftilter Ansaugschnorchel mit großer Öffnung für hohen Luftdurchsatz. Idel mit z.B. dem DNA oder unserem...

OTR print them on their own, according to them it's a temperature and oil/fuel resistant filament. I've seen nicer print jobs (on high-end laser sintering machines, resulting in roughly double the price of sinilarly sized/complex items), but it certainly looks good enough.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonaNobisPacem said:

Found a pair of cracks, one on each side, on my Camel tail tidy kit when I was giving my bike the occasional inspection. Should I be worried that my tail will soon snap off, or is this just cosmetic damage? 20231105_144004.jpg.4c1593246336661505b20c1ea82d3706.jpg20231105_144014.jpg.d5248878a7d65d829c4a08f31ed3b808.jpg

I only had a metal tail tidy once on a bike (naked road bike) and the same thing happened. They always seem to break sooner or later. 

On 11/7/2023 at 5:58 AM, OK185 said:

I only had a metal tail tidy once on a bike (naked road bike) and the same thing happened. They always seem to break sooner or later. 

That's the trouble with a lot of aftermarket parts, they look cool but the level of metallurgy and engineering that goes into them is nothing like what the manufacturer can achieve.  Why trust a Yamaha T7 and not the OEM crash bars, but many go aftermarket, even for the same arrangement.  I know, I did at first lol.

New rubber today! Front - Motoz Tractionator GPS (I've had it lying around for a while, so it can do winter duty) and  Rear - Dunlop Trailmax Raid (curious to find out if it is better than the Mission, which I found disappointing). 

But I also pinched a tube during the install and it reminded me that I had a sealant in the tubes ( Sahara Moto )  What types of experience have you had with tube sealants? I'm NOT asking about tubeless, thank you 🙂

Edited by thepointchris
typo

After a couple of days of consulting with Cory, and a quick trip to a local fab shop, my tail tidy is whole again. Too bad I can't say the same thing about the plastic ratcheting mechanism on my AX9 helmet, stupid thing broke mid-ride and now my visor is stuck at full close or full open (via friction with the top edge of the visor grinding itself against the peak screws).  You'd think a ~$500 helmet would have more robust parts, but here I am stuck searching for a replacement.

20231109_124920.jpg.61e92495c1c7cc208fcb100a03c380dc.jpg20231109_124926.jpg.655131934c41a02e4c37576b5fd739da.jpg

• Like 2

My recent build featured in the AMA American Motorcyclist Magazine.  Since then I have added the Acerbis Tank, Suspension by Scot Gustafson, Water pump protector and the Uni pre-filter.  Really loving the bike!    The suspension difference was huge like a new bike. 

I hope this is the right place to post this... 

Jim

AMA 1 web.jpg

AMA 2 web.jpg

Tenere web.jpg

Edited by 22T700
added more.
  • Like 5

Well I did my first oil change (a bit early @ 600km) before putting the bike away for the winter, adjusted the suspension much better then before (13 click on top and 7 bottom for up front and 10 clicks top and 9 bottom out back ) I installed the rear rack, the exhaust and chains guide, oiled the chain and told her good bye until next year....    

• Like 3

• Moderators

My recent build featured in the AMA American Motorcyclist Magazine. Since then I have added the Acerbis Tank and water pump protector and the Uni pre-filter. Really loving the bike!  

I hope this is the right place to post this... 

Jim

@22T700

Welcome Jim.  Posting this here is fine, but you might want to start a build thread to document maintenance and mods as they come along. You'll need about a dozen more posts before the algorithm will allow you to post there. 😉

https://www.tenere700.net/forum/62-builds-and-maintenance-logs/

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS