Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

12 hours ago, winddown said:

The motech one has a very short kick lever, and was easy to install, especially the springs.  One thing though, I had the rear shock upgraded before that and after installation of the stand I wondered if they could have gotten it in with the stand in place?  Just something to think about.

I pulled my rear shock with the sw motech CS, no problems 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vagrant318 said:

I pulled my rear shock with the sw motech CS, no problems 👍

I installed my new shock AFTER installing the SW Motech - No issues, just maybe some extra bolting or unbolting.. Nothing memorable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you run a high pipe like the HpCorse that routs behind the rear peg bracket keep an eye on it.  I installed some stegzPegz a while back and these changed the bracket position so as the pipe was rubbing on it.   I just found the problem by accident checking my saddlebag straps, some wear on the pipe but ok.  It was a simple matter to loosen the pipe clamp down near the bashplate and the two bolts that secure the can up top and realign it.  It gets tight in there.

pipedamage.jpg.8245c58b23af5abbcc3ff140cb9d1ff8.jpg

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Added a Givi Canyon soft top case to the rear rack.  Fits in the Givi Monokey system for great security and requires fewer straps than a normal tailback.  Love it.  Comes with a detachable beavertail.   

It's flat because it's empty.  Will send packed photos when available.   Enduristan 30 litre bag is on the mono seat (not strapped down).  Working on a better strap system foe Enduristan Blizzard soft panniers as well.  

20231231_173046.jpg

20231231_170634.jpg

Edited by Jayzonk
  • Like 1

I nearly dropped the bastard, that's what I've done for my T7 today!  A tight uphill twisty dirt road and around a RH corner I went a little wide,  (that's the outside, here in Oz we drive on the LHS of the road.  There was a rut, a deep one, so I went wider to the outside of it and found myself going up a low bank into long grass.  Well there were big rocks up there and all of a sudden the bike was jumping left and right.  I really wanted to stop, I think?  But I just kept the power on and some seconds later the road had swung Left and I was back down on it.  It all happened so fast.  I was probably doing 35 km/h

It was spooky not being able to see anything up there in the grass.  I wanted to go back and redo the corner but I just kept riding.  Thing is I have always been more confident negotiating left-hand corners, right hand ones I get a bit tense if I'm going too fast.  I wasn't flogging it up that road at all but obviously going to fast for what came up around the corner.  More road time is what I need.  More practice in the rougher stuff, more practice sliding the rear to change my line and all that.  I was looked after on that ride.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, winddown said:

I nearly dropped the bastard, that's what I've done for my T7 today!  A tight uphill twisty dirt road and around a RH corner I went a little wide,  (that's the outside, here in Oz we drive on the LHS of the road.  There was a rut, a deep one, so I went wider to the outside of it and found myself going up a low bank into long grass.  Well there were big rocks up there and all of a sudden the bike was jumping left and right.  I really wanted to stop, I think?  But I just kept the power on and some seconds later the road had swung Left and I was back down on it.  It all happened so fast.  I was probably doing 35 km/h

It was spooky not being able to see anything up there in the grass.  I wanted to go back and redo the corner but I just kept riding.  Thing is I have always been more confident negotiating left-hand corners, right hand ones I get a bit tense if I'm going too fast.  I wasn't flogging it up that road at all but obviously going to fast for what came up around the corner.  More road time is what I need.  More practice in the rougher stuff, more practice sliding the rear to change my line and all that.  I was looked after on that ride.

Good catch I'd say!

I'm also way more confident in LH corners. It's quite common, most people seem to struggle on RH corners/turns - it seems not to be related to the side of the road you're riding on!

An offroad instructor once told me that 80-90% of tipovers go to the right. My riding school teacher said that almost all new riders struggle with RH turns much more than with LH. His theory: "The heart is on the left side. That's why." 😂

I wonder if it depends on one's dexterity...

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Good catch I'd say!

I'm also way more confident in LH corners. It's quite common, most people seem to struggle on RH corners/turns - it seems not to be related to the side of the road you're riding on!

An offroad instructor once told me that 80-90% of tipovers go to the right. My riding school teacher said that almost all new riders struggle with RH turns much more than with LH. His theory: "The heart is on the left side. That's why." 😂

@winddown you did exactly the right thing. You kept the power ON. If you let off you would have crashed. I was taught 60 years ago, when I got my first bike to simply give it MORE gas when in trouble.  We all are amazed at how POL handles the crazy stuff he does, but if you look and listen closely, at the moment we are shocked at his location and position, he gives it MORE gas to get free.

About dropping on the RH side - It is difficult to turn sharp right  and still be able to twist the throttle and keep a finger on the front brake. Stick your elbows out more and angle your grip along the throttle instead of 90 degrees to it. 

• Like 3

On 1/5/2024 at 6:17 PM, Tenerider said:

My riding school teacher said that almost all new riders struggle with RH turns much more than with LH. His theory: "The heart is on the left side. That's why." 😂

I wonder if it's a R/L brain thing?   I read an article years ago about "the bad side" which went into it.  I think I'll just make an effort to push it a bit more on RH corners where the road is clear and I know it.  Perhaps camber comes into it as well?  Certainly in a LH corner the camber is working for you.  I met a 4x4 on the ride too, narrow road, right in the middle of a tight RH corner.  Just what I needed 😄

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NeilW said:

@winddown you did exactly the right thing. You kept the power ON. If you let off you would have crashed....

About dropping on the RH side - It is difficult to turn sharp right  and still be able to twist the throttle and keep a finger on the front brake. Stick your elbows out more and angle your grip along the throttle instead of 90 degrees to it. 

Yes that's why I kept the gas on, an instinctive thing.  Mind you if I run straight into a large rock in that grass who knows what would have happened.   I shudder to think.

I typically keep my fingers well away from the front brake in a corner 😅, having done all my slowing down coming in.  I have found that in many situations though I've been able to give enough power to the rear to slip it and change my line, usually under duress!  Another thing I must practice.  I'd love to find a big open dirt area for all this but I haven't encountered one yet so I just practice my techniques where I can.  You're certainly right about the controls in a RH corner, even the rear brake is compromised hey.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yes that's why I kept the gas on, an instinctive thing.  Mind you if I run straight into a large rock in that grass who knows what would have happened.   I shudder to think.

I typically keep my fingers well away from the front brake in a corner 😅, having done all my slowing down coming in.  I have found that in many situations though I've been able to give enough power to the rear to slip it and change my line, usually under duress!  Another thing I must practice.  I'd love to find a big open dirt area for all this but I haven't encountered one yet so I just practice my techniques where I can.  You're certainly right about the controls in a RH corner, even the rear brake is compromised hey.

Regarding the possibility of running into a rock, ditch or whatever in unknown terrain, I'd shift my weight back, making the front light enough to overcome obstacles. At least I would try, assuming I'm not too busy marking my pants 😂

I haven't tried trail braking on dirt yet, but it works SO well for me on pavement that I think it might work on hardpack/fire roads/compact gravel as well, assuming one is not too fast. But generally I also prefer slowing down completely before cornering, especially on unknown terrain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well at least I was standing.  If I hadn't been standing I would have been a no-show.  And if my feet had been on the OEM rubber tops I probably would have lost my footing.  Then there is my upgraded suspension, steering damper, and more aggressive tires.  All these things no doubt worked together to keep me vertical. 

It's a testimony to the mods really,  that and the basic techniques that people here talk about.  As for keeping the power down well that's a thing from street riding, better to drop a bike into a low-side after losing the rear than backing off and risking a Hiside.  We don't have any rain predicted for a few weeks so I'll go back out there in the next day or two and have a good look at where I went wrong (and right)

As pathetic an excursion as it is, I might even post a few pix if they show the action. 

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After dropping her onto a big boulder, I decided to show the scars with pride:

20240204_155021.jpg.b833d5cfdac53b5f1017c7003864b6fe.jpg

Call me crazy, but I like it somehow. Now that the tank is dented and scratched, I might have my buddies, kids, riding companions sign it.

RTech fairings held up very well by the way - scratched, but not broken!

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Call me crazy, but I like it somehow. Now that the tank is dented and scratched, I might have my buddies, kids, riding companions sign it.

There is a sense of relief sometimes after the initial shock wears off of doing damage like that.  Some of us take too much caution when the bike is new over anxiety of damaging it.  You’ve now removed that anxiety!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DT675 said:

There is a sense of relief sometimes after the initial shock wears off of doing damage like that.  Some of us take too much caution when the bike is new over anxiety of damaging it.  You’ve now removed that anxiety!

Completely true! I've had some minor scratches on the OEM panels, handguards and stuff, but this is my first bigger scratch.

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

There's an old saying about scratched/dinged motorcycles that I haven't heard for a while: Just knock it over before leaving the dealer's parking lot and get it over with, then you can ride worry-free.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Are those panels good quality? They look it. Thinking about getting some to attach to the acerbis tank ( that I still haven’t fitted). 

17 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Are those panels good quality? They look it. Thinking about getting some to attach to the acerbis tank ( that I still haven’t fitted). 

They are indeed, but they don't fit the Acerbis tank! You'd need CamelADV panels for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

I tried Acerbis tank and RTechs and posted some pictures here.

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:30 PM, T7EST said:

Small lithium battery

Messenger_creation_b34a7071-54d8-4a79-9c11-ea7df4f40371.png

Only 140CCA and 2ah, how is that working with T7? Please enlighten me:)

• Like 1

The alternator will be taking the strain, poor bugger. 140 cca wouldn’t start a mower. That would be a kick start only 50cc job. Maybe the starter motor is a hamster in a wheel. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Takata said:

Only 140CCA and 2ah, how is that working with T7? Please enlighten me:)

Thats a good question, it was offered under Teneres 700 parts in one known webshop and i got it for bonus but i guess i will not use it then  and return