Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

4 hours ago, SXXP said:

CAUTION!!  The lower end of the shaft/rod (both the original and the QS) is reverse threaded.  Found out the hard way and now have a stripped original shaft.  Good thing I won't be needing it!  There is absolutely nothing in the included instructions warning you of that.  I just thought I was fighting lock-tite so kept cranking on the lock nut in the conventional loosening direction trying to loosen it.

having one side reverse threaded allows you to adjust the pedal by just spinning the shaft. otherwise you would be screwing one side and unscrewing the other and the pedal would not move.

Edited by elev3n
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, elev3n said:

having one side reverse threaded allows you to adjust the pedal by just spinning the shaft. otherwise you would be screwing one side and unscrewing the other and the pedal would not move.

Yup, learnt the hard way.... wasn't thinking clearly😑

46 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Good on you to pass along what you discovered.   Not everyone has a history with this type of thing, we all learn about something for the first time, at different times. 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SXXP said:

No wonder! Living in Huntington Beach can be so distracting as the temperatures rise and more and more girls show what they have hidden all winter...😜

I spent some time in Manhattan Beach, 42nd Street, in sight of the beach so I know what I'm talking about. Does "The Shack" still exist?

25 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

No wonder! Living in Huntington Beach can be so distracting as the temperatures rise and more and more girls show what they have hidden all winter...😜

I spent some time in Manhattan Beach, 42nd Street, in sight of the beach so I know what I'm talking about. Does "The Shack" still exist?

😀  Not a bad place to be living....although at my age the afore mentioned "distraction" aren't so much of a distraction anymore🤨.... as my daughter says, "start acting your age, Dad!"

Edited by SXXP
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Windblown said:

Did an initial set up on the new suspension bits and went for a little break-in run. 

20240325_164555.jpg.dc9dda44341dda13b0f5579fe8aeb32f.jpg

20240322_120835.jpg.39194db9992f6ed6e09aa1e425224cfd.jpg

20240327_191504.jpg.659d48ea46d69e6ab04bf6f530527832.jpg

Ohlins, best dollars in suspension I've spent on my previous Yamaha. Let us know your impressions and settings,maybe in the Suspension forum for reference later. I might find some unused funds to upgrade my T7 at some point. 😉

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Here's my embarrassing story of the week. When I swapped out my clutch lever a while back, I didn't move the bushing over from the OEM lever to the new one. Long story short, here's the result of usage over time...

PXL_20240329_232316489.jpg.a1f67a1063bd05cd12697d69f133228a.jpg

Because I've lost about 1 mm of material from the perch there, I'm going to try shimming it with some thin Delrin, and of course adding a bushing...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

advgoats.com

Installed the new @Camel ADV folding tip to THE FIX brake pedal. I like how it is about 20mm farther forward. Just feels better to use my toe instead of the ball of my foot. Takes like 3 minutes to swap unless you drop the nuts a few times. Nice touch including a vial of thread locker  IMG_9394.jpeg.371589e1c0f205239a6314a1c34230ba.jpeg

• Like 4

We are rained in this weekend, so I went about adding some unnecessary shite (mostly 🙃)!!

Added driving lights I picked up from Amazon.  I mounted them to the Tusk crash bars.   It's not tied to the high beam and I can switch it on and off from a handlebar switch (supplied with the lights) as long as the ignition is on.  I used one of the two three-pin plugs on either side of the front fairing for my power source .  I've only had it on in the garage so can't comment on the effectiveness of its beam pattern.....maybe tonight if the rain stops!  But looks cool IMHO!

GZCRDZ 1 Pair Motorcycle LED Headlights 12V 80W 8000LM U2 LED Motorbike Beam Headlamp Moto Spot Head Light Auxiliary Lamp DRL (Black) https://a.co/d/6z6h8JG

PXL_20240331_161344616.jpg

PXL_20240331_161700591.jpg

PXL_20240331_160952834.jpg

PXL_20240331_161022198.jpg

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 1

Also, while I had the front fairing apart to wire up the lights, I upgraded my single factory USB power port to one with a voltmeter and two USB ports.  The OEM hole in the dash is "keyed" to keep the unit from rotating, so I had to "round" it out with a file, but the screw-on locking ring keeps it plenty tight.  I popped the pins out of the original units harness plug and reused the plug after crimping on new pins to the new units wires so it was plug and play with the bikes main harness.   Neat/clean installation!   Sourced from Amazon:

HZTCAM Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket,with LED Digital Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit,Aluminum Power Outlet Fast Charge, for 12V/24V Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More

PXL_20240331_162020933.MP.jpg

PXL_20240331_162038903.jpg

PXL_20240331_161314630.jpg

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 2

I have made and installed a new pair of suspension links together with new bolts and washers, all in stainless. Lowers the bike by 8mm.

I figure 1mm difference in hole pitch changes the seat height by 2mm. So my hole centres are +4mm

1711917492922.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SXXP said:

Also, while I had the front fairing apart to wire up the lights, I upgraded my single factory USB power port to one with a voltmeter and two USB ports.  The OEM hole in the dash is "keyed" to keep the unit from rotating, so I had to "round" it out with a file, but the screw-on locking ring keeps it plenty tight.  I popped the pins out of the original units harness plug and reused the plug after crimping on new pins to the new units wires so it was plug and play with the bikes main harness.   Neat/clean installation!   Sourced from Amazon:

HZTCAM Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket,with LED Digital Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit,Aluminum Power Outlet Fast Charge, for 12V/24V Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More

PXL_20240331_162020933.MP.jpg

PXL_20240331_162038903.jpg

PXL_20240331_161314630.jpg

Nice work!

• Like 1

Changed a tube...

2.jpg.7ea53e678eca3660e14c4e479d9acfc9.jpg

What does this? A machine? Those are some crazy scores  on a UHD tube.

• Confused 2

advgoats.com

On 3/31/2024 at 1:48 PM, Just Footerin said:

I have made and installed a new pair of suspension links together with new bolts and washers, all in stainless. Lowers the bike by 8mm.

I figure 1mm difference in hole pitch changes the seat height by 2mm. So my hole centres are +4mm

1711917492922.jpg

Just curious what 8mm lower will do for you, or was this for the stainless steel ?

On 3/31/2024 at 12:10 AM, random1781 said:

Here's my embarrassing story of the week. When I swapped out my clutch lever a while back, I didn't move the bushing over from the OEM lever to the new one. Long story short, here's the result of usage over time...

PXL_20240329_232316489.jpg.a1f67a1063bd05cd12697d69f133228a.jpg

Because I've lost about 1 mm of material from the perch there, I'm going to try shimming it with some thin Delrin, and of course adding a bushing...

Fixing a suitable bronce bushing does the trick.

Clutch-1.jpg

Clutch-2.jpg

Clutch-3.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

Just curious what 8mm lower will do for you, or was this for the stainless steel ?

Yeah it doesn't seem like much of a difference, but just enough to make it feel a little more sure footed. 

5 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Fixing a suitable bronce bushing does the trick.

Clutch-1.jpg

Clutch-2.jpg

Clutch-3.jpg

That's what I'm planning on doing, except my tools will be slightly less refined!

• Haha 2

advgoats.com

Yanked out the Guglatech airfilter that was getting a little cruddy and slapped in an oem filter I had on hand until I get around to cleaning and oiling the Guglatech. 

20240402_194026.jpg.b9d4b0fe07a88e9fc74a2742d749e49c.jpg

Also loaded a slightly different flash. 

20240402_194427.jpg.a4f21a5e6ead253bc34806b0a0b70945.jpg

Also ordered up some tires.  

• Like 5

New tires and tubes came yesterday and today the tire changer was delivered. It looks like a busy tomorrow without scratches and dents on the blue rims 😜

Heidenau-K60-Scout.jpg

OLMAXMOTORS_Tire-Changer.jpg

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

@Ede-DE what brand is that tire changer?

curious why you chose that brand verses Rabaconda for instance.

Just a hint- use WAY MORE tire lube than you think you need. You can always wipe it off later.

Thanks.

It's the changer of olmaxmotors.pl. The use is next to the tire changers they use for car tires. I really like that. It's easy to use, fast and if you do it right the hardware doesn't touch the rim. And OLMAXMOTORS is not so far away from where I live. It was delivered in 2 days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

It's the changer of olmaxmotors.pl. The use is next to the tire changers they use for car tires. I really like that. It's easy to use, fast and if you do it right the hardware doesn't touch the rim. And OLMAXMOTORS is not so far away from where I live. It was delivered in 2 days.

Nice- I watched the vidoes - I wonder which came first, Rabacona or  Olmaxmotors..  They are practically identical.

1 hour ago, Ede-DE said:

OLMAXMOTORS is not so far away from where I live

That is the one I bought, and am very happy with it. I think the cost was maybe 1/3 cheaper then the Rabacona.

That was off ebay, order direct from Poland and it will be cheaper (I found out later). 

Shipping to the USA was a couple months if I remember right. He stated that in the ebay ad so I had no issues with it.

With what Russia is doing, I was happy to send my money to Poland!

PS, The 20mm center post fit the T7 (and most street bikes). I ordered a second post for dirt bikes with smaller I.D. bearings

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 4

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Took her to the biannual HU (similar to MOT test) - she has passed it with no issues!

I was panicking before that my non-OEM suspension, ECU map, air filter/induct, footpegs might cause trouble. They didn't care at all 😅

• Like 2

Installed a remapped ECU from 2Wheel DynoWorks. I ordered this last year when they were offering a slight discount and just got around to installing it. I had ordered an O2 eliminator (bolt for the pipe and electrical connector) but the electrical connector wasn't compatible, (slightly too big). Contacted  2WDW and they indicated I should not install the eliminator (contrary to what I thought I saw on this forum). So, just covered it with tape and left the connection on the pipe. 

Bike started right up and runs smooth. Check engine light is on as expected. Took the bike out for a short rip. First impressions are favorable. Slight power increase is noticeable, overall smoother through the band. Snatchy throttle at low speeds is definitely improved, which is the primary reason I purchased this upgrade. Happy customer thus far.  

20220515_152150.jpg

Edited by SO_Rider
  • Like 1