Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

I too finally replaced my rotor, which was at 4mm...

PXL_20240321_162051733.jpg.d9a2a54d482a594bfef088602fb47c57.jpg

In the process I had an alarming discovery...

PXL_20240321_164512583.jpg.18d453b90fa0e7d52b0dce303c6a7245.jpg

A huge chunk of swingarm is missing. I have no idea what's going on here, but it seems to have been going on for a while.

advgoats.com

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I too finally replaced my rotor, which was at 4mm...

PXL_20240321_162051733.jpg.d9a2a54d482a594bfef088602fb47c57.jpg

In the process I had an alarming discovery...

PXL_20240321_164512583.jpg.18d453b90fa0e7d52b0dce303c6a7245.jpg

A huge chunk of swingarm is missing. I have no idea what's going on here, but it seems to have been going on for a while.

The wear is most likely from your mud flap. I have a post here on the forum ( will try to locate) that adding a large zip tie around that area allows the zip tie to absorb the abrasion, saving the aluminum swing arm.

Found it.

Edited by AZJW
Added link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks @AZJW, that would be it. There's a big hole in my mud flap now. I'm a bit floored...never would have expected a mud flap to eat away so much metal.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

@random1781 it wasn't the mud flap, it was the mud ON the flap -- liquid sandpaper...

• Like 2

After two years of owning a T7 (my first bike ever), I felt it was time...

...for a second bike 😁

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 it wasn't the mud flap, it was the mud ON the flap -- liquid sandpaper...

Ah yeah that makes much more sense now!

advgoats.com

4 hours ago, random1781 said:

Thanks @AZJW, that would be it. There's a big hole in my mud flap now. I'm a bit floored...never would have expected a mud flap to eat away so much metal.

Years ago in the early days of the bikes release that was a big deal and talked about often.  Back then I put a square piece of rubber with double sided sticky tape on there and its been there ever since.  Somehow you need to get that covered.  But before then Its time for you to get some aluminum JB Weld, sand paper and a squirt of black paint!  Your next ride off road will blend the new paint with the old paint Lol.

20240321_175531.jpg.69babf23f24824499677286d478499cb.jpg

Edited by DT675
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

After two years of owning a T7 (my first bike ever), I felt it was time...

...for a second bike 😁

Way cool!  I've always wanted to try one.  My buddy is technically building a track for them even though neither of us have one lol.. Maybe some day soon.  Where in Germany do you ride that if there is not much for legal off roading?  Just events?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT675 said:

Way cool!  I've always wanted to try one.  My buddy is technically building a track for them even though neither of us have one lol.. Maybe some day soon.  Where in Germany do you ride that if there is not much for legal off roading?  Just events?

There are quite some clubs who have their own trial "playgrounds" - and you can usually ride there every weekend, similar to an MX track. I'll be joining one of those clubs, my kids got small electric trials bikes a few weeks ago, so this will be a family thing 🙂

• Like 4

@Tenerider Riding with your kids is great!

My daughter got a dirt bike and we joined a local club with access to a number of riding locations. It's been fun watching her learn to ride.

20231119_150348.jpg.8a22768f3bc1cc40f47ddbfd9a658a10.jpg

• Like 8

On 3/22/2024 at 12:27 AM, Tenerider said:

There are quite some clubs who have their own trial "playgrounds" - and you can usually ride there every weekend, similar to an MX track. I'll be joining one of those clubs, my kids got small electric trials bikes a few weeks ago, so this will be a family thing 🙂

Love it!  I really enjoyed the days of my kids riding their Honda 50.  Too bad riding that motorcycle turned out to be more of my thing than their thing.

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1

First time testfitting Touratech bags with the Rally seat.

I think they sit even better than on the original seat.

Maybe they are a bit high up now, probably not best for the COG.

34.jpg

• Like 3

One of the biggest grips I have with the T7 is the seat, not comfy for long durations on the saddle. When I got the bike almost 2 years ago I used a Colemans Mad Dog ATV seat cover, which made it sooooo much better and so much more comfortable to spend hours on the saddle without a sore butt.

But the last couple of months have not been as comfy as the cover has given way and gotten flat and harder.

I tried the 3D mesh after that for about 2 months and did not like it as much either.

So what next?

Read somewhere on this forum about putting a open cell gel pad under the cover which has made a huge difference to comfort. So ordered in this one from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006060823421.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.6b1418023ItepA

I tried it on with the straps and cover supplied for about a week and loved it except for the fact that it kept moving around due to the poor quality of the elastic straps it came with. So next step was to get it under the seat cover.

Pondered on it for a while and finally took the knife to the foam.

1) Removed the staples and pulled the cover over to about 3/4the way

IMG_6334-min.JPG.e7165338269557f2a802246f8b235e9a.JPG

2) Marked out and cut out the foam, not an easy task with a bread knife 🤣

3) Placed the foam onto the seat and got the position right

4) Used rubber glue on both the seat foam and the gel pad

5) Strapped the pad down onto the seat for about an hour until the glue dried off

IMG_6341-min.JPG.5d1a8258242c1aac5f225104e814022d.JPG

6) Pulled the straps off, stuck on well and then pulled the cover back on and stapled the crap out of it

499F85BF-852A-4AE7-AAC7-2C4103B16C01-min.jpg.6d9ae229b5a59451062fa88f44220f5c.jpg

Not the nicest sight to look at, but it is asthetics vs utility. Super comfy now and will test the butt endurance this weekend on my two day trip 🙂

• Like 2

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

20 hours ago, motonap said:

One of the biggest grips I have with the T7 is the seat, not comfy for long durations on the saddle. When I got the bike almost 2 years ago I used a Colemans Mad Dog ATV seat cover, which made it sooooo much better and so much more comfortable to spend hours on the saddle without a sore butt.

But the last couple of months have not been as comfy as the cover has given way and gotten flat and harder.

I tried the 3D mesh after that for about 2 months and did not like it as much either.

So what next?

Read somewhere on this forum about putting a open cell gel pad under the cover which has made a huge difference to comfort. So ordered in this one from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006060823421.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.6b1418023ItepA

I tried it on with the straps and cover supplied for about a week and loved it except for the fact that it kept moving around due to the poor quality of the elastic straps it came with. So next step was to get it under the seat cover.

Pondered on it for a while and finally took the knife to the foam.

1) Removed the staples and pulled the cover over to about 3/4the way

IMG_6334-min.JPG.e7165338269557f2a802246f8b235e9a.JPG

2) Marked out and cut out the foam, not an easy task with a bread knife 🤣

3) Placed the foam onto the seat and got the position right

4) Used rubber glue on both the seat foam and the gel pad

5) Strapped the pad down onto the seat for about an hour until the glue dried off

IMG_6341-min.JPG.5d1a8258242c1aac5f225104e814022d.JPG

6) Pulled the straps off, stuck on well and then pulled the cover back on and stapled the crap out of it

499F85BF-852A-4AE7-AAC7-2C4103B16C01-min.jpg.6d9ae229b5a59451062fa88f44220f5c.jpg

Not the nicest sight to look at, but it is asthetics vs utility. Super comfy now and will test the butt endurance this weekend on my two day trip 🙂

Which seat did that start out as? 
also, a massive difference is made after a bit of personal “excess foam trimming” 😂. Which I’ve been neglecting recently. Running and squats etc make a huge improvement to bike comfort when your legs/arse are a bit more formed. 🏋️😁

I reckon it doubles the distance. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Which seat did that start out as? 
also, a massive difference is made after a bit of personal “excess foam trimming” 😂. Which I’ve been neglecting recently. Running and squats etc make a huge improvement to bike comfort when your legs/arse are a bit more formed. 🏋️😁

I reckon it doubles the distance. 

That started out as the OEM seat that came with the bike.

Agreed, legs & core make a huge difference, just never gotten to that level of commitment to exercise 🤣

• Haha 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

1 hour ago, motonap said:

Agreed, legs & core make a huge difference, just never gotten to that level of commitment to exercise 🤣

fyi I play Ice Hockey , my legs have nothing do do with my arse comfort. When I rode my bike from Los Angeles where I picked it up to Oregon, where I live, the last day I stood for 620 miles because I could not tolerate the pain any more.  Stock seat was first to go.  Everyone has different tolerance. Some riders on other sites have said " I can ride all day on the stock seat - have no issues with it"....but not many 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

fyi I play Ice Hockey , my legs have nothing do do with my arse comfort. When I rode my bike from Los Angeles where I picked it up to Oregon, where I live, the last day I stood for 620 miles because I could not tolerate the pain any more.  Stock seat was first to go.  Everyone has different tolerance. Some riders on other sites have said " I can ride all day on the stock seat - have no issues with it"....but not many 🙂

Agreed. With the stock seat my tailbone would start killing me after maybe 250 miles on the road. After getting the Sargent seat the tailbone cut out portion completely solved that discomfort for me. Same with width, edges of the stock seat cutting into my ass and legs- the Sargent resolved that. I'm a mountain biker so leg fitness isn't a thing for me on a motorcycle...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, motonap said:

Yeah first thing to go. +40mm rally seat went straight on. 

• Like 2

Yep, the rally seat solved pretty much all comfort issues for me.

And has the added benefit of giving a better riding position + bigger space for a toolkit underneath.

I also don't think it actually adds +4cm of effective seat height. 

It's softer and more narrow. 

• Like 1

Haven't done anything to my Tenere yet, but .....this arrived today.  Will be busy for awhile!

Report when done.

PXL_20240327_214255060.jpg

PXL_20240327_215637512.jpg

PXL_20240327_211813700.jpg

PXL_20240327_213859667.jpg

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 2

Did an initial set up on the new suspension bits and went for a little break-in run. 

20240325_164555.jpg.dc9dda44341dda13b0f5579fe8aeb32f.jpg

20240322_120835.jpg.39194db9992f6ed6e09aa1e425224cfd.jpg

20240327_191504.jpg.659d48ea46d69e6ab04bf6f530527832.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/27/2024 at 2:47 PM, SXXP said:

Haven't done anything to my Tenere yet, but .....this arrived today.  Will be busy for awhile!

Report when done.

PXL_20240327_214255060.jpg

PXL_20240327_215637512.jpg

PXL_20240327_211813700.jpg

PXL_20240327_213859667.jpg

Quick Shifter installed.  Got the ECU to recognize it.  Test ride tomorrow.

PXL_20240328_022459589.jpg.d811c1ab832500e637127358fb3be919.jpg

PXL_20240328_001837375.jpg

CAUTION!!  The lower end of the shaft/rod (both the original and the QS) is reverse threaded.  Found out the hard way and now have a stripped original shaft.  Good thing I won't be needing it!  There is absolutely nothing in the included instructions warning you of that.  I just thought I was fighting lock-tite so kept cranking on the lock nut in the conventional loosening direction trying to loosen it.

Edited by SXXP
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SXXP said:

CAUTION!!  The lower end of the shaft/rod (both the original and the QS) is reverse threaded.  Found out the hard way and now have a stripped original shaft.  Good thing I won't be needing it!  There is absolutely nothing in the included instructions warning you of that.  I just thought I was fighting lock-tite so kept cranking on the lock nut in the conventional loosening direction trying to loosen it.

having one side reverse threaded allows you to adjust the pedal by just spinning the shaft. otherwise you would be screwing one side and unscrewing the other and the pedal would not move.

Edited by elev3n
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, elev3n said:

having one side reverse threaded allows you to adjust the pedal by just spinning the shaft. otherwise you would be screwing one side and unscrewing the other and the pedal would not move.

Yup, learnt the hard way.... wasn't thinking clearly😑