Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

14 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Great look! The block distance is similar to my Anakee Wilds, which they might replace.

I've heard the Raids are excellent on wet tarmac, just like the STRs.

Have you ridden then on slightly muddy/wet forest roads yet?

Yes, to me these are very grippy and predictable. I’ve had the STRs, Mitas E07+ and the Dunlop Trailmax Mission on the rear. The Raids are better than those on Forest roads. It’s been pretty rainy here the past weeks so wet and slightly muddy forest roads are absolute no problem.  My favorite rear so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MAWERRO said:

Yes, to me these are very grippy and predictable. I’ve had the STRs, Mitas E07+ and the Dunlop Trailmax Mission on the rear. The Raids are better than those on Forest roads. It’s been pretty rainy here the past weeks so wet and slightly muddy forest roads are absolute no problem.  My favorite rear so far.

Perfect, thanks mate!

Finally done 😊

The bracket for the exhaust hanger is made from 4mm aluminium. In between the aluminium, the ABS and the upper fender there are 2 layers of thin rubber.

It's stiff, it's light and it's all mine. 😜

Reason for changing the tail is the f...ing laws in Germany. You may not have the license plate in an angle more than 30° from the vertical. More than 30° up to 45° is a violation, even more is defined as a criminal act and it costs more fine. We have a point system where every traffic violation is donated with a certain amount of points. If you have more than a certain amount you'll enjoy walking, taxi testing or ride on a bus for a longer period. And every point costs a LOT of money.

T7_von-unten.jpg

T7_Heck_schräg-rechts.jpg

T7_totale-rechts.jpg

• Like 7

@Ede-DE,

That's a great job of a European plate hanger..  

A bit of a shame about the points system as you describe it, then again I suppose that's the way of bureaucracies....

Best, 

Budo

I have fitted a shido lithium battery. That is all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, georgeinabz said:

Yamaha behaving like BMW no primer applied 1st , I would gladly pay an extra £50 for the bike to get a decent coat under the tank before it leaves the factory 

I think they've improved it from maybe '21 on - at least my tank seems to be coated fine.

But to be on the safe side, I've been using ACF-50 on the frame, tank, and almost everywhere else.

20 hours ago, georgeinabz said:

Removed fuel tank and rubbed down rusty bits underneath , nearest dealer is a 5 hour round trip still in warranty ,just not worth the hassle.

PXL_20240228_135826202.jpg

IMG-20240228-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20240228-WA0004.jpeg

PXL_20240228_135816767.jpg

I done a similar thing a few years ago but also put seam sealer around all the spot welded plates. I don’t think there’s a lot of paint, if any, under the plates. 

I could have got a new tank under warranty but thought what’s the point as it’ll go the same way.

• Like 1

I would like a decent coat in the tank! 

fuel pump hole.jpg

• Sad 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed new rear brake pads (Galfer semi-metallic). First time to change brake pads on a motorcycle for me, had a bit of an issue with getting the brake pad pin out - but @AZJW 's howto has helped me out:

Haven't ridden the bike yet, really curious how the Galfer pads feel.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Just installed new rear brake pads (Galfer semi-metallic). First time to change brake pads on a motorcycle for me, had a bit of an issue with getting the brake pad pin out - but @AZJW 's howto has helped me out:

Haven't ridden the bike yet, really curious how the Galfer pads feel.

Speaking of rear brake pads, I'm curious what kind of mileage others are getting from theirs.

The OEM rear pads on mine were worn pretty low at 8,000 miles, and I replaced them with the Galfer semi-metallic FR165-G1054 pads sold/recommended by @Camel ADV.  Immediately felt a huge improvement over the OEM pads, and inadvertently locked the rear a couple of times in the dirt until my brain recalibrated itself.

Now with 9,400 miles on them, the Galfer pads are almost gone and the original rear disc (with 17,400 miles on it) is under minimum thickness so I'll have to replace it before the bike will pass PA's annual safety inspection. 

I'm fine with the rear brake performance from the Galfer pads (no need for "The Fix" from Camel) and won't hesitate to buy those pads again, but the relatively low miles from both them, the OEM pads and the rear disc (much lower than I'm used to on other bikes I've owned) have me scratching my head a bit.

Any suggestions for other pads and aftermarket discs are welcome. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Speaking of rear brake pads, I'm curious what kind of mileage others are getting from theirs.

The OEM rear pads on mine were worn pretty low at 8,000 miles, and I replaced them with the Galfer semi-metallic FR165-G1054 pads sold/recommended by @Camel ADV.  Immediately felt a huge improvement over the OEM pads, and inadvertently locked the rear a couple of times in the dirt until my brain recalibrated itself.

Now with 9,400 miles on them, the Galfer pads are almost gone and the original rear disc (with 17,400 miles on it) is under minimum thickness so I'll have to replace it before the bike will pass PA's annual safety inspection. 

I'm fine with the rear brake performance from the Galfer pads (no need for "The Fix" from Camel) and won't hesitate to buy those pads again, but the relatively low miles from both them, the OEM pads and the rear disc (much lower than I'm used to on other bikes I've owned) have me scratching my head a bit.

Any suggestions for other pads and aftermarket discs are welcome. 

My OEM pads lasted 13400 km/2 years, which is roughly what you got out of yours. Fine for me!

Just came back from a first ride with the Galfer (FR165-G1054 as well, got them for 16€ /pair!!). They are amazing!! Much more bite, much better modulation. I also don't think I'll get The Fix for me, I'm really impressed by the brake performance.

• Like 2

With the incoming weather forecast as soon as I get home from work I am putting the batterie in for the first cold start of the year and going for a ride... I can't wait.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

My OEM pads lasted 13400 km/2 years, which is roughly what you got out of yours. Fine for me!

Just came back from a first ride with the Galfer (FR165-G1054 as well, got them for 16€ /pair!!). They are amazing!! Much more bite, much better modulation. I also don't think I'll get The Fix for me, I'm really impressed by the brake performance.

My oem pads lasted 3000 miles  because I had the brake pedal bushing hang up issue. With the FIX I have 8000 miles and the rear galfers are still thick.

• Like 2

@TenereTragic700 told me he also encountered heavy rear disk wear with sintered pads. I have Galfers installed on my bike with 1,100 miles on them and a fresh rotor. I haven't measured the thickness,  but the rotor still looks good to me. I have the CamelADV pedal and that may be avoiding any unintended brake drag.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@TenereTragic700 told me he also encountered heavy rear disk wear with sintered pads. I have Galfers installed on my bike with 1,100 miles on them and a fresh rotor. I haven't measured the thickness,  but the rotor still looks good to me. I have the CamelADV pedal and that may be avoiding any unintended brake drag.

Same for me after switching to sintered. Rotor is significantly out of spec now just shy of 30k miles. The sintered pads got about a 3:1 life to organic, so that at least offsets the cost of a rotor somewhat.

• Thanks 1

advgoats.com

13 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@random1781 do you mean 30K miles on the sintered pads?

No 30k miles on the rotor. I was actually looking back at my maintenance logs to see exactly when I changed the pads, but I forgot to write it down. I know I swapped out the OEM rear pads somewhere between 6-8k miles, and I've been using the same sintered pads since I switched, so they have something like 22-24k miles on them. They are definitely at the end of their life, but I'm waiting on the new rotor to get in to do everything at once.

Overall I'm not very hard on my brakes. I've been using sintered pads on bikes for a while now and I was a bit surprised that this rear rotor wore out so quickly. At least a replacement is reasonably priced.

• Thanks 1

advgoats.com

And for reference I just recently swapped out the OEM front pads at 28k miles.

advgoats.com

The stock front pads are sintered, but the rears are organic from what I have read and seen.

20K miles on the rotor with sintered pads seems reasonable to me.  With our planned 8K+ mile trip this summer, I am glad to hear that a rotor change will not be likely

• Like 1

Had her first MOT this week. I changed the rear pads last week which were very low after 9000 miles. EBC carbon.
I changed the fronts to EBC HH as I would normally do for any bike. The fronts still had loads left on them. I forgot how good EBC HH are. Stoppie central 😁👍. They’re awesome even on a giraffe of a bike. Actually had to lay off the brake pressure quite a bit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Had her first MOT this week. I changed the rear pads last week which were very low after 9000 miles. EBC carbon.
I changed the fronts to EBC HH as I would normally do for any bike. The fronts still had loads left on them. I forgot how good EBC HH are. Stoppie central 😁👍. They’re awesome even on a giraffe of a bike. Actually had to lay off the brake pressure quite a bit. 

MOT (called HU over here) is due this month for mine as well.

Since the front pads are still quite beefy, I didn't consider changing them. Those EBC HH's sound interesting!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

MOT (called HU over here) is due this month for mine as well.

Since the front pads are still quite beefy, I didn't consider changing them. Those EBC HH's sound interesting!

Yeah they work really well, huge stopping power on the road where I do a lot of fast commuting. Might be a bit sharp for those spending a lot of time on the dirt. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Yeah they work really well, huge stopping power on the road where I do a lot of fast commuting. Might be a bit sharp for those spending a lot of time on the dirt. 

Edgy is a good way to describe them. Haven't thought about it in a while since I've only been on big heavy bikes before where that mass evened everything out, but the Tenere is light enough to where organic might be better on the rear. Yamaha thought so! Kinda wish I had an organic set instead to try out now.

advgoats.com

Rear rack ‘mod’ - bought a top box rack and modded it a bit

came without bolts and spacers but managed to get some made

trimmed off the arms and sprayed and bunged the holes 

IMG_6332.jpeg

• Like 3