What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Not sure I’d be confident with thus ‘mod’ keep an eye on it 

Yes, I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vagrant318 said:

What is the reasoning for this?

The shoulder of the stock bolt doesn't extend all the way through to  the nut side of the shock leg....essentially part of the threaded portion of the bolt is carrying the impact loads on the nut side of the shock leg.

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

What is the reasoning for this?

There's a discussion on the subject under Suspension. I sourced a Racetorx bolt from Oregon. Link in the 7th post in this thread.

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Installed trailmax missions, new wheel bearing and rode 1100 miles on the Ga adventure trail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Installed trailmax missions, new wheel bearing and rode 1100 miles on the Ga adventure trail.

How do you like them? My stock pirelli are almost done and I'm considering the missions for my next tyre

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, elev3n said:

How do you like them? My stock pirelli are almost done and I'm considering the missions for my next tyre

Based upon my experience with Mission tires on a R1200GS, I couldn't imagine riding with that rock hard rear in the cold, wet conditions you'd sometimes encounter in Switzerland. I finally removed mine when it was less than half worn as its traction got worse and I couldn't trust it any longer.  Lots of similar reports from other users, at least in comparable climates. Here's one wet weather comment from the UK at 2:30 in the video:

Living with Yamaha’s Ténéré 700: MCN’s long-term test verdict - Bing video

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

Based upon my experience with Mission tires on a R1200GS, I couldn't imagine riding with that rock hard rear in the cold, wet conditions you'd sometimes encounter in Switzerland. I finally removed mine when it was less than half worn as its traction got worse and I couldn't trust it any longer.  Lots of similar reports from other users, at least in comparable climates. Here's one wet weather comment from the UK at 2:30 in the video:

Living with Yamaha’s Ténéré 700: MCN’s long-term test verdict - Bing video

thanks for the feedback...that's annoying, I use the T7 as my daily commuter, I need a tyre that that can be reliable on all weather conditions

• Like 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, elev3n said:

thanks for the feedback...that's annoying, I use the T7 as my daily commuter, I need a tyre that that can be reliable on all weather conditions

If you're riding pavement,  IMHO, Yamaha got it right with the Pirellis as they're a great road tire, off road? Not so much. Others that have ridden the stock Pirellis will chime in about their wet weather pavement behavior, but the limited experience I've had with them in the wet was predictable. 

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

26 minutes ago, AZJW said:

If you're riding pavement,  IMHO, Yamaha got it right with the Pirellis as they're a great road tire, off road? Not so much. Others that have ridden the stock Pirellis will chime in about their wet weather pavement behavior, but the limited experience I've had with them in the wet was predictable. 

I haven't done much riding in the rain with the STRs, but here in Europe many people and magazines claim their wet tarmac performance is excellent.

I've heard the same about Trailmax Raids (!) - plus, these seem to have a good longevity. They're said to have much better offroad performance compared to the STRs. I'm considering switching to them from my beloved Anakee Wilds, which aren't great in the wet.

10 hours ago, elev3n said:

I had no issues in the cold and wet. It rained on me 2 days for about 5 hours per day with temps in the 50s and I had 0 issues. The tires did great in hard pack, which most any tire does but they were terrible in anything loose. Me being in s ga I deal with a lot of sand and these are the worst tires I've ever used in deep sand and deep gravel. I don't know how many times I had the front tuck or the rear spin around. I never went down but had way too many "almosts". If you ride highway and hard pack only, I wouldn't hesitate to use these but if you deal with sand or gravel, I wouldn't recommend them. If I use them again, it will be just the rear with a knobby front. 

And yes, the rear is super stiff which makes trail side repairs a pain but trade off is you can ride on it flat and supposedly the are 10-15k miles tires. 

They pushed me through the mud without issue. I thought I was done for. Lol it's deeper then it looks too, the rear of the swingarm was in the mud....

20240428_143132.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recovering from surgery so only thing I’ve done today(or at all the past few weeks) is toss Camels new rad guards on and weigh the bike. Included a shot from the D100 in April.

6D83854F-08E2-436A-A4A9-34B1AF1699A5.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

• Like 9

Put back on TKC 80 tires  and startnumber for upcoming  Travel Trophy event to Croatia and offroad trip to the Alps.

20240509_112332.jpg

• Like 1

Oem radiator and chain guard

ImmagineWhatsApp2024-05-10ore19_13.04_7a32e39c.jpg.f424401d4ef25afd727be240d9c3cfec.jpg

Posted (edited)

A while back I had added  foot peg lowering brackets to ease the transition from sitting to standing.  The foot pegs were lowered 20 mm and moved back ? mm.  This, along with 20 mm bar risers made it much more comfortable standing and riding.

https://a.co/d/edI4g4Z

PXL_20240511_234951762.jpg.62cf25e54f10f9e191e7ae1bb62b1692.jpg

As expected with the lowering brackets I ran out of brake lever adjustability in the down direction, so fabbed an adapter, as others have done, to lower the brake tip 25 mm.  As I had purchased the Camel Fix brake lever with the street tip, I didn't care for how far it stuck out so I chose to attach the adapter to the inside of the lever arm to take up some of the "stickoutedness" of the lever tip. 

PXL_20240511_235915459.jpg

PXL_20240512_001830845.jpg

PXL_20240512_001935500.jpg

PXL_20240512_004129755.jpg

The tip is a little too low right now, but I have to ride the bike and adjust it up to my liking.

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SXXP said:

I had added  foot peg lowering brackets earlier to ease the transition from sitting to standing.  Foot pegs are lowered 20 mm and moved back ? mm.  Along with 20 mm bar risers I am much more comfortable  standing and riding now.

https://a.co/d/edI4g4Z

PXL_20240511_234951762.jpg.62cf25e54f10f9e191e7ae1bb62b1692.jpg

As expected, I ran out of brake lever adjustability in the down direction, so fabbed an adapter, as others have done, to lower the brake tip 25 mm.  As I had purchased the Camel Fix brake lever with the street tip, I didn't care for how far it stuck out so I chose to attach the adapter to the inside of the lever arm to take up some of the "stickoutedness" of the lever tip. 

PXL_20240511_235915459.jpg

PXL_20240512_001830845.jpg

PXL_20240512_001935500.jpg

PXL_20240512_004129755.jpg

The tip is a little too low right now, but I have to ride the bike and adjust it up to my liking.

My brake pedal is really high, like if you think of the angle between the top of your where your brake petal tip is and the centerpoint of that platform part of your peg, mine mirrors that angle upwards. It seems so high that I periodically question whether this is a good idea, but I think I'm just gaslighting myself since I've never had any problems with it.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, random1781 said:

My brake pedal is really high, like if you think of the angle between the top of your where your brake petal tip is and the centerpoint of that platform part of your peg, mine mirrors that angle upwards. It seems so high that I periodically question whether this is a good idea, but I think I'm just gaslighting myself since I've never had any problems with it.

That's kinda how my pedal sat with the foot peg lowering bracket and the lever adjusted pretty much so it was just above hitting a hard stop if I really mashed on the pedal.   I found myself having to lift my foot off the peg to use the brake.  I didn't like that.  Hence the lowering adapter plate.

Edited by SXXP
  • Like 2

Added the Perun Side Carriers/Rack that I had received in early April.  I was looking for something low profile that didn't take away too much from the lines of the bike (the Tenere is a good looking beast as Adv bikes go IMO!).  I have the Tusk Highland X2 rackless soft luggage and these Perun racks should take some of the load off the side panels.  There was some concern if the rack would fit with a high mounted exhaust - no problem there,  and I probably won't have to use the exhaust  heat shield that came with the Tusk luggage.

PXL_20240514_023746659.jpg.accb14e125710c53db23a15609e7a155.jpg

PXL_20240514_023620730.jpg

PXL_20240514_023635547.jpg

PXL_20240514_023652001.jpg

PXL_20240514_023710698.jpg

PXL_20240514_034240192.MP.jpg

Edited by SXXP

On 5/8/2024 at 2:39 PM, Tenerider said:

I haven't done much riding in the rain with the STRs, but here in Europe many people and magazines claim their wet tarmac performance is excellent.

I've heard the same about Trailmax Raids (!) - plus, these seem to have a good longevity. They're said to have much better offroad performance compared to the STRs. I'm considering switching to them from my beloved Anakee Wilds, which aren't great in the wet.

Did a full winter on the stock STR's down to minus 10*c and all the cold wet England provides lol. They did great on tarmac have to say.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 5:25 PM, Snowman said:

Recovering from surgery so only thing I’ve done today(or at all the past few weeks) is toss Camels new rad guards on and weigh the bike. Included a shot from the D100 in April.

6D83854F-08E2-436A-A4A9-34B1AF1699A5.jpeg

IMG_4414.jpeg

What scale are you using there buddy?

Had a quick look on amazon but it was only bringing up kitchen and bathroom scales

5 minutes ago, sunndog said:

What scale are you using there buddy?

Had a quick look on amazon but it was only bringing up kitchen and bathroom scales

I've had that scale in my cart for a while but haven't purchased it.

Amazon Basics Digital Postal Scale, Heavy Duty, Aluminium Platform, 440 lb Capacity, 1 Ounce Readability, Black https://a.co/d/cKcySJp

2 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Ah postal scale. 

440lb though, my bike will never get below that, unfortunately 

There's a 660lbs option. That's the one I was trying to link.

Edited by Tseven
  • Like 1