Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

4 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Changed the tires with the new tire changer. Getting the tires off was easy but the changer is not recommended for tubes. And the tires are TL type "Heidenau K60 Scout".

Man I was sweating and yelling and in the end I succeeded.

Always use talcum powder on all rubber parts that must stay flexible under pressure.  It's extremly important on the cush rubbers that I throw in a plastic bag with the talcum and shake it. They don't wear out that fast .

Vorn.jpg

Hinten.jpg

Cush_rubber.jpg

It is because I got the K60 Scouts that I went OUTEX tubeless.  The Rabaconda street is also not recommended for tubes but I did two with tubes- just being very careful- was Pirelli MT 21's

@Windblown A fireplace, riding boots, and changing tires... you're the first guy that ever made it look romantic

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

11 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@Windblown A fireplace, riding boots, and changing tires... you're the first guy that ever made it look romantic

Bwahahahahaha.  I'm dead...

😆

Edited by Windblown

On V shaped profiles the front and back wheel have to point in opposite directions. In the back the dirt has to be pressed out of the profile during acceleration, in the front you are either free wheeling or brake. Opposite direction of power! 🫡

Beside that there's an arrow on the side wall to indicate the correct mounting direction.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

On V shaped profiles the front and back wheel have to point in opposite directions. In the back the dirt has to be pressed out of the profile during acceleration, in the front you are either free wheeling or brake. Opposite direction of power! 🫡

Beside that there's an arrow on the side wall to indicate the correct mounting direction.

Ede-DE is correct. I checked 4x before mounting my front K60 Scout to make sure it was facing the way it was intended.

I hated the K60 front on my F800GS.

It was the sketchiest scariest tyre I have ever used.

Needless to say it was binned when only partially worn.

Pirelli Scorpion Rally is my go to for everything.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

23 hours ago, SO_Rider said:

Installed a remapped ECU from 2Wheel DynoWorks. I ordered this last year when they were offering a slight discount and just got around to installing it. I had ordered an O2 eliminator (bolt for the pipe and electrical connector) but the electrical connector wasn't compatible, (slightly too big). Contacted  2WDW and they indicated I should not install the eliminator (contrary to what I thought I saw on this forum). So, just covered it with tape and left the connection on the pipe. 

Bike started right up and runs smooth. Check engine light is on as expected. Took the bike out for a short rip. First impressions are favorable. Slight power increase is noticeable, overall smoother through the band. Snatchy throttle at low speeds is definitely improved, which is the primary reason I purchased this upgrade. Happy customer thus far.  

20220515_152150.jpg

So, no need to unplug the  O2 sensor?

1 hour ago, kainic said:

So, no need to unplug the  O2 sensor?

Sorry, I realize that may not have been totally clear. Yes, I disconnected the O2 sensor from where it plugs into the ECU (upper end) and put tape over the male/female. I left the sensor connected to the pipe. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SO_Rider said:

Sorry, I realize that may not have been totally clear. Yes, I disconnected the O2 sensor from where it plugs into the ECU (upper end) and put tape over the male/female. I left the sensor connected to the pipe. 

Very clear.  Thanks!

12 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I hated the K60 front on my F800GS.

It was the sketchiest scariest tyre I have ever used.

Needless to say it was binned when only partially worn.

Pirelli Scorpion Rally is my go to for everything.

I have about 4000 miles on my K60 Scouts and no issues on or off road. I recommended them to a friend with a Triumph 1200 GT after he went through 2 sets of 75/25(dirt) tires and he told me that he has never felt so confident in the dirt. Interestingly he lost 1 mpg in gas mileage with the K60 Scouts.  I have never had the front end wash out or slip. Maybe I ride slower than you do 🙂

Installed the Camel Adv Brake FIX folding tip. Quick install. Very sturdy as are all Camel products. I like that it is 20mm farther forward than the fixed brake tip. Able to use my toe and not the ball of my foot to press it. IMG_9394.jpeg.d55b79e30925ed2b178355a3a74c50e3.jpegIMG_9384.jpeg.caa993a63542f71aa331380deffef7bc.jpeg

• Like 3

I just order a set (front and back) of pirelli mt21 rallycross, I am looking forward to try the T7 off road capability with good shoes on ...  

image.png.ca114f070dcca1ad31960f72e3e1f0c4.png

image.png.3392858fafe55d9c0c1ebd6383e9eaf1.png

• Like 2

Had it wrapped a 2nd time. First was full of scratches from drops and falls already.

0-02-06-b735d0183e50963d815e396ad1231b3d54145b7d389606957711bc1803302c07_4ac3a205ca204188.jpg.5b05954bd0d64b78b81f58b2337feb93.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, maddog123 said:

I just order a set (front and back) of pirelli mt21 rallycross, I am looking forward to try the T7 off road capability with good shoes on ...  

image.png.ca114f070dcca1ad31960f72e3e1f0c4.png

image.png.3392858fafe55d9c0c1ebd6383e9eaf1.png

They are awesome off road but howl like a banshee on the highway. I got so annoyed I took them off at 2000 miles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NeilW said:

They are awesome off road but howl like a banshee on the highway. I got so annoyed I took them off at 2000 miles. 

yeah we will see but with my exhaust i doubt I’ll hear them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, maddog123 said:

yeah we will see but with my exhaust i doubt I’ll hear them. 

Yeah plus the more you ride the less you hear in general.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

advgoats.com

On 5/29/2023 at 3:52 AM, Stevoh said:

Fitted a new rear tyre, decided to give GOLDENTYRE GT723,  140/80/18 a go, not bad was my initial thoughts.

Damn close to the swingarm but🤔🤔.

IMG_20230529_133005971_MP.jpg

You ain't kidding... I just got a GT723RH in and planned to put it on my dirt wheel for the T700 but it's huge compared to other 140/80-18's on the market. Not sure I want to run that close to the swingarm and I'm definitely not going to mount a longer chain for just one tire.   I wish tires that have a specific size rating were at least close to the same physical size. 

From left to right below: GT723RH, Kenda Big Block, and a Tusk DSport - all of them are 140/80-18 tires... Based on a few other 140/80-18 tires I have around I'd say the Kenda runs closest to standard as it is about the same physical size as Motoz and Pirelli tires I have in that same size. That kind of size variance impacts bike geometry, gearing and seat height.

20240410_100514.jpg.0c8f80fa4ac9a2fee50efaef3705819a.jpg 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Windblown said:

You ain't kidding... I just got a GT723RH in and planned to put it on my dirt wheel for the T700 but it's huge compared to other 140/80-18's on the market. Not sure I want to run that close to the swingarm and I'm definitely not going to mount a longer chain for just one tire.   I wish tires that have a specific size rating were at least close to the same physical size. 

From left to right below: GT723RH, Kenda Big Block, and a Tusk DSport - all of them are 140/80-18 tires... Based on a few other 140/80-18 tires I have around I'd say the Kenda runs closest to standard as it is about the same physical size as Motoz and Pirelli tires I have in that same size. That kind of size variance impacts bike geometry, gearing and seat height.

that's a huge difference in size, you're gonna pack mud like crazy being that close to the swing arm

6 hours ago, elev3n said:

that's a huge difference in size, you're gonna pack mud like crazy being that close to the swing arm

Wouldn't be optimal with stock chain length and gearing for sure.  I think I'm just going to mount it on a different bike that has more swing arm clearance. Plenty of other tires to choose from that work fine on the T700 without having to make changes just to mount it. 

After seeing the damage to @random1781's swingarm, I would put a tie wrap or two in front of the tire if running a larger than stock rear tire.  While he did not think tire rub was a factor in his case, a little insurance is a good thing. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Windblown said:

Wow that Tusk looks more aggresive in your pic than I originally thought.  If its as quiet as the reviews say it is I cannot wait to try that tire out!

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

Wow that Tusk looks more aggresive in your pic than I originally thought.  If its as quiet as the reviews say it is I cannot wait to try that tire out!

The DSport is a decent tire for sure. I've been running one on the T700 now and not noticed it getting overly loud. It's about half worn at this point. It's a fairly hard compound similar to the Motoz tires so it holds up well considering the aggressive design and it  hasn't caused me any grief on or off pavement but it does give up a little traction on cold wet roots and rocks compared to softer compounds like the AX41, Michelin Wilds, or Kenda BBs.

Still, I think it's a solid choice for those looking for a good tire with a strong dirt bias.  

• Like 3

Just now, Windblown said:

The DSport is a decent tire for sure. I've been running one on the T700 now and not noticed it getting overly loud. It's about half worn at this point. It's a fairly hard compound similar to the Motoz tires so it holds up well considering the aggressive design and it  hasn't caused me any grief on or off pavement but it does give up a little traction on cold wet roots and rocks compared to softer compounds like the AX41, Michelin Wilds, or Kenda BBs.

Still, I think it's a solid choice for those looking for a good tire with a strong dirt bias.  

Half tread at what mileage?

Also that comparison pic is ridiculous. Eye opening seeing them side by side like that.

• Like 1

advgoats.com