Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

57 minutes ago, random1781 said:

Half tread at what mileage?

Also that comparison pic is ridiculous. Eye opening seeing them side by side like that.

Ya know... As I typed that I knew someone would ask and it's a reasonable question for sure but I'm not certain.  but I'll do some math...

I initially installed the DSport on a different bike and went on a couple of rides before swapping it out for something stickier on wet rocks and roots (early spring last year), maybe 300 miles? Then installed it on a spare wheel for my T700 only ran it a little this winter with studs installed, maybe 200 miles?  Then pulled the studs this spring and have put another 1000-1200 or so on the bike.   

So I'm gonna say 1600 miles give or take. Center knobs on the new tire are about 15.5mm deep and I'm seeing 8mm on the center knobs on the used tire.  I'll run them down a little ways more before yanking it as it's still working well. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 1

Just now, Windblown said:

Ya know... As I typed that I knew someone would ask and it's a reasonable question for sure but I'm not certain.  but I'll do some math...

I initially installed the DSport on a different bike and went on a couple of rides before swapping it out for something stickier on wet rocks and roots (early spring last year), maybe 300 miles? Then installed it on a spare wheel for my T700 only ran it a little this winter with studs installed, maybe 200 miles?  Then pulled the studs this spring and have put another 1000-1200 or so on the bike.   

So I'm gonna say 1600 miles give or take. Center knobs on the new tire are about 15.5mm deep and I'm seeing 8mm on the center knobs on the used tire.  I'll run them down a little ways more before yanking it as it's still working well. 

Ha, yeah I try to log everything I do to my bike but inevitably forget to enter something in. Thanks for doing the math though!

• Like 1

advgoats.com

On 4/11/2024 at 10:44 AM, Windblown said:

The DSport is a decent tire for sure. I've been running one on the T700 now and not noticed it getting overly loud. It's about half worn at this point. It's a fairly hard compound similar to the Motoz tires so it holds up well considering the aggressive design and it  hasn't caused me any grief on or off pavement but it does give up a little traction on cold wet roots and rocks compared to softer compounds like the AX41, Michelin Wilds, or Kenda BBs.

Still, I think it's a solid choice for those looking for a good tire with a strong dirt bias.  

Ah, my mistake.  I see now  that is the DS tire.  Thats why it looks so agressive.  The label on the tire says adventure so I thought it was the new 2track ADV tire.  Thats the one Im after.  Sorry about that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

Ah, my mistake.  I see now  that is the DS tire.  Thats why it looks so agressive.  The label on the tire says adventure so I thought it was the new 2track ADV tire.  Thats the one Im after.  Sorry about that.

I know a fellow running a Tusk 2Track on a Tuareg that rides a sporty pace on road and off. So far he says he is liking the Tusk 2track a lot and reports they are wearing well. Perhaps @Hollybrook will give us a review when he gets some miles on his. 

• Like 1

My 2Track rear is not going on until just before our TAT trip beginning in July. 

Like many others, I would like to hear some higher mileage reports.  The longest I have found is just over 3,500 miles and was favorable. 

Edited by Hollybrook

Thats sounding promising @Hollybrook.  Since I dont do coast to coast trips I've  come to the realization I dont want a tire to last 10k miles. I think 4 maybe 5 is good enough for me.  Then I'm ready to change into something different anyway.  That and when I change a tire, thats the time for me to go through and check bearings, seals, re- grease etc.  I like to find stuff that needs to be done before it breaks. Like this winter- I had my shock re-done and found a bad wheel bearing when re-assembling everything.  (@ under 9k miles!)

Edited by DT675
  • Like 1

Kyle Bradshaw posted a 1,000 mile review of the 2Track on his YouTube channel with some additional comments covering use up to 3,500 miles.

Today I bought some small "Riverside FB100 1,5 l" frame bicycle bags at Decathlon which I strapped on my SW Motech crash bars.

Had to place two extra Velcro straps to make them fit a bit better, but am satisfied with them. I think a nice (and affordable) upgrade to store some quick acces stuff like disc lock etc.

IMG-20240414-WA0021.jpg.0c7219bae89a42156b15e49e39adcd77.jpgIMG-20240414-WA0018(1).jpg.5f4a04323ef40ea20f6b39fbe3658756.jpg

Yesterday also fitted some hand protection guards.

Bought the Acerbis Endurance-X Tenere 700 version.

It was a bit a gamble, since I could not find any video's or pictures yet of these handguards on other T7's on the internet yet.

The T7 version comes with an threaded adapter which replaces the OEM bar end weights. Also a set of extra spacers is delivered which make them fit a bit better on the brackets. Overall I found the fitment not great during fitting (brackets are a bit to close to the brake line and clutch cable in my opinion) but overall they are for sure a good upgrade comparing to the OEM handguards.

IMG-20240414-WA0023.jpg.471159fbf200a1832da4c07e061ece0f.jpgIMG-20240414-WA0024.jpg.f439db4e80ef7aeb4f6b7ff3729971ed.jpg

In case you want to see more details about them, I also made a small video in which you can see the small concern about the brake line and clutch cable for example 

Edited by Zefiros
  • Like 3

Started to build a rack for my soft luggage. Stainless tubes. There's still some work to do.

Reason for that is that I can do it myself. It keeps the luggage away from the exhaust and wheel. Nothing more. And it's easy to mount and dismount. If I don't need it it will not be on the bike.

Rack_Stainless_Tube.jpg

Rack-1.jpg

Rack-2.jpg

Rack-2a.jpg.f4e47fc1e5b623a15010634d3d88e56e.jpg

Rack-3.jpg

Rack-4.jpg

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 8

Valves checked and adjusted. Exhaust was just out of spec on the tight side. Intake was just barely in spec (tight), adjusted to mid spec. At 40,000 kms.

New plastic all around.  R-tec on the back, Camel on the front to fit the Acerbis tank. Removed the crash bars, got to get the Camel rad guard now I guess!

Laced the stock hubs with 19 and 17 inch rims. Dunlop Mutant tires for the treads. Got the Woody's "Dakar" wheel set for off road.

Nice "easy pull" clutch perch and lever from 1fngr, with matching brake lever. Makes a noticeable difference with clutch pull. I've tried the Camel setup, feels about the same.

Tried my hand at some vinyl wrap, need to make some adjustments, but doesn't look too bad for the first go. 

20240420_160839.jpg.7d8263d71cf1ce437903ce6276a77599.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, sshat said:

Valves checked and adjusted. Exhaust was just out of spec on the tight side. Intake was just barely in spec (tight), adjusted to mid spec. At 40,000 kms.

New plastic all around.  R-tec on the back, Camel on the front to fit the Acerbis tank. Removed the crash bars, got to get the Camel rad guard now I guess!

Laced the stock hubs with 19 and 17 inch rims. Dunlop Mutant tires for the treads. Got the Woody's "Dakar" wheel set for off road.

Nice "easy pull" clutch perch and lever from 1fngr, with matching brake lever. Makes a noticeable difference with clutch pull. I've tried the Camel setup, feels about the same.

Tried my hand at some vinyl wrap, need to make some adjustments, but doesn't look too bad for the first go. 

Very nice supermoto-ish look!

5 hours ago, sshat said:

Love those wheels! I just sold the supermoto wheels from my drz, I need those now lol

20240420_155533.jpg.79331238f55e4a2239664fb11300f94d.jpg

Fitted a Rally Raid 85nm spring this week and it's made a world of difference, much better on and off road, best mod I've made by far

• Like 4

On 4/5/2024 at 6:25 AM, SO_Rider said:

Installed a remapped ECU from 2Wheel DynoWorks. I ordered this last year when they were offering a slight discount and just got around to installing it. I had ordered an O2 eliminator (bolt for the pipe and electrical connector) but the electrical connector wasn't compatible, (slightly too big). Contacted  2WDW and they indicated I should not install the eliminator (contrary to what I thought I saw on this forum). So, just covered it with tape and left the connection on the pipe. 

Bike started right up and runs smooth. Check engine light is on as expected. Took the bike out for a short rip. First impressions are favorable. Slight power increase is noticeable, overall smoother through the band. Snatchy throttle at low speeds is definitely improved, which is the primary reason I purchased this upgrade. Happy customer thus far.  

20220515_152150.jpg

Ran a couple hundred miles over 2 days and so far am completely happy with the remapped ECU from 2WDW, Bike runs slightly cooler and throttle snatchiness is much reduced.  Also, not sure why/how but the engine light that was presumably related to removing the O2 sensor disappeared. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike99 said:

20240420_155533.jpg.79331238f55e4a2239664fb11300f94d.jpg

Fitted a Rally Raid 85nm spring this week and it's made a world of difference, much better on and off road, best mod I've made by far

Mine arrived Friday and I will install it shortly.  I can't wait to try it out as the OEM spring(s) suck!

• Like 1

Mounted some trailmax missions. I hope I never have to take the rear off on the trail somewhere. Thats a stiff tire. I also replaced the front wheel bearings and the cush drive bearing. 

• Like 1

Today I added a usb charger in the open spot on the right of the dash. Its a lot to take off for something so simple but not a difficult job.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

Today I added a usb charger in the open spot on the right of the dash. Its a lot to take off for something so simple but not a difficult job.

Agreed - I put a Voltmeter/usb there.

2 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I stubbornly refused to take everything off when I did this. Pretty sure it took me longer than it would have to remove the panels, but I succeeded.

I wish there were more reputable brands that made high output panel mount chargers though.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

advgoats.com

Raised the air gap (Tractive closed cartridges) from 123mm to 135mm. It's now 5mm higher than the Touratech recommendation (15mm higher than Tractive), and I expect a noticeable plusher ride.

Didn't measure sag yet, I've removed one 5mm preload spacer since I've removed my crash bars about half a year ago. Test ride will follow.

Changed oil today for the first time in my life, I went with Motul 5100 10w40.

Everyhing went really smooth, I'm actually surprised how easy it was for someone with close to no experience tinkering with bikes.

The new oil filter I screwed on with a 2-hand grip and the oil drain plug I just used a wrench untill I felt it getting stuck then I gave the wrench a couple of taps. 

Went out for a test ride after I filled up with new oil and everything ran smooth so I guess everything worked, no oil was dripping so I'm guessing it was tight enough.

I didn't replace the crush washer because I'm not 100% sure how it looks and it might either have fell into my oil bucket or it was stuck on the drain plug and I wasn't able to get it off (looked like it was one stuck on the plug but I really couldn't tell). Don't think I have the right tools to get it off even if it was stuck on the plug.  

The next service is in 5000km anyway, hope the dealer can sort that out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nullsson said:

Changed oil today for the first time in my life, I went with Motul 5100 10w40.

Everyhing went really smooth, I'm actually surprised how easy it was for someone with close to no experience tinkering with bikes.

The new oil filter I screwed on with a 2-hand grip and the oil drain plug I just used a wrench untill I felt it getting stuck then I gave the wrench a couple of taps. 

Went out for a test ride after I filled up with new oil and everything ran smooth so I guess everything worked, no oil was dripping so I'm guessing it was tight enough.

I didn't replace the crush washer because I'm not 100% sure how it looks and it might either have fell into my oil bucket or it was stuck on the drain plug and I wasn't able to get it off (looked like it was one stuck on the plug but I really couldn't tell). Don't think I have the right tools to get it off even if it was stuck on the plug.  

The next service is in 5000km anyway, hope the dealer can sort that out.

That's how I do it, sound like you did a good job. Did you recheck your oil after your ride ? I always recheck once the oil gets everywhere it sometime get lower so I re top it off. I didn't replace my crush washer ether I wasn't aware of it when I purchase my filter and oil and the dealer didn't tell me but I wouldn't sweat it espicially if it look fine.      

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maddog123 said:

That's how I do it, sound like you did a good job. Did you recheck your oil after your ride ? I always recheck once the oil gets everywhere it sometime get lower so I re top it off. I didn't replace my crush washer ether I wasn't aware of it when I purchase my filter and oil and the dealer didn't tell me but I wouldn't sweat it espicially if it look fine.      

Thats great to hear! Regarding checking the oil im note sure I followed the right procedure, I filled the bike with oil and then when the glass looked full I started it and let it idle for a minute then I put the bike upright and checked the oil level. I had to do this a couple of times, maybe I started it once or twice with less oil than it needed but when I was sure it was between the two marks I took it out for a small ride and it looked fine afterwards.

1 minute ago, nullsson said:

Thats great to hear! Regarding checking the oil im note sure I followed the right procedure, I filled the bike with oil and then when the glass looked full I started it and let it idle for a minute then I put the bike upright and checked the oil level. I had to do this a couple of times, maybe I started it once or twice with less oil than it needed but when I was sure it was between the two marks I took it out for a small ride and it looked fine afterwards.

ha I see, that works, personally I fill it until the glass get to the top line or near it while the bike is level, I go for a quick ride or idle for 10 minutes (if let running idle make sure the bike is level), I let it sit for a few minutes for the oil to settle back down and check again, top it of if necessary and it's done no need to recheck . It's basically the same thing you have done only it is more streamlined. 

Also did you oil the gasket on the oil filter before screwing it on ? I also add a bit of oil in it before screwing it on but its not paramount but it help the circuit to be completed sooner.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maddog123 said:

ha I see, that works, personally I fill it until the glass get to the top line or near it while the bike is level, I go for a quick ride or idle for 10 minutes (if let running idle make sure the bike is level), I let it sit for a few minutes for the oil to settle back down and check again, top it of if necessary and it's done no need to recheck . It's basically the same thing you have done only it is more streamlined. 

Also did you oil the gasket on the oil filter before screwing it on ? I also add a bit of oil in it before screwing it on but its not paramount but it help the circuit to be completed sooner.   

That sounds like a much better approach and less risk of harming the engine, I'll try that next time! 🙂

Is idling for 10~ minutes necessary? I think I only let it idle for like 1-2 minutes max when I was doing it

No I didn't fill it with oil all I did was dipping my finger in some oil and put it on the o-ring of the new filter. I should try that as well, thanks!

• Like 1