Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 charcoal canister removal

LateApex

On 6/4/2021 at 9:59 PM, ManBearPig said:

The issue here is there is no purge valve. The canister just vents straight back into the throttle bodies full-time. I took mine off to get rid of the hard hot starts. 

My T7 has recently started the doing the "hard hot starts".  Does/did removing the canister and plugging the throttle body openings fix this problem?

21 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

My T7 has recently started the doing the "hard hot starts".  Does/did removing the canister and plugging the throttle body openings fix this problem?

Sounds like there have been mixed results re: canister removal/hot starts...  I removed my canister 3 weeks ago, my "hot-start" issue was very random so I really can't say if this has solved the issue for me yet.  Regardless its a useless piece of equipment and easy to remove.

3 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Yes, 100%. 

I’m on a 1200 mile trip now. Hasn’t done it once. 

Can someone explain what the advantages to this mod other than increasing emissions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

Can someone explain what the advantages to this mod other than increasing emissions?

Adding lightness & increasing simplicity.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LateApex said:

Adding lightness & increasing simplicity.

What kind of weight are we talking?

14 hours ago, Charles De Mar said:

If your bike has a hot start issue this should remedy it. My bike has had this problem since new. 

50 minutes ago, WVdirt308 said:

If your bike has a hot start issue this should remedy it. My bike has had this problem since new. 

No hot start issue. 

1 hour ago, Charles De Mar said:

I have been watching this post with great interest. I do not have my bike yet so I cannot speak from experience, but a "Hot Start" issue is worrisome. I can follow the logic in the thinking, hopefully this modification is actually helpful and not just a placebo.

No doubt that removing crap and clearing space around the engine is always good for cooling.

Removing weight... I think the greater problem lays with my waistline.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I guess when I say hot start. It's always after the bike sits in direct sunlight after parking somewhere. If it's kept in the shade then no worries. I can recreate it almost every time on a hot day. My bike is also black, which can't help. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, Charles De Mar said:

My digital scale showed exactly 16 oz.

• Like 1

Gush, it's not only weight and simplicity benefits but removing possibility of fuel tank contamination with charcoal in some cases.

Emission benefits by keeping this stupid EVAP idea are NONE. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, projected said:

My digital scale showed exactly 16 oz.

Just kick this topic back up as it's mentioned in another one.
Not sure what to stash in a hot place but 16 oz is almost halve a kilo (just to let the metric world have a better idea of the real weight)
doesn't seem much but might be worth it.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:26 AM, duibhceK said:

My European model does have one, but it was an early demo bike. So I'm not sure if that's a general thing.

My 2020 also have it and i think it's already necessary for Euro4.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

@Dr. Tomash That's a good alternative to the 2" pvc tube I'm using as it looks to be wider, utilizes the cavity better and can hold more " stuff".  What country are you referring to and do you have contact info for who builds those? Thanks. 

Edit: hard to tell from the picture angle,  but that might interfere with the Camel one finger clutch arm?

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Dr. Tomash That's a good alternative to the 2" pvc tube I'm using as it looks to be wider, utilizes the cavity better and can hold more " stuff".  What country are you referring to and do you have contact info for who builds those? Thanks. 

Edit: hard to tell from the picture angle,  but that might interfere with the Camel one finger clutch arm?

@AZJW  the guy who builds this is from Slovakia. Unfortunatelly he doesnt speak any other language then slovak. I will call him and ask him to send me better pictures and dimensions/gap between the clutch arm and the tool box

Edited by Dr. Tomash
  • Like 1

Just a note on 2021 models. There's an EVAP solenoid valve added in the system, mounted on top right side of the fairing (looking from the back to front). Procedure is the same. Other than choosing to remove the tubing and 1) leaving the valve attached to the connector, 2) simply removing the valve too, 3) removing the valve and making a dummy load to be attached to the connector.

Looks like I may be trying this mod shortly. I had my first hot start issue today. I rode the bike for an hour, left it sitting in the sun for around 2 hours and it took me 5 attempts to get the bike to start.

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 4:48 PM, LateApex said:

InkedIMG_0014_LI.thumb.jpg.76b748f9fcbc85930acf08d210df790a.jpg

I also ordered 1/4 Motion Pro gray tygon fuel line off Amazon to run from the fuel fill overflow.  I plan to route it to take advantage of the original canister vent line routing in front of the countershaft.  Be aware, if you overfill the tank or drop the bike, fuel will now run out of this hose possibly onto your foot/shifter/skid plate/etc.  Reinstall the roll over valve (note the UP cast into it) & attach the new hose to the bottom of it - Thanks Tenererian

Can the tank drain nipple just be plugged, rather than installing a line to discharge down bellow? I am thinking that if I drop the bike and can't pick it up right away fuel is going to be dumped like crazy.  Is that what the Roll Over valve is for?

Here is why I ask, my 2021 has been in the shop for about 1 1/2 months. My bike was having issues with the Hard Hot Starts. Because it is still under warranty Yamaha had the mechanics go over 40 different parts to figure out what the issue was. They think that it's the canister. It seems that Yamaha might issue a recall to deal with the problem. But that is a may be. At this time. The thing is that they are aware of the canister problem.

Yamaha is shipping a new canister to the dealer sometimes this week. May be that will solve the issue for now. I assume until the canister gets saturated again.

I will run the bike for a while to see if the problem goes away for good. If not, then I'm taking out the canister. I am planning a trip through America,

from the US to Argentina and back. Then north to Alaska. Before I set out on my trip I will be taking the canister out for sure.

1 hour ago, Yasenia said:

Can the tank drain nipple just be plugged

No.
This will get rid of fuel you might spill when filling up of when you park the bike in the sun after you filled him up.
That fuel will otherwise accumulate around the filling neck and eventually leave around the gas cap over your tank and while driving towards your private parts and that may give the "great balls of fire" song another meaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Yasenia said:

LOL! Good thing I don't have balls. I suppose it would be more like a burning oyster. 🤪 

Assumption is the mother of all... should have at least looked at the profile pic.
There is a Blue oyster cult staying with music, maybe add a flaming red oyster cult.

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, Dr. Tomash said:

One guy from my country is doing the replacement tool kit for the charcoal canister 

132248033.jpg

132248033-1.jpg

132248033-3.jpg

132248033-4.jpg

132248033-6.jpg

132248033-7.jpg

That is such an amazing idea. My only concern is that it doesn't looking like is water proof. I ride rain or shine and it seems that the cover is just over the end of the tool box. If he designed it in a way to keep water out that would be great. Tools don't do well when they get wet. They can rust really fast. May be add some rubber seals all around the edge to create a seal. It would have to be some good rubber that doesn't get hard and brittle with the heat from the engine. I would LOVE to get one!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to give an update, today was the first "hot" day we have had since I removed the cannister. The bike sat in the sun at 90 degrees for 3 hours and fired right up.  Ive only had the bike for 2 months and 2k miles but ive had hard starting issues 5 times in those 2 months from the bike sitting in the sun. Its been embarrassing to have a new bike not start in a restaurant parking lot.... No more issues now.

• Like 1