Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Swap 12V Socket to USB Charging Unit DIY

Noel McCutcheon

On 1/25/2020 at 12:50 AM, X Plane said:

Original sockets power is feed via can-bus. I wired spare 12v socket with 10 amp inline fuse direct to battery so can either charge or run compressor from it. 

CanBus ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 1/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, sebti said:

I have fixed a additionnal led bar, coupled with high beam, and additionnal 12v sproket is picked on his permanent 12v alim 😉

P_20200108_080515-scaled.jpg

Un article qui explique comment monter un phare additionnel LED couplé à la commande de phare sur la Tenere 700 et les quelques particularités à respecter.

Have a source and mounting details for this?  How do you like the additional light and any complaints from oncoming traffic?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 minutes ago, CAJW said:

Have a source and mounting details for this?  How do you like the additional light and any complaints from oncoming traffic?

Hi have changed these chinese lights for visionX lights.

Chinese lights are really not goodn not waterprooof. the difference is now incerdible...

• Like 1

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

2 hours ago, Janson said:

CanBus ???

To put it very simply (and possibly incorrectly, if so, someone will chime in), a Can-Bus is a microprocessor that handles elecrical relays and such.  A lot of automobiles have them, BMW motorcycles are notorious for them.  In this instance, the 12v outlet on the T7 is linked to a can-bus, so it limits the amperage/voltage and other functions.  Can-bus can also be related to ECU functions on a car or bike (not sure if it is on this particular model).

Again, anyone with a better electrical background than myself, please feel free to correct the above.

Edited by scridercoach
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, scridercoach said:

To put it very simply (and possibly incorrectly, if so, someone will chime in), a Can-Bus is a microprocessor that handles elecrical relays and such.  A lot of automobiles have them, BMW motorcycles are notorious for them.  In this instance, the 12v outlet on the T7 is linked to a can-bus, so it limits the amperage/voltage and other functions.  Can-bus can also be related to ECU functions on a car or bike (not sure if it is on this particular model).

Again, anyone with a better electrical background than myself, please feel free to correct the above.

pageheader_canbus.jpg.asset.151664187432

CAN bus technology (Controller Area Network) enables all control units to be networked, simplifying the comprehensive diagnostic process. You can find out more online!

Need to confirm is T7 Can Bus.

0F71BF51-EDA1-4606-A6A7-E3A8718D7A10.jpeg

So I was close in a very, very, very long reaching kind of way 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scridercoach said:

So I was close in a very, very, very long reaching kind of way 😆

Mmm ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

See last few minutes of footage: 

Thank you very much for this guide! I installed a USB quick charge outlet in place of the stock one.  I chose not to move the stock one over to the blank spot, for now.  We use a SAE plug wired to the battery for our tender, air compressor, charging stuff at camp with the USB adapter while the bike is off, etc. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, tj3089 said:

Thank you very much for this guide! I installed a USB quick charge outlet in place of the stock one.  I chose not to move the stock one over to the blank spot, for now.  We use a SAE plug wired to the battery for our tender, air compressor, charging stuff at camp with the USB adapter while the bike is off, etc. 

You are welcome. Good stuff. The USB ports unit is handy.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dibles said:

I thought rugged roads sold genuine yamaha usb's....saves cutting wires!?

YME-FUSBU-00-00-.jpg

OEM Yamaha USB Power Socket - double USB power kit for pre-wired units - Handlebar mount type USB DC outlet.

Good write up buddy so thanks for that. Will this one fit straight in using the plug in the picture?

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Matth said:

Good write up buddy so thanks for that. Will this one fit straight in using the plug in the picture?

Thanks!

It’s the 2 pin male plug you need, from below.  

Easy wired in and got via eBay:

s-l400.jpg

Fitted to most R6, Tén ér é, MT07 09 & Tracer models. This is the un-sealed square 2 pin 0.090" (2.3mm) connector - DO CHECK this is correct from the drawings/photos. Often found on the clutch lever side of the bike and fastened to the wiring loom with insulating tape - see photo's.

Suggest soldering is best, but crimping should work too for some years 😀 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dibles said:

I thought rugged roads sold genuine yamaha usb's....saves cutting wires!?

YME-FUSBU-00-00-.jpg

OEM Yamaha USB Power Socket - double USB power kit for pre-wired units - Handlebar mount type USB DC outlet.

You can buy the plugs on ebay if you want

Ok struggling, cant find the 2 amp connector as want wire my nav into the loom as want it to turn off when i kill the ignition. Just cannot find it at all, any pointers exactly where to look please?

i know someone posted a pic but tried the search engine and nothing.

help!

E8887D65-34AA-46B1-805E-5271BA616D25.jpeg

9CE46744-B39A-442C-B56C-B6128DF7BB5C.jpeg

11B4E06B-6B6C-4C6D-BAE3-B56F264EB8CC.jpeg

Edited by Matth

• Premium Member

Under the right-hand side (throttle) side-panel the spare there is a 3 pin - that can be for heated grips so it's much greater > 2 amp.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, Janson said:

CanBus ???

@Janson Sorry, my mistake, not can bus - but just light weight wires that may be not suitable for 10 amp / 120 watt long draw load of a compressor.

• Premium Member
On 12/9/2019 at 12:07 AM, Todd B said:

Great post. Thanks! Really like the info for a hot socket for battery tender to hook up through socket....NICE!

question, does the T7 have an actual voltage reading on dash?

Y/N?

found this USB socket with a voltage reading on EBAY.

F6A6DEC9-D4D6-485D-9874-0B86AC71C8A2.jpeg

@Todd B There is not a Voltage Display Reading in the stock Dash. Therefore, yes, the above USB would be grand. I've got one like that fitted to my MT-10.

1 hour ago, X Plane said:

On right-hand side (throttle) side the spare there is a 3 pin - that can be for heated grips so is greater > 2 amp.

Hiya

thanks for that, yep ive done the right side and my heated grip are connected to that but whts the left hand side spare connection for? It has 3 wires

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Matth said:

Hiya

thanks for that, yep ive done the right side and my heated grip are connected to that but whts the left hand side spare connection for? It has 3 wires

No idea. Guess another spare Power for whatever people what. Just like the right side if it is 12 volt it does have be for any thing particular thing. See if it provides switched by ignition switch 12 v. Again I don’t know but good at guessing - may be it could be used for running day or extra spot lights etc.

Yep yep checked the power and ign activated 2 become live and an earth, looks like its 10 amp cable ( matching it up with a reel of 10 amp)

ordered derd a AMP connector and will wire the nav to it

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

@X Plane thank you for the guidance. Installed the one with voltmeter and also run a wireless phone charger from the same circuit. Hopefully i will not forget and won't use wireless and USB simultaneously

that's  how it looks like

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I am terrible with electronics, so please be kind.

Couldnt you just put in a usb charger (cigarette type) and plug usb into that for charging? Or an electrical pump to inflate? Thanks.