Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Swap 12V Socket to USB Charging Unit DIY

Noel McCutcheon

On 6/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, X Plane said:

Under the right-hand side (throttle) side-panel the spare there is a 3 pin - that can be for heated grips so it's much greater > 2 amp.

Another option. Make a lead with yamaha 3 pin at one end and use this power supply for your left hand socket...then no cutting. Or what is the OEM cig plug connector? Any reason you cant make a lead for that?

I was planning similar for the right hand side, but with SAE in the cable, routed to near pillion pegs so if anything uses cig plug or sae then i am all set.

Nice, guide. thanks

Edited by JimmyTheHuman

Here's a couple pics of mine. Went with a dual port QC 3.0 with voltage indicator led. Installed on the right hand side using the 2 wire 2 amp circuit. I didn't care much for the non-waterproof connector so to quote Alice In Wonderland "off with its head" and replaced with a nice waterproof one. I also didn't care for the looks of the cigarette lighter so I simply removed it and use the blanking plug from the right to fill the empty hole. I always wire a SAE connector directly to and close as possible to the battery. I have a SAE cable with alligator clips for direct connection to the battery plus it's convenient to plug into the battery tender. So no need for a silly cigarette lighter plug.

IMG_20210104_172228869.jpg

IMG_20210104_172155232.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 10:45 PM, X Plane said:

How I fitted a dual USB Charger port unit in place of the original 12 volt power socket myself.

I hope that this is useful.

Hi X Plane:
Thanks a lot for your post, it was very helpful. Now installed USB output for my wireless charge pad I have mounted (glued) into a X-Grip. Pictures below. 

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Trollbiker said:

Hi X Plane:
Thanks a lot for your post, it was very helpful. Now installed USB output for my wireless charge pad I have mounted (glued) into a X-Grip. Pictures below. 

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

@Trollbiker You are welcome. Good stuff. I am glad that my post helped you.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 7:46 PM, Marklar said:

3 pin sealed sumitumo connectors are below. One on each side of bike. One meant for factory heated grips and one meant for factory fog lights:

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.thumb.jpeg.b0c162724cbc3812be210663517d4ed2.jpeg

BOTH of these plugs share the same fuse and it’s a 10 amp located under the seat. These are labeled accessory. 

I thought that the idea of the 3 pin connector was to have one switched and one always on wire ?

Have not taken my T7 apart yet, but expect that both AUX are occupied by fog light and heated grips and that i could wire my GPS to the switched DC in the right side. But i also have a scottoiler that needs always on so was wondering if it was easily accessable in the cockpit or i should wire it directly from the battery (with a fuse)

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 Ténéré
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS Ténéré [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré  [Sold]

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, X Plane said:

Thanks!

It’s the 2 pin male plug you need, from below.  

Easy wired in and got via eBay:

s-l400.jpg

Fitted to most R6, Tén ér é, MT07 09 & Tracer models. This is the un-sealed square 2 pin 0.090" (2.3mm) connector - DO CHECK this is correct from the drawings/photos. Often found on the clutch lever side of the bike and fastened to the wiring loom with insulating tape - see photo's.

Suggest soldering is best, but crimping should work too for some years 😀 

does anybody know what these connectors are actually called? I am wondering if I can just 3d print them or find them local since I already have everything else done and would rather not cut the wires but rather have plug and play. thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I moved the stock 12v outlet to the right side location, and installed a dual USB port in its place. While moving side panels, a little rubber piece fell out and landed in my skid plate. I can't for the life of me figure out where it was supposed to go! Also, a longer foam piece detached from somewhere, and I'm not sure where. Anyone else know where these pieces go?

20210806_090420.jpg

20210806_090412.jpg

20210806_090404.jpg

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Cougar Bait said:

I found their homes, lol

I have seen similar posts but not sure where these parts go. Do you have a pic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, Wushuplayer said:

Hi, forgive my noobness. Can things like heated gloves be connected safely to the original cig lighter? 

Afraid not as the oem cig lighter port is protected by a 2A fuse.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks,  so if I get something like this and wire directly to battery or the 3 pin connector on the right side I should be OK?  

Aofan Car Cigarette Lighter Socket with Waterproof Closing Cap + 60cm10A Fuse O Ring Cable Used in Cars, Motorcycles, etc. 12V 120W

Aofan Car Cigarette Lighter Socket with Waterproof Closing Cap + 60cm10A Fuse O Ring Cable Used in Cars, Motorcycles, etc. 12V 120W: Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

I also have a wireless quadlock charger connected directly to the battery. Does that matter?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Wushuplayer said:

Thanks,  so if I get something like this and wire directly to battery or the 3 pin connector on the right side I should be OK?  

Aofan Car Cigarette Lighter Socket with Waterproof Closing Cap + 60cm10A Fuse O Ring Cable Used in Cars, Motorcycles, etc. 12V 120W

Aofan Car Cigarette Lighter Socket with Waterproof Closing Cap + 60cm10A Fuse O Ring Cable Used in Cars, Motorcycles, etc. 12V 120W: Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

I also have a wireless quadlock charger connected directly to the battery. Does that matter?

Yes, as long as you don't exceed a 10 amp draw as that's the fuse rating for the 3 pin oem connector.  Personally,  I wired my heated gear directly to the battery with an inline fuse and SAE connector under the seat.  I also wired my heated grips to the RH side oem 3 pin connector and use the oem cig lighter for low amp devices such as a dash cam and cell ph charging.  There's plenty of ways to skin this cat, but that's how I did my wiring. 

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

That's very helpful. 

Do you only need to use an inline fuse when connecting directly to the battery? 

I am planning to connect:

Dual USB socket in place of OEM cig lighter on left side;

Garmin to 2 pin connector on right side;

12v cig socket with 10A inline fuse to 3 pin on right side for heated clothing, compressor and charging battery;

Wireless quadlock charger directly to battery via SAE.

Please let me know if that is safe and I'm open to other methods suitable for a newbie!

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Wushuplayer said:

That's very helpful. 

Do you only need to use an inline fuse when connecting directly to the battery?

Yes, unless you're connecting to any always hot wire.

I am planning to connect:

Dual USB socket in place of OEM cig lighter on left side; That's fine, just don't exceed a 2A draw.

Garmin to 2 pin connector on right side;

Same as left side 2 pin.

12v cig socket with 10A inline fuse to 3 pin on right side for heated clothing, compressor and charging battery;

Good to go up to 10A.

Wireless quadlock charger directly to battery via SAE.

Recommend it have a separate fuse,  your call on that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:27 PM, AZJW said:

Good to go up to 10A

Can you still charge the battery in this indirect way?

• Moderators
On 8/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, Wushuplayer said:

Can you still charge the battery in this indirect way?

Yes, if you're referring to the motorcycle battery, provided the key is on to energize the circuit.  If I were you, I'd wire a direct SAE connector ( fused) to the battery for charging the motorcycle battery. Any other accessory such as heated gear, air compressor or phone batteries can be connected to the switched 12v (10A) cig socket.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Nicely done, very neat and tidy, but you don't have a 12v socket for your 12v Tire Pump now? 
I saw another thread elsewhere where the USB was added on the opposite side in addition to the 12v socket.

Just a thought for others considering this.

im trying to connect heat demons on my t7, instructions say i need a 12v keyed wire. any suggestions? trying to still have comfy grips as opposed to oxfords or oem heat grips. i would tie into the oem heated grip plug but the wire i must connect is a lone wire, this would not complete the circuit, correct?

I see people are removing the front end to enable them to fit the plastic ring nut to the 12v USB socket. I didn't bother, I just Dremmeled the hole just enough so that the USB socket is a nice tight press-fit. It stays put and works fine. At least if the socket craps out, I can easily pry it out from the top (tried it already with a fine-ended flat screwdriver).

After all, these sockets are made in China, so who knows when they go pop and need replacing!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Reading the post above from @DuncMangot me thinking - has anyone ruined their USB outlet (placed in the 12V location) by using it in the rain?  I trust they are "waterproof" when the cover is on, but I would like to use mine while riding, and here in the Pacific Northwest USA it does rain sometimes.... 😁