Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Right Side of T7 Burns The Calf

Rickywt

Hello there,

I have large calfs and what I am struggling with my T7 is the engine burning my inner side of my calf on the right side.

Anyone got a fix for it?

Picture below

image.jpeg

Edited by Rickywt

14 minutes ago, JRS700 said:

Are you riding in shorts?

No, I was wearing fully covered riding jeans. 

3 minutes ago, Rickywt said:

No, I was wearing fully covered riding jeans. 

You could get some engine covers for the alternator side - GB Racing seem to be the toughest, but I don't really know if they isolate well against heat. Probably yes.

I've ridden mine in 100 degree weather and don't feel any heat. I don't know where you are getting heat because the exhaust is behind your leg and the engine cover is in front and there is a shield on the back side.  Your leg is between any heat source. Are you sure you didn't get too close to the camp fire?

4 minutes ago, JRS700 said:

I've ridden mine in 100 degree weather and don't feel any heat. I don't know where you are getting heat because the exhaust is behind your leg and the engine cover is in front and there is a shield on the back side.  Your leg is between any heat source. Are you sure you didn't get too close to the camp fire?

I am 100% certain that it was from the clutch side. My calf is huge so the inner size rubs on the open side right below the guard. 

13 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

You could get some engine covers for the alternator side - GB Racing seem to be the toughest, but I don't really know if they isolate well against heat. Probably yes.

Thanks. Yeas the GB and R&G is very pricey. I saw the tripleClamp set which is better in price compared to the others. I might for the TripleClamp ones. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rickywt said:

Thanks. Yeas the GB and R&G is very pricey. I saw the tripleClamp set which is better in price compared to the others. I might for the TripleClamp ones. 

Acerbis are also quite cheap, but also thinner. But they might be ok for your needs.

• Like 1

I would try the engine covers suggested and a set of longer foot pegs like Altrider or something to give you the room to get your legs out further away from the bike.   I don't have your issue but when I changed my pegs I now have much more room to stand where is more comfortable on the bike (or sitting too)

• Like 2

If engine covers keep the heet in it might hurt the engine more than what is should protect it from.
I only have a waterpump cover and the rest has to be protected by the basplate and crashbars.

• Like 2

Engine case protectors and exhaust wrap.  That’s really the only 2 things you can do.  

A little trick that a friend taught me about exhaust wrap.  Soak it in water prior to installation.  Wrap it and tie with stainless steel ties.  The water makes for a really nice wrap.  After your job is complete, warm up the exhaust, it will dry out pretty quick. 

dei-010004_xl.jpg

Free Shipping - DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap with LR Technology with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Exhaust Wrap at Summit Racing.

Stainless Steel Zip Ties, 100pcs 11.8 Inches Stainless Steel Exhaust Wrap Ties, Black Heavy Duty Self-Locking Strap Ties, Multi-Purpose Locking Cable Metal Zip Ties https://a.co/d/7Z1GKOq

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, DT675 said:

I would try the engine covers suggested and a set of longer foot pegs like Altrider or something to give you the room to get your legs out further away from the bike.   I don't have your issue but when I changed my pegs I now have much more room to stand where is more comfortable on the bike (or sitting too)

Could you link me to one foot peg that can take my leg further from the heat? Would help a lot

4 minutes ago, Rickywt said:

Could you link me to one foot peg that can take my leg further from the heat? Would help a lot

There are a lot, i just ordered a set form Camel ADV together with my "the fix" brake pedal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rickywt said:

These are the ones I have. I like them quite a bit, very comfortable. 

If your able to contact them (I had trouble), search for "bosley" pegs, several people using them and they look big. The Camel ones are popular, I don't know how big they are though myself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickywt said:

Fits the Following Models: 1999-2021 Yamaha YZ851999-2022 Yamaha YZ1251999-2022 Yamaha YZ2502016-2022 Yamaha YZ250X2001-2014...

I have these pegs and they are outstanding.   When you order direct from IMS, tell them you would like a set of heavy duty springs too.  They will throw them in at no charge.   

• Like 1

Remember Burt Munro (Anthony Hopkins) burning his leg in the movie "The World's Fastest Indian"?

Sorry, my mind is always full of useless trivia...

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

From the pic that doesn't look like a burn, it looks like a bruise. If a bruise either change your riding style or wear riding boots. 

I removed the plastic cover that was placed over the clutch actuator to allow for more calf room + I have SW Motech ION foot pegs mounted which are bigger/longer than the stock Yamaha pegs.

• Like 1

I posted somewhere else here that the AltRider pegs allowed me to move my feet away from the heat when it bothered me on super hot riding days. And yes, right side, clutch cover area seems to be the hot spot, but I also thought it could be coming up from the AXP skid plate and catalytic converter.

• Like 1

I have this issue, runner/cyclist calves, just reminds me to wear taller boots.

• Like 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

2 hours ago, Husafreak said:

I posted somewhere else here that the AltRider pegs allowed me to move my feet away from the heat when it bothered me on super hot riding days. And yes, right side, clutch cover area seems to be the hot spot, but I also thought it could be coming up from the AXP skid plate and catalytic converter.

Could you link me which alt rider pegs that is? as in the site, they have around 3 listed so not sure which one would keep me away from the clutch heat.

4 hours ago, mpatch said:

From the pic that doesn't look like a burn, it looks like a bruise. If a bruise either change your riding style or wear riding boots. 

It is def from the clutch side as I could feel the sting on my calf when i was riding, came home and checked and it was bruised.

2 hours ago, RIDER GUIDER said:

I have this issue, runner/cyclist calves, just reminds me to wear taller boots.

i feel tall boots will def solve it. But wearing each time tall boots to go for errands is a hassle