Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Does ur butt hurt on the stock seat?

NeilW

I picked up my T7 1100 miles from home and it was equipped with a Yamaha Rally Seat and split seat ( carried in my side bags). My rear end started hurting at 10 minutes and I still had 3 days to go.  Anyone else have this issue? The stock rally seat is a butt killer. Well I found an inexpensive fix. You might not have to go with an aftermarket seat if a pair of Moto-Skiveez works for you the way it did for me. 

Here is my review - I tested them on the Rally seat, the same one that literally bruised my butt for 1100 miles. Moto-Skiveez work!

Here is my review

moto-skiveez-cruiser-undershort-motorcyc

Moto-Skiveez Cruiser Skiveez and Motorcycle Performance Compression Socks Review: The antidote to a hard seat.

• Like 1

Was that the original +40mm rally seat or the later, rally edition seat @NeilW? I found the original really plush. The later one is as thin as the stock. 

Absolutely love the stock seat. Personally most comfortable seat I've ever been on. That said I've only had enduros and dual sports my entire life. So this feels like a couch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Absolutely love the stock seat. Personally most comfortable seat I've ever been on. That said I've only had enduros and dual sports my entire life. So this feels like a couch. 

Wow. That’s great for you. For me it hurts like heck. The only seat I have been able to sit on pain free for 12 hours is the seat concepts sport touring. It is 13” wide. 

38 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Was that the original +40mm rally seat or the later, rally edition seat @NeilW? I found the original really plush. The later one is as thin as the stock. 

It is the original Rally seat. Being sold in 2021 by Yamaha. Here are some photos of my brick

5D71DE9A-4085-440D-83F1-B56B2D95DE31.jpeg

C9618916-9954-4E54-BCEA-4C19A7F4D5DE.jpeg

CCDB1BF1-15BF-41C6-997C-0F49A031FDA1.jpeg

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

Yamaha is known for making seats out of wood or brick! Even my WR250R had a wooden plank for a seat, that was one painful seat to use. Ended up slicing some foam off and installing softer foam instead. Did do a decent job of helping with the pain.

First 2 rides on my T7 and my butt hurt, had nostalgia from the WR250R and then started thinking of what I could do that wouldn't be super expensive and something easy enough to DIY (something about building it up by oneself, makes me proud). I have been to a couple of shops looking for the the right density of foam and not too much option in this tiny island nation of ours.

However I have decided to slice off as much as I can on the front, install a layer of med density foam and then top it off with soft density foam. Might add a little widening on the sides of the seat towards the back, I really do like the narrow front for the feet down position. 

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

11 minutes ago, motonap said:

Yamaha is known for making seats out of wood or brick! Even my WR250R had a wooden plank for a seat, that was one painful seat to use. Ended up slicing some foam off and installing softer foam instead. Did do a decent job of helping with the pain.

First 2 rides on my T7 and my butt hurt, had nostalgia from the WR250R and then started thinking of what I could do that wouldn't be super expensive and something easy enough to DIY (something about building it up by oneself, makes me proud). I have been to a couple of shops looking for the the right density of foam and not too much option in this tiny island nation of ours.

However I have decided to slice off as much as I can on the front, install a layer of med density foam and then top it off with soft density foam. Might add a little widening on the sides of the seat towards the back, I really do like the narrow front for the feet down position. 

I posted this review for guys like you. Check out moto-skiveez. They actually took the pain away. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:56 AM, Dougie said:

@DougieIt is the 2021 year model Rally Seat. 

On 1/23/2023 at 10:13 PM, NeilW said:

@DougieIt is the 2021 year model Rally Seat. 

Ah, yes. It’s a fair bit thinner. Almost stock. I think they added an inch of pre-loved teddy bears in the +40mm one. 😁

well almost. 
strike that. Just seen your updated picture of the larger rally seat. 😁👍

Edited by Dougie
Updated info

I put a sargent seat on mine and its a big improvement. I had the rally seat too. if you are riding 500 miles for multiple days, it doesnt matter what seat you have, your butts going to hurt. It just hurts less with a better seat.

• Like 1

I cut out a space on the original seat foam and put a gel insert in place, problem fixed.

54 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

I cut out a space on the original seat foam and put a gel insert in place, problem fixed.

Good move.  Did you take photos? Others might want to follow your lead.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

That would be a really great guide to post for people wanting to do something similar.  

I've got a Seat Concepts Tall Rally, and while it's significantly more comfortable than the bone stock non-rally seat (the rally seats where long sold out when I got my T7) it's still pretty uncomfortable over hours.  I'm curious how you'd get a gel insert to fit the seat?

I like the stock seat. My longest day ride has been 600 mile +. Yea I was feelin it but I've had custom seats that was not as good as this  one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

I like the stock seat. My longest day ride has been 600 mile +. Yea I was feelin it but I've had custom seats that was not as good as this  one.

Funny coincidence you write 600+ miles. That is exactly how many miles I stood in one day from Ukiah CA to home in Portland OR because my butt hurt so bad I had to stand. 

• Like 1

I have used on of these on my F8GS with the stock seat.

Not pretty but damn comfortable on a long tar ride.

I need to fix some tabs to my T7 rally seat for those long rides.

They deflate easily and won't take up much room in my pack.

https://airhawk.com.au/product-category/motorcycle-cushions/

For the other side of the globe

https://airhawk.net/product-category/seat-cushions/

Edited by Rider 101
  • Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

5 hours ago, NeilW said:

Good move.  Did you take photos? Others might want to follow your lead.

Ah, no I didn't, but there is a post on here if you search which shows the how to. If I'm not mistaken it was a post by Goldentaco about two years ago.

Edited by Stevoh

5 hours ago, NeilW said:

Funny coincidence you write 600+ miles. That is exactly how many miles I stood in one day from Ukiah CA to home in Portland OR because my butt hurt so bad I had to stand. 

I bet your legs were sore 🤣

8 hours ago, Stevoh said:

I once had a gel seat, never again.
Yes, it gives comfort but a tip: When parking the bike try to keep it out of the sun.
The gel absorbs heat helped by the black cover and it takes a long time to get rid of it, even when standing.

• Like 1

There’s the sheepie. Which will help. But will roast your nuts in summer. Don’t believe all the crap about sheepskin keeping you cool as well. 
the other dead cert which we overlook is strengthening our legs/buts with squats etc. Helps massively. Doubled my time in the saddle once I’d motivated myself again. 

A89D1AE7-59E7-4435-8262-040DBC96D4C5.jpeg.49738b6c0a21125306e9f54a52a48e3f.jpeg

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I once had a gel seat, never again.
Yes, it gives comfort but a tip: When parking the bike try to keep it out of the sun.
The gel absorbs heat helped by the black cover and it takes a long time to get rid of it, even when standing.

Yes true, also gets pretty damn cold in winter!

I'm in the habit of putting a cover like my jacket etc over the seat. When I did this mod there were no real options in Australia to replace the seat, I tried the OEM rally seat and it was even more uncomfortable, so gel it was, I'm still very happy with it nearly 3 years on.

15 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I put a sargent seat on mine and its a big improvement. I had the rally seat too. if you are riding 500 miles for multiple days, it doesnt matter what seat you have, your butts going to hurt. It just hurts less with a better seat.

I just bought a '17 Yamaha FJ-09 and it has the Sargent seat on it.  Im super excited to try it out.  1st impression is that it is harder then my T7's seat.  But it is also much wider and seems very specifically contoured.  

Is it the contour that makes it work for you over OEM?

6 hours ago, Dougie said:

There’s the sheepie. Which will help. But will roast your nuts in summer. Don’t believe all the crap about sheepskin keeping you cool as well. 
the other dead cert which we overlook is strengthening our legs/buts with squats etc. Helps massively. Doubled my time in the saddle once I’d motivated myself again. 

A89D1AE7-59E7-4435-8262-040DBC96D4C5.jpeg.49738b6c0a21125306e9f54a52a48e3f.jpeg

When you say Doubled my time in the saddle. Do you mean standing or sitting ? I play ice hockey so if you are talking about standing, I totally agree. Longest I have stood is literally all day bringing the bike home from Los Angeles to Portland Oregon. I couldn’t touch the Rally seat with my butt any more . Hurt to much. 

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

I just bought a '17 Yamaha FJ-09 and it has the Sargent seat on it.  Im super excited to try it out.  1st impression is that it is harder then my T7's seat.  But it is also much wider and seems very specifically contoured.  

Is it the contour that makes it work for you over OEM?

It's more firm than the stock seat but surprisingly comfortable and the shape in the crack gives more room for your butt cheeks but is narrow at the front so it still works well off-road 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dougie said:

we overlook is strengthening our legs/buts with squats etc.

So true! I wear suspenders (braces) to keep my pants from sliding off my skinny butt these days. Sucks to get old.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~