Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Does ur butt hurt on the stock seat?

NeilW

Yamaha doesn't get seats made, they just carve wood and chuck on covers over them. The stock seat is painful after about an hour or so, no doubt!

Most economical option I found was to strap the Coleman Maddog ATV seat cover onto the seat and now I can spend a min of 4 hours on the saddle before feeling a little soreness of sorts!

• Haha 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

I can confirm  the 3D mesh seat cover helps a lot.

I al also going to pick up some mountain bike shorts for the longer days in the saddle 

i have been off bikes for 3 years so my rear end was not ready for a bike so fast.

3d mesh allowed me do 5-600km rides

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, AirborneSilva said:

Thanks Hibobb, you're right it will never be a plush ride and never expected it to be.  I do have three old Yamaha Enduro's that are not exactly plush seats but are a far cry better than the stock T7 seat.  I had thought about getting some kind of biking shorts so thank you for the suggestion of the Moto-Skiveez, I'll certainly give them a shot.

@AirborneSilvadid you get the Moto Skiveez ?

Good morning Neil, no but I did try two different brands with negative results so I think I've wasted enough money on them.  The last place I bought them from had what I thought a good return policy so I bought three thinking if I didn't like them then I could return them for a full refund, well it turns out that first you can't wear them if you want a refund and then they had to be in their original package with labels and pictures of something or other so I told them to shove them up their butt, so I just donated them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AirborneSilva said:

Good morning Neil, no but I did try two different brands with negative results so I think I've wasted enough money on them.  The last place I bought them from had what I thought a good return policy so I bought three thinking if I didn't like them then I could return them for a full refund, well it turns out that first you can't wear them if you want a refund and then they had to be in their original package with labels and pictures of something or other so I told them to shove them up their butt, so I just donated them. 

@AirborneSilva I am sorry in general that you had bad buying experiences.  Was one of the two you tried, the original " Motoskiveez" ?  They are underwear so non manufacturer will take back worn underwear...  I have many seat concepts and found the Sport Tourer standard height DIY kit to be the best for all day riding. I have the OEM rally and it literally pains me after less than 10 minutes. I put the Rally on my T7 to test the Motoskiveez ( cruiser style)  and rode for 3 hours straight, never standing or stopping. My butt didn't hurt at all. I was shocked!  The Moto Skiveez do feel like I am wearing a diaper when walking around but that just takes getting accustomed to.

2 hours ago, NeilW said:

The Moto Skiveez do feel like I am wearing a diaper when walking around but that just takes getting accustomed to

They become a wet diaper on hot days... been there / done that!

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

15 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

They become a wet diaper on hot days... been there / done that!

Moto Skiveez become a wet diaper? Most of my test rides were 90+ degrees and I didn't have any sweat or heat issues with the Moto Skiveez

Hi Neal, thanks for the empathy 😀 I do understand they can't take back underwear that's been worn but I did buy them on a buy two get one free deal so when I asked if since one was free could I just send back the two that I didn't wear nor did I open the packages they said no, that the one I wore would be seen as on of the two I had bought so I would only get back 50% of what I paid for them.  This took several e-mails to get them to clarify this, it was like I was talking to different people each time.  The online shop is winx wheels, I wouldn't buy anything from them again since there 100% money back guarantee is such BS!  I'm also hesitant to shell out anymore money on something that might not work for me, especially as expensive as those short you mentioned are.  I just don't have that kind of money, especially in this failing economy that is making retirement tough to try and enjoy life! 

• Like 2

Go to "under clothing" includes 9 inch boxer briefs and bicycle shorts. For the seat (on street bikes) AirHawk for almost 2 decades. As of recent I have added a BeadRider over my AirHawk for super mile/multiple day comfort. 

On my dirt bike it's a Seat Concepts seat. I switch between my Klim Tactical and EVS Tug Impact shorts. 

IMHO, there is nothing you can do better than get a lot of saddle time to break your butt in. Seats are a subjective subject. Kind of like handlebar, controls, suspension setup. 

FWIW, my 2 buddies I ride with that have the Tenere 700 both have just the Seat Concepts seats and swear by them. I rode one of the bikes with the firm model and it was very comfortable. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Most of my test rides were 90+ degrees and I didn't have any sweat or heat issues with the Moto Skiveez

I did...

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

1 minute ago, Hibobb said:

I did...

A little trick is to spray Degree 72hr on body and inside layers to prevent sweat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olliechristophe said:

A little trick is to spray Degree 72hr on body

Looking up "Degree 72hr" I found:

This antiperspirant for men features a rich, woody amber scent to keep you feeling energized...

Ollie, What does "Woody Amber" smell like? 😄

• Haha 3

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

9 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Ollie, What does "Woody Amber" smell like? 😄

Amber would be disappointed if she smelled my Woody after a long day ride!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My seats feel pretty good, but then I ride bicycles.  Two things happen when you bicycle.

1. Any motorcycle seat feels luxurious compared to a bicycle seat.

2. Your hind quarters will get stronger and much more resistant to fatigue. This is the best, albeit not easiest, solution to any motorcycle seat discomfort.

Just for kicks, I swapped my Seat Concepts Tall Comfort back to the stock seat. I didn't dislike the stock seat to begin with but had good luck with Seat Concepts on 3 other bikes and bought the SC at a promotional price. In the final analysis, I prefer the SC Tall Comfort, but both are acceptable. I usually don't ride more than 4-5 hours at a stretch (including liquid-in / liquid-out breaks). 

• Like 2

Two weeks ago I did 11 hours of saddle time out of a 12 hour day ride. Seat comfort sport touring with an open cell silicone seat pad. Never even thought about my rear with that combination. 

• Like 1

The OEM Rally Seat fixed it for me. The comfort is much better in my opinon and so is the riding position. Maybe in the summer I will put a mesh on it, but I really like how it looks without it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OK185 said:

The OEM Rally Seat fixed it for me. The comfort is much better in my opinon and so is the riding position. Maybe in the summer I will put a mesh on it, but I really like how it looks without it.

I have the OEM Rally Seat and the OEM 2 piece. They both HURT equally. That is why when I picked up the bike in Los Angeles to ride it home to Portland, I stood most of the way. 100% standing for the last 660 miles and 14 hours the 3rd day.

Make it simple, add a sheepskin to your seat when you do a long haul. 10 hour days, as comfy as can be expected. Tested for the last 45 years of riding.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, anth said:

Make it simple, add a sheepskin to your seat when you do a long haul. 10 hour days, as comfy as can be expected. Tested for the last 45 years of riding.

On my Yamaha Venture that I eventually did two SaddleSore 1000's on, I tried sheep skin and beads. Sheepskin did nothing at all and the beads gave me 75 points of pain instead of just the two from my butt bones.  I eventually found a guy that carved out my stock seat and added some gel.  Proceeded to do a 17 hour day and a 21 hour day on the Venture and never had any butt isses. I don't see what sheepskin does. as soon as you plant your butt on it, it is as flat and as hard as what ever is below it. Please enlighten me and us on the correct thickness and use of sheepskin. I must be missing something as so many recommend it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, anth said:

It seems adding something to your existing seat is way more economical than the expensive crapshoot of a new seat that you don't get to try before buying.

If you're in the US, I recommend Glacier Wear for pelts. They're not moto specific, but are cheap and legit.

The mesh helps also, but I find the crazy prices a bit offensive for what it is. I waited until I was in Mexico and got one for $5.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

2 hours ago, NeilW said:

On my Yamaha Venture that I eventually did two SaddleSore 1000's on, I tried sheep skin and beads. Sheepskin did nothing at all and the beads gave me 75 points of pain instead of just the two from my butt bones.  I eventually found a guy that carved out my stock seat and added some gel.  Proceeded to do a 17 hour day and a 21 hour day on the Venture and never had any butt isses. I don't see what sheepskin does. as soon as you plant your butt on it, it is as flat and as hard as what ever is below it. Please enlighten me and us on the correct thickness and use of sheepskin. I must be missing something as so many recommend it.

I'm with you on some of the sheepskins...I've seen some that are sheered extremely short and found myself wondering what's the point? I guess all butts are different.

I usually don't sit long enough for it to matter, but I got the mesh because it's cooling....alarming cooling at first. Wasn't used to getting drafts down there. I think sheepskin is about the same cushion, it's just more insulating.

For a minute I thought about getting one of those Airhawk things just to throw on for long days, but then I decided that I'm too cheap for that.

advgoats.com

7 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I'm with you on some of the sheepskins...I've seen some that are sheered extremely short and found myself wondering what's the point? I guess all butts are different.

I usually don't sit long enough for it to matter, but I got the mesh because it's cooling....alarming cooling at first. Wasn't used to getting drafts down there. I think sheepskin is about the same cushion, it's just more insulating.

For a minute I thought about getting one of those Airhawk things just to throw on for long days, but then I decided that I'm too cheap for that.

This kind of open cell pad is pretty amazing - like sitting on a cotton ball - image.png.c8f84d37323384b14c829b767167fd1d.png

• Like 1

Hi all.

I like that open cell pad idea. Where do you find it?

I'm coming off a WR250R "2x4" seat with the Coleman Maddog ATV pad and padded bicycle shorts. My stock 2 piece T7 seat seems pretty comfy for  2-3 hours riding. Then need a break.

I too bot the Moto skiiveez padded shorts for the WRR but the legs were too short and waistband too low. Wound up with Walmart bicycle shorts with padding, a nonslip band at bottom of the leg and taller waistband. They work for me! 

Dave

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

This kind of open cell pad is pretty amazing - like sitting on a cotton ball - image.png.c8f84d37323384b14c829b767167fd1d.png

As Neil said, this type of pad is really really good at fixing an uncomfortable seat.  Simply  cut out the stock foam and replace it with the correct size piece of this type of gel seat cushion and put the stock cover back on.  It will allow you a more comfortable ride.  

Buy Gel Seat Cushion, Egg Seat Cushion Wheelchair Cushion with Non-Slip Cover, Breathable Chair Pads Honeycomb Design Absorbs Pressure Points for Car Office Chair Wheelchair (Violet): Back & Seat Cushions -...

61-IqvMvYqL._AC_SX679_.jpg

2 hours ago, Dualsport Dave said:

Hi all.

I like that open cell pad idea. Where do you find it?

I'm coming off a WR250R "2x4" seat with the Coleman Maddog ATV pad and padded bicycle shorts. My stock 2 piece T7 seat seems pretty comfy for  2-3 hours riding. Then need a break.

I too bot the Moto skiiveez padded shorts for the WRR but the legs were too short and waistband too low. Wound up with Walmart bicycle shorts with padding, a nonslip band at bottom of the leg and taller waistband. They work for me! 

Dave

Google “ open cell motorcycle seat pad”. They all show up from many suppliers.