Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

dumbest decision ever

But a memory you will have forever!!!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

This might be the dumbest decision ever...  Andy (of Heavy Enduro fame) and I registered for the 2024 Red Bull Romanics Hard Enduro Race on our Teneres; we'll be racing Iron class.

284 days to prep and I'll need every single one 🤣

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

this takes a man on a horse...not a **** on a camel - you guys are steel.

• Like 1

Haha, a little bit crazy 😬 but a memory for the lifetime i guess

Then we will see us, I will ride bronze....   but with my Te300 😜

Edited by Schegge
  • Like 1

Oh wow you guys do have more screws loose than I thought 😜

Good luck and thanks for continuing to test parts for us!!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
14 hours ago, Hibobb said:

But a memory you will have forever!!!

No matter how well or poorly it goes, Andy and I will always be able to laugh about that time we entered Romaniacs on ADV bikes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor
21 hours ago, Redneckj said:

Just follow Pol Tarres at his pace and you should be fine.  🤣

Good plan, just draft off Pol, should be totally doable since we're riding the same bikes 😂 

The difference in difficulty level between Pol's class (Bronze) and our's (Iron) is MASSIVE. This is a crazy decision but it's not as nutty as some people might think. In 2017 Quinn Cody raced a KTM 1090 and Gerhard Forester rode a BMW R-Nine-T (basically converted to an HP-2) in the Iron class; both finished.

After talking with friends that have already done the race, I've been told  there is nothing nearly as tough as some of the other trails we've already done (5 Miles of Hell, Pritchet Canyon etc). The challenge is the 4 back to back 80-120km/days and dealing with all the other riders on the course. I'll say it now, if it's a wet year, we'll be screwed. Big bikes can be super capable when it's dry; when it's wet, they are simply anchors.

Touratech did a video series about it their race. I've never found an English version but you can turn subtitles on if you need:

Touratech R9X | Red Bull Romaniacs 2017

Quinn Cody and Gerhard Forest 2017
image.jpeg.195e418a5b44c509bcde44536eca8f84.jpeg

• Like 3

Excellent! Has that group rate shrink  affirmed this madness? Give him a substantial  tip on your next visit.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cory, 

First off, my hats off to ya. Going to be interesting,  but after seeing you attack 5 MOH, I'm thinking you'll be fine. If you can, please detail your mods to run such a race, i.e, titanium shock links,  helium filled handlebar, etc... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

will there be live feed from the organiser or is it all after the fact ? [not that id mind]

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Redneckj said:

@Camel ADV for that type of event do you run bib moose instead of tubes?   What’s your tire of choice for an event like this? 

Bibs ideally. However, mousses generally don't work well with the weight of ADV bikes. Most mousses are the equivalent of about 15-16psi so it's pretty easy to destroy rims at that pressure. My partner in crime (Andy) runs them but he is 140lbs soaking wet and his rims are still shaped like stop signs. The bib/HD tube thing is something I'll have to figure out. I really don't want to worry about flats or carry tubes, pump, axles wrenches, tire spoons... there's probably 5-6lbs there.

Tires: My current plan is Shinko 216MXs front and rear. They are amazing for heavy enduro type riding. The carcass is a bit thin so they'd have to be run with mousses at this event.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan M said:

Cory, here’s a few pointers from Pol. Looks easy enough 🙈😁

I happened to watch this video yesterday. Gotta say it was painful just to watch. Not even Pol can make that look easy. Might have to agree with @Camel ADV 's original assessment.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 10/19/2023 at 4:01 PM, Alan M said:

Cory, here’s a few pointers from Pol. Looks easy enough 🙈😁

I watched that the other day; he's working hard! That course is well above my pay grade!