Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2024 RedBull Romaniacs on T7s

Camel ADV

On 10/27/2023 at 8:43 PM, Camel ADV said:

Having raced the Desert 100 8 times (1200 racers on the course at once), I agree the biggest challenge is other riders clogging up the good lines. You either have to help them with their bikes or get creative and conjure up new lines (not always possible).

To finish the event would be epic; to even finish a day will be fantastic. I'm looking at it more like the journey is the reward. I'm planning and training with a good friend to have this crazy adventure on the other side of the world. I simply won't go unless I'm under 220lbs, which means I have to drop 50lbs before July. If that's the only thing I succeed at, the whole project will still be a win.

Cory, try veganism, my wife is one of those and she weights 43KG - when she goes to the loo it's like shoes falling out of the loft - instant weight loss 😅

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Vendor
22 hours ago, 712moto said:

A bit off-topic, but if you are thinking about fitting the World Raid tanks on a T7 rally edition - then no. At least not without modifications to the fram and the side frame-rails. Send me a DM if you want to discuss it more 🙂

And of course - good luck to the CamelADV crew! Looking forward to following along on this journey. To piggyback of off Charles question; Did you consider leaving the bikes and do other events in Europe? Perhaps some that are less restrictive about their media coverage

No plans to leave the bike there; it would require permanent importation instead of temporary. There is no way my bike would pass European inspection!

• Haha 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• Moderators

I split off the off topic discussion regarding World Raid fuel tanks into a new thread under Parts & Upgrades to keep this on topic focused on the Rally.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Vendor

There's been a bit of hiccup in the Romaniacs plan...

When I started pushing it at the gym for race prep, I realized there was simply no way that I could pull it off.

After 23yrs of near constant back pain stemming from a broken vertebrae in 2001, I just got back from Germany after having two artificial discs implanted in my lumbar spine. The surgery went well but the last three weeks have been some of the most miserable days I’ve ever experienced.

With the new titanium implants, my spine’s original length has been restored; I’m 3/4” taller than I was pre-surgery. That means my spinal nerve bundle is 3/4” too short for my new (original) height. That tension on the nerves means I have constant burning sensation in my legs.

Currently, I’ve lost some mobility in my right foot (aka Drop Foot). Drop Foot means I can’t lift my foot upward; I can wiggle toes and push down with my foot but not pull my toes up. That requires me to wear an ankle brace to keep my foot up. Luckily, it's my brake foot so it really only needs to operate downward. If it was my left foot, I'd need it for upshifting so that's the silver lining. 

Over the next several weeks/months, the nerves will start to lengthen and will match the new spine length. As they grow, the nerve pain should start to lessen and I *should* regain mobility of my right foot.

Unfortunately, at this time, my 2024 riding season isn’t looking great. It is very unlikely that I will be able to race at Romaniacs in July.

This is the process:

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Well that's the s**ts!

Obviously the current route is the best for your long term health.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin Cory will be that man. Better than he was before. Better... stronger... faster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

8 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

When I started pushing it at the gym for race prep, I realized there was simply no way that I could pull it off.

After 23yrs of near constant back pain stemming from a broken vertebrae in 2001, I just got back from Germany after having two artificial discs implanted in my lumbar spine. The surgery went well but the last three weeks have been some of the most miserable days I’ve ever experienced.

With the new titanium implants, my spine’s original length has been restored; I’m 3/4” taller than I was pre-surgery. That means my spinal nerve bundle is 3/4” too short for my new (original) height. That tension on the nerves means I have constant burning sensation in my legs.

Currently, I’ve lost some mobility in my right foot (aka Drop Foot). Drop Foot means I can’t lift my foot upward; I can wiggle toes and push down with my foot but not pull my toes up. That requires me to wear an ankle brace to keep my foot up. Luckily, it's my brake foot so it really only needs to operate downward. If it was my left foot, I'd need it for upshifting so that's the silver lining. 

Over the next several weeks/months, the nerves will start to lengthen and will match the new spine length. As they grow, the nerve pain should start to lessen and I *should* regain mobility of my right foot.

Unfortunately, at this time, my 2024 riding season isn’t looking great. It is very unlikely that I will be able to race at Romaniacs in July.

This is the process:

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Wow, Cory, hoping and praying for a good outcome on the nerves lengthening and getting rid of that pain.  Stay strong brother.  You look like you are in good spirits despite the pain. 🙂

• Like 3

• Moderators

Dude,  so sorry to read this, but it looks like you've got a positive attitude and have good support around you. Missing this year's race or even the entire riding season sucks, but not as bad as not healing properly.  Good juju headed north for you to gain back your mobility for a stronger future you.  

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

34 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

This is the process:

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

wishing you a solid recovery,  thank you for sharing.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor

Thanks guys. I was really hoping I could put it off another year but I became pretty obvious that I was lying to myself thinking that I could train to where I needed to be... even if i did that, there was no way I'd be able to push myself through 4 full days of racing. It's a sh&t deal because deposits were paid, plans were made. At the moment, Andy from Heavy Enduro is still planning on racing even if I don't make it. He's on a T7, he's a freaking savage and highly entertaining to watch.

• Like 2

Get well, Cory.

Keep us posted on your recovery.

I hope the burning pain goes away.

Almost as bad as a toothache.

Any time away from the bike sucks.

Just remember there are only 2 letters separating maniacs from Romaniacs!

• Haha 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Get well soon and all the best from Germany Cory!

And who knows, the gained free time might be used for other great things...

• Like 1

Get well!

Regarding your toes, i know somebody who makes great camel toes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

I had nearly the same damage in my left arm when I had my first bike accident at the age of 17. Broke my arm and the nerves were damaged. I couldn't get my hand up. It took several months and kind of electric treatment before I could use my hand again. After nearly 50 years it still feels funny when I have to lift heavy obstacles by bending the left hand upwards.

I wish you the best for your recovery!

PS Hey Cory, it would have been nice to know you are in Germany.

• Like 1

I join those above and wish you all the best and a quick and above all complete healing, so you can continue with all the maniac stuff we others appreciate so much when watching your videos 👍

Romaniacs will still be there when you're back on the bike.

But seriously Cory... Did you really need to grow any taller 😉

• Like 1

@Camel ADV

Holy Crap!!! I just watched the video clip you had added to your post. Gruesome!!!! Was your German Doctors name Joe Mengele?

They sure have funny names for chisels, pry-bars, and needle nose pliers!

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Best of Luck Cory! I watched the video...😲 I've been involved in various medical devices and procedures over my product development career, but wow, this is massive, and you have 2! Heal up man. You'll be better than new soon.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Supporting Vendor

@Hibobb @Canzvt

10 hours ago, Hibobb said:

@Camel ADV

Holy Crap!!! I just watched the video clip you had added to your post. Gruesome!!!! Was your German Doctors name Joe Mengele?

They sure have funny names for chisels, pry-bars, and needle nose pliers!

7 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Best of Luck Cory! I watched the video...😲 I've been involved in various medical devices and procedures over my product development career, but wow, this is massive, and you have 2! Heal up man. You'll be better than new soon.

If you have the stomach for it, here is the real world version:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Drop foot is something you can’t explain.

I dealt with it when I hurt my back a few years ago. I still have partial numbness and my lower leg isn’t 100%, not so much strength wise but sensation wise. 
“Move your toes/foot” and you tell them to move and they don’t sucks or they will move and you have almost no strength. 
“pull your toes or foot up towards your shin” and you can’t 

• Sad 1

Praying for you and wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for all you do for the T7 and the videos you make inspire me to be a better rider. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

@Hibobb @Canzvt

If you have the stomach for it, here is the real world version:

SUPER COOL!!! Looks WAY easier on the bench with a plastic model... Observed a heart surgery years ago as we were developing an aeortic clamp for bypass surgery. The rib spreaders were brutal! This looks way more civilized, yet dangerously close to the spinal cord. Amazing that they do this surgery multiple times a week. Looks like you were in the right place.

Good luck on your recovery Cory.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, mpatch said:

Drop foot is something you can’t explain.

I dealt with it when I hurt my back a few years ago. I still have partial numbness and my lower leg isn’t 100%, not so much strength wise but sensation wise. 
“Move your toes/foot” and you tell them to move and they don’t sucks or they will move and you have almost no strength. 
“pull your toes or foot up towards your shin” and you can’t 

It's beyond concerning. "Hey foot, move upward" and you get no response. Hopefully, it heals or I find a work around cuz this kinda sucks! 

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Canzvt said:

SUPER COOL!!! Looks WAY easier on the bench with a plastic model... Observed a heart surgery years ago as we were developing an aeortic clamp for bypass surgery. The rib spreaders were brutal! This looks way more civilized, yet dangerously close to the spinal cord. Amazing that they do this surgery multiple times a week. Looks like you were in the right place.

Good luck on your recovery Cory.

There are 3 neurosurgeons at the clinic and they all do 350-400 procedures a year. My surgeon did 2 other patients the day I had mine done.

They go through the abdomen so they don't have to work around the spinal cord... obviously, it's still super close though.

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, thruster said:

Praying for you and wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for all you do for the T7 and the videos you make inspire me to be a better rider. 

Thanks!

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, T7Texan said:

Cory @Camel ADV, Best of luck for a full & speedy recovery, mate. 

Thanks buddy!