Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone here actually plan on taking your T7 offroad?

Cruizin

I love dirtbikes. I like the challenge of an exhausting ride in the Mountains of Idaho. Sweating like a pig as I maneuver my bike up and over rocks, thru trails that kind of exist, and the satisfaction of sitting atop a mountain looking at views that not many other people will ever see. 

I plan on taking my Tenere 700 to some of the places that I visit on my KTM and other past dirt/dual sport bikes and will build it for that purpose. 

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

• Like 7

You need to save weight. Get a decat exhaust...tail tidy. Twalcom will release a single brake disc set up. More weight saving. Boano will offer a 300mm front suspension. Not sure about the rear. Maybe thinner rear rim will offer more weight saving and better off road...

• Like 1

And don't forget yamaha is not Ktm.  Not ready to race. Different philosophy...everything is softer smoother and quieter...

• Like 5

You got some fine pics there Cruizin, I sure plan on getting my T7 into some pretty rugged terrain, and maybe have a pic or two to share that might come close to yours. If I wasn't going to "rough it" I would have got a bike with a lower seat!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, al700 said:

You need to save weight. Get a decat exhaust...tail tidy. Twalcom will release a single brake disc set up. More weight saving. Boano will offer a 300mm front suspension. Not sure about the rear. Maybe thinner rear rim will offer more weight saving and better off road...

I will reduce weight any way that I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

I will reduce weight any way that I can.

You have said that before. I wonder though how far you are willing to go.

One thing I noticed when seeing the bike in the flesh last Friday for the first time was the unused lugs on the motor. Two smaller ones on the front and one large one on the back. Looking at an MT07 the following day, I see the rear one holds the rear spring on that bike. Would you remove these? It would be a tricky job I would have thought. 
Just wunderin.

• Moderators

If I am riding on a road, it is on the way to do some offroading. This will be the largest, and more importantly heaviest bike I’ve owned, and my experience is solely on trail riding & single track. I got this bike to extend the range of riding I can do, as my smaller displacement dualsport is quite taxing to ride on the highway. I am planning on having my hands full once I get into the gnarly stuff, but am fortunate enough to ride with a group that can always yank me out of trouble. Knowing I will drop this bike multiple times has me nervous to say the least, but at least I will be able to justify a good set of crash bars. Definitely looking forward to posting lots of pics of myself caught in compromising situations, and am truly looking to put this bike to the test and keep you all posted.... sometime after mid May...

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Yes, I got it yesterday and have done a few trails already. Nothing hardcore. Taking it easy until I get used to it. 

• Like 2

I definitely plan on taking it off road! I have road cross country on my WR250R and honestly I think the T7 is going to be a bit big and bulky for what I like. I like single track riding and hill climbs and tight technical stuff, what I really want to see is  a WR450R street legal but where the T7 will really shine is when your forced onto those highway stretches or road stints to the next trail head. 

Stoked for the T7 to hit the showroom floors ! until then ill rev the heck out of my WR250R. 

• Like 2

Not sure about single track yet.  I pre-ordered the T7 for BDRs and longer adventures.  I'll do 50" on it for sure.  For single track I'll stick with the KLX.  I like my KLX and it is fine for BDRs except getting to and from the start/finish points.  The T7 will solve this problem.

GOPR0683.thumb.JPG.7348c032950206e342f47674547f7091.JPG

• Like 3

Approx 60 KM from the shop where I pick up the bike to my house. After leaving the town where the shop it's mainly highway, all the way to my house, 100 KPH all the way apart from slowing down for two small towns.

or......

I could avoid the highway all together, take back sealed roads for about 15 KM until I hit the dirt tracks, nothing too technical mind you, just car tracks through the bush and back tracks, this will take my much longer to get home but would be a lot more fun, and probably much better for the brand new engine.

No points for guessing which option I plan on taking!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Still a week off from picking it up, but my plan is to take it more off-road than on-road, living here in Southern Utah makes it easy. I live at 6800 ft. elevation surrounded by fire roads and trails. So my plan is to play up here in the higher elevations during the summer, and than down around St. George and Warner Valley in the winter.  Will be interesting during the winter first ten miles or so from my house is typically snow covered, but usually they do a good job of clearing the roads. Riding in the winter is just like walking in space, you just got to dress for it.

• Like 3

The T7 is pretry much rally ready, just add a roadbook, plus no fancy rider assistance electronics, its a pure twist & go. 

I think the only thing I'd like to see is an option to do away with the fuel injection for a carb. 

I intend to use it for what it was designed for, there is 40 years of rally breeding in this bike & it would be a shame to not ride it like you stole it. 

• Like 2

I was looking for a more capable dirt ADV bike or a new dual sport bike.

Lots of riding groups here in SOCAL and many places to go off road. 

I was actually looking at the 690/500/450 KTMs. 

I knew of the T7 from the Euro and AUS launch.

I only switched from buying the KTM when the US customers for the T7 started to get theirs. Went back on YT to see the Aussies having fun on their T7s and their modding. 

I have two Yamaha WR dirt bikes and they have been really good to me. So I put a deposit on a T7 last Saturday. 

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 3

"Going offroad is actually illegal where i live". 

Do you have any off-road in your country? The rural county I live in is twice the size of Luxembourg and we have only 7000 residents.  Every time they build a new house I think about moving. Too damn crowded.😡 

http://horseshoebendidahoweather.com/template/indexDesktop.php

3 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

I am going to ride the really tough trails to

starbucks_ferguson_store_1.jpg

Perfect for my setup 

20200618193132_IMG_0490.jpg

• Like 3

I got mine knowing that my days of real off-road are gone. I only planned on doing light trails and logging roads with some stairs and pathways for extra fun. It handles basic off roading really well but for an average rider, it's a little tall and heavy. This is a shot from my last ride up in the mountains. This is about half way up, before we got to the muddy potholes.

IMG_20200621_114758_resized_20200622_090108506.jpg

IMG_20200621_114825_resized_20200622_090107609.jpg

• Like 6

No more single track or hard core for me. There are plenty of forest and national park tracks here in Oz to keep me amused. I don't mind slabbing on tar to get home after two days.

• Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Ciao io portata e si comporta bene se vuoi vedere il video vai su YouTube e scrivi buzzo70 e sono i miei video ciao