Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

There's all grades of aluminium with different properties. 6000 series is used by  Adventurespec. There's different types of steel also, again different properties. Met a rider who dropped his T7 with Yamaha bars , he said that required straightening. Someone on this forum reported dropping bike with Adventurespec, I remember that they held held up. But if you think steel is stronger your choice. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peter M DK said:

In Denmark

I'm told that the SW mototech is not very good. I'm hearing that the Touratech and adventure spec bars are both pretty good and strong. 

Skid plate, the Camel ADV plate that  is the best I've seen , and is on sale now. Also, the ACD racing plate looks good too.

• Like 2

Do not buy the motortec outback brand. I couldn't even get the skidplate they said was compatible with the center stand. Because they lied. They are now making ones that are by there own account but they are not ready. This company will tell you what you want to hear just to get a sale. Then after all that I went to put the crash bars on and they didn't fit either. Others told me they had to bend them to fit. Some said they had no problems with them but there are clearly those that had nightmares with them. It's a crapshoot with this company

I am going to buy Heed bunker.

Maybe is heavier by  1 or 2 kilos but they are solid and cost less.

Edited by Clear
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mckaymnm said:

Do not buy the motortec outback brand. I couldn't even get the skidplate they said was compatible with the center stand. Because they lied. They are now making ones that are by there own account but they are not ready. This company will tell you what you want to hear just to get a sale. Then after all that I went to put the crash bars on and they didn't fit either. Others told me they had to bend them to fit. Some said they had no problems with them but there are clearly those that had nightmares with them. It's a crapshoot with this company

I had to bend mine to fit as well

• Sad 1

My T7 and my crash bars are the best, because they are mine.😁

Seriously,  I'm very pleased with Heed crash bars. I've ordered the basic version due to the lower weight  and price. No issues with fitment at all.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CoreCass said:

mine was ordered lasts Monday. shipped today.  im expecting it at Saturday as it comes from polen.

@OU812 

do you know if the adventure spec bash plate fits with ?  as adventure spec does not know and to me it seems thy should if i look at the mounting spots.  but as you already have one maybe can shed a light on this for me ?

and if not. what do you use ?

I'm going to order the camel adv one soon, it's stated to fit with the bunkers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, tj3089 said:

I was originally planning on the ADV spec crash bars too, but after reading a post about them bending in a crash I decided to go with something else. The poster said the bars flexed in the crash, causing damage to the plastics.

Might have been me - after a day of hard off road and 5 or so drops they came flush with the fairing on the one side and cracked it. My last down also had some decent forward momentum to it and the lower cross brace punched in my header a bit. I can't actually say if an alternate set would have made out any better, but they certainly saved my radiator.

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

15 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

I'd be pretty keen to see that, sounds like a money saver!

Not really - it costs an arm and a leg.

Edited by Desert Mariner
  • Haha 1

On 11/4/2020 at 11:58 PM, CasualADV said:

The tubing wall is way thicker than steel ones. I wouldn't discredit aluminum. 

I have tested the Adventurespec crash bars first hand, they bend a little with every crash.  Mine unfortunately ended up cracking my plastic on the right side of the bike .....

7 minutes ago, Toppie said:

I'm thinking of ordering the Motea option.

I bought a centre stand from them a couple of weeks back and it's very good.

It crash bars are equally good, I'll be happy.

https://www.motea.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=+crash+bars+tenere+700

I have a complete set for sale.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peter M DK said:

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

What location are you in? 

• Moderators

This Outback Motortek video speaks for itself. If I am offroading legit, I will attach both the upper and lower. When I'm not, I will take them both off or just leave the lower.

1 hour ago, tenerecanada said:

This Outback Motortek video speaks for itself. If I am offroading legit, I will attach both the upper and lower. When I'm not, I will take them both off or just leave the lower.

The Outback crash bars seem very legit, but my concern would be the upper rear attach point of the lower bars. Looks like a great place to bash your knee, maybe? 

I would like to see the other manufacturers pull and drag theirs for 8 meters. I think that most would fail miserably.

OM is what I have bought for mine. That video is what made my decision.

In a fall, all crash bars could be points for possible knee or leg injuries.Or they could hold the bike up just enough to prevent it.

Edited by DWEL700
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWEL700 said:

I would like to see the other manufacturers pull and drag theirs for 8 meters. I think that most would fail miserably.

OM is what I have bought for mine. That video is what made my decision.

In a fall, all crash bars could be points for possible knee or leg injuries.

I was thinking more along the lines of while standing, riding the bike. Where it sticks out, looks like it'll be in the way for bending your knees and moving around on the pegs. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, RockRider said:

I was thinking more along the lines of while standing, riding the bike. Where it sticks out, looks like it'll be in the way for bending your knees and moving around on the pegs. 

I am hoping to be able to answer that in the coming weeks. I am not a huge person which may help my cause.

The most lightweight, only aluminium option is Adventurespec. I personally have these with the additional protection of R&G case protectors. 

There's no guarantee that you will drop your bike on a flat surface free from rocks! There's no guarantee that ANY crash bar protectors will stop ALL damage from a drop. I personally like the lightweight option, as after a drop it's easier to lift. 

On 10/20/2019 at 9:04 AM, TheStig said:

Luckily i recently fitted R&G engine protectors to my new T7 as i stupidly managed to drop my bike today onto a very low brick wall. As you can see from the first pic, the engine protectors took the brunt of the damage but they did their job perfectly, as the engine casing itself survived without a single mark on it! The bike fell pretty heavily and i don't think regular crash bars would have saved that particular part of engine from as much damage as these did. The second pic shows how the rear pegs also dug into the brickwork & in doing so, stopped the exhaust system from further damage. Whatever you choose to protect your investment, it's never too early to purchase it, as i've only just had my first service before this happened. My bike fortunately got away with just a few bashed up areas which are easily tidied up but it could have been a lot worse, so always wear protection, you know it makes sense! :0p

R&G Protectors.jpg

Rear Pegs.jpg

I am not so sure about those aluminium crash bars ... I suppose it depends on how you ride and how clumsy you are. Aluminium will bend more than steel, it they are sized similarly ...

In my case I am still debating between the Touratech and Outback Motortek ... but I also heard the the Heed are good. .... Too many decisions, not enough money.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 12:30 AM, JamesE said:

I haven't personally used them, but @Wilcollinsphotos has them and they have saved his bike on a couple of falls.

Adventure Spec have also extensively reviewed them on a trip to Morocco.

I have the Adventure Spec crash bars.

Easy installation and they seem very robust.

Three drops so far and not a mark on them, though this was in soft sand.....

• Like 2