Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

211 answers to this question

Ordered the Adventure Spec a month or two ago, been on backorder but excited to get them in.

• Like 1

well in that case i hope you get em fast..  i heard that thy put most stuff back on stock last week.

had contact with em for a bash plate.  not jet bought

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Veider said:

Same with me. Aluminum is not a steel, ADV specs must be less durable. I will go for HEED

The tubing wall is way thicker than steel ones. I wouldn't discredit aluminum. 

I have the Adventure spec crash Bars. I chose these because they are lighter and look nice imo. After my first fall in grass going about 10km/h the bars bent 1-2cm inward on the right side. They did their job protecting the bike as nothing else was damaged, though it is a bit worrying that they have already bent after such a slow fall. 

I ordered a set from HEED. It took only two weeks to have them shipped from Poland to Florida/USA. The packaging was wonderful -no damage - everything was well protected. The finish and welds look good. Instructions have photographs. I will be installing them this weekend.

8CB11E12-5B3D-402B-9E87-DF7F4734F2D0.jpeg

7C8FE4DA-FED8-4411-B1CB-A5D678AE0114.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 11:58 PM, CasualADV said:

The tubing wall is way thicker than steel ones. I wouldn't discredit aluminum. 

i went for steel as well. my understanding is, and i might be totally wrong :

strength wise. you need same amount of weight of aluminium to be equal to steel.

bare in mind this is just aluminium not a aluminium alloy.

you can zink coat steel so it wont rust. if you add paint or powder coat it. it hold even longer.

tough i think a cage is better as no cage.

5 hours ago, CoreCass said:

i went for steel as well. my understanding is, and i might be totally wrong :

strength wise. you need same amount of weight of aluminium to be equal to steel.

bare in mind this is just aluminium not a aluminium alloy.

you can zink coat steel so it wont rust. if you add paint or powder coat it. it hold even longer.

tough i think a cage is better as no cage.

Adv-spec say their bars are made of a 6000 series aluminum. They don't say which specifically. But steel isn't just steel, either. There is an extremely wide range of steels, same with aluminum alloys. Unless you're well versed in metallurgy, I think you'd be surprised at which properties each can pull off. I do have a few metallurgy courses under my belt and spent a few years machining aircraft grade aluminums for a living, and I still don't know enough to weigh in on this subject. I'm just not very worried about it. 

If there was a list of the grades of steels other brands were using, and we knew what adv-spec actually used, along with wall thicknesses and diameters laid out in a table, we'd all have an easier time debating it. Until then, no one knows. Do what makes you feel good.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, BAM2002 said:

I ordered a set from HEED. It took only two weeks to have them shipped from Poland to Florida/USA. The packaging was wonderful -no damage - everything was well protected. The finish and welds look good. Instructions have photographs. I will be installing them this weekend.

8CB11E12-5B3D-402B-9E87-DF7F4734F2D0.jpeg

7C8FE4DA-FED8-4411-B1CB-A5D678AE0114.jpeg

How did the instal go Bam? Any pics?

They went on pretty easily. I only had to pry a little bit for one hole to line up everything else - lined up and bolted up.  I just had to take off the side covers and remove two of the three screws of one of the inner side fairings. So that he could rotate out of the way to get to the bolts.

866FB1AE-DB3D-4B4F-811F-16EC703C7EED.jpeg

9A7C7F34-6E33-4D07-A5DA-C0885ED7EA7D.jpeg

• Like 2

@BAM2002 at the very bottom point is there a connection? Their pictures on their website are not clear on how it mounts, it looks like the bottom bar just kinda hangs in space by the skid plate. 

Thanks in advance,

Mike

while picking up my bike today - dealer offered to sell me yamaha bars at a very sweet discount.  will let ya;ll know what i find

Just fitted my AS bars . Incredibly light and very easy to fit, brilliant finish and seem to be very strong so hopefully i wont find out.

8D085C1A-9463-415C-8356-51FE6198484E.jpeg

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 10/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, tj3089 said:

I'm trying to decide between the Basic and Bunker crash bars too.  The basics weigh ~15lbs and the bunker model weighs ~23lbs.  It feels wrong adding that much weight to this bike, but I'd probably feel worse after dropping it a couple times without protection.  I've been lucky so far. 

@tj3089. Which Heed bars did you end up with?  I'm wrestling with getting a AXP skid vs Camel gut guard which impacts which Heed crashbars would fit. Camel + Bunker or Basic,  said to fit. AXP only works with the Basic, not the Bunker. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I went on Heed Bunker as it covers all parts of the bike. Yes it is a little bit heavier but the load is low enough and not noticable.

The price is superb but it is a little sad that it can not compatible with AXP skid plate 

IMG_20201129_081048.jpg

IMG_20201129_081100.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, here (in another tread) my experience with Outback Motortek:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZJW said:

@tj3089. Which Heed bars did you end up with?  I'm wrestling with getting a AXP skid vs Camel gut guard which impacts which Heed crashbars would fit. Camel + Bunker or Basic,  said to fit. AXP only works with the Basic, not the Bunker. 

I went with the Heed bunker bars as well. Unfortunately, I had to hack up my ACD skid plate to fit with the crash bars. If I could do it again, I would order the Heed skid plate or camel adv one. 

20201125_155346.jpg

• Like 1

Also, I installed the bunker bars without removing the side covers.  The trick is to use a retching wrench, and slide the 2 bolts into place before lining them up under the side covers.  Very easy to install, but the instructions could have been better and it helps to have someone hold them up while placing the bolts (I used a zip tie attachted to the bracket under the headlight). 

13 minutes ago, tj3089 said:

I went with the Heed bunker bars as well. Unfortunately, I had to hack up my ACD skid plate to fit with the crash bars. If I could do it again, I would order the Heed skid plate or camel adv one. 

20201125_155346.jpg

Is the ADV Camel bashplate compatible with the Heed Bunker bars? I was looking at this solution but still struggling understanding what is compatible with what. I have the H&B centre stand. 

25 minutes ago, Treps said:

Is the ADV Camel bashplate compatible with the Heed Bunker bars? I was looking at this solution but still struggling understanding what is compatible with what. I have the H&B centre stand. 

According to @AZJW it might fit. 

1 hour ago, Treps said:

Go to the source...  @Camel ADV or you can take a look at the website, scroll down to the confirmed fitment section..  they do!  Camel ADV

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Go to the source...  @Camel ADV or you can take a look at the website, scroll down to the confirmed fitment section..  they do!  Camel ADV

thanks - my bad... i have been looking at too many combinations - cheers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Treps said:

thanks - my bad... i have been looking at too many combinations - cheers 

No prob, BTW Camel ADV has a sale on now for the gut guard!

• Like 1