Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best crash bar?

Peter M DK

Question

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

Same for me, my advspec bent to a point I need to replace them. I just bought some Heed basic.

I really wanted to love the lightness of the advspec aluminium bars, but let’s be honest, they are not very strong. IT was a mistake to buy them.

I've got Heed rear crash bars and the OEM fronts.  They've taken two falls to the right on rocks (and now I have a Huzar high exhaust, because I beat the crap out of the stock one in those two crashes) and that's bent the right side OEM bars inwards about half an inch.  It's not really noticeable unless you look really close and compare, but I'm thinking I'm going to swap them out for Heed Bunkers if they get bent in any further to where I'd doubt their ability to continue protecting the plastics.  Still, I got a good deal on the OEM bars, and with $30 aliexpress bags on them, I'm not super eager to ditch them.  Getting bags for the Heed bars will likely cost a bunch more. 

The two crashes where not high speed, but they where hard falls down onto rocks, so the bending on the OEM bars is definitely reasonable given their design, for what that's worth.  I don't feel they are a bad choice at all.

I've got AdventureSpec.  They're much lighter than most and proved their worth on more occasions than I care to remember.

Outback motortek lower bars and good barkbuster style handguard protection will save your wallet.  Mine have earned their keep.  Some have problems fitting them, I didnt.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, Peter M DK said:

I am very close to ordering a T7, but are in doubt regarding which crash bar to get. 

I am looking for the balance of style and protection. 

Which one is the best?

Currently the candidates are:

The OEM? +OEM +Looks like good protection. -Is going too high up/ugly/heavy. 

Outback Mototrek (only the lower part)? +Looks like a strong mount +Light. -Is not going high enough to protect the sides well. 

SW-Motech? I can not see how strong it is mounted. +Covers a good area. 

Any others?

Which one to go for?

I can get a good price on the OEM with the bike. 

I am tossing the OEM bars, took a minor spill and the bracket / tab mount bent easily allowing the bars to smash into the plastics and that's what smashed my fairing, not being hit themselves in the crash, complete garbage.  going with outback motortek and see how those work out

• Like 1

+1 for Heed bunker.

I have dropped bike into the ditch with Heed bunker and all I have damaged is stock exhaust. Complete front end was intact and crash bars didn't move a mm. 

I went with ADVspec ones, so much lighter than the steel options, I don't tend to drop it too much but will keep an eye on them, so far so good.

As mentioned, I reckon the majority of the movement will be from the mounting tabs not the tubing and I'm going to beef those up a bit next time they're off.

Circa 8kg less of weight makes a big difference. I had steel bars on my last bike and without them fitted could throw the bike around so much more I probably wouldn't have dropped it in the first place a lot of times!

20 minutes ago, AndCL said:

I don't tend to drop it too much

I don't intend to drop the bike at all but i know that will happen anyway and probably more than funny at moments.

6 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I don't intend to drop the bike at all but i know that will happen anyway and probably more than funny at moments.

Haha same here, not 'much' but it does happen. I've already accepted my daily ridden and weekend play T7 will never be starbucks level perfect since it left the showroom, and I don't mind fixing bits now and again, I think the ADVspec bars will take the sting out of any offs without a big weight penalty, I will look at those mounting flanges and add a bit to them soon though.

I think that if you are putting crash bars you should not be looking at weight but actual benefits and long term savings.

I would always choose steel over aluminium for stuff that should not bend. You can only save a little amount of weight in Aluminium vs steel.

I did consider the Touratech ones but I changed my mind based on looks. Not that it looks bad but I think it breaks the natural lines in the bike.

I have the Outback Motortek and I am quite happy with them. I can put Givi side bags on them when fully loaded, when they touch the ground they are quite sturdy, it looks good and rugged, you have good points to lift the bike if you put her down. You could also color match them to your liking since the lowers are minimalistic and the uppers are just an upgrade level. 

Here is a pic (not mine) with a nice combo.

139080a6-fc4c-426f-9830-ce3e88acaa74-1024x576.jpg

https://outbackmotortek.com/a-wild-yamaha-tenere-700-conversion/

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, Ibex mike said:

I am tossing the OEM bars, took a minor spill and the bracket / tab mount bent easily allowing the bars to smash into the plastics and that's what smashed my fairing, not being hit themselves in the crash, complete garbage.  going with outback motortek and see how those work out

So, mine's gone down three times.  Two on the right, one on the left.  All three low speed, but kind of forceful.  The OEM crash bars are bent in towards the plastics such that there's only about a 1/4" left between the bar and the plastics at the top.

I'm doing what @Ibex mike is, and pulling mine in favour of some Heed Bunker bars - mostly because my rear Heed crash bars are *rock solid* and seem much better designed.  The OEM crash bars work, for sure, they aren't bad, but the loops that run up and around the plastics on the top portion are unsupported and bend in pretty easily.  

I'd say the OEM bars are great for someone who wants something minimal that looks good and will protect you in the case of a minor tip over, but only someone who doesn't expect to have their bike take naps regularly.

• Like 1

I drop tested mine the other day after hitting some of the rubber waste water that drains on the roads here in Thailand from the trucks hauling the raw rubber from the rubber tree plantations, the stuff is like ice and is a big problem. No warning...Bam! and you are tumbling down the road.
As you can see, the Touratech did what they were suppose to do, a little satin black rattle can action and it will be all good.  One thing I could suggest on the Touratech bars is to drill weep holes at the lowest point to drain any water that might find its way inside the tubing.  I know this from an experience I had with one of my other bikes.

T7 Drop Test Crash Bars.jpg

• Like 5

What would have been damaged if there was no lower part?

It looks like the skidplate would have taken the whole beating.

In general, are lower parts a must have?

I would use the Heed basic without the lower part.

Although the extra weight 2,5-3 kg of the bunker will be located close to the engine and will not be noticed.

Choices, choices.

Edited by RedStrom
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 1:55 PM, RedStrom said:

What would have been damaged if there was no lower part?

It looks like the skidplate would have taken the whole beating.

In general, are lower parts a must have?

I would use the Heed basic without the lower part.

Although the extra weight 2,5-3 kg of the bunker will be located close to the engine and will not be noticed.

Choices, choices.

I would also like to know you guys opinion..

I'm getting my T7 in 2days and I was thinking about getting only the Heed basic front crash bars.

Are the back crash bars that important?

Thanks

+1 for Dirtracks

Solid design and build, excellent value.

dirtracks.com

dirtracks.ca

IMG_7848 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

I have Dirtracks as well.  I have not dropped the bike so for now they are just ornaments.  Quality stuff.

I decided to replace my Moteo with the Heavy Duty Enduro... out of stock...
Put myself on the notification list.
Hope they're back in stock quickly because 2 April i go for a Advanced offroad training and i'm almost sure i have to tweak my skidplate to have them fit.

And ordered.
Got a mail today that they where back in stock but limited so i ordered it right away.
I guess i'll have them in 1 or 2 weeks.
Somebody interested in a Set Motea? Didn't crash yet so the upper is still unscaved and the lower are never mounted. Was still waiting for the first oil change when i would have the skidplate off anyway.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, Ray Ride4life said:

And ordered.
Got a mail today that they where back in stock but limited so i ordered it right away.
I guess i'll have them in 1 or 2 weeks.
Somebody interested in a Set Motea? Didn't crash yet so the upper is still unscaved and the lower are never mounted. Was still waiting for the first oil change when i would have the skidplate off anyway.

Why the change? Motea not ok?

I am looking for either the Motea 9upper) or Heed (upper). Hence my question.

ps: Advanced training - where?

17 minutes ago, RedStrom said:

Why the change? Motea not ok?

I am looking for either the Motea 9upper) or Heed (upper). Hence my question.

ps: Advanced training - where?

The Motea was very OK and it took weeks of thinking if i should do it or not because the high ones also have advantages, my set (high and low but the low was never mounted) is for sale. New set is now with discounts at Motea €187 and you can have mine (not crashed with it) for €125. Like i said, the low set is completely new.
What had me turned in favour of changing was my LED bar i had waiting for installing.
I ride al year round and on my commute i tend to take the offroad parts also in the dark and i wanted the LED bar on the triple tree so it turns when i turn the wheel as the main lights are fixed in one direction.
With the Motea it would come too low due to the crossbar under the headlight which is off course an important part of the strength.
If you're interested and you come pick it up i can help you install them right here.

Thanks for the great offer.

But I like the Heed bars more.

So I just ordered them.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of ordering the Motea option.

I bought a centre stand from them a couple of weeks back and it's very good.

It crash bars are equally good, I'll be happy.

https://www.motea.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=+crash+bars+tenere+700

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I have a complete set for sale.

I was looking at the smaller top section when browsing their website but,  I would consider the one you have if I can find out whether the bottom fouls the front cross bar or not.

Also, postage might be a factor.

Motea's postage is cheap to Ireland.

I think the CAT will be in the way of the bottom bars cross member.

I'll see if I can find out from Motea.

• Thanks 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

17 minutes ago, Toppie said:

I was looking at the smaller top section when browsing their website but,  I would consider the one you have if I can find out whether the bottom fouls the front cross bar or not.

Also, postage might be a factor.

Motea's postage is cheap to Ireland.

I think the CAT will be in the way of the bottom bars cross member.

I'll see if I can find out from Motea.

I have to work 'till 7 but when i get home i'll see if i can find the postage costs.