Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

On 4/7/2022 at 1:37 AM, Wintersdark said:

Man, I love how peoples opinions on gearing are so wildly different.  I'm still thinking about dropping a front tooth, the idea of adding one seems mind-boggling.  Stock gearing will do 200kph.  

I don't see any value in reducing cruising RPM, though.  It's a great sounding engine.  Let it roar!  Also, shorter gearing means more wheelies and easier low-speed tractoring.

To each their own, though.

So my rational is that I need good fuel mileage to get to where I'm going, then be able to rip it up once I'm there. If I were to truck my bike to the mountains, I would probably have left it stock, or gone down a tooth on the front. With the intake/pipe/ECU mods 16T front gains me about .5-.8L/100 if I can stay out of the throttle. When I have to ride 200-400kms just to get to the good stuff, it makes a difference.

The bike has tons of torque down low, and with a bit of clutch work in the tight stuff, the 16T has never been a problem, and that includes some knarly rocky uphill climb stuff that I should have had my WR450 for (or a 14T front sprocket...😉).

But you are right, each to his/her own.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So my rational is that I need good fuel mileage to get to where I'm going, then be able to rip it up once I'm there. If I were to truck my bike to the mountains, I would probably have left it stock, or gone down a tooth on the front. With the intake/pipe/ECU mods 16T front gains me about .5-.8L/100 if I can stay out of the throttle. When I have to ride 200-400kms just to get to the good stuff, it makes a difference.

The bike has tons of torque down low, and with a bit of clutch work in the tight stuff, the 16T has never been a problem, and that includes some knarly rocky uphill climb stuff that I should have had my WR450 for (or a 14T front sprocket...😉).

That's an enormous improvement regarding fuel efficiency!

I think i'll try the 16T front.
Have a big trip coming and i think the TET Finland is not too technical but then again i ordered a Camel one finger clutch kit so it should be easy enough to play with the clutch if needed.
If i don't like it i can always go back.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I think i'll try the 16T front.
Have a big trip coming and i think the TET Finland is not too technical but then again i ordered a Camel one finger clutch kit so it should be easy enough to play with the clutch if needed.
If i don't like it i can always go back.

As you know I just recently added the one finger clutch and cut off the lever. Every time I pull in the clutch lever it is a notable joy. I am sure the excitement will pass but for now it is extra fun on my T7. I am interested in the 16T also So I want to hear your experience on the rocky uphills. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Canzvt said:

For sure.  On this bike in particular (well, CP2 bikes overall, this applies to the MT07 as well) there's a profound difference in fuel economy depending on speed and rpm after around 100kph.  Really, really big difference. 

I won't drop a tooth on the front of the T7 because of that, despite how I actually strongly agree with @Camel ADV's logic that it allows better low speed control - in first, you'll be moving much slower when tractoring along, and it'll be harder to stall.  But yeah, for sure going to a 16t front is gonna save significant fuel.  Me, though?  If I need more range where I'm going, I'll bring more gas with me, I'm not giving up even the slightest bit of that glorious torque!  Giant loop has those nice, light fuel bags......

2 hours ago, NeilW said:

As you know I just recently added the one finger clutch and cut off the lever. Every time I pull in the clutch lever it is a notable joy. I am sure the excitement will pass but for now it is extra fun on my T7. I am interested in the 16T also So I want to hear your experience on the rocky uphills. 

Cut off the lever?  Shortened the 1f clutch arm to work with the OEM crash bars you mean?  Or cut your stock clutch lever down to being a short lever?

1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

Cut off the lever?  Shortened the 1f clutch arm to work with the OEM crash bars you mean?  Or cut your stock clutch lever down to being a short lever?

I cut down the stock clutch lever. I also replaced my OEM crash bars with SW Motech crash bars. 

camel-adv-1-finger-clutch-kit-review-yam

Camel ADV 1 Finger Clutch Kit Review: We wanted a lighter clutch pull so we could use a shorter clutch lever. The solution came...

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/04/03/sw-motech-crash-bars-review-yamaha-tenere-700-project-bike/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rekiem said:

Change oil and filter at 7515 km. 

I had to take my skid plate off so I just changed the oil at 4500miles while it was off.

21 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I changed oil because oil level was so high. When I bought the bike had high oil level. At 1000km at dealer service again high oil level. 2,6 liter with filter as Yamaha say on owner manual it's a perfect oil level.

The bike runs better and the cluch lever feels better, smoth and soft.

• Like 1

20220408_181639.thumb.jpg.e953746a88f8f03a6246a07e0b7a1388.jpg

Got the GPS front mounted, and took a scrub in ride.  

Sadly, 70kph winds made it pretty sketchy on the highway.  I love this bike, but it's a bit of a sail.  It was fine at lower speed, but at 120kph it was pretty rough.

Figured out the deal with the tires and how they feel.  It's not because of the stiffness as I'd originally theorized, it's the weight.  They're MUCH heavier than the Scorpions,  and that rotating mass definitely has a stabilizing factor at speed.  They run smooth on pavement, though, felt good in the brief bit of dirt I did - but there was only minimal dirt time with the front tire.  

For 50/50 tires, they feel VERY good on pavement and even at lean.  Very smooth when upright, and while there's a bit of that knobbybuzz on the edge of the tire it's still solid and not vague feeling.  Excellent feedback, way better road manners than the Adventure front. 

Of course will have to wait and see how the set is in gribblier terrain, as I've only had them on hard dirt and gravel, but I fully expect them to be way better than the stock tires at the very least.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

20220408_181639.thumb.jpg.e953746a88f8f03a6246a07e0b7a1388.jpg

Sadly, 70kph winds made it pretty sketchy on the highway.  I love this bike, but it's a bit of a sail.  It was fine at lower speed, but at 120kph it was pretty rough.

Figured out the deal with the tires and how they feel.  It's not because of the stiffness as I'd originally theorized, it's the weight.  They're MUCH heavier than the Scorpions,  and that rotating mass definitely has a stabilizing factor at speed.  They run smooth on pavement, though, felt good in the brief bit of dirt I did - but there was only minimal dirt time with the front tire.  

For 50/50 tires, they feel VERY good on pavement and even at lean.  Very smooth when upright, and while there's a bit of that knobbybuzz on the edge of the tire it's still solid and not vague feeling.  Excellent feedback, way better road manners than the Adventure front. 

Of course will have to wait and see how the set is in gribblier terrain, as I've only had them on hard dirt and gravel, but I fully expect them to be way better than the stock tires at the very least.

That's a Motoz Dual Venture front?

Can't wait to wear my Scorpions down.

5 hours ago, Tenerider said:

That's a Motoz Dual Venture front?

Can't wait to wear my Scorpions down.

It's the GPS front.  The Dual Venture is more aggressive (a reversible knobby tire, the upgraded version of the Adventure) and how I actually wanted to go, but it was still out of stock at the time.  I figured I'd give the GPS a go, as my Adventure front is studded and I didn't want to pull them out  - better to just leave it set up for next winter. 

• Like 1

Added a twin usb socket in the RHS hole. Scrapped the stock connector and added a new one.

Yes, I tidied up the wires before reassembly 🙂

IMG_20220409_160403.thumb.jpg.97ac9c45f05b3aac39f53d9053b81b27.jpgIMG_20220409_160413.thumb.jpg.8e41656d5e005f67a0ca5935d85f5263.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Good to hear, I have a set in the garage to install in the next few days....did you do the #m tubless seal on the rear? Did you protect the #M 4411N with anything ?

Thanks

BUSY DAY!

Camel Anti-bobble kit installed. 

Camel Tail tidy installed. 

Cyclops front and rear turn signals installed 

Cyclops Pegasus LED lights installed with Skene dimmer.  

HealTech ThunderBox installed.  

C7C88C07-C694-4E01-A2E3-B46876ECD7B7.jpeg

E6C47AAE-D5AD-440B-A351-21E2C77B2F2F.jpeg

608BD4A8-1F8C-41C9-A262-C76885A43302.jpeg

FD48DDDB-F934-4649-9F03-A134547F5C86.jpeg

• Like 2

I installed a set of Cyclops auxiliary lights.  For anyone else who has installed aftermarket lights, how did you stow any excess wiring?  I was losing my mind trying to figure out what to do with all the excess wiring coming from the lights themselves.

Tenere 6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Bocephous said:

how did you stow any excess wiring?

I have a LED bar so just one wire but i strapped it between the legs onto the brake line behind the side panel.
IMG_20220215_215939.thumb.jpg.5b489cf353bcb91c4896f2c4f12de8b3.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bocephous said:

I installed a set of Cyclops auxiliary lights.  For anyone else who has installed aftermarket lights, how did you stow any excess wiring?  I was losing my mind trying to figure out what to do with all the excess wiring coming from the lights themselves.

Tenere 6.jpeg

I stuffed the relay in the opening behind the steering head. The one with all the electrical cables in it. Sorry pix is sideways. 

9572E440-46D8-4F8C-8EE0-53E88FD49993.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bighopper said:

Good to hear, I have a set in the garage to install in the next few days....did you do the #m tubless seal on the rear? Did you protect the #M 4411N with anything ?

Thanks

Nah, I have no problems using tubes.  *shrugs*  They work just fine for me.  Never understood the issue people have with them really.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Nah, I have no problems using tubes.  *shrugs*  They work just fine for me.  Never understood the issue people have with them really.  

I was wondering as I had seen people that have done the tubeless thing have failures. I have heavy duty tubes so I will install them. Thanks

Just reinstalled my bar end weights, which I had to remove when installing my Acerbis X-Factors. The kit M8 screw was way too long, threaded hole in the weights is only about 27mm deep.

Solution for a clean look: Two M8 x 30mm stainless countersunk screws work perfectly. Very happy 😊

A less pedantic rider would probably just use the original M8 button heads from Yamaha's "hand windscreens" on the Acerbis...