Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

5 hours ago, DuncMan said:

I like the box idea but can't quite figure out your "quick release". Presumably the 4 bolts go through the base of the box? So you have to take off 4 nuts to remove the box from the rack? I may be being thick here and missed something? 

Here yer go @DuncMan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

Another place under the tripple tree for a dash cam / action cam. Aluminum plate and m6 bolts.

d_cam.png

• Like 1

Added small air bleed valves to the fork, installed a dual USB charger / voltmeter AND (most important) put on a @Camel ADV STICKER (honestly, I am not sure if I do qualify as an official crew member by using the famous anti bobble head...):

20220417_202612.jpg.c52cadc34232a6e8c950e896004987cf.jpg

20220417_202344.jpg.3cba1f0978a03188f8981fecb20016f2.jpg

20220417_202411.jpg.cb0b66f1acc3cc80fc5c1d08f7432705.jpg

20220417_202534.jpg.aa1d2fc580e4a9bc11f5aa38fc33c2b8.jpg

(photo orientation screwed up again, sorry for that).

USB socket install took me some time, but it was fun. At least until it didn't work because of an aftermarket Sumitomo adapter cable with wrong pin mapping. But patience and zen finally helped tracing the error, so I'm happy. Almost. The rubber cap sits a bit wrong, but I'll have to live with it.

No more farkling!!!

At least for today.

• Like 5

@Toppie, there are some adapter kits which can turn your peli cases and even soft bags into quick release ones.you just bolt them on.  I think it was Sw Motech, but I’ve seen others when I was looking to put standard peli cases as panniers for security when soft bags wouldn’t do. Can’t find the links I had at the mo though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Put @Alf Meister’s old centre stand on her. Mint. Cheers Andy. 
too useful not to. Missing from picture…. The acerbis still in the box 😞😁

1361F1C3-EC67-46E1-8A08-532D7F6DC889.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm getting up near the 1000k and after the first service I'll be upgrading the suspension.  Money isn't really an issue but I don't want to waste $3000 if it's not necessary.  Something has to be done though, the front especially, it dives like a maniac when I go hard on the picks.  I'll pop down to Brisbane and have a long talk with the man at suspension improvements and see what he suggests.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DuncMan said:

TBH, mate, I don't really do B&Bs or hotels so I might just mount mine with bolts. I have 3 Peli type cases of the same size, two of which I no longer need so might pop one on permanent-mount and if I need a quick release set up I'll adapt the other one. Because they're lockable, though, I'm thinking permanent will work for my usage. 

Yeah they’re unbreakable. Great kit. 

• Like 1

20220418_161826.jpg.a84fa973e2a0a3c1c2659bbf9aa5cd5f.jpg

Installed the new Seat Concepts Tall Rally.  It's fantastic - for the first time, with this and the 30mm lowered pegs - my knees sit by where the tank grips are, instead of having my knees up at the white part of the tank.  

The Tall Rally is quite a bit less comfortable than the Tall Comfort seat (thanks again for the sit, @GJones!) But it's almost a full inch taller.  It IS, however, more comfortable than the stock seat.  

Arguably most importantly, there's no seam between the seats and strap to be uncomfortable if I scooch my butt back.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

20220418_161826.jpg.a84fa973e2a0a3c1c2659bbf9aa5cd5f.jpg

Installed the new Seat Concepts Tall Rally.  It's fantastic - for the first time, with this and the 30mm lowered pegs - my knees sit by where the tank grips are, instead of having my knees up at the white part of the tank.  

The Tall Rally is quite a bit less comfortable than the Tall Comfort seat (thanks again for the sit, @GJones!) But it's almost a full inch taller.  It IS, however, more comfortable than the stock seat.  

Arguably most importantly, there's no seam between the seats and strap to be uncomfortable if I scooch my butt back.

Nice.  How tall are you and inseam?

4 minutes ago, kainic said:

Nice.  How tall are you and inseam?

6'4", 34" inseam.  Seat adds 41mm, pegs drop 30mm, bars up 30mm.  

End result is the bars are effectively lowered 11mm when sitting, but raised 60mm while standing, which is incredibly comfortable for me.  Had a lot of trouble standing with the stock setup before risers as it forced me to crouch substantially, but sitting with the risers on the stock seat made it hard to get into a good position for aggressive road riding.  

Now standing on it is great, I'm able to stand up comfortably, and in an attack position feel way more secure with my legs much better positioned to grab the bike.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

End result is the bars are effectively lowered 11mm when sitting, but raised 60mm while standing, which is incredibly comfortable for me.  Had a lot of trouble standing with the stock setup before risers as it forced me to crouch substantially, but sitting with the risers on the stock seat made it hard to get into a good position for aggressive road riding.  

Now standing on it is great, I'm able to stand up comfortably, and in an attack position feel way more secure with my legs much better positioned to grab the bike.

This bike is so make for you   I jealous with 30” inseam if I stop high side on a trail then me and my friends are picking up my bike….

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

More and more I think about those pegs as well... recently added the Yamaha rally seat (love it).

Just curious, when you say "inseam" - is it jeans sizing, or is it actual inner leg length feet to crotch (standing)?

Quite a difference for me: Jeans length is 34", actual length of my legs 93 cm ( 36 1/2 inches).

37 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

More and more I think about those pegs as well... recently added the Yamaha rally seat (love it).

Just curious, when you say "inseam" - is it jeans sizing, or is it actual inner leg length feet to crotch (standing)?

Quite a difference for me: Jeans length is 34", actual length of my legs 93 cm ( 36 1/2 inches).

Feet to crotch while standing, measured roughly myself while barefoot.  I'm all torso, really, given my overall height.  Jeans I generally get in a 32 length.  Your legs are definitely longer.  

I was genuinely surprised at how the lowered pegs would work.  I mean, sure, it's obvious when you think about it, but I've never changed peg height before and there are aspects I hadn't considered particularly on the T7.  My goal was to reduce the bend in my knees, particularly to facilitate standing up with less effort.  I'm a heavy guy (particularly in gear) and with my knees up higher than my hips while sitting (stock) standing up was effectively doing a squat.  This fixed that really well, and transitioning between sitting and standing will be MUCH easier.

But what I didn't really anticipate is how much it impacts everything else while standing.  I mean, as a big guy, I'm used to being really big on every bike I'm on.  Towering over them when I stand, being forced to hunch way over to be able to hold onto the bars which makes prolonged riding standing tiring.  But that 30mm down on the pegs lowers *all* of me while I'm standing.  COG lower, more leg in contact with the sides of the bike, effective handlebar height significantly raised.  

The pegs change was HUGELY impactful, and something I've never really experienced on a motorcycle before. 

And how the seat change AND pegs change together impact things differently in standing vs sitting.  Did a run around the neighborhood in the evening, and having everything feel taller when riding standing then more compact while sitting is fascinating.  Makes the bike sportier when seated and more adventurous when standing.  Without the seat, the height of the bars kind of interfered with sharp, aggressive cornering.  Now with effectively slightly lowered bars it feels so sportbike-like.

All of which leaves me thinking "oh, this is motorcycling for normal sized people" as even with the raised seat, I'm still easily able to get both feet securely down though not flat footed, and I'm able to stand without being so far above the bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NeilW said:

This bike is so make for you   I jealous with 30” inseam if I stop high side on a trail then me and my friends are picking up my bike….

Hah it is, and was a major reason for the purchase.  My life has largely been spent on bikes that are WAY too small and cramped for me.

My other bike is a Tracer 900GT. Not because I'm a huge Sport Touring fan; I really wanted an MT09 but they're simply too small for me.  The Tracer has seen the bulk of its Sport Touring accoutrements removed (handguards, windscreen, bags unless travelling) so it functionally looks like an oversized MT09.  

And it's *still* small for me.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Feet to crotch while standing, measured roughly myself while barefoot.  I'm all torso, really, given my overall height.  Jeans I generally get in a 32 length.  Your legs are definitely longer.  

I was genuinely surprised at how the lowered pegs would work.  I mean, sure, it's obvious when you think about it, but I've never changed peg height before and there are aspects I hadn't considered particularly on the T7.  My goal was to reduce the bend in my knees, particularly to facilitate standing up with less effort.  I'm a heavy guy (particularly in gear) and with my knees up higher than my hips while sitting (stock) standing up was effectively doing a squat.  This fixed that really well, and transitioning between sitting and standing will be MUCH easier.

But what I didn't really anticipate is how much it impacts everything else while standing.  I mean, as a big guy, I'm used to being really big on every bike I'm on.  Towering over them when I stand, being forced to hunch way over to be able to hold onto the bars which makes prolonged riding standing tiring.  But that 30mm down on the pegs lowers *all* of me while I'm standing.  COG lower, more leg in contact with the sides of the bike, effective handlebar height significantly raised.  

The pegs change was HUGELY impactful, and something I've never really experienced on a motorcycle before. 

And how the seat change AND pegs change together impact things differently in standing vs sitting.  Did a run around the neighborhood in the evening, and having everything feel taller when riding standing then more compact while sitting is fascinating.  Makes the bike sportier when seated and more adventurous when standing.  Without the seat, the height of the bars kind of interfered with sharp, aggressive cornering.  Now with effectively slightly lowered bars it feels so sportbike-like.

All of which leaves me thinking "oh, this is motorcycling for normal sized people" as even with the raised seat, I'm still easily able to get both feet securely down though not flat footed, and I'm able to stand without being so far above the bike.

Although I'm only riding since a few months, I can already understand and feel what you're experiencing.

First rides were on a SV650. It felt like a pocket bike, can flatfoot it even if my legs are really spread wide - I was cramped up all the time.

Even the T7 with standard seat was too low for me - but I didn't know until I tried the rally seat. Not only is it more comfy, but my bike control is FAR better, simply due to a better knee/hip angle.

I am going to order the lowered Bosleys soon, not sure if I should also take the setback (probably not, because it would again lower the knee angle). It makes so much sense - especially since I like the handlebar height seated, but not when standing.

Thanks @Wintersdark ! Your reports are more than helpful.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Although I'm only riding since a few months, I can already understand and feel what you're experiencing.

First rides were on a SV650. It felt like a pocket bike, can flatfoot it even if my legs are really spread wide - I was cramped up all the time.

Even the T7 with standard seat was too low for me - but I didn't know until I tried the rally seat. Not only is it more comfy, but my bike control is FAR better, simply due to a better knee/hip angle.

I am going to order the lowered Bosleys soon, not sure if I should also take the setback (probably not, because it would again lower the knee angle). It makes so much sense - especially since I like the handlebar height seated, but not when standing.

Thanks @Wintersdark ! Your reports are more than helpful.

I don't have any setback on mine and am happy with them, but think mild backwards movement would be good.  My size 12's are big, and when you're lowering your controls 30mm, they come back some too as you're rotating them on a pivot.  It's ok for me to be sure, even with my forma adventure boots there's no problem working the controls, but I think back would be a bit better.  

It would permanently move your weight rearwards on the bike while standing, so it would affect overall balance.  I'm not experienced enough to know if that would be for the better or worse, or if it would be noticeable at all or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Anyone struggling with their seats being uncomfortable should check out my recent review of the Cool Covers👍 No more sheepie for me.. 

I saw that, and was very curious, but sadly the SC Tall Rally seat is substantially taller than the OEM rally seat, don't think they'd fit.  

They definitely look worth checking out though for those on OEM seats.

Changed the front sprocket for a 16T and it was needed too.
IMG_20220419_173058.jpg.ad77d81ccb020d5d9474225afd2bd292.jpg

When putting the 16T on you just need to help the chain pass the chain guide.
It's just the side plates of the chain that bumps into it, once in place it runs free.
IMG_20220419_173436.jpg.ce65c0d12610cee8f93437dc8933d25f.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

That sucker was worn out, mate! 😲 Let me know how the 16T works for you. It's very different to the 15T but much better on the road for me. You're currently doing a lot more off-road than I, tho, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

It had 11152km on it.
Before my ScanBaltic trip i will change the whole set, depending how it works for me it will be a new 16T or back to the 15T.
Or maybe the 16T for the trip and a 15T when i get back.
Norway is mostly paved or gravel and i don't expect the TET Finland to be very technical. The fuel economy might be more useful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Possibly drop a tooth on the rear to level it out a bit, mate.

First see tomorrow how or even if i like this.
If i don't like it i order a new 15T and maybe order a 45T rear sprocket when i buy the new set for the ScanBaltic trip.

33 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Changed the front sprocket for a 16T and it was needed too.
IMG_20220419_173058.jpg.ad77d81ccb020d5d9474225afd2bd292.jpg

When putting the 16T on you just need to help the chain pass the chain guide.
It's just the side plates of the chain that bumps into it, once in place it runs free.
IMG_20220419_173436.jpg.ce65c0d12610cee8f93437dc8933d25f.jpg

Any issues getting the bolt loose? What is the torque setting? Loctite?  Thx

15 minutes ago, NeilW said:

The nut on mine was a bugga!

Resorted to an impact driver.....2 seconds flat.

I tried first with breaker bar but it didn't want to move.

95 nM is the torque value NO Locktite

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

8 minutes ago, NeilW said:

There are 2 notches in the axle and a collar on the nut, you tap the collar into the notches with a screwdriver.
I have an electric torque wrench so i just tapped the collar out before loosening the nut and let the torque wrench work with the bike in first gear.
According to the manual you need to replace the nut every time but that's nonsense. When the collar doesn't crack it's just fine to reuse it.
Don't know the torque settings, just rattled it back on and tapped the collar into the notches.

• Thanks 1