Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

27 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Any issues getting the bolt loose? What is the torque setting? Loctite?  Thx

If you don't have an impact driver you could just remove the sprocket cover, ride it to your nearest tyre fitters outfit and ask 'em to give the nut a nudge for you.

Only takes a second or two.

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

Just now, Toppie said:

If you don't have an impact driver you could just remove the sprocket cover, ride it to your nearest tyre fitters outfit and ask 'em to give the nut a nudge for you.

I have a hand impact banger unit. It is 54 years old and I have used it 4x. Works every time. Oldie but goodie

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Toppie said:

Or put the bike in first gear plus a stick or plank through the spokes to block movement.
Then you just need some leverage.

• Like 1

Put in a 200km ride around town in the snow.  3°C, and the snow didn't amount to anything more than intermittent slush on the road, and lots of big puddles where it blocked drainage.  Excellent chance to test the Motoz GPS tires in the wet! 

20220419_110519.jpg.406d309d94d5ee2327ab9fd194f71bf4.jpg

Stupid forum always deciding to rotate portrait photos.  The snow buildup on the windscreen and handguards really showcases how great those OBR Grip Mitts are for keeping your hands warm and dry.  

I've heard complaints about Tractionator GPS tires in the rain.  Maybe they're using a new formulation now (such complaints tend to be a few years old), but even on streets covered with water and slush at just above freezing, the grip was excellent.  No hydroplaning even under emergency braking and it took a lot of effort to trigger ABS.  Tread depth made a mockery of the slush and eased water displacement.  I'm really interested to see how they perform in mud.

20220419_113019.jpg.b2cad67ee02fd5a582a71f75774bde50.jpg

And I know I've rambled on way too much here about it, but man.  With the tall rally seat and lowered pegs, it's a whole new world of comfort.  I've literally never been so comfortable on a motorcycle.  30 years of riding bikes with ergos designed for short people.  Good lord, it's amazing.  

I really want a helmet with a visor wiper, though.  Wiping off snow buildup ever 30 seconds gets old.  

Finally - Revit Sand 4 gear, Forma Adventure boots.  Even riding through 2" deep puddles, I'm totally dry.  Awesome.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Put in a 200km ride around town in the snow.  3°C, and the snow didn't amount to anything more than intermittent slush on the road, and lots of big puddles where it blocked drainage.  Excellent chance to test the Motoz GPS tires in the wet! 

Stupid forum always deciding to rotate portrait photos.  The snow buildup on the windscreen and handguards really showcases how great those OBR Grip Mitts are for keeping your hands warm and dry.  

I've heard complaints about Tractionator GPS tires in the rain.  Maybe they're using a new formulation now (such complaints tend to be a few years old), but even on streets covered with water and slush at just above freezing, the grip was excellent.  No hydroplaning even under emergency braking and it took a lot of effort to trigger ABS.  Tread depth made a mockery of the slush and eased water displacement.  I'm really interested to see how they perform in mud.

20220419_113019.jpg.b2cad67ee02fd5a582a71f75774bde50.jpg

And I know I've rambled on way too much here about it, but man.  With the tall rally seat and lowered pegs, it's a whole new world of comfort.  I've literally never been so comfortable on a motorcycle.  30 years of riding bikes with ergos designed for short people.  Good lord, it's amazing.  

52 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I really want a helmet with a visor wiper, though.  Wiping off snow buildup ever 30 seconds gets old.  

Finally - Revit Sand 4 gear, Forma Adventure boots.  Even riding through 2" deep puddles, I'm totally dry.  Awesome.

Talking about faceshield wiper, I am currently testing Raincoat by motosolutions. I have been testing it in the rain for a few weeks and it really works. It causes the rain drops and mist ( especially) to NOT stick, so you are at least looking though less drops. I like it. Here is a link to their distribution

In Canada, it appears it's only available at the link below; other distributors only have their antifog products.  Interesting, though I'm not sure it'd help vs. snow.  I wish they were available in smaller packs; $75CDN is a big buy in for 100 packets.  Definitely interested in your results!

RCPCH100.1-2_600x600_crop_center.jpg?v=1

New Raincoat® Pro is the ultimate hydrophobic coating for your plastic optics. Raincoat® Pro Paste is very quick to apply and dries instantly, even in humid conditions. It leaves a transparent coating on your plastic...

Bought another set of tires. An E07+ rear and a karoo 3 front. I signed up for an adventure bike class in Oklahoma in a couple months and wanted something new

20220419_194739.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Possibly drop a tooth on the rear to level it out a bit, mate.

I'm thinking the same 

I'm well pleased with the swap to a 16 up front but after checking figures on Gearing Commander I reckon a tooth down on the rear as well would suit my riding requirements just about spot on for this bike.

• Like 2

Nothing, it’s miles away but should be in this picture. I need a trailer.
Looking out towards @Toppie’s land. Just put the photo in to prove its not always wet riding in wales. 

E3E1036F-B98B-4D82-9987-2A5A5ED7D4EB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I tested the swap to 16T in front but i thought it was better to share my thoughts here:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Looking out towards @Toppie’s land. Just put the photo in to prove its not always wet riding in wales. 

I think you need a boat, not a trailer to get to Toppie's land.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Not always wet?  That looks like pretty wet sand and wet water to me 🙂

• Haha 1

I put a centre stand on my T7 a while back.

Since lowering the bike though, the geometry's altered so it's quite a heave to get it onto the stand.

Getting it off the stand though, is a tad more dramatic.

There's nothing much at all to get a hold on.
No passenger grab rail etc to steady the bike.

And...with the lowering work done, the rear wheel's quite a bit higher off the ground so the bike drops off the stand with quite a bump.

It's a tall machine and has almost fallen away from me on a couple of occasions.

It actually made me very apprehensive pushing it off its stand.

I had a couple of feet of bar left over from when I made my rack for the top box so...

...knocked up a bit of a grab rail.

Much better!

No more bum clenching pushing it from its stand now.

1913271866_Grabrail.thumb.JPG.fa7081ba3475f73e5a52d85935997468.JPG

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Toppie said:

I put a centre stand on my T7 a while back.

Since lowering the bike though, the geometry's altered so it's quite a heave to get it onto the stand.

Getting it off the stand though, is a tad more dramatic.

There's nothing much at all to get a hold on.
No passenger grab rail etc to steady the bike.

And...with the lowering work done, the rear wheel's quite a bit higher off the ground so the bike drops off the stand with quite a bump.

It's a tall machine and has almost fallen away from me on a couple of occasions.

It actually made me very apprehensive pushing it off its stand.

I had a couple of feet of bar left over from when I made my rack for the top box so...

...knocked up a bit of a grab rail.

Much better!

No more bum clenching pushing it from its stand now.

1913271866_Grabrail.thumb.JPG.fa7081ba3475f73e5a52d85935997468.JPG

I recently learned a trick, which could also work for you: Turn the handlebars right, and then push with both hands. The bike will lean over to you - so, if you are close enough, you can stabilise it with your body. See here at about 0:50

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I recently learned a trick, which could also work for you: Turn the handlebars right, and then push with both hands. The bike will lean over to you - so, if you are close enough, you can stabilise it with your body. See here at about 0:50

I weigh 195#  89kg. I have lowering links. It takes all my weight to get it up on the SW motech center stand. I just use my weight and it comes up. going off the center stand hasn't been an issue for me.

I rode it! Left this morning for west virginia for a long weekend of trout fishing. Over half of the 7hr ride down

20220420_101135.jpg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, frivoloushobby said:

I rode it! Left this morning for west virginia for a long weekend of trout fishing. Over half of the 7hr ride down

20220420_101135.jpg

Get some photos our way. It’s  on my list of places to go before I pop it. 

Took her out for a ride (my twisties technique leaves a lot to desire), bought a crampbuster clone. What an instant relieve. Having tall hands, it's so much more comfortable. Always had the feeling that the OEM grips are just too thin for my hands.

40 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Took her out for a ride (my twisties technique leaves a lot to desire), bought a crampbuster clone. What an instant relieve. Having tall hands, it's so much more comfortable. Always had the feeling that the OEM grips are just too thin for my hands.

What is a crampbuster clone? Real crampbuster is only $10. If we are talking about the plastic thing that you rest your palm on instead gripping the throttle, then just have in the back of your mind that if it ever gets caught in your jacket sleeve and gives you a FULL throttle,  pull in the clutch.  It has happened to me and people I have met. Not many but just remember- if you have a “what the heck is happening with my throttle “ moment- pull in the clutch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NeilW said:

What is a crampbuster clone? Real crampbuster is only $10. If we are talking about the plastic thing that you rest your palm on instead gripping the throttle, then just have in the back of your mind that if it ever gets caught in your jacket sleeve and gives you a FULL throttle,  pull in the clutch.  It has happened to me and people I have met. Not many but just remember- if you have a “what the heck is happening with my throttle “ moment- pull in the clutch. 

Thanks Neil, will have it in mind.

Mine costs 10€, and has no label. But it was available from my local shop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I have the same problem, and run Grip Puppies.  They're a foam liner to reduce vibration, but they also have the happy effect of making your grips bigger.  They work well over heated grips too; take a bit longer to warm up (but also to cool down) but get just as hot.  

There amazing.  Super comfortable, don't hold water, bigger grip = more relaxed hands, extra padding and vibration reduction(not necessary but I won't say no).

and like $20.  I've always got them on eBay, but they're readily available all over the place.

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for GRIP PUPPIES COVERS FITS OVER STANDARD GRIPS all Motorcycle Models at the best online prices at...

They last pretty well, but I tend to replace mine every 15,000-20,000kms.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today I finished my Hepco & Becker crash bars.  They refer to this as the Extreme model. It does not come with matching lowers.  It does provide a lot of protection as is, but I might try to configure a lower from another mfg. E1570902-1E76-4A94-8B10-6BFDE865D040.jpeg.dee82ba74b0ec8141573fc1e93d6226b.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tundratom said:

Today I finished my Hepco & Becker crash bars.  They refer to this as the Extreme model. It does not come with matching lowers.  It does provide a lot of protection as is, but I might try to configure a lower from another mfg. E1570902-1E76-4A94-8B10-6BFDE865D040.jpeg.dee82ba74b0ec8141573fc1e93d6226b.jpeg

I've got them, too. Have you painted the brackets white? Looks cool!