Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

40 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Picked it up at off-the-road.de

Ik ordered my MIVV Dakar there, is still about 2 weeks out and then they have to send it to me which will take another 2 to 4 days.
But it was way cheaper than the reseller here in the Netherlands and their site stated even a week more until shipping.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 9:25 AM, Marc462 said:

Nice GTS !!!

Thanks! Its for sale if you know anyone who's looking. Don't ride it nearly enough. Fully sorted, and clean. If you know anyone looking I can send details.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

23 hours ago, Camstyn said:

Accumulated some parts for trailside flat repairs done easy. The Eastbound stuff seems very high quality and I love how small it breaks down.

6561EF08-4254-4B10-89E9-3FF41880700B.jpeg

EFE148E5-C04A-4F06-AD35-027B62095AF4.jpeg

11DB9006-69B3-4263-96F8-12AE501F958C.jpeg

Anyone know a cheaper alternative to eastbound love the concept & design but postage kills it to Nz

Light materials and especially the ones that are also strong enough just are expensive.
Don't forget to add the engineering that goes in to breaking it down to small packing sizes.
I have some tools from them but not all and that's not because it's not worth it but i already have something to do the job and i try to add lightness but i'm also aware i'm not in a race where i need every tenth of a second.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Light materials and especially the ones that are also strong enough just are expensive.
Don't forget to add the engineering that goes in to breaking it down to small packing sizes.
I have some tools from them but not all and that's not because it's not worth it but i already have something to do the job and i try to add lightness but i'm also aware i'm not in a race where i need every tenth of a second.

That’s my thinking. Packing for a long trip is a lot of weight. Minimizing it makes for less luggage and more fun. If the piggybank allows, I try to maximize my experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Yes do understand just a thought as best I've seen so far 

With my slow-style riding 😁 i can do 400 km on one fueltank, leaving still 1-1.5 l  petrol left. But for coming trips some extra fuel can be handy. So i added a 2 liter fuel friend on the left side on the AS rack.

P1000219.JPG

• Like 6

On 4/14/2022 at 12:22 AM, Camstyn said:

Accumulated some parts for trailside flat repairs done easy. The Eastbound stuff seems very high quality and I love how small it breaks down.

6561EF08-4254-4B10-89E9-3FF41880700B.jpeg

EFE148E5-C04A-4F06-AD35-027B62095AF4.jpeg

11DB9006-69B3-4263-96F8-12AE501F958C.jpeg

Those tyre levers appear somewhat flimsy, they won't break when force is applied?

11 minutes ago, Chev. said:

Those tyre levers appear somewhat flimsy, they won't break when force is applied?

I don't have them but they are really strong.
Personally i prefer the Bead Pro.

• Like 2

Finally installed the Giant Loop Diablo tank bag.  IMHO, this tank bag fits the T7 perfect.  You can see in the pics, the base is cut out to go around the gas cap. Super easy access to fill up.  Simply unzip a little over 1/2 way and fold the tank bag out of the way.   The Fandango is  the same size everywhere but just 2 inches taller.   I went with the smaller of the 2.  The handlebars or controls never touch the tank bag at full lock either direction.   Giant loop direct has lots of parts on sale on their online store.  👍👍

diablo-tank-bag-black-2.jpg

Diablo Tank Bag waterproof tank bag for motorcycles dirt bikes dual sport adventure touring sport bike soft luggage snow bikes timbersled

6BAFE40B-ED80-4EB0-92DA-A941D1C5A315.jpeg

A4A2152F-38F2-4C49-AEDA-DE721B34E2B0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

Finally installed the Giant Loop Diablo tank bag.  IMHO, this tank bag fits the T7 perfect.  You can see in the pics, the base is cut out to go around the gas cap. Super easy access to fill up.  Simply unzip a little over 1/2 way and fold the tank bag out of the way.   The Fandango is  the same size everywhere but just 2 inches taller.   I went with the smaller of the 2.  The handlebars or controls never touch the tank bag at full lock either direction.   Giant loop direct has lots of parts on sale on their online store.  👍👍

Diablo Tank Bag waterproof tank bag for motorcycles dirt bikes dual sport adventure touring sport bike soft luggage snow bikes timbersled

I agree. The bigger fandango is also a a perfect fit. Remember that you can fit it as a tail bag too. The straps are long enough. 

• Thanks 1

A cheap bone dry luggage option:

A few weeks ago I bought a rear-seat-over-rack for my bike.

I dont do pillion's these days and I thought I'd like to keep my travelling stuff a bit 'centralised'.

It's an AliExpress job.  €84 with taxes and import stuff.

But it didn't fit.

They said 'you can send it back for a full refund'  but....postage down to me.

Whaa...???  That'd be €40 +

It's model specific and the fixing holes are way out. It's faulty!

Asked AliExpress to mediate.

They asked me what I'd like to do.
Send it back FOC for full refund or....?

I replied,  I'll take it for half price or the vendor pays my postage cost back to them.

Deal!

I got it for €42 and with a bit of vice work and a file...I made it fit.

1.thumb.JPG.1a5cf813f7a722a7e2e767f744163339.JPG

I'm not a fan of big auld top-boxes.  Just need summat big enough to host a flask, a bit of padkos, a camera and a couple of tools. Odds 'n ends 'n stuff really.
So I bought a Lomo Water Sports Dry box to utilise as a tough top-box...

2.thumb.JPG.98229bff212cd8defaae7d8561102fb0.JPG

It was grand. Did what I wanted perfectly.
Not pretty but,  I'm OK with that.

3.jpg.d3e2803d80551c2fdfed56a9f0a87378.jpg

I had it bolted directly on though and sometimes there'd be times I'd prefer it off.
Like, if you're on a bit of a trip and were staying overnight somewhere.

So...
Today I made a simple sort of 'quick-release' set up...4.thumb.JPG.0e38d16c98bf3909a8e306ee344dfa81.JPG

Cut some slots to accommodate flat-head bolts fixed to the base of the box...

5.thumb.JPG.cdcafe8c5ad35dea40e0ac190721436a.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.4cfdbd01ee1269c3bd119007b1b5f3aa.JPG

I have it locked with an 8mm retaining bolt that's only accessible from the inside of the box.

Then...I got to thinking about my wet gear.
It's Oxford stuff.
Good but bulky.
It would take up over half of the box's storage space.

So, I thought a wee rack on the top of the box would hold one of my crash bar water tight roll bags very nicely.
I knocked up one for.....wait for this...€3   
Pensioners rates at http://www.mauricemoffettltd.com/  for my materials.

Grand folks to deal with...

7.thumb.JPG.5a01eb5d004a260a16fbd728e579eb4b.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.ead3d0c96f22661691779371bf61ebff.JPG

It worked out really well.

9.thumb.JPG.ab29f351a073c447c4db142c3642e568.JPG

I can remove the whole assembly in about 30 seconds to take into a B&B etc without unpacking.

10.thumb.JPG.49b1f8a46d3fecb7ab7e8dfc308d7708.JPG

Got myself a 32 litre Oxford role-top Holdall as well.

This'll do me for up to a week away.
I'll use my Lomo 20 Litre Roll Bag for long weekends.

11.thumb.JPG.cf41779a0ce843a5d6add73adf231890.JPG

My excursions from now on will be no longer than a week or so.
I can get along nicely with this cost effective set-up and...it's all bone dry.
No liners required.
I had a nice day's jobbing about.
What a good do!

• Like 4

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

1 hour ago, Toppie said:

I looked at that rack also to strap my Reckless 80 to but my main issue was that when you blow a fuse or you need to jump-start him for whatever reason you don't need just the key of the bike but also an Allen key and i don't like to need tools to get to a fusebox.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I looked at that rack also to strap my Reckless 80 to but my main issue was that when you blow a fuse or you need to jump-start him for whatever reason you don't need just the key of the bike but also an Allen key and i don't like to need tools to get to a fusebox.

Yes....it's a bit more of a fiddle but, not much at all really...

I only need to release the 2 rear Allen screws on the rack and it hinges up to allow the rear seat to come off.

I've done the front seat hack thing as well so that comes away without the need for an Allen key as well.

• Like 2

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

5 minutes ago, Toppie said:

I've done the front seat hack thing as well

That was one of the first things i did too, what a stupid idea how Yamaha did it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

That was one of the first things i did too, what a stupid idea how Yamaha did it.

That's another reason to consider the rally seat. Plus, its tool compartment is bigger than the OEM seat's.

4 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

That's another reason to consider the rally seat. Plus, its tool compartment is bigger than the OEM seat's.

My tools won't fit anyway. I carry a Mosko Moto Fatty toolrol plus a compressor (from Eastbound you could see here on the forum often).
I also don't want items like that under the seat, that is a nice place for street riders with hard cases and no other luggage on the seat. I always ride with the Reckless 40 to take my lunch and/or something i pick up from the post office or shop in one side and have the tools in the other side plus a first aid kit under the beaver tail.
For bigger trips i have the Reckless 80 with an aux pox reserved for the tools so i never have to take off my luggage to get to the tools when i have a flat or other problem not involving a fuse.
I really wished they placed the fusebox in a manor you could reach without taking the seat of too, like via the side cover with an easy access opening (hmzzz... let's look into that if i find some time...)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redneckj said:

The current design with this U-shaped base-to-bag zipper is far superior to GL's earlier model. Those had a separate zipper on each side, and mine was frustratingly difficult to get reattached at every fuel stop. Great, well made tankbag.

Made a small but significant change to mine. When I bought my T7 used in May of last year, it had an aftermarket anti-glare film on the instrument pod screen as installed by the P.O.

The edge of the film had lifted at a few places, making the whole thing look not so good. Then I started thinking how none of my other bikes have had such a film and neither glare nor scratches were ever a problem. I peeled off the film and wow! It's amazing how clear and sharp the display is now vs the dullness of before, and the film has gone into the trash. My GPS screen sometimes has glare, but no such problems with the T7's display.

If you're considering one of these anti-glare films, I suggest saving your time and money. 

20210522_143728.jpg.1551f643de687d89834d0ae12103b9e6.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

My tools won't fit anyway. I carry a Mosko Moto Fatty toolrol plus a compressor (from Eastbound you could see here on the forum often).
I also don't want items like that under the seat, that is a nice place for street riders with hard cases and no other luggage on the seat. I always ride with the Reckless 40 to take my lunch and/or something i pick up from the post office or shop in one side and have the tools in the other side plus a first aid kit under the beaver tail.
For bigger trips i have the Reckless 80 with an aux pox reserved for the tools so i never have to take off my luggage to get to the tools when i have a flat or other problem not involving a fuse.
I really wished they placed the fusebox in a manor you could reach without taking the seat of too, like via the side cover with an easy access opening (hmzzz... let's look into that if i find some time...)

I currently have the OEM toy kit (no typo), a cheap reflective vest and a small first aid kit underneath it. Rarely needed items (hopefully), but quickly accessible. Plus, I won't forget to move them from one bag setup to another one.

I think in the future I might put some spares there.

4 hours ago, Toppie said:

A cheap bone dry luggage option:

I dont do pillion's these days and I thought I'd like to keep my travelling stuff a bit 'centralised'.

It's an AliExpress job.  €84 with taxes and import stuff.

But it didn't fit.

They said 'you can send it back for a full refund'  but....postage down to me.

Whaa...???  That'd be €40 +

It's model specific and the fixing holes are way out. It's faulty!

Asked AliExpress to mediate.

They asked me what I'd like to do.
Send it back FOC for full refund or....?

I replied,  I'll take it for half price or the vendor pays my postage cost back to them.

Deal!

I got it for €42 and with a bit of vice work and a file...I made it fit.

1.thumb.JPG.1a5cf813f7a722a7e2e767f744163339.JPG

I'm not a fan of big auld top-boxes.  Just need summat big enough to host a flask, a bit of padkos, a camera and a couple of tools. Odds 'n ends 'n stuff really.
So I bought a Lomo Water Sports Dry box to utilise as a tough top-box...

2.thumb.JPG.98229bff212cd8defaae7d8561102fb0.JPG

It was grand. Did what I wanted perfectly.
Not pretty but,  I'm OK with that.

3.jpg.d3e2803d80551c2fdfed56a9f0a87378.jpg

I had it bolted directly on though and sometimes there'd be times I'd prefer it off.
Like, if you're on a bit of a trip and were staying overnight somewhere.

So...
Today I made a simple sort of 'quick-release' set up...4.thumb.JPG.0e38d16c98bf3909a8e306ee344dfa81.JPG

Cut some slots to accommodate flat-head bolts fixed to the base of the box...

5.thumb.JPG.cdcafe8c5ad35dea40e0ac190721436a.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.4cfdbd01ee1269c3bd119007b1b5f3aa.JPG

I have it locked with an 8mm retaining bolt that's only accessible from the inside of the box.

Then...I got to thinking about my wet gear.
It's Oxford stuff.
Good but bulky.
It would take up over half of the box's storage space.

So, I thought a wee rack on the top of the box would hold one of my crash bar water tight roll bags very nicely.
I knocked up one for.....wait for this...€3   
Pensioners rates at http://www.mauricemoffettltd.com/  for my materials.

Grand folks to deal with...

7.thumb.JPG.5a01eb5d004a260a16fbd728e579eb4b.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.ead3d0c96f22661691779371bf61ebff.JPG

It worked out really well.

9.thumb.JPG.ab29f351a073c447c4db142c3642e568.JPG

I can remove the whole assembly in about 30 seconds to take into a B&B etc without unpacking.

10.thumb.JPG.49b1f8a46d3fecb7ab7e8dfc308d7708.JPG

Got myself a 32 litre Oxford role-top Holdall as well.

This'll do me for up to a week away.
I'll use my Lomo 20 Litre Roll Bag for long weekends.

11.thumb.JPG.cf41779a0ce843a5d6add73adf231890.JPG

My excursions from now on will be no longer than a week or so.
I can get along nicely with this cost effective set-up and...it's all bone dry.
No liners required.
I had a nice day's jobbing about.
What a good do!

Beautiful job indeed.  That's a one of a kind special.  I like how the quick release is designed and how it works.  Great idea.  I have no less than 4 of the Pelican boxes but they seemed large for this application.  What are the dimensions of the box you are using?  

Thanks for the report @ToppieI appreciate that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m looking for a rear rack for mine in case I do a weekend away 

obviously this is one to avoid 

ta

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

I’m looking for a rear rack for mine in case I do a weekend away 

obviously this is one to avoid 

ta

Sounds like you're not a regular camper.
When you just rarely use it and you have some kind of drybag tailbag you just can put in on the pillion seat and use the knobs for strapping it on the back.
On my first VFR (a VTEC) i always did it that way without a rack and on my Crosstourer i didn't use the rack either because i like the weight as much forward as possible and not create a counterweight.
I have a motorcycle, not a forklift.

• Like 2