Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What have you done for your T7 today?

Noel McCutcheon

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

All fine, just the handlebar... again.
Maybe tomorrow a bit sore but nothing serious and the beers came late on and still flowing.
Was about 80 - 90km/h and the corner was a bit sharper than expected with a height difference between the left and right track.

I was trying to do a 😞 and got a 👍instead. Sorry about the fall. Glad you are ok. I am not Sunday morning quarterbacking here but it looks like you had a runoff area. Sorry it didn’t work out. 

Not to the bike, but for me riding the bike.  Clearanced out the ear pockets in my ADV helmets for my Cardo speakers.  Hopefully no more folded ears, and I wear a headsock!.  Also ordered a Tab 7 8.0, case, Ram spring loaded Tab holder, and a ram ball.  My eyes can't read the dinky map print on my Kycera anymore, but will still use it on my dirtbikes.  BTW, I've used EAR foam earplugs for 40 years,  20 on the jet, 40 on the bike.  I've used all manner of rubber plugs, even custom molded ones, but they all still hurt after awhile as your ear has to mold to them whereas foam molds to your ears.

• Like 3
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

The “Christmas tree” ones are really soft silicone types, so comfort and safety wise, they’re fine, but I do still get that wind on one side as it jets around the left of the bike and right into the gap between my helmet and ear. I can cover it with my hand and it stops, so I’ve started using a head over. I’ll try that speaker system for definite though. I do like to travel with tunes. 👍🎸

• Like 2

Just tried my Cardo with my Loop ear plugs. Sounds not actually better, imho. But I think it depends on the tone presets: "Loud" is terrible without plugs, but surprisingly good with them.

"Bass" is a bit too mellow, probably for usage without plugs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

BTW, I've used EAR foam earplugs for 40 years,  20 on the jet, 40 on the bike.  I've used all manner of rubber plugs, even custom molded ones, but they all still hurt after awhile as your ear has to mold to them whereas foam molds to your ears.

Same here, EAR Classic Plus (a bit longer than the standard ones) foam roll-up ear plugs are the most effective and most comfortable hearing protection I've ever used during a career in aircraft maintenance (helicopters and turbine engines) and many decades of riding. Everyone is different, of course, and you have to find what works best for you - no different than seats and tires. I buy these by the box of 200 pair, which lasts me for about a year. They block wind noise, which then allows me to hear other, important sounds. 

Three times I've had custom molded earplugs made (twice at motorcycle shows and once by an audiologist), and I got my money back each time as they simply didn't work for me nearly as well as the EAR foam items. Same with many reusable ear plugs that claimed to be "the best" for motorcycling.

If you don't wear any ear protection while riding, consider doing so to protect your long-term hearing. Hearing loss and tinnitus is not fun. 

3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ Plus Earplugs 310-1101, Uncorded, Pillow Pack | 3M United States  

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 2

Something went wrong here, my last post went missing?
I ordered the Renthal Fatbar 831 in orange.
Had the OEM that the precious owner bent raplaced under warranty for a black rally version but i bent that one yesterday so done with the OEM.
Not planning on crashing again but most certain will anyway.

• Like 4

I dropped her 😪

In my shed. Onto the exhaust side.

At least nobody saw it.

Was about to get her onto the center stand, was tired, wasn't focussed - bang.

It looks like she only got two tiny scratches on the rear plastics (hit my wife's bicycle) and on the left handguard.

Crash bar has no scratches, probably didn't take the impact.

Mirror flipped but not broken or bent, I think.

Man, I was shocked. Lifting her up wasn't especially easy, but doable.

Positive things: Acerbis X-Factors and HP Corse high exhaust have already paid off!!!

Negative: Feel like a total idiot.

Will check everything again tomorrow, hoping nothing's bent, broken or whatever.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Bummer but i guess the scratches on the handguard are not as bad as on mine last Saturday.
On the other hand i might feel worse with a drop like that without damage than with little damage in e real drop riding like where the bike is made for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Bummer but i guess the scratches on the handguard are not as bad as on mine last Saturday.
On the other hand i might feel worse with a drop like that without damage than with little damage in e real drop riding like where the bike is made for.

I have dropped mine 9x on trails, 1x on the side of the highway and 1 time on purpose on my grass to check the SW Motech protection. The on purpose lift was by far the "heaviest".

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:51 PM, BADDANDY said:

Not to the bike, but for me riding the bike.  Clearanced out the ear pockets in my ADV helmets for my Cardo speakers.  Hopefully no more folded ears, and I wear a headsock!.  Also ordered a Tab 7 8.0, case, Ram spring loaded Tab holder, and a ram ball.  My eyes can't read the dinky map print on my Kycera anymore, but will still use it on my dirtbikes.  BTW, I've used EAR foam earplugs for 40 years,  20 on the jet, 40 on the bike.  I've used all manner of rubber plugs, even custom molded ones, but they all still hurt after awhile as your ear has to mold to them whereas foam molds to your ears.

About Headsocks. Klim sent me their headsock or Neck Gator to review. I had no idea what to do with it so I just wore it a lot and then the value showed up. Now I always ride with it. Here is my review of the lowly headsock. 

klim-tek-sock-review-neck-gaiter-motorcy

Klim Tek Sok Review: Editor at Large Neil Wyenn is at it again, and this time he finds four uses for a simple motorcycle apparel piece.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I dropped her 😪

In my shed. Onto the exhaust side.

At least nobody saw it.

Was about to get her onto the center stand, was tired, wasn't focussed - bang.

It looks like she only got two tiny scratches on the rear plastics (hit my wife's bicycle) and on the left handguard.

Crash bar has no scratches, probably didn't take the impact.

Mirror flipped but not broken or bent, I think.

Man, I was shocked. Lifting her up wasn't especially easy, but doable.

Positive things: Acerbis X-Factors and HP Corse high exhaust have already paid off!!!

Negative: Feel like a total idiot.

Will check everything again tomorrow, hoping nothing's bent, broken or whatever.

She's a bit to lift, eh?  It's doable, really, but the biggest problem is if you don't have a suitable rear rack or handles, there's not really a good grab point on the rear of the bike.  If you get some handles, though, it's a lot easier to lift up.  

Upside is, she's made for this.  Tough bike.  Mines gone down six times now (5 my fault, once with someone else) and has no marks on the bike itself other than badly scratched handguards which I still need to replace with good barkbusters anyways... Most of those times being pretty substantial impacts as well.  

These, though?  They're the worst.  Just feels bad.  At least it wasn't in public!

• Like 2

if you fall and dont have visual damage [besides small drops]. i worry if there is nothing bent or broken on the inside you dont see straight away.

my handguards arent stock any longer. not that thy ware good for anything, exept wind.

had to replace some plastic's  but further nothing with the beast. 

o yea.. handlebar is replaced as it was bend. [also bend a metal part in the cockpit]

cheap to replace.

what i hold in my hand is a linkage from my crash bars to the cockpit [where your speedo cable runs trough]

and yes it did hurt seeing my bike ending in a ditch.. at high speed as well.  but that is the full extend of the damage.

IMG_20211028_221730.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 5/1/2022 at 4:07 AM, jdub53 said:

Same here, EAR Classic Plus (a bit longer than the standard ones) foam roll-up ear plugs are the most effective and most comfortable hearing protection I've ever used during a career in aircraft maintenance (helicopters and turbine engines) and many decades of riding. Everyone is different, of course, and you have to find what works best for you - no different than seats and tires. I buy these by the box of 200 pair, which lasts me for about a year. They block wind noise, which then allows me to hear other, important sounds. 

Three times I've had custom molded earplugs made (twice at motorcycle shows and once by an audiologist), and I got my money back each time as they simply didn't work for me nearly as well as the EAR foam items. Same with many reusable ear plugs that claimed to be "the best" for motorcycling.

If you don't wear any ear protection while riding, consider doing so to protect your long-term hearing. Hearing loss and tinnitus is not fun. 

3M™ E-A-R™ Classic™ Plus Earplugs 310-1101, Uncorded, Pillow Pack | 3M United States  

Huh? Did you say something? 😉 Actually I subscribe to your theory that every rider should use some sort of hearing protection.  25 years of flying helicopters has me suffering with constant tinnitus.   I started using EAR foam ear plugs, sadly after most of my hearing damage had already been done as headsets just didn't provide enough attenuation.  Stay ahead of this problem,  plug those ears!

• Like 5

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I ordered an aluminum crash bars from Adventure spec. It arrives today. I'll replace for steel ones from Motea that are mounted on engine holes. I don't crash my T7 yet but I will. You know most easy thing to do on a motorcicle it's fall down it.

The problem is I'm very busy lately. I can't install it or ride a motorcycle for another 11 or 12 days. 😒

• Like 1

NOT today, but over the past 4 winter months.

I have replaced the LED display with a Colorclusterz Blue film.

Installed CamelADV sidestand spring (don't get your finger caught), Auxiliary Tank.

Replaced the OEM seat with a Sargent (I use one on my '16 BMW RT it allows me to sit for longer stretches)

And last weekend I installed front /rear Motoz Tractionator GPS tires...managed to get the OEM rear Off using Bead breaker spoons, but that was it...took the front & rear to a friends & used his No-Mar system to remove the front & install both, so much easier.

Also add a 3 way switch to control my driving light (10%, Off, 100%)

Now let the riding begin. 🏍

• Like 2

Brought home my new 2022 in Raven black. Will use the 500-mile engine break-in period to assess ergonomics and begin a build plan for lighter weight components and other enhancements. 

TexasT7 - 1.jpeg

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, T7Texan said:

Brought home my new 2022 in Raven black. Will use the 500-mile engine break-in period to assess ergonomics and begin a build plan for lighter weight components and other enhancements. 

TexasT7 - 1.jpeg

Congratulations! The '22 black ones look great.

• Like 2

Did the "lowering" mod on my PivotPegz today - takes it down 10mm and rearward 3mm  - perfect!

Thank you Pivot Pegz for a great product and clear instructions. This mod achieved the following things for me:

1) The lower peg opened up the bend in my knee a little, a little more comfortable on longer rides

2) It created a little more space under the gear shift, which wasn't a big issue, but it is a small improvement for the big boots we wear

3) It brings the brake pedal up a little higher, and that was an adjustment I did need,  when standing up

4) It brought the bars a little higher, without robbing me of cockpit "stretch" - that 10mm is just the little bit     that I was looking for, and I did not want to add risers

5) And lastly (huge tongue-in-cheek) by lowering my centre of gravity my cornering speed just SHOT up!

All in all a worthwhile 30mins spent. These were all under consideration when I went for the Pivots, but I wanted to ride them stock first. I also now know how to service them when the time comes - Pivot Pegz included a Service Kit when I purchased the Pegz.

I can recommend the Pegz, and I can recommend the mod if the reasons above apply to you.

• Like 3

Fitted some bling.  Pretty sure the horsepower gain will impress...

275886561_400160505065942_4529113300602185401_n.jpg

277896070_976717353203930_2214610471204468331_n.jpg

279318663_703493544109232_1048433793278179610_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, banditrider said:

Fitted some bling.  Pretty sure the horsepower gain will impress...

275886561_400160505065942_4529113300602185401_n.jpg

Just be careful with these alloy valve caps.  They can corrode inside and seize onto the valve stem.
Can be the devils own job to get 'em off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Riding faster than everyone else only guarantees you'll ride alone.....        

Picked my new handlebar up at the parcel pick-up point and when i got home another package was delivered at the neighbours.
Yesterday i checked for the tyres i ordered and they where in Poland on the way to the Netherlands but the package at the neighbour was the rear tyre???
IMG_20220504_164654.jpg.f2cce7e4abe5f7d4d27377fae24ad02e.jpgIMG_20220504_172034.jpg.bc41e090d510871dab54f3d6c87207d5.jpg

The front tyre was the one in Poland and is now in Germany so it should be in this weekend and then i can fix my problems.
Held the handlebar alongside the black one fitted and this orange will be looking epic.
Tomorrow the last ride with the Anakee Wild slick, Friday i'll take the CT.

• Like 1

Ordered a set of Leo Vince headers. Looking forward to dropping a few pounds and picking up a few ponies. I'm thinking next mod will need to be a reflash because while I don't think the bike is underpowered, I would like some more get up and go. 

• Like 2

Instagram @black_dog_moto

YouTube @ Black Dog Moto

18 hours ago, thepointchris said:

2) It created a little more space under the gear shift, which wasn't a big issue, but it is a small improvement for the big boots we wear

3) It brings the brake pedal up a little higher, and that was an adjustment I did need,  when standing up

4) It brought the bars a little higher, without robbing me of cockpit "stretch" - that 10mm is just the little bit     that I was looking for, and I did not want to add risers

All in all a worthwhile 30mins spent. These were all under consideration when I went for the Pivots, but I wanted to ride them stock first. I also now know how to service them when the time comes - Pivot Pegz included a Service Kit when I purchased the Pegz.

I can recommend the Pegz, and I can recommend the mod if the reasons above apply to you.

Regarding #2 and #3 above, you can definitely adjust both pedals far enough for 10mm - I've got mine adjusted to account for my -30mm Bosley pegs.  But if you're happy with where they are, that's awesome too.  Just wanted to point out that they're very adjustable, with the caveat that there's a small "nub" on the inside of the shifter side pedal mount plate (big silver aluminum chunk) that needs to be filed off to get a lot more shifter room.

#4 is huge, and has far reaching impacts.  I had my bars on 30mm risers, which really helped while standing, but when I got my lowered pegs and raised seat on it was a whole new world.  +30mm from risers, +30mm from the lowered footpegs brings the bars up 60mm or roughly 2 1/2" while standing, but when sitting?  The raised seat counters the bar risers (by raising my torso) so I ended up with +60mm bars while standing compared to stock, and roughly level bars while seating compared to stock.  

Lowered pegs are awesome.  Pivot pegs are really cool, too.  If I could have got them in a -30mm setup, I'd have been all over them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Picked my new handlebar up at the parcel pick-up point and when i got home another package was delivered at the neighbours.
Yesterday i checked for the tyres i ordered and they where in Poland on the way to the Netherlands but the package at the neighbour was the rear tyre???
IMG_20220504_164654.jpg.f2cce7e4abe5f7d4d27377fae24ad02e.jpgIMG_20220504_172034.jpg.bc41e090d510871dab54f3d6c87207d5.jpg

The front tyre was the one in Poland and is now in Germany so it should be in this weekend and then i can fix my problems.
Held the handlebar alongside the black one fitted and this orange will be looking epic.
Tomorrow the last ride with the Anakee Wild slick, Friday i'll take the CT.

Do you balance your new tires?

2 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Do you balance your new tires?

Yes.