Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis bigger tank 23lt

365moto.eu

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is what the US Acerbis rep has to say to my inquiry:

Rich,

From what I understand, Acerbis Italy does not plan on offering a tank for that application.  I am sorry we do not have what you are looking for, but let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Thanks,

Adam Quarles
ACERBIS USA Customer Service Manager
SHIP: 110 Lindsay Circle Ste 1A Ketchum, ID 83340
MAIL: PO BOX 2030 Sun Valley, ID 83353

OFFICE: (800) 659-1440
www.acerbisusa.com

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

has anyone been able to order/recieve from Safari?    (sniff sniff?  smells of vapor-ware to me)

so far?  RotoPax or the CamelADV is all I've seen that's "real"

and yes,  I also want a wee bit bigger tank.

Just heard back again:

Rich,

I just heard back from my contact at Acerbis Italy.  It looks like we are going to do a 5.8 gal tank in black for the Tenere 700:19-21.

Part #2911470001

No confirmed eta at the moment.  September or so, best case if I were to guess.

Thanks,

Adam Quarles

• Like 5

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

He contacted the mothership after looking at the photo in this thread and that was the response he got.

Does anyone know how heavy the stock tank is without any fuel? And approx how heavy the acerbis/safari is with its plastic material? Wondering how much weight one could save as well as more fuel capacity.

Edited by JayD

On 5/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, JayD said:

Does anyone know how heavy the stock tank is without any fuel? And approx how heavy the acerbis/safari is with its plastic material? Wondering how much weight one could save as well as more fuel capacity.

It's in the first post.  But not everything you asked for...enough to figure it out though.

23L vs 16L

6gal ( was noted 5.8 gal further down will actually be 5.8) but we'll keep 23 for worst case vs 4.2gal

gas is ~6lbs/gal

new tank holds 1.8 gal more gas

new tank increases fuel weight by 10.8lbs

New tank is 1.5kg (3.3lbs) lighter than stock.

New Tank and Fuel is 7.5 lbs heavier overall.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@GoldentacoThanks a lot!

I was hoping for more weight savings going from metal to plastic, but all in all its a nice kit!

Edit: I dont know how I could miss the information I asked for, sorry..

Edited by JayD

Safari has a 25ltr tank available. 

Safari Tanks supply long range motorcycle fuel tanks for many makes of bikes, including BMW, Husaberg, Kawasaki, Yamaha and more

Same top heavy idea as safari... Why like this... 🤔 Can Kapriony Team send some sketches to Safari and Acerbis, we can wait for updated version.. 🤩

FB_IMG_1622187024506.thumb.jpg.50f686540e15b2fa2b02cd9640a28b0e.jpg

• Like 6

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

12 hours ago, łorsoł said:

Same top heavy idea as safari... Why like this... 🤔 Can Kapriony Team send some sketches to Safari and Acerbis, we can wait for updated version.. 🤩

FB_IMG_1622187024506.thumb.jpg.50f686540e15b2fa2b02cd9640a28b0e.jpg

7.5 pounds isn't that much. Some people carry that much in tank bags.

15 hours ago, Louis said:

Safari has a 25ltr tank available. 

Safari Tanks supply long range motorcycle fuel tanks for many makes of bikes, including BMW, Husaberg, Kawasaki, Yamaha and more

Louis, do you know the weight of the Safari tank and if it saves some weight? Also if you put in 16 litres, would the COG be lower than the standard tank? These are important points that I cant find any info on.

Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

7.5 pounds isn't that much. Some people carry that much in tank bags.

SOOO much this.  I keep hear people squabble about weight this or weight that but I don't think most people stop to think about the numbers and what that actually translates to.  I know my tank bag is probably 3-5lbs.  I'll weigh it tomorrow before my trip.  

The other thing is you're not Always riding around with the tank full of fuel. It's rare that the first 50 miles would mean riding from the pump then immediately jumping on to a sand wash.  IF you don't want that extra weight All the time, don't fill it up.  

I could go on but most of the weight shaving concerns just leave me shaking my head.  It's already 460lbs naked.  If 7.5lbs is too much you've got Way bigger issues to sort out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

@TimeMachinesorry no idea, only know what's on the website. 

2 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

The other thing is you're not Always riding around with the tank full of fuel. It's rare that the first 50 miles would mean riding from the pump then immediately jumping on to a sand wash.  IF you don't want that extra weight All the time, don't fill it up.

I agree with Goldentaco, for  me travelling and exploring vast distances with few fuel top up opportunities is the biggest factor, for me requiring an extended fuel range. Wondering what is down this remote back road is not limited by low fuel. 

I wonder if this new tank will be able to support the Camel ADV auxiliary tank. My T7 is ready for pickup next week and I have already received the Camel tank. Would be amazing I could use it in addition to the Camel tank. That would be some crazy long range!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis said:

@TimeMachinesorry no idea, only know what's on the website. 

I agree with Goldentaco, for  me travelling and exploring vast distances with few fuel top up opportunities is the biggest factor, for me requiring an extended fuel range. Wondering what is down this remote back road is not limited by low fuel. 

No worries, thanks Louis. I'll hit them up and share if I hear back.

27 minutes ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I wonder if this new tank will be able to support the Camel ADV auxiliary tank. My T7 is ready for pickup next week and I have already received the Camel tank. Would be amazing I could use it in addition to the Camel tank. That would be some crazy long range!

It would be a good question to ask Cory over on his thread for the Camel Tank. 

1) My initial thought would be it may be difficult to get the fuel to pull up that high.  I'm guessing but it looks 3-5" higher than where the stock tank vent connection is.  On the Safari or Acerbis, the vent connection is on the top of the gas cap. Maybe that is a non-issue.

2) Unless you have a dedicated swivel connection, making that connection 100% air tight is tricky.  On my IMS on the WR250R, the hose is attached but is loose enough to spin for fuel cap removal.  Doesn't need to be air tight as it's just a vent.  Camel tank needs air tight or you get transfer issues.

3) Acerbis, IMS, Safari gas caps have a tiny nipple to attach to so not easy or even possible to get that secured with a hose clamp...maybe one of those spring type hose clamp.   I've seen people modify that and thread in a swivel 90deg fitting so tank bag and access is easier.  

J

1 hour ago, TeabagInsurance said:

I thought about that as well over ADVrider...guess the folks there weren't too amused with that.

but if my math is correct, with ~45US MPG, that is a whopping 350+ miles range until it is in theory dry...

lol...does this make it a SUPER tenere then 😛

2 hours ago, Hogan said:

To me that is asinine. What is the point of buying a larger tank if you are not even going to use it? For the 1 in 1000 trips that require the extra range?

I like to apply the common sense test to things.

If I were to talk to someone that knew at total sum of -42 about motorcycles, and I told them that I just upgraded a 16L tank to a 23L tank, but that I would only fill it to <= 16 litres for handing reasons, then what would that person say?

Seat looks cool and painful. 

I agree with the tank filling. 

For every main tank I’ve replaced with larger versions I have already made the decision that I’m ok with the weight penalty/non issue. I fill them full each time. 

With my Camel Tank I have a choice to fill main or both. I’ve already made the weight calculation but since I have to fill two tanks I can chose how much to use. 

Different approach. I’d have preferred either of the main tanks tbh. I’ve found the bike handles better with my knobbies with more weight on the front. I wouldn’t have had to futz with my rear racks to get it sorted. 

GP Muccis tank is interesting but I doubt it’ll come to market. It will be way to expensive and you’ll have all the same weight concerns. Shet, the Aurora Rally kit is just plastics and stiffer dash mount and it’s over 2grand. 

J

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, TeabagInsurance said:

10 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

It would be a good question to ask Cory over on his thread for the Camel Tank. 

1) My initial thought would be it may be difficult to get the fuel to pull up that high.  I'm guessing but it looks 3-5" higher than where the stock tank vent connection is.  On the Safari or Acerbis, the vent connection is on the top of the gas cap. Maybe that is a non-issue.

2) Unless you have a dedicated swivel connection, making that connection 100% air tight is tricky.  On my IMS on the WR250R, the hose is attached but is loose enough to spin for fuel cap removal.  Doesn't need to be air tight as it's just a vent.  Camel tank needs air tight or you get transfer issues.

3) Acerbis, IMS, Safari gas caps have a tiny nipple to attach to so not easy or even possible to get that secured with a hose clamp...maybe one of those spring type hose clamp.   I've seen people modify that and thread in a swivel 90deg fitting so tank bag and access is easier.  

J

1) The higher tank position will not be an issue at all for siphon. We've tested it in the past and pulled fuel up over 48". Obviously, the less rise the better for reliable transfer but 3-5" will be just fine.

2&3) A swivel connection would definitely be great idea. However, our kit for the WR250R just uses a 90° hose secured with a spring clamp onto the 1/4" nipple on the main tank fuel cap. It works reliably. 

The most rock-solid option is to drill the top of the main tank and install an NPT - 90° barb fitting. You plug the Camel Tank into that and then seal the nipple one the top of the main tank. No leaking nipples or swivel attachments. Lots of our WR250R and CRF250L Camel Tank customers with larger aftermarket main tanks go this route. Some people are understandably uninterested in drilling a hole in the main tank though.

Unless the new main tank manufacturers are expecting everyone to delete the charcoal canisters from their T7s, the new tanks will have and have a vent port for the canister. That maybe a swivel on the cap or (like the OEM T7 tank), have a vent barb on the bottom of the tank that attaches to a straw that goes to the top tank (internally) to act as the vent. Regardless, it will be possible to plumb a Camel Tank into a larger aftermarket main tank.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com