Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Wind & Noise Management

prowlnS10

Was thinking of doing a similar idea of  covering the gap left when the windshield is adjusted up. 

• Like 1

I've done this process also without success.

Very pleased to see you had some success. I'll be following your lead and give it a try.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Saw this thread and started wondering? 

Last 4 bikes I’ve owned had shields from Madstad engineering. Gave  them a call just now,retired, what else do I have to do for fun? 

Sorry, they have  not got A T7 in to work with. 

If you live near by give them a call. (To damn hot to ride anyway!)

I am running a givi sport screen with motopump risers on it now. It works good 😊 till I jump on The GSA with the Madstad. 

With it ear plugs are optional.

They are in Brooksville.

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 1

Just updated the info...see the last paragraph 🙂

Wow… that was A LOT of info!

I’m 6’ tall also with a longer torso, standard OEM seat. Short PowerBronze screen went on after one month  of ownership.  One year later, couldn’t be happier. Nice clean air, no buffeting, nice and simple! 

I've also just found an add-on spoiler to be the noise/buffeting solution on my T7.

I'm 5' 8" tall with a 32" inseam, so have a short torso. While not excessive, the noise and buffeting from the T7's OEM windscreen has bothered me mostly because my frame of reference is my R1200GS on which I experience a quiet, smooth ride (with VStream's short screen). My T7 came with both the OEM screen and a Powerbronze short sport screen. I found the Powerbronze a bit smoother, but no quieter than the OEM unit.

I wear well fitting ear plugs when riding each bike and hearing aids when off of them. Very sensitive to elevated noise levels. 

Several months before buying my T7, I bought an inexpensive (~ $25) windscreen spoiler through Amazon for the GS just for giggles because so many people were talking about them.  The spoiler made a definite difference, and now I pop it onto the GS for longer rides involving highways (takes seconds to slip on and secure once I had the best set-up figured out).

20210605_115742.thumb.jpg.68ff4219d9fdce0c81d752276a703649.jpg  

I wondered how it would work on the T7, so I bought the same item and installed it this past weekend. After stopping once and making an adjustment to my initial setting, wow. Noise and buffeting are virtually gone, about 90% as quiet and smooth as the GS. During a T7 ride yesterday, I realized at one point that I hadn't even thought about noise or buffeting anymore, and to me that said it all. The best, most relaxing riding I've had since buying the T7.

This spoiler is staying on the T7 all the time, and I'm going to buy at least one spare spoiler to keep on the shelf in case either bike needs a replacement.

20210627_131411.thumb.jpg.0b2673c612917ebf920c8c755d4c67c6.jpg20210627_131432.thumb.jpg.172da98bc83e26d9e91bb0eb05b17615.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 5

@prowlnS10 - Thank you for sharing your doctoral thesis on the subject of rider air management. 

Seems that none of my past 5 bikes ended up wearing their original wind screens. They all ended up with slightly larger screens to try to stay within the sweet spot of dual sport compromise. For the T7, I've recently (before reading your dissertation) ordered the AltRider adjustable mount, but it's backordered so won't know for a while if it helps. I have an adjustable windscreen mount on my Super Ténéré and it helps. After playing with it for years, I've settled into one height/angle setting for highway and drop it all the way down for dirt work. Lots of adjustability, 2 actual settings.

For reference, I'm 6'0" tall / 34" inseam. I ante'd up for a Tall Comfort in the Seat Concepts group buy, so I figure I would need windscreen adjustability to get back to zero with a taller seat...when it comes.

While I don't have personal experience, my reading on the subject leads me to favor the laminar lip concept as the single best air flow adjustment method, but I can't get past the mounting brackets being in my sightline. Maybe you just get used to it and don't see them after a while but I'm the kind of guy who pulls off the highway to clean his visor for a bug splat, so not sure I could live with those mounting brackets. Speaking of bug splats, It always amazes me how many bug splats end up on the back side of the windscreen. Wind vortexes in action!

Your comments about airflow under the windscreen, especially when raised, are of particular interest to me since windscreen raising is my modification of choice. You describe an adjustable "laminar plate", which by your pictures, I take to be the black "cowl" forward of the instrument cluster. If this piece is indeed the adjustable "laminar plate", I would love to get more info about it. I can see how airflow tuneability in this area could affect buffeting/noise/temperature. Something like this, not in my sightline, would be a more acceptable and otherwise complimentary solution combined with windscreen height adjustment.

If possible, may you please follow up on this subset of airflow management.

Thank you,

Boondocker

12 minutes ago, MCGMB said:

@prowlnS10 can you provide your exact inseam for reference?

This is a wonderful analysis & write-up BTW !

33"  now added to the original post

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Boondocker said:

@prowlnS10 - Thank you for sharing your doctoral thesis on the subject of rider air management. 

Seems that none of my past 5 bikes ended up wearing their original wind screens. They all ended up with slightly larger screens to try to stay within the sweet spot of dual sport compromise. For the T7, I've recently (before reading your dissertation) ordered the AltRider adjustable mount, but it's backordered so won't know for a while if it helps. I have an adjustable windscreen mount on my Super Ténéré and it helps. After playing with it for years, I've settled into one height/angle setting for highway and drop it all the way down for dirt work. Lots of adjustability, 2 actual settings.

For reference, I'm 6'0" tall / 34" inseam. I ante'd up for a Tall Comfort in the Seat Concepts group buy, so I figure I would need windscreen adjustability to get back to zero with a taller seat...when it comes.

While I don't have personal experience, my reading on the subject leads me to favor the laminar lip concept as the single best air flow adjustment method, but I can't get past the mounting brackets being in my sightline. Maybe you just get used to it and don't see them after a while but I'm the kind of guy who pulls off the highway to clean his visor for a bug splat, so not sure I could live with those mounting brackets. Speaking of bug splats, It always amazes me how many bug splats end up on the back side of the windscreen. Wind vortexes in action!

Your comments about airflow under the windscreen, especially when raised, are of particular interest to me since windscreen raising is my modification of choice. You describe an adjustable "laminar plate", which by your pictures, I take to be the black "cowl" forward of the instrument cluster. If this piece is indeed the adjustable "laminar plate", I would love to get more info about it. I can see how airflow tuneability in this area could affect buffeting/noise/temperature. Something like this, not in my sightline, would be a more acceptable and otherwise complimentary solution combined with windscreen height adjustment.

If possible, may you please follow up on this subset of airflow management.

Thank you,

Boondocker

Boondocker:  The "adjustable" laminar flow plate would be the spoiler blade mounted near the top of the windscreen with the MRA X-Creen adjustable mounts...they allow height/position & angle changes.  The laminar flow plate mounted behind the windscreen to the mounting brackets is fixed, not adjustable...although the theory of it being adjustable would allow more tunability, but would be challenging to implement.  Because the oem windscreen mounting bracket & the windscreen are of similar angle any plate mounted to it will direct air up the inside of the windscreen...because the abs plastic I used was not curved I squeezed the top half inward before drilling the mounting holes forcing the top edge of the abs to bulge forward to more closely match the curvature of the windscreen...this helps to direct the air up the inside of the windscreen & allows more clearance at the accessory bar for GPS/Phone mounts.  The height/position/angle of the laminar flow plate is important...if too short, too far from it or angled away from it effectiveness drops off....if too tall it can impede rider sightlines (I used clear plexi on my BMW K1300GT, see pic)...I opted to size it to go to just under the accessory bar in an effort to balance function with aesthetics.  The size (w x h) of the opening at the bottom of the T7 windscreen is a limiting factor...that is why I speculate that by slightly increasing the height via adjustable brackets air flow can be increased to improve efficiency/effectiveness of air flow up the inside surface.

D7K_7319.JPG

Edited by prowlnS10

prowlnS10: Thanks for the follow-up on and explanation of the "laminar flow plate". Seems it will take some determined fiddling to dial it in.

I like to work with Kydex because I'm able to shape it. I made a surprisingly effective and cheap cowl/wind deflector for my DR650 from a plastic garbage can. But I'm sure there is hope for me yet.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, jdub53 said:

I've also just found an add-on spoiler to be the noise/buffeting solution on my T7.

I'm 5' 8" tall with a 32" inseam, so have a short torso. While not excessive, the noise and buffeting from the T7's OEM windscreen has bothered me mostly because my frame of reference is my R1200GS on which I experience a quiet, smooth ride (with VStream's short screen). My T7 came with both the OEM screen and a Powerbronze short sport screen. I found the Powerbronze a bit smoother, but no quieter than the OEM unit.

I wear well fitting ear plugs when riding each bike and hearing aids when off of them. Very sensitive to elevated noise levels. 

Several months before buying my T7, I bought an inexpensive (~ $25) windscreen spoiler through Amazon for the GS just for giggles because so many people were talking about them.  The spoiler made a definite difference, and now I pop it onto the GS for longer rides involving highways (takes seconds to slip on and secure once I had the best set-up figured out).

20210605_115742.thumb.jpg.68ff4219d9fdce0c81d752276a703649.jpg  

I wondered how it would work on the T7, so I bought the same item and installed it this past weekend. After stopping once and making an adjustment to my initial setting, wow. Noise and buffeting are virtually gone, about 90% as quiet and smooth as the GS. During a T7 ride yesterday, I realized at one point that I hadn't even thought about noise or buffeting anymore, and to me that said it all. The best, most relaxing riding I've had since buying the T7.

This spoiler is staying on the T7 all the time, and I'm going to buy at least one spare spoiler to keep on the shelf in case either bike needs a replacement.

20210627_131411.thumb.jpg.0b2673c612917ebf920c8c755d4c67c6.jpg20210627_131432.thumb.jpg.172da98bc83e26d9e91bb0eb05b17615.jpg

Can you link the exact one you have here?  I got a similar one for my Super Tenere before I got a Madstad but it doesn’t fit the T7

5 hours ago, eddylindenstein said:

Can you link the exact one you have here?  I got a similar one for my Super Tenere before I got a Madstad but it doesn’t fit the T7

Here's the one I bought and use on both my T7 and R1200GS. Because of the T7's narrow, curved shield, the spoiler's attachment arm slots don't fit all the way flush on the top of the shield but there's probably 90% engagement and the two small security screws on each arm have plenty of grip area. Did another 180 mile on/off-road ride with it the other day and it makes all the difference for me.

Amazon.com: DUILU Motorcycle Windshield Extension , Universal Adjustable Clip-on Windscreen Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector (Clear, Small): Automotive 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have now added a T7 Rally adjustable windscreen mount with 10 cm spacers at the bottom for increased windscreen angle which has improved laminar flow up the inside surface of the windscreen dramatically.  

• 2 weeks later...
R & D Continues Focused on Air Entering Cockpit from the Sides

Mounting the windscreen to the T7 Rally Adjustable mounts w/spacers on the bottom mounts & raised about 2.54 cm or 1" combined with the laminar flow plate have improved air flow up the inside & over the top of the windscreen very well....but has increased spill over air into the cockpit on the sides & lower half of the windscreen as the gap between the Powerbronze side deflectors & Skydmarx windscreen have increased + depending on the riders height the upturned portion of the side deflectors can direct air up under the helmet.  

So I mocked up fill in panels  from sandwich board & integrated their shape into the side deflectors upper edge & lower side edges of the windscreen & shaped them to clear the Barkbuster handguards with  the bar risers mounted in the oem rearward position.  The shape now provides complete integrated coverage from the headlight on up & a full envelope of still air in the rider cockpit...it has even reduced the air flowing up behind the forks at the tank by about half (the spill over air must have been drawing air up from the fork area)...this is the most immersive coverage yet & if you can envision it all in plexi vs tape & sandwich board, is a shape that looks better balanced aesthetically than anything else I have seen...this is a shape that I would love to see Yamaha or other manufacturers offer as a Touring windscreen set up.  The only mod might be to add about 2-3 cm or 1-1.5" to the upper half of the windscreen to widen the air pocket on the sides of the helmet...right now I have about 1.5" side movement of my head before I hit air flow.  The challenge will be to design a mounting method for the shaped & slightly curved plexi panels that adds enough rigidity while integrating aesthetically.

20210808_181649.thumb.jpg.1068eb3616d131129d64d3c6d057af6f.jpg 20210731_131251.thumb.jpg.f6adaac3cb2a69509de8643e373aad03.jpg

20210808_155048.thumb.jpg.f312647a57d7460c58e757c64c2e6f0b.jpg 20210808_154639.thumb.jpg.baf11a27b88e22f776a8b6047e44abe7.jpg 20210808_154656.thumb.jpg.4c36b2dd5df467c2f568940238afd6c7.jpg 

20210808_154744.thumb.jpg.ac2d8178ed57b8f73621b132a58fad51.jpg
Edited by prowlnS10

Looks like a Gold Wing.

• Haha 3

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

7 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:
R & D Continues Focused on Air Entering Cockpit from the Sides

Mounting the windscreen to the T7 Rally Adjustable mounts w/spacers on the bottom mounts & raised about 2.54 cm or 1" combined with the laminar flow plate have improved air flow up the inside & over the top of the windscreen very well....but has increased spill over air into the cockpit on the sides & lower half of the windscreen as the gap between the Powerbronze side deflectors & Skydmarx windscreen have increased + depending on the riders height the upturned portion of the side deflectors can direct air up under the helmet.  

So I mocked up fill in panels  from sandwich board & integrated their shape into the side deflectors upper edge & lower side edges of the windscreen & shaped them to clear the Barkbuster handguards with  the bar risers mounted in the oem rearward position.  The shape now provides complete integrated coverage from the headlight on up & a full envelope of still air in the rider cockpit...it has even reduced the air flowing up behind the forks at the tank by about half (the spill over air must have been drawing air up from the fork area)...this is the most immersive coverage yet & if you can envision it all in plexi vs tape & sandwich board, is a shape that looks better balanced aesthetically than anything else I have seen...this is a shape that I would love to see Yamaha or other manufacturers offer as a Touring windscreen set up.  The only mod might be to add about 2-3 cm or 1-1.5" to the upper half of the windscreen to widen the air pocket on the sides of the helmet...right now I have about 1.5" side movement of my head before I hit air flow.  The challenge will be to design a mounting method for the shaped & slightly curved plexi panels that adds enough rigidity while integrating aesthetically.

20210808_181649.thumb.jpg.1068eb3616d131129d64d3c6d057af6f.jpg 20210731_131251.thumb.jpg.f6adaac3cb2a69509de8643e373aad03.jpg

20210808_155048.thumb.jpg.f312647a57d7460c58e757c64c2e6f0b.jpg 20210808_154639.thumb.jpg.baf11a27b88e22f776a8b6047e44abe7.jpg 20210808_154656.thumb.jpg.4c36b2dd5df467c2f568940238afd6c7.jpg 

20210808_154744.thumb.jpg.ac2d8178ed57b8f73621b132a58fad51.jpg

If you  were to use painters Blue Tape it would look more Yamaha like.  🤣 

Is the next step to source some plexi and make it work?  I'd like to see the finished piece.  And, do you think if the new and improved version were one piece, no separate lip on top, it would work and look better?

Good idea with the blue tape😄 ...just used what I had in the shop...then decided to black it all out with a marker so more camouflaged while I sort out the rest of the project...now it looks a little like a real R & D project on a pre-production bike 😎  Will get some 4 mm clear plexi to match the thickness of the Skydmarx windscreen & shape it with a heat gun...still sorting out the mounting method & allowing for height adjustability.  The windscreen was originally a custom made 450 mm Skydmarx that I cut down so that I could mount the cut off piece as an adjustable spoiler that can be lowered for off-road for improved sightlines.  I needed the 450 mm for my height, but  a shorter rider might get away with the cut down windscreen.  The spoiler does aide laminar flow, allow adjustable angles/positions & visually breaks up what was a very tall windscreen, so it serves multiple purposes.

20210810_221046.jpg

• Like 2

My improvement to this problem, at 6'4'' in fifty years of riding i have come to the conclusion that you can only reduce wind noise.

I got a Power bronze flip screen and wind deflectors from ruggedroads.co.uk more buffeting  so i got a T7rally.com  screen extender and raised the screen that stopped the buffeting but the noise was just as bad due to the massif gap between the lower edge of the screen and the top of the headlamp unit to fill this gap i cut the OEM screen in half and used the lower half to fill this gap.

The countersunk screws that come with the screen extender are long enough to attach the part of the screen and the extender to the original holes the upper holes need a spacer to keep the screen extender level i used two small but oversized stainless nuts that the countersunk screws will fit through this allows full adjustment for the screen use thread locker on all four screws.

IMG_1349.thumb.JPG.17c46016f46511def23de7ac9a02c905.JPG

This shows the lower part of the OEM screen and the extender in the original holes.IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.af88b1cd6592262b45da35d3f193b975.JPG

This shows the small nut used as a spacer on the upper screw holes.IMG_1352.thumb.JPG.4f503e4ad24f8f3f8d8c4ffca5a38438.JPG 

This shows the size of the gap with the screen at full extension.

Gave it a one hundred mile test yesterday  no buffeting and wind noise reduced to an acceptable level.

IMG_1350.JPG

• Like 4

On 8/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, Mapbook said:

My improvement to this problem, at 6'4'' in fifty years of riding i have come to the conclusion that you can only reduce wind noise.

I got a Power bronze flip screen and wind deflectors from ruggedroads.co.uk more buffeting  so i got a T7rally.com  screen extender and raised the screen that stopped the buffeting but the noise was just as bad due to the massif gap between the lower edge of the screen and the top of the headlamp unit to fill this gap i cut the OEM screen in half and used the lower half to fill this gap.

The countersunk screws that come with the screen extender are long enough to attach the part of the screen and the extender to the original holes the upper holes need a spacer to keep the screen extender level i used two small but oversized stainless nuts that the countersunk screws will fit through this allows full adjustment for the screen use thread locker on all four screws.

IMG_1349.thumb.JPG.17c46016f46511def23de7ac9a02c905.JPG

This shows the lower part of the OEM screen and the extender in the original holes.IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.af88b1cd6592262b45da35d3f193b975.JPG

This shows the small nut used as a spacer on the upper screw holes.IMG_1352.thumb.JPG.4f503e4ad24f8f3f8d8c4ffca5a38438.JPG 

This shows the size of the gap with the screen at full extension.

Gave it a one hundred mile test yesterday  no buffeting and wind noise reduced to an acceptable level.

IMG_1350.JPG

As another 6'4 T7 rider bothered by the wind well done! I have the screen T7rally adjuster and am mulling over which extended screen to go for but hadn't thought to double up like that! Do you have the taller rally seat on the bike as well?

I would like to see what it looks like as an overall as my only issue with the extended aftermarket screens is I cannot find one I can bear aesthetically.

• Moderators

@prowlnS10 Great research and detailed information, subscribed to see what you come up with next.

@jdub53 Mucho thanks for the Amazon link and pics.  I took the plunge, threw $25 at that piece of plexiglass and it's almost magic! Took my head rattling ride and refined it to not too bad at all. It isn't even remotely attractive,  but put me in the happy camper column.  Vital stats: 6'1", 36" inseam, SC Tall Comfort seat.

20210817_140107.jpg

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 8/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, AZJW said:

@prowlnS10 Great research and detailed information, subscribed to see what you come up with next.

@jdub53 Mucho thanks for the Amazon link and pics.  I took the plunge, threw $25 at that piece of plexiglass and it's almost magic! Took my head rattling ride and refined it to not too bad at all. It isn't even remotely attractive,  but put me in the happy camper column.  Vital stats: 6'1", 36" inseam, SC Tall Comfort seat.

20210817_140107.jpg

Wow... after returning the Puig (made things much worse), I also pulled the trigger on this deflector.  Wind noise and buffeting now under control!   Very happy, in fact I think this set up with the OEM windshield , windshield extender and this deflector is actually more effective than the Madstad was on my old Gen2 KLR.   For your reference, I am long in the torso (6"3" with 32" inseam).  Thank you @prowlnS10 and @jdub53!!  

IMG_3682.jpeg

• Like 4