Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Wind & Noise Management

prowlnS10

On 6/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, jdub53 said:

I've also just found an add-on spoiler to be the noise/buffeting solution on my T7.

I'm 5' 8" tall with a 32" inseam, so have a short torso. While not excessive, the noise and buffeting from the T7's OEM windscreen has bothered me mostly because my frame of reference is my R1200GS on which I experience a quiet, smooth ride (with VStream's short screen). My T7 came with both the OEM screen and a Powerbronze short sport screen. I found the Powerbronze a bit smoother, but no quieter than the OEM unit.

I wear well fitting ear plugs when riding each bike and hearing aids when off of them. Very sensitive to elevated noise levels. 

Several months before buying my T7, I bought an inexpensive (~ $25) windscreen spoiler through Amazon for the GS just for giggles because so many people were talking about them.  The spoiler made a definite difference, and now I pop it onto the GS for longer rides involving highways (takes seconds to slip on and secure once I had the best set-up figured out).

20210605_115742.thumb.jpg.68ff4219d9fdce0c81d752276a703649.jpg  

I wondered how it would work on the T7, so I bought the same item and installed it this past weekend. After stopping once and making an adjustment to my initial setting, wow. Noise and buffeting are virtually gone, about 90% as quiet and smooth as the GS. During a T7 ride yesterday, I realized at one point that I hadn't even thought about noise or buffeting anymore, and to me that said it all. The best, most relaxing riding I've had since buying the T7.

This spoiler is staying on the T7 all the time, and I'm going to buy at least one spare spoiler to keep on the shelf in case either bike needs a replacement.

20210627_131411.thumb.jpg.0b2673c612917ebf920c8c755d4c67c6.jpg20210627_131432.thumb.jpg.172da98bc83e26d9e91bb0eb05b17615.jpg

I bought the larger version of this screen and have found that the force of the wind is too great for the mounting hardware and the screen will not stay in position.  I never went over 75-80 mph so not happy about this. 

Has anyone else run into the same problem? 

Interestingly, when the screen tilted back towards me, the peak on my helmet stopped rattling! 

I have the madstad setup, but for sure, the anti bobble bars are a necessity to make even stock screen more stable at speed. Even with the bars to help stabilize, it is not totally solid...

3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

I bought the larger version of this screen and have found that the force of the wind is too great for the mounting hardware and the screen will not stay in position.  I never went over 75-80 mph so not happy about this. 

Has anyone else run into the same problem? 

Interestingly, when the screen tilted back towards me, the peak on my helmet stopped rattling! 

I haven't experienced any such issues with the smaller spoiler on either my T7 or GS at similar or higher speeds. 

My cousin recently installed one of these same spoilers on his KTM 890R Adv after we traded bikes one day, and he's experienced the same buffeting and wind improvements.

Just in case I was not clear, my problem is that the latches for the screen arms did not keep the screen from rotating back towards me.  I started with the screen at the same angle as the bike's windscreen, but the wind pushed it until it was sitting close to being parallel with the ground.

I may try the smaller one since others are not seeing the same problems with it.  Are you guys getting anywhere near 80mph as speed might be contributing?  I ran at 75+mph for at least an hour on the way to an off-road riding area.

10 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Just in case I was not clear, my problem is that the latches for the screen arms did not keep the screen from rotating back towards me.  I started with the screen at the same angle as the bike's windscreen, but the wind pushed it until it was sitting close to being parallel with the ground.

I may try the smaller one since others are not seeing the same problems with it.  Are you guys getting anywhere near 80mph as speed might be contributing?  I ran at 75+mph for at least an hour on the way to an off-road riding area.

I understood your earlier post, and I wonder if maybe the latching mechanism on yours is defective? Or maybe if your larger one uses the same mechanism as the smaller spoiler that mechanism just isn't up to the task for the larger unit.

Mine hasn't moved since my final adjustment to it about 6k miles ago, and I've run 8o to 85 mph for miles several times.

• Like 2

@Hollybrook one other thought: Are all four of your spoiler's latches properly locked to hold it into position? Here's one side of mine, showing both latches in the locked vertical position. The rear latch is inboard (to the left in this pic) of the circular arm end and is pointed down:

20220818_064558.jpg.031095b86366a89490c87b166f0ba3ff.jpg

Yes, the latches were properly set to the correct position.  The main problem was with the latches on the mount to the bike's windshield, which are easier to operate and verify. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Hollybrook Hopefully you'll have better results with the smaller screen. On my return from Utah last September,  I passed by the southern edge of the Vermillion Cliffs on Hwy 89A.  That fairly ribbon straight section of pavement saw an average speed of 85 and my smaller spoiler didn't move. In fact, I haven't touched it since the install last summer, hmmm, better go check those set screws. 😉  Let us know how it works out. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/29/2021 at 6:04 AM, jdub53 said:

Several months before buying my T7, I bought an inexpensive (~ $25) windscreen spoiler through Amazon for the GS just for giggles...

...I bought the same item and installed it this past weekend. After stopping once and making an adjustment to my initial setting, wow. Noise and buffeting are virtually gone, about 90% as quiet and smooth as the GS.

Sounds like it's worth a try for the money, and I like the look of it too (oddly enough)  I rarely do Amazon, it's a pain in the neck down here in Oz but I'll look on ebay.  Any links, even amazon would be appreciated jd.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, winddown said:

Sounds like it's worth a try for the money, and I like the look of it too (oddly enough)  I rarely do Amazon, it's a pain in the neck down here in Oz but I'll look on ebay.  Any links, even amazon would be appreciated jd.

Spoiler link from my July 14, 2021, post on page 1 of this thread: 

8 hours ago, jdub53 said:

Spoiler link from my July 14, 2021, post on page 1 of this thread: 

Yes, I ordered one last night on ebay, looks identical.  $28 Australian though some sellers were asking $60 lol.  It will be good to get it installed.  Is there any latitude in the positioning/angle when you bolt it on?  Or does it by default only have one position.

13 minutes ago, winddown said:

Yes, I ordered one last night on ebay, looks identical.  $28 Australian though some sellers were asking $60 lol.  It will be good to get it installed.  Is there any latitude in the positioning/angle when you bolt it on?  Or does it by default only have one position.

Lots of vertical adjustment in the arms and lots of tilt angle adjustment on the windscreen portion itself.

I started in a neutral/middle setting on both for my initial ride with it, stopped after a few miles, made adjustments, and it's stayed in that position ever since. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 8:32 AM, jdub53 said:

Lots of vertical adjustment in the arms and lots of tilt angle adjustment on the windscreen portion itself...

Good luck!

I was a bit disconcerted when I fitted it up because I couldn't get the clamps to angle inward to ensure a full grasp of the screen.  I came back and looked at this post again and see you're setup is the same.

1219489188_screenissue.jpg.c43719708f869ebc248ad4d5f7040655.jpg

I assume you have no issues with it slipping so I'll go ahead with it, after one more look at how I could cant the clamps in at an angle.  I can't see a way though.  Shame it didn't have an adjustment for this.  Obviously a one size fits nothing properly screen lol

10 hours ago, winddown said:

I was a bit disconcerted when I fitted it up because I couldn't get the clamps to angle inward to ensure a full grasp of the screen.  I came back and looked at this post again and see you're setup is the same.

1219489188_screenissue.jpg.c43719708f869ebc248ad4d5f7040655.jpg

I assume you have no issues with it slipping so I'll go ahead with it, after one more look at how I could cant the clamps in at an angle.  I can't see a way though.  Shame it didn't have an adjustment for this.  Obviously a one size fits nothing properly screen lol

Correct, no slippage or other movement since I installed mine over 7,000 miles ago. 

After my cousin and I swapped bikes during a recent ride, he started gushing about the quiet and smooth air bubble for his helmet while on my T7 and I passed along the spoiler info to him. That highway time on his KTM reminded me of the noise and buffeting I'd felt right after buying my T7. Two weeks later when I asked how he liked the spoiler on his 890 Adventure R, his one word reply: Perfect!  

20220711_123803.jpg.643de01fe50b07da482c3adb059520a1.jpg

Edited by jdub53

1 hour ago, Kosmo said:

The Madstad shield really works for me.

You must be a Giraffe, they are a tall screen 😉

27 minutes ago, winddown said:

You must be a Giraffe

I was thinking maybe Herman Munster...

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 9/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, jdub53 said:

Correct, no slippage or other movement since I installed mine over 7,000 miles ago. 

.... Two weeks later when I asked how he liked the spoiler on his 890 Adventure R, his one word reply: Perfect!  

Call it purchase confirmation bias, or whatever, but I actually like the look of it up there.  I don't know what it is in our brains jdub that can lead us to covert all bikes into the sportbike image, with the hot pipe, bling addons and bikini fearing screens, I know I have had it since my early days, but once you get away from that mindset into some more practical areas of design perhaps you lose it?

Either way, based on your experiences, I'm sure I will out of the gale force winds now.  I'll have to remember to take the little allan keys when I test it though.

2007226787_T7SCREEN.jpg.a976a13c94bd0d3f9d6dc6d824b22c86.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, RiderI said:

Wow... after returning the Puig (made things much worse), I also pulled the trigger on this deflector.  Wind noise and buffeting now under control!   Very happy, in fact I think this set up with the OEM windshield , windshield extender and this deflector is actually more effective than the Madstad was on my old Gen2 KLR.   For your reference, I am long in the torso (6"3" with 32" inseam).  Thank you @prowlnS10 and @jdub53!!  

IMG_3682.jpeg

Similar set up to what I rode to the Yukon this summer.  Unfortunately the pin holding the linkage from the windshield to the arms gave out on both sides.  Ended up putting in carabiners that worked but only at one angle (pretty much 45 degrees over the windscreen).  If I could find one that has beefier mechanisms, I would order again.  How many miles do you have on yours? 

On 10/7/2022 at 7:25 PM, roygilbo said:

Similar set up to what I rode to the Yukon this summer.  Unfortunately the pin holding the linkage from the windshield to the arms gave out on both sides.  Ended up putting in carabiners that worked but only at one angle (pretty much 45 degrees over the windscreen).  If I could find one that has beefier mechanisms, I would order again.  How many miles do you have on yours? 

So far Ive put about 9,000 miles with this configuration.. no issues so far;  I did however put a beefier rubber washer between windshield and extension bracket and between the outer fastener and windshield. 

The Madstad has been THE answer for me on several bikes. The folks at Madstad do all the engineering and save me the trouble of trying many screens and solutions like I have done, before discovering madstad.

They have options for height depending on your height.

It is amusing all the gyrations bikers try, when the clear answer is cheaper, and no frustration,  than trying different screens and addons.

I know ymmv, and becuz they always work for me doesn't mean u will be as hoppy as me!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick followup to my previous post about the wider screen (~$30) that would not stay in position.   I switched to the smaller version using the original mounts and my issues are fixed. 

• Like 1

What about this from Puig?

dc4ff888702e785dff06c41a9357e89d.jpg

Discover more about our product: M.E.M. (Manual Elevation Mechanism) for YAMAHA TENERE 700 2022. Information on mounting, variations, availability… Welcome! - Puig Hi-Tech Parts

I've been riding for over 6 years, but they've all been sport bikes with minimal windscreens.

I'm about 5'10".  Just got the height adjuster for my Tenere's windscreen but at its highest position the top interferes with my sight line.  Kinda like what I imagine wearing bifocals would look like.  There's also some slight distortion looking through that plastic.

Is this something you all just get used to?  I can't imagine adding those additional spoilers and other farkles on top of it all.

3 hours ago, Endopotential said:

I've been riding for over 6 years, but they've all been sport bikes with minimal windscreens.

I'm about 5'10".  Just got the height adjuster for my Tenere's windscreen but at its highest position the top interferes with my sight line.  Kinda like what I imagine wearing bifocals would look like.  There's also some slight distortion looking through that plastic.

Is this something you all just get used to?  I can't imagine adding those additional spoilers and other farkles on top of it all.

I had tried a windscreen adjuster also, but it just didn't provide the improvement from noise and helmet buffeting I was looking for regardless of the height setting. One of the advantages of the spoiler I added to my OEM windscreen instead allows both height and angle adjustment to fine tune it for each rider. The way mine is adjusted the top of the spoiler extends 1.5" to 2" above the OEM windscreen. While I know it's there, I can't say it has ever bothered me but if it did I could possibly lower/change the angle of the spoiler for the same effect. Like you, there's no way I could ride with a spoiler on top of a windscreen adjusted a lot higher than this. 

20220325_132749.jpg.15537d7badebf28a254e4dd7233221c2.jpg  

• Like 1