Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Wind & Noise Management

prowlnS10

I have a Shoei Hornet X2 that is quiet and no issues with the visor (peak) at speeds well above what I should be doing on 50/50 tires. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hollybrook said:

I have a Shoei Hornet X2 that is quiet and no issues with the visor (peak) at speeds well above what I should be doing on 50/50 tires. 

In contrast to my Scorpion ADX-1... Very comfy, cheap, but damn loud.

30 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

In contrast to my Scorpion ADX-1... Very comfy, cheap, but damn loud.

And so was the Bell MX-9 Adventure that I destroyed. Both wind noise and visor rattle were excessive. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

And so was the Bell MX-9 Adventure that I destroyed. Both wind noise and visor rattle were excessive. 

That's right, had forgotten about the getoff. All healed up? 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

All healed up? 

Yes, it took about a month for all the concussion symptoms to go away, but they were not that bad, even during the first week.  My wife convinced me to take it easy far longer than I would have if she was not coaching me.  🤣

Thanks for asking!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, r1superstar said:

WRS low windscreen plus wider side deflectors.  Dirt bike helmet and goggles, Idaho BDR, 102mph on the pavement.  Wind problem SOLVED!!!

Where do you buy those wider side deflectors? I see many on eBay, I just don't want crappy ones.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 7:22 PM, r1superstar said:

WRS low windscreen plus wider side deflectors.  Dirt bike helmet and goggles, Idaho BDR, 102mph on the pavement.  Wind problem SOLVED!!!

Would these interfere with aftermarket hand guards like BarkBusters or Acerbis? I already had to do quite a bit of adjusting to prevent my Acerbis hand guards from contacting the windscreen and body panels at full lock. 

Thanks!

On 9/5/2023 at 1:21 PM, IDT7 said:

Would these interfere with aftermarket hand guards like BarkBusters or Acerbis? I already had to do quite a bit of adjusting to prevent my Acerbis hand guards from contacting the windscreen and body panels at full lock. 

Thanks!

Nope, no issues on mine.

I bit the bullet and spent the big bucks on a Touratech Windscreen Windshield Adjuster Pro, and I find it helps to be able to adjust the windscreen as needed to help cut down on wind buffeting. I tried one of those cheap eBay ones but didn't like the fact that the windscreen rubbed on the brackets and you couldn't adjust the windscreen height while seated on the bike. 

The Touratech Windscreen Adjustment Pro offers significantly improved weather protection and customizable aerodynamics on board the Yamaha Ténéré 700. This product is easy to install and allows you to conveniently...

It's not super easy to raise the windscreen while riding on the highway, but it can be easily lowered. It might be easier to raise while riding if you have longer arms. It is nice that you can easily raise it while stopped and still sitting on the bike.

I took an old helmet visor, cut it down, and zip-tied it so it closed off the gap below the windscreen when it was fully raised. Figured I would try this after seeing someone else on here do this with the sliding windscreen brackets. Took a little bit to get it to fit right so it wasn't rubbing on the top of the headlight. The added bonus is it helps keep the bug guts from getting under the windscreen and on the back of your instrument cluster.

I took an old helmet visor, cut it down, and zip-tied it so it closed off the gap below the windscreen when it was fully raised

did it make any difference/reduce wind noise?

• Moderators

A PSA to those who run the T7 Rally windscreen adjusters and a spoiler on rough terrain.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/6966-new-owner-wind-noise/?do=findComment&comment=78129

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 9/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, craski said:

I took an old helmet visor, cut it down, and zip-tied it so it closed off the gap below the windscreen when it was fully raised

did it make any difference/reduce wind noise?

I found it helps keep the wind noise level the same, no matter how high I set the windscreen. You can see how large an opening there is when the screen is in the high position.

Low vs High.jpg

Here are a couple of images of the cut-down helmet visor installed below the windscreen adjuster. Not the greatest images, but they give an idea of how the visor is trimmed to fit.

image.jpeg.9cf7df8f71f9788d1ba8bf813ac08bfe.jpeg

image.jpeg.e84cf613683457b416d372b81e0c1d81.jpeg

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 2

I got sick of the look of the two mount screen and have put on the other variant.  Last time I tried it there was still wind buffeting but perhaps I didn't adjust it right.  I'll take more effort this time.

It doesn't look much better in this pic but it's actually a lot more stylish

T7SCREEN-1.jpg.f9dc17c6f10be9cc5015fbfe2d093d79.jpg

Old Screen

T7SCREEN-2(3).jpg.c31d6c0d0d62f2db109596e3f4a329e7.jpg

On 9/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, Rocky_Mtn_T7 said:

I found it helps keep the wind noise level the same, no matter how high I set the windscreen. You can see how large an opening there is when the screen is in the high position.

Low vs High.jpg

Here are a couple of images of the cut-down helmet visor installed below the windscreen adjuster. Not the greatest images, but they give an idea of how the visor is trimmed to fit.

image.jpeg.9cf7df8f71f9788d1ba8bf813ac08bfe.jpeg

image.jpeg.e84cf613683457b416d372b81e0c1d81.jpeg

Simple laminar flow plate: 1.6 mm (1/16") black abs with textured matte finish 1 side & smooth flat on the other mounted to the back of the oem windscreen mount using the oem bolts & adding nuts on the protruding threads. ..if you pre-shape it with a hair dryer or heat gun it doesn't need to bolted on & removes easily for cleaning

20210614_204718.jpg

20210614_205520.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was my first extended highway ride @ 55 - 60 mph.  My Shoei helmet is pretty quiet, so I chose not to use earplugs for the trip.  In the normal riding position, holy crap, the wind buffeting noise was horrible!!!  If I raised my head by standing up a bit, the clean airflow was eerily quiet.  If I ducked down into a 'tuck' position, the stock windshield carried the air over me, it was also quiet.  Very thankful for this thread, I am learning many things, and will be looking for some resolution .....  

• Like 1

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

6 minutes ago, chadio said:

Yesterday was my first extended highway ride @ 55 - 60 mph.  My Shoei helmet is pretty quiet, so I chose not to use earplugs for the trip.  In the normal riding position, holy crap, the wind buffeting noise was horrible!!!  If I raised my head by standing up a bit, the clean airflow was eerily quiet.  If I ducked down into a 'tuck' position, the stock windshield carried the air over me, it was also quiet.  Very thankful for this thread, I am learning many things, and will be looking for some resolution .....  

Exactly what I've found! Standing up gives you clean, calm airflow and it's suprisingly quiet compared to the normal seating position.

A shorter screen helps, but still isn't perfect. In my case, it reduced the strong thundering buffeting by maybe 60-70%. Standing up is still significantly quieter though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went a little bit further down the rabbit hole (but haven't met any of you guys there yet) - here's what I've done today:

Although I'm relatively happy with my short screen (see above), it's still not perfect. Especially on the highway it's still loud and, due to its length, doesn't provide much wind protection for head & upper body.

A friend of mine, same size as me, has done the opposite and installed a screen riser from Kedo. He loves it, and since it isn't expensive, I decided to give it a try. Cool thing about this one is the ability to both rise (+70mm) and lower (-15mm) the screen. The latter is welcome when going offroad.

When I fiddled around with this kit, I found I could eventually keep my short Puig screen attached, mounting the OEM screen in front of it. Ok, it'd add a little bit of weight, but the short screen might be able to act as a laminar flow plate. Of course, there's no guarantee it doesn't make things even worse, and I haven't ridden this setup yet.

Installation required using different spacers than the one supplied with the Kedo kit and widening the OEM screen's lower mounting holes a little bit.

Here's how it looks, I like it so far:

20231210_155907.jpg.e66c3ce3817ceebea5246a0738d3a6b8.jpg

20231210_155914.jpg.44068eaa4528e3f1e65c04fef1219355.jpg

Low position:

20231210_155959.jpg.c350f9e5b23be0bd20f9ffecbd2600bd.jpg

20231210_155951.jpg.ff730c698834eb0a2dddd0d0e437d6c9.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:20 AM, Tenerider said:

I went a little bit further down the rabbit hole (but haven't met any of you guys there yet) - here's what I've done today:

Although I'm relatively happy with my short screen (see above), it's still not perfect. Especially on the highway it's still loud and, due to its length, doesn't provide much wind protection for head & upper body.

A friend of mine, same size as me, has done the opposite and installed a screen riser from Kedo. He loves it, and since it isn't expensive, I decided to give it a try. Cool thing about this one is the ability to both rise (+70mm) and lower (-15mm) the screen. The latter is welcome when going offroad.

When I fiddled around with this kit, I found I could eventually keep my short Puig screen attached, mounting the OEM screen in front of it. Ok, it'd add a little bit of weight, but the short screen might be able to act as a laminar flow plate. Of course, there's no guarantee it doesn't make things even worse, and I haven't ridden this setup yet.

Installation required using different spacers than the one supplied with the Kedo kit and widening the OEM screen's lower mounting holes a little bit.

Here's how it looks, I like it so far:

20231210_155907.jpg.e66c3ce3817ceebea5246a0738d3a6b8.jpg

20231210_155914.jpg.44068eaa4528e3f1e65c04fef1219355.jpg

Low position:

20231210_155959.jpg.c350f9e5b23be0bd20f9ffecbd2600bd.jpg

20231210_155951.jpg.ff730c698834eb0a2dddd0d0e437d6c9.jpg

How did you go with this setup?

7 minutes ago, Robo said:

How did you go with this setup?

It's not perfect. I can't really say if it's an improvement noise-wise in comparison to my short screen, maybe a little bit less turbulence when the screen is in the dropped position. When it's high up, it doesn't work well for me, buffeting increases unless I lower my head a bit. For shorter people it will be better.

I'm keeping it because my smartphone is protected from wind, rain, small stones much better now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tenerider said:

It's not perfect. I can't really say if it's an improvement noise-wise in comparison to my short screen, maybe a little bit less turbulence when the screen is in the dropped position. When it's high up, it doesn't work well for me, buffeting increases unless I lower my head a bit. For shorter people it will be better.

I'm keeping it because my smartphone is protected from wind, rain, small stones much better now.

Wind management on the T7 is complicated because of the mostly upright position of the windscreen a long way from the rider's head, particularly for taller riders. The shape, width & height of the oem windscreen & the associated bodywork in conjunction with poor oem  laminar flow up the inside of the windscreen allow a lot of side spill air to curl in behind the windscreen & oem side winglets drawing air up the forks & under the chin creating noise/buffeting.  Wider side winglets like the Powerbronze help, but it wasn't until I made custom side winglets that fill the gap between the oem or aftermarket windscreen & the Powerbronze side winglets that the issue was adequately addressed, noticeable reduced spill over air & air being drawn up the forks under my chin.  Effective laminar flow plates, adjustable spoilers, aftermarket windscreens & adjustable height brackets help tailor performance for individual setups.  This type of setup won't be for everyone, but it performs I believe as good as it can get for hwy speeds, while having enough adjustability to lower it about the same height as the oem windscreen while still producing near touring level wind protection & riding with my visor open. I'm 6' 1.5" or 187 cm with a long upper torso, 33" or 84 cm inseem & arm reach.

20230416_170314.jpg

20220308_225338.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, Hollybrook said:

Yes! Mine was terrible too!  At one point on a trip I had to pull over and remove the visor due to a cross wind bending it in my field of vision.  And every time I look sideways wind would rush in the sheild seal as if I had it cracked open.  Terrible when it was cold out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

Yes! Mine was terrible too!  At one point on a trip I had to pull over and remove the visor due to a cross wind bending it in my field of vision.  And every time I look sideways wind would rush in the sheild seal as if I had it cracked open.  Terrible when it was cold out.

Glad you guys have said that. It was going to be my next attempt after the tourX4. 

• Like 1