Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis Fuel Tank Upgrade

RagingBullFish

Greetings, couple questions to those that have used the Acerbis for a bit.

My goal with my T7 is to lower the weight  whenever (mostly) practical.  I'm not adding farkles, am using soft luggage, no racks, Lifo battery, lighter exhaust etc.   Related I am also trying to reduce the low speed top heavy feel a bit as also practical, and with low expectations!  It looks like the Acerbis will hold most of its fuel a little lower than the stock tank, especially if not full.

1) Has anyone noticed a difference in feel with lower fuel load, say with only 3 gallons, compared with stock tank?

2) I wish the stock tank was a bit more narrow where my knees hit it. I am (6'2" 188cm).  The Acerbis looks about the same, but I definitely do not want a wider tank. Does the Acerbis width feel same as stock when riding in attack/dirt position? Has anyone experimented with taking a heat gun (very carefully!) to an Acerbis to slightly (say a few mm) narrow it at the widest point?  I have heard of folks using a heat gun for Scott's damper installation.

Appreciate any feedback from those with direct experience.

Cheers

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

First ride today with the new tank (and tank bag).  Have done 340km on the tank and still got 2 bars on the gauge.  No idea how the gauge "works" now but I would probably have run out by now on the standard tank or be very close.  So probably still have quite a few more kms left in the tank...

Also, I haven't done the fix on the locking tank cap and had no issues at all so I'm picking my cap might be ok and not need the fix.

The tank bag was also no problem - it keeps well out of the way.

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle, road, nature and grass

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle and road

• Like 1

3 hours ago, banditrider said:

First ride today with the new tank (and tank bag).  Have done 340km on the tank and still got 2 bars on the gauge.  No idea how the gauge "works" now but I would probably have run out by now on the standard tank or be very close.  So probably still have quite a few more kms left in the tank...

Also, I haven't done the fix on the locking tank cap and had no issues at all so I'm picking my cap might be ok and not need the fix.

The tank bag was also no problem - it keeps well out of the way.

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle, road, nature and grass

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle and road

I've found that except for it taking much longer for the fuel gauge to begin dropping bars (natural because of the extra fuel above the float), once the bars start dropping the gauge performance is identical to using the OEM tank.

For example, when I hit three bars remaining I knew the OEM tank was half full/about 130 miles (~ 2.1 gal) remaining. When three bars first show with the Acerbis, experience proves the same fuel quantity/mileage remain.  

My GL Fandango tankbag is positioned as far forward as possible, and also no interference from it whatsoever when standing off-road. My black Acerbis tank does now have scuff marks at contact areas from the GL bag harness as a result of off-road trips with dirt/dust, but that doesn't bother me at all.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Will be receiving my Acerbis big tank in a few days. 

Question, is there a stock fuel filter on the T7 that I should be replacing while I have the tank/fuel pump off the bike?  Could not find one looking at the parts diagram.  Have 16,000+ miles on the bike and would like to do this as preventive maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Will be receiving my Acerbis big tank in a few days. 

Question, is there a stock fuel filter on the T7 that I should be replacing while I have the tank/fuel pump off the bike?  Could not find one looking at the parts diagram.  Have 16,000+ miles on the bike and would like to do this as preventive maintenance.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately you can't buy a filter from Yamaha, but they are available if you look around.

They are called tea bag filters and are on most bikes these days with fuel injection.

Look at this thread and you will see there are a few clips you need to pry open then the pump comes off to expose the filter.

A few threads have indicated the MT07 and several other Yamaha bikes use the same filter.  Here is a link to a tea bag filter on eBay that is listed for the MT07, but look around and confirm the fitment for your self, I do not guarantee this is the correct one.

I looked a while back and found 3 or 4 different filters between $10-20 each.

s-l400.jpg

MTT690 MTT690-A MT-07 Tracer( 2016). MTT690 MTT690-U MT-07 Tracer( 2016). MTT690 MTT690P-AB MT-07 Tracer( 2017). MT09/ MTN850 Tracer( 2015-2017). MT09TRA MT-09...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been considering the Acerbis fuel tank upgrade and noticing there is a 5.8 gallon as well as a 6.1 gallon tank out there, with Acerbis showing the 6.1 gallon tank as their current product, presumably making the 5.8 gallon tank the original version that has also presumably been discontinued.  As such, I was wondering if anybody knows the specific details or differences between the two configurations (beyond the obvious capacity difference) relative to fit/finish issues?

3 hours ago, e010584 said:

Been considering the Acerbis fuel tank upgrade and noticing there is a 5.8 gallon as well as a 6.1 gallon tank out there, with Acerbis showing the 6.1 gallon tank as their current product, presumably making the 5.8 gallon tank the original version that has also presumably been discontinued.  As such, I was wondering if anybody knows the specific details or differences between the two configurations (beyond the obvious capacity difference) relative to fit/finish issues?

It’s 22L/23L depending on advert. 
It’s 4.88/5.1 gallons in proper speak. 😉😂 (which makes our gallon about £7.50 😮). I don’t think they’ve physically changed anything. I can vouch for the quality though. Really nice bit of kit. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dougie said:

It’s 22L/23L depending on advert. 
It’s 4.88/5.1 gallons in proper speak. 😉😂 (which makes our gallon about £7.50 😮). I don’t think they’ve physically changed anything. I can vouch for the quality though. Really nice bit of kit. 

Like @e010584, I'm seeing 6.1 gallons also on the US Acerbis website.   Maybe we need more range over here across the pond?  😉 Possibly a typo?  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

We're just confused by the imperial system, we like logic in the metric world 😎

• Like 3

The Air Chair Bee’s tank is larger than stock by over a Gallon.   I’m still contemplating the larger tank or the Camel Tank.  Anyone ever tried both?   Not at the same time, lol.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Redneckj said:

Anyone ever tried both?   

Now, there's an idea! Ironbutt anyone?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The part number is still the same. Probably somewhere between 22 and 23l but they couldn’t decide which way to round it. Maybe it was originally in Roman numerals?🤔😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AZJW said:

Like @e010584, I'm seeing 6.1 gallons also on the US Acerbis website.   Maybe we need more range over here across the pond?  😉 Possibly a typo?  

22 L = 5.8 US Liquid Gal  23L = 6.1 US Liquid Gal

Also I'm seeing the 5.8 gal units selling for ~$100 less than the 6.1 gal units.

In the US, we're converting to the metric system inch by inch.

Edited by e010584
clarification
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, e010584 said:

22 L = 5.8 US Liquid Gal  23L = 6.1 US Liquid Gal

Also I'm seeing the 5.8 gal units selling for ~$100 less than the 6.1 gal units.

In the US, we're converting to the metric system inch by inch.

It looks like you have many kilometers to go still.

• Haha 3

A little jealous this side of the pond, that you guys are able to use that range in your backyards without getting fines or hitting caltrops hidden in the mud (seriously) by anti-greenlaners, and camping where you stop. Got to bring my bike over there one day. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dougie said:

A little jealous this side of the pond, that you guys are able to use that range in your backyards without getting fines or hitting caltrops hidden in the mud (seriously) by anti-greenlaners, and camping where you stop. Got to bring my bike over there one day. 

Having worked in Switzerland over the past eight years, I can feel your frustration.  I rode the Africa Twins there before we could get them here and had to do some illegal off road riding in Liechtenstein to test it's abilities, surprising some hikers.  I was also working down in Sicily though and I was happy to see they manage to get in the dirt.  Regardless, we do have it good and my home is in the middle of a National Forest near the Arizona Back Country Discovery Route if anybody wants to come pay a visit.  The biggest down side is the motorcycle manufacturers don't send us the latest hardware, knowing we can wring them out better here.

• Like 1

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the tank upgrade.  The original seller responded to my inquiry indicating his original advertisement for a 5.8 gal unit is indeed more appropriately a 6.1 gal unit, not that it changed in size.  So it does appear it is simply a matter of ambiguity on the original 22/23 liter sizing translating to like ambiguity on the 5.8/6.1 US gal.  I guess it's probably worth answering the question of what the actual capacity of the tank is at some point, but for ~$300 I couldn't resist another opportunity to pull some dry weight out of the bike with the benefit of added fuel capacity / range.  Now I'll have to figure out some decals to match my factory graphics or opt for a new decal kit (I'm partial to the OEM graphics if anybody knows where to purchase or  OEM replica of just the tank graphic).

I did notice the Safari Tank from down under as another option when I was searching for alternatives.  That gets you all the way up to 25 liters or 6.6 US gal!  I like the way they appear to get more fuel down in the wings, but wasn't so keen on the external geometry, let alone the price.

So, the next question is while I'm waiting for the tank, what other upgrade/modifications should I be considering knowing the tank is coming off?  Two that come to mind are the vacuum canister removal / tool tube installation and spark plug removal facilitation modification.  Are there any others I should be considering while there?  The bike is essentially new, so no particular maintenance/inspections are warranted at this time.

If you want a ( couple ) powered outlets in the dash area now is a good time to run them direct to the battery area.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:25 AM, AZJW said:

Imperial gallon is 40 ounces. A British pint of beer is 20 ounces. A proper pint!

US gallon is 32 ounces. US sleeve of beer is 16, or 14, or 12 ounces and it’s called a pint.

litres is understood everywhere and a 500ml beer is a good size.

• Like 2