Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis Fuel Tank Upgrade

RagingBullFish

On 12/20/2022 at 9:12 PM, e010584 said:

Stickers and vent tube done!

20221220_125053.jpg

That angled vent tube looks good - Where did you get that ?

I've had the acerbis tank on since oktober 2021 and need to do something about it ....

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 Ténéré
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS Ténéré [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré  [Sold]

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed my Acerbis and am very happy with it.  Installation was pretty straightforward and fit was good once I removed the rubber pads from the inside of the fairing.  I weighed the stock tank and Acerbis after all of the hardware had been removed and got 10 lbs for stock and 7 lbs for the Acerbis.  So, the new tank is about 3 lbs lighter, but holds an extra 12 lbs of fuel for a net gain of 9lbs.  Decent tradeoff.  BTW, RockyMountain has a decent video covering the install, though they do gloss over a few things. 

My question: has anyone had problems with the tank getting pressurized after sitting in the sun?  I see no way for the tank to relieve pressure with the one way check valve installed on the vent line.  I imagine the problem is the same with the locking cap unless it somehow is able to vent in both directions.

Just now, Leojb said:

Just installed my Acerbis and am very happy with it.  Installation was pretty straightforward and fit was good once I removed the rubber pads from the inside of the fairing.  I weighed the stock tank and Acerbis after all of the hardware had been removed and got 10 lbs for stock and 7 lbs for the Acerbis.  So, the new tank is about 3 lbs lighter, but holds an extra 12 lbs of fuel for a net gain of 9lbs.  Decent tradeoff.  BTW, RockyMountain has a decent video covering the install, though they do gloss over a few things. 

My question: has anyone had problems with the tank getting pressurized after sitting in the sun?  I see no way for the tank to relieve pressure with the one way check valve installed on the vent line.  I imagine the problem is the same with the locking cap unless it somehow is able to vent in both directions.

I have the locking cap. I have to be careful, i need to leave some space and not fill 100% with gas otherwise when fuel heats up it starts leaking and getting pressurized.

also, when i drop the bike and its pressurised it will leak fuel a lot. This only happens on a full or semi-full tank

1 minute ago, Oxxa said:

I have the locking cap. I have to be careful, i need to leave some space and not fill 100% with gas otherwise when fuel heats up it starts leaking and getting pressurized.

also, when i drop the bike and its pressurised it will leak fuel a lot. This only happens on a full or semi-full tank

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the quick response. 

Just now, Leojb said:

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the quick response. 

Best to stick with the regular cap with the plastic hose. I threw mine. I need to buy one and they probably dont sell them as standalone

Just now, Oxxa said:

Best to stick with the regular cap with the plastic hose. I threw mine. I need to buy one and they probably dont sell them as standalone

Does anyone here not use their Acerbis tank regular cap? Can i have it? 🙂 I have the hose, missing the cap. thanks

16 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Does anyone here not use their Acerbis tank regular cap? Can i have it? 🙂 I have the hose, missing the cap. thanks

Rocky Mountain sells a replacement cap for $12.88.  I know there are at least two sizes of caps and you should double check that this is the correct one.

Shop for Fuel Tanks, like Acerbis Fuel Tank Replacement Gas Cap at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer...

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 3:25 AM, jdub53 said:

Correct. Locking the cap is optional, and I've never locked mine. I only use this cap so I can use a tankbag which sits atop the fuel cap.

20220628_135004.jpg.7de37e2b9a36183e35803ba58ab68278.jpg

So you can cover the locking gas cap and it doesn't block the venting at all? Must vent on the underside of the cap?

On 5/11/2022 at 6:55 AM, 365moto.eu said:

Hi from Italy,

I installed the acerbis tank too, and I removed the carbon choke filter (and interconnect the two hoose on the intakes).

For me is perfect !

Full view :

visione sul opnte 3.jpg

Parallel with another T7:

parallelo con Luca.jpg

Right view:

visione sul ponte2.jpg

Start motor without the choke filter:

mot.avviamento.jpg

So no issues with the larger tank and outback motortek crash bars? These crashbar companies keep telling me incompatible. They are what I'd like to go with after bending my sw motechs..

On 12/23/2022 at 7:49 AM, 365moto.eu said:

Do you have any issue with vynil ? I think that the acerbis plastic (and from all plastic tank manufacturers) are air-permeable... so if your vynil is not perforated, you'll have problems of bubbles...

Sticker update: One side always tended to bubble more than the other side, but I ended up with the leading edges lifting under aero loads and dust intrusion compromising the bond, so peeled them off after ~6 months.  I kept them as a template to make some more, but content to go black for a bit even though I lose the stock look and only show "TEN" on one side and "ERE" on the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

So no issues with the larger tank and outback motortek crash bars? These crashbar companies keep telling me incompatible. They are what I'd like to go with after bending my sw motechs..

No problem: acerbis tank and Outback motor tech.

Here some photos.

16887057622940.jpg

16887057915351.jpg

16887058359252.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

So you can cover the locking gas cap and it doesn't block the venting at all? Must vent on the underside of the cap?

I don't know where/how exactly the Acerbis locking cap vents to the atmosphere, but zero issues using a tank bag on top of the cap. I've used this cap and a Giant Loop tank bag on both my T7 and previous DR650. 

20220628_134936.jpg.772adceaf6002c111ea58b8b172f6d06.jpg20220628_134806.jpg.90d436b78fbda3241306966c2b93b62d.jpg20160730_154532.jpg.c8196bdead2205f597768c8f27314cbf.jpg

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 365moto.eu said:

No problem: acerbis tank and Outback motor tech.

Here some photos.

16887057622940.jpg

16887057915351.jpg

16887058359252.jpg

Are you able to remove and install the fairings without removing the crash bars? 

31 minutes ago, 365moto.eu said:

Yes many times.

Perfect. Thanks I think these will be my next crash bars. The Sw motech need replacement 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:02 AM, vagrant318 said:

I have both on my bike, no reason for them to be incompatible.

acerbis tank + outback motortek products = works

19 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

Are you able to remove and install the fairings without removing the crash bars? 

What diameter of rope did you use to wrap around the crash bar?

2 hours ago, Oxxa said:

What diameter of rope did you use to wrap around the crash bar?

Some really thin paracord. I started out being able to easily install and remove the fairings with the cord. After some no speed drops had to remove the cord then not at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I just built a T7 for rally use and choose the Acerbis 22/23Lt fuel tank to save some weight at the top and expand the fuel range if needed.

I read a lot of comments about fuel range but anyone checked how much fuel is left in the tank when you theoretically ran out of fuel and the bike shuts down?

I got into trouble with this in the mountains at Bosnia Rally (20km before refueling) and I checked the tank, I saw the fuel inside but the fuel pump couldn't reach it.

I looked into the tank and noticed that about 0,7 - 0,7 Lt of fuel is sitting on both sides at the bottom of the tank. (I measured it later..) Those parts of the tank are located lower than the fuel pump.. and no way to shake the fuel to the hole where the fuel pump is mounted.

Luckily I could get 1Lt fuel from an other rider which was enough to get me to the next fuel station. Otherwise I should take out the breather hose, sip out the fuel from the bottom and pour some of it carefully to the hole of the pump, and repeat this every couple of kms.

I tested it in my garage: I poured fuel to the dry empty tank and about 1,5 Lt of fuel is unreachable for the pump.

Anyone has a solution or I just have to accept that it's a failure of the Italian designers/engineers of Acerbis?

Best regards,

Tamas

Edited by crosscountryadv

3 hours ago, crosscountryadv said:

Hello Guys,

I just built a T7 for rally use and choose the Acerbis 22/23Lt fuel tank to save some weight at the top and expand the fuel range if needed.

I read a lot of comments about fuel range but anyone checked how much fuel is left in the tank when you theoretically ran out of fuel and the bike shuts down?

I got into trouble with this in the mountains at Bosnia Rally (20km before refueling) and I checked the tank, I saw the fuel inside but the fuel pump couldn't reach it.

I looked into the tank and noticed that about 0,7 - 0,7 Lt of fuel is sitting on both sides at the bottom of the tank. (I measured it later..) Those parts of the tank are located lower than the fuel pump.. and no way to shake the fuel to the hole where the fuel pump is mounted.

Luckily I could get 1Lt fuel from an other rider which was enough to get me to the next fuel station. Otherwise I should take out the breather hose, sip out the fuel from the bottom and pour some of it carefully to the hole of the pump, and repeat this every couple of kms.

I tested it in my garage: I poured fuel to the dry empty tank and about 1,5 Lt of fuel is unreachable for the pump.

Anyone has a solution or I just have to accept that it's a failure of the Italian designers/engineers of Acerbis?

Best regards,

Tamas

Looks like the sides are slightly lower than the base of the pump. Probably be ok on a slope (uphill). As you said, probably a half litre per side. 
on the upside, if you’re coasting downhill to a petrol station, you don’t need the fuel. But you do uphill.  Glass half full n all that 😁. Maybe it’s a design thing like the old SU carbs. 
you should’ve finished the last section on the rear wheel. 😂

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 1

I was searching in Google for hours and reading forum threads but nobody mentioned this issue.. 🤷‍♂️  But half litre (or more) per side seems too much. 🙈

I sent a message to Acerbis, I'll post their answer here (if I get it).

9 minutes ago, crosscountryadv said:

I was searching in Google for hours and reading forum threads but nobody mentioned this issue.. 🤷‍♂️  But half litre (or more) per side seems too much. 🙈

I sent a message to Acerbis, I'll post their answer here (if I get it).

This is good info to know, and a bit alarming as I always assumed the fuel pump would have access to all of the fuel in the Acerbis tank. If ~ 1.5 liters of fuel is unusable, my engine must have been very close to quitting during this ride when I thought I still had another 20 miles or so remaining.

20220928_083405.jpg.7f1805644d54d9a732f8fef34c988677.jpg20220928_083358.jpg.7599dc8c697277f3d2210b95f42f242d.jpg 

• Like 1

I've got the answer from Acerbis:

"we copied the same shape of the bottom parts of the Tenere original tank, so this is a problem that we can see also on the original one"

(so they knew it but didn't want to bother to improve it 🤔)

I can't confirm this because I've seen the OEM tank only until a few minutes after I received the bike, then I removed the tank along with almost everything, stripped down the whole bike to the frame and engine.. 🫣😄

but.. I will mine the original tank from our warehouse next week, just to double check, and then I try to ask Yamaha about this engineering miracle 🙃

Edited by crosscountryadv

FYI.  I rode home on an 'empty' tank and parked the bike.  A few days later it would start until I got it perfectly level.  I rode straight to the filling station and filled 19,8l.  I am sure I could have used another liter or so on the fuel splashing while riding, but the fuel pump leaked back on the side stand.  At that point only the lower corners showed fuel.  The low fuel trip meter hadn't started counting down yet. 

• Like 1