Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis Fuel Tank Upgrade

RagingBullFish

37 minutes ago, Black99S said:

Imperial gallon is 40 ounces. A British pint of beer is 20 ounces

And this may be the part where it all went wrong, measuring fluids in weight.
A pint of beer is heavier than a pint of petrol.

5 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

And this may be the part where it all went wrong, measuring fluids in weight.
A pint of beer is heavier than a pint of petrol.

Those are fluid ounces, 8 to a cup, 5 cups to an imperial quart. 4 cups to a US quart.

Not to be confused with ounces of weight, 16 ounces to a pound. Or mass in slugs. And the Brits quoting body weight in stones.

Metric is logical.
500 ml of beer is satisfying, unless it’s a Belgian Tripel - then 330ml is nursed.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

So it's even worse going beyond unlogical. 

Tell me what 17/32 of an inch is it ‘thousands of an inch…

And pass me the numbered drill set please. 

• Like 2

I picked up my 23l, that is 23000ml in metric, today.   It is the clear/natural one.  I will post pics when it is on.

Got it installed and wrapped, just need to cut out a few stickers out of vinyl to match the factory graphics.

20221217_154311[1].jpg

20221217_154149[1].jpg

20221217_154441[1].jpg

• Like 6

On 12/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, Black99S said:

Imperial gallon is 40 ounces. A British pint of beer is 20 ounces. A proper pint!

US gallon is 32 ounces. US sleeve of beer is 16, or 14, or 12 ounces and it’s called a pint.

litres is understood everywhere and a 500ml beer is a good size.

How are we supposed to mind our P's and Q's (Pints and Quarts) if we don't know what they actually measure?  Minding your 1/2 L or HL (Half Liter) doesn't work.

• Haha 1

Will be interested to see if the wrap stays on.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

2 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Will be interested to see if the wrap stays on.

Me too, but it needed to be blue to retain the factory look.  I sanded the main part of the flat surface to eliminate some of the textured finish and was originally only going to apply the wrap there, but decided to go to the line above and wrap around the contours a bit more.  It would certainly be easier to make a template of the flat surface and replace as needed.

Edited by e010584

On 12/15/2022 at 6:35 AM, katana said:

I picked up my 23l, that is 23000ml in metric, today.   It is the clear/natural one.  I will post pics when it is on.

It's a 22L according to the tag that came on mine.

7 hours ago, e010584 said:

Me too, but it needed to be blue to retain the factory look.  I sanded the main part of the flat surface to eliminate some of the textured finish and was originally only going to apply the wrap there, but decided to go to the line above and wrap around the contours a bit more.  It would certainly be easier to make a template of the flat surface and replace as needed.

Funnily enough, that’s why my tank is still in the box after 12 months🙈. Wanted to wrap it white gloss but wasn’t sure what would work.  As said above, keep us up to date on longevity etc👍

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 5:17 AM, e010584 said:

It's a 22L according to the tag that came on mine.

The Acerbis factory tag on the bag says 23L.  All the other labels say 22l.  The date code on mine is September 2022.  It is fitted now.  When I get the energy I will wheel the bike to the closest gas station.  I want to make marks for 5L, 10L, 15L and 20L.  I will tally the fill ups and give feedback.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Reading through the 5 pages of this thread, I couldn't locate where anyone has weighed the oem tank vs the Acerbis tank. Also @e010584, where'd you find the Acerbis for $300?  That's the best price I've seen so far on that.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

41 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Reading through the 5 pages of this thread, I couldn't locate where anyone has weighed the oem tank vs the Acerbis tank. Also @e010584, where'd you find the Acerbis for $300?  That's the best price I've seen so far on that.

I should have weighed it for sure as I usually do.  I was price tracking on Amazon and was ready to pull the trigger at $318, but asked the supplier for clarification on the size.  By the time I got the answer on size, the price was back up (because the other supplier was out) but I managed to find the original supplier on eBay who actually graciously gave me a discount because of missing out on the one on Amazon.  Unfortunately, they're not showing any available on their website at the moment but they deserve a shout out either way so look them up: MX Power Play out of UT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AZJW said:

OK, I didn't weigh the Acerbis tank but it is reported to weigh 7.5 lbs and it was indicated to weigh ~1.5 kg less than the stock tank.  I can't speak to either of these but weighed my stock tank (minus fuel pump and mount bracket but with fuel cap) and it came in at 10.1 lbs which is 2.6 lbs (1.2 kg)  heavier than the alleged 7.5 lbs Acerbis weight.  Although this isn't huge, the added capacity is essentially all added at the lowest CG possible for the installation as seen in the picture when comparing the stock tank in the background to the installed Acerbis tank in the foreground.  As can be seen there is much more fuel in the forward wings and likely under the entire tank when compared to the stock tank.

20221219_142834.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 12:07 PM, e010584 said:

I should have weighed it for sure as I usually do.  I was price tracking on Amazon and was ready to pull the trigger at $318, but asked the supplier for clarification on the size.  By the time I got the answer on size, the price was back up (because the other supplier was out) but I managed to find the original supplier on eBay who actually graciously gave me a discount because of missing out on the one on Amazon.  Unfortunately, they're not showing any available on their website at the moment but they deserve a shout out either way so look them up: MX Power Play out of UT.

They had it for $281.42 on their site, when I bookmarked it. I should have just bought the damn thing... 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

Do any of you that have the Acerbis tank, have the "transparent" model? I just spent 10 minutes scrolling through Google's image search results and the only 2 transparent tank pics I found were of the monumentally over-priced Safari tanks. Every single picture I've ever seen of the Acerbis on an actual bike is the black model. I like the idea of the transparent version, both to check fuel level at a glance and to minimize the heating of the fuel.

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

10 hours ago, PNGL said:

Do any of you that have the Acerbis tank, have the "transparent" model? I just spent 10 minutes scrolling through Google's image search results and the only 2 transparent tank pics I found were of the monumentally over-priced Safari tanks. Every single picture I've ever seen of the Acerbis on an actual bike is the black model. I like the idea of the transparent version, both to check fuel level at a glance and to minimize the heating of the fuel.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/motorcycle-parts/acerbis-23l-tank-tenere-700-clear.html?currency=AUD&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-oqdBhDfARIsAO0TrGGQi1o9bIjcSs4oavkR40g0ZMej5GK3gpp_tPLfALr_2RW4gvi6nFMaAvEKEALw_wcB

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.