Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis Fuel Tank Upgrade

RagingBullFish

On 12/20/2022 at 9:12 PM, e010584 said:

Stickers and vent tube done!

20221220_130113.jpg

Do you have any issue with vynil ? I think that the acerbis plastic (and from all plastic tank manufacturers) are air-permeable... so if your vynil is not perforated, you'll have problems of bubbles...

2 hours ago, 365moto.eu said:

Do you have any issue with vynil ? I think that the acerbis plastic (and from all plastic tank manufacturers) are air-permeable... so if your vynil is not perforated, you'll have problems of bubbles...

For about $5 worth of vinyl, I can redo it every so often.  Maybe I'll cut some more out in anticipation of the first change.  If it becomes too much work, I'll let it go back to black.

vlcsnap-2022-12-20-13h25m36s338.png.49becc155945692d8d584ac9808dd477.png

21,877l from empty dry after install.  I was towed to the fuel station.

vlcsnap-2022-12-29-10h07m16s744.png.a2983c7dc6725563b8ac1d000d9fef7d.png

Super handy to see the fuel level.

vlcsnap-2022-12-29-10h07m21s530.png.351fd55066c82c28125aa2a8a3e175e6.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, RagingBullFish said:

Hey all!

Just wanted to go ahead and show off the acerbis 22l tank, as theres not too many of us that have one, and for those wondering, yes i do recommend it!

Install was fairly straight forward, basically transferring the old hardware over to the new tank. 

As far as weight goes, i dont notice really anything more than a stock full tank feels, i have not noticed sloshing or any weight shifting in that aspect. I think someone had done the math with taking off the stock tank and going with plastic, it was maybe a plus 7lbs gain for an extra 1.8 gallons! not bad i say. 

Obviously i have to get more graphics to match my ones i had, but overall i like it, its not overly ugly like some of them can be on the old school aftermarket big tanks. 

I also do not notice it being any wider at my knees, or while standing. 

very small things i didnt like were just the new gaps in the plastics and the tank, but its really not noticeable unless you look hard (or if its your own bike you scrutinize over!) Some of the bolts on the new tank had to be moved around slightly to get them to line up on the tank

I do have plenty other pictures, so if youre thinking about getting one and need to see something, let me know. I was also on the fence about getting one, but it was easy to put on, and its really not any bulkier than the stock tank IMO

Also, i ordered mine from Motostorm website, they shipped it from Italy, to me in colorado USA in less than 5 days no joke, awesome stuff!

my price including shipping to the US, $416 dollars. 

Cheers!

Edit: sorry for the non rotated pics, not sure how to edit that

image2.jpegimage2.jpeg.180ffa9fe61769b9abeb8e79935d6eae.jpeg

image15.jpeg

IMG_8745.jpg

image7.jpeg

Just put this same tank on.  I notice the slightest vapor smell coming from the tank - I’ve read the porous material does that’s and it’s normal.  I work from home in my garage, and workout in there.  Im wondering if the fumes are harmful if im near the bike so often?  I didn’t expect any smell.

I also had an issue with locking cap I bought.  I covered it with my tank bag and woke up to spilled gas all over the tank and on/in my bag.  I was pretty annoyed.

• 1 month later...

Hello. I've got a question to you guys. Did anyone weigh the tank after transferring the hardware, and compared to stock yamaha tank ? I am really curious about the weight difference of empty tank. Is it really lighter ?

Also, is it compatible with barkbusters handguards? 

Edited by blazoPL

45 minutes ago, blazoPL said:

Hello. I've got a question to you guys. Did anyone weigh the tank after transferring the hardware, and compared to stock yamaha tank ? I am really curious about the weight difference of empty tank. Is it really lighter ?

Also, is it compatible with barkbusters handguards? 

Someone else will be along with the actual numbers, but the Acerbis is definitely lighter than the OEM tank. Easily felt while holding each tank.

Because of my preferred positioning of the OEM handlebars, the Barkbuster clamps on my bike contacted the Acerbis tank at full lock on both sides. I tried numerous solutions including rotating the bars way forward, but finally went instead with Highway Dirt Bike handguards which eliminated the problem and I sold the Barkbusters. Easy solution which I should have done right away. Here's my post on the BB interference from page 1 of this thread: 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/4805-acerbis-fuel-tank-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=56934

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

I weighed the stock tank at 10lb, my natural Acerbis weighed 6lb 15 oz - A savings of 3lb 1oz

It does weigh more full of fuel, but that's a choice I get to make and I can top it off when I need the 300 mile range.

I wish I had weighed in grams but I forget to do that.

It's a substantial difference in empty weight, I tossed the cannister at the same time to save another pound.

Bumping this to see if anyone has installed the "Clear" version yet, or any pics of one??

Screenshot_20230327-091449.png

Edited by Stevoh

2 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Bumping this to see if anyone has installed the "Clear" version yet, or any pics of one??

Screenshot_20230327-091449.png

@katana posted a couple pictures of one of these mounted just a couple posts up from yours: 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, e010584 said:

Got it installed and wrapped, just need to cut out a few stickers out of vinyl to match the factory graphics.

20221217_154311[1].jpg

20221217_154149[1].jpg

20221217_154441[1].jpg

Out of interest, @e010584, what wrap have you used? I might try the gloss white version and see how it goes, with speedblocks over it. 

6 hours ago, Dougie said:

Out of interest, @e010584, what wrap have you used? I might try the gloss white version and see how it goes, with speedblocks over it. 

Just plain old vinyl wrap (Oracal permanent).  Holding up for the most part, but next iteration won't wrap around any edges, instead just covering the main surface on each side, perhaps with some kind of edge sealing.  No sign of any bubbling there.

Going to do a speed block design on my baby Tenere (WR250X/R) next.

Attached is the design I was looking to do, if you need inspiration for your design (mine is blue).

wr250r-wr250x-retro-yamaha-tank-graphics-20.jpeg

wr250r-wr250x-retro-yamaha-tank-graphics-22.jpeg

Edited by e010584
Added info
  • Like 1

Was someone looking for a photo of the natural tank?

20230402_151036.jpg

Edit - I added the lines: one for each gallon as I added them.

Edited by Bruincounselor
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 1:38 AM, RagingBullFish said:

Great questions, 

I have taken it offroad quite a bit, (not just a gravel road. Hard fast double track roads) however as soon as I get to the trails around me I’m right at the same weight as I would be when full with the stock tank, therefore I don’t notice it *as much*, but I will bring some extra with me next time just to see if it’s bad, I do stand and sit fairly equally off-road so I may have a different feel for the bike, and I’m tall anyways. 
the fuel hose on the cap does go to the charcoal canister and if you deleted that then I would think you can just to those small flush mount vents for dirt bikes. It may leak when on its side of course but, that’s a trade off. 
i am looking into the tank bags, I would think a smaller one would fit behind the gas cap rather than on it like most stock tank set ups. 
Acerbis does make a lockable cap for this but I have not ordered one, I may soon. 

i will try the pic update! I’ll see if I can add them on mobile as well. 
thanks! 

3F172A7D-E7B4-4890-B884-9D234D66CEB7.jpeg
edit: got a tank bag on it, it’s a givi 6l 

D70607BA-3033-42C7-85F0-2F35B273134F.jpeg

I am looking to purchase this tank and need to ask about the hose because I am not sure if I understand clearly. Why does it have a hose? The OEM tank doesn’t have it so why should this? And is it deletable 100% or a mod should be made. Thank you

1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

I am looking to purchase this tank and need to ask about the hose because I am not sure if I understand clearly. Why does it have a hose? The OEM tank doesn’t have it so why should this? And is it deletable 100% or a mod should be made. Thank you

All fuel tanks have a breather/vent hose or else the system would vacuum lock as fuel is used. The T7's OEM vent hose is underneath the tank and not readily visible, reference item 4 below.

The Acerbis tank vents at the cap only, so your choices are to 1) run a vent hose from the cap to the bike's evaporative canister (where the OEM tank's hose attaches), 2) run a vent hose to somewhere else so it vents to the atmosphere, 3) use no vent hose at all (vent nipple on the cap will be open), or 4) use the Acerbis internally vented locking cap which requires no hose.

T7FuelSystem.jpg.0bb24abd3834642ed9d206ef6d5816fe.jpg  

2 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

All fuel tanks have a breather/vent hose or else the system would vacuum lock as fuel is used. The T7's OEM vent hose is underneath the tank and not readily visible, reference item 4 below.

The Acerbis tank vents at the cap only, so your choices are to 1) run a vent hose from the cap to the bike's evaporative canister (where the OEM tank's hose attaches), 2) run a vent hose to somewhere else so it vents to the atmosphere, 3) use no vent hose at all (vent nipple on the cap will be open), or 4) use the Acerbis internally vented locking cap which requires no hose.

T7FuelSystem.jpg.0bb24abd3834642ed9d206ef6d5816fe.jpg  

So if I buy the locking cap from Acerbis its vented without that hose and doesnt spill when bike is dropped?

Just now, Oxxa said:

So if I buy the locking cap from Acerbis its vented without that hose and doesnt spill when bike is dropped?

Correct. Locking the cap is optional, and I've never locked mine. I only use this cap so I can use a tankbag which sits atop the fuel cap.

20220628_135004.jpg.7de37e2b9a36183e35803ba58ab68278.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

Correct. Locking the cap is optional, and I've never locked mine. I only use this cap so I can use a tankbag which sits atop the fuel cap.

20220628_135004.jpg.7de37e2b9a36183e35803ba58ab68278.jpg

Great thanks. Offtopic question… did you get the rally raid bar riser because you bent the oem riser?

40 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Great thanks. Offtopic question… did you get the rally raid bar riser because you bent the oem riser?

No, I bought the bike used and the P.O. had installed the RR one-piece upper clamp as a mounting point for his GPS. That and the Barkbusters have since been replaced with HDB set-up which I really like.

20221109_130153.jpg.d1fb5c692f6fe9945a7f8f357c1cdf1b.jpg 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, jdub53 said:

No, I bought the bike used and the P.O. had installed the RR one-piece upper clamp as a mounting point for his GPS. That and the Barkbusters have since been replaced with HDB set-up which I really like.

20221109_130153.jpg.d1fb5c692f6fe9945a7f8f357c1cdf1b.jpg 

Edited: I have another question if i may

will the gas meter on the dashboard work with the acerbis tank? Will i get accurate readings of the gas level in the tank. Thanks

Edited by Oxxa

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Oxxa said:

I have another question if i may. Is it possible to not lock the tank cap therefore no need to carry around the extra key of the tank cap? Will the cap stay in place without the keylock?

and, will the gas meter on the dashboard work with the acerbis tank? Will i get accurate readings of the gas level in the tank. Thanks

Dude,  no offense, but you are posting questions before reading the exact thread you're posting in. Your question was answered directly above one of your posts on page 6 of this thread.

• Thanks 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

Dude,  no offense, but you are posting questions before reading the exact thread you're posting in. Your question was answered directly above one of your posts on page 6 of this thread.

Oops sorry i misread that answer 

12 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Edited: I have another question if i may

will the gas meter on the dashboard work with the acerbis tank? Will i get accurate readings of the gas level in the tank. Thanks

On my bike with the Acerbis tank, the fuel guage shows completely full until the fuel level drops to the same level as where the first bar disappeared with the OEM tank, and then the guage functions exactly as it did with the OEM tank. So yes, the gauge is as accurate as it was before once that level is reached.

• Thanks 1