Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Totti

Center stand comparison

Recommended Posts

Totti

Thinking of which center stand to buy? The Yamaha oem, SW Motech, Hepco&Becker, etc...

Can You please tell me the pros and cons of the center stand that You have on Your bike.

Anything in the functionality that You may have noticed? 

I still have the original bash plate but thinking of buying a better one somewhere in the distant future.

And will not be installing any side pannier racks.

So if You know any combatibility issues that would be nice to know too.


"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boboneleg

I have the Yamaha centre stand, it's easy to get the bike up on it but it looks pretty awful and sticks out on the side a fair bit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erey

SW-Motech. A little less expensive than the Yam.

 

Easy installation (smart for the spring). Strong. No issue with the Side Stand (with an extension).

 

Easy to lift the bike.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Totti

I think that I will go with Hepco & Becker's center  stand, it looks a bit simple and lighter than the SW Motech.

H&B.jpg

Swmotech.jpg

  • Like 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WalterT

Any experiences off road with these yet? The sw motechs on my Tiger 800 kept bouncing up and down at the slightest bump with audible "klunks". Very annoying, I strapped them down anytime I went off smooth tarmac..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ADVUSA
11 hours ago, Totti said:

I think that I will go with Hepco & Becker's center  stand, it looks a bit simple and lighter than the SW Motech.

H&B.jpg

Swmotech.jpg

Hebco and Becker weighs "3.8kg". The design seems a bit simpler than the Yamaha OEM.

 

Anyone know how much the Yamaha OEM center stand weighs?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bth2

i went with hepco & beker. happy with it. easy to get on stand.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Motoadventure

Good Choice the Yam one came without any instructions and was an epic to fit without them.  Some kind chap posted some on the forum which was a great help. 

 

Cheers Mick  

IMG_6019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazmool
Posted (edited)

Might be a silly question, 
But are there, or will there be any aluminium or titanium center stands available? 
The center stand is a very good thing to have, but I'm really trying to keep the weight off the bike as much as possible. 

 

Tazmool

Edited by Tazmool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TimmyTheHog
On 1/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, Tazmool said:

Might be a silly question, 
But are there, or will there be any aluminium or titanium center stands available? 
The center stand is a very good thing to have, but I'm really trying to keep the weight off the bike as much as possible. 

 

Tazmool

I do not know anyone made those,

 

However, since Titanium is strong but brittle at room temperature, so it might not good for shock load.

Also you would require more of aluminium to achieve the same strength as steel, so while it MIGHT be lighter but def will be larger in size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tazmool

I think with the right metallurgy either titanium and aluminium would offer good weight savings over steel. 
The bike already has an aluminium side stand, (in '15 the Super Tenere went from a steel side stand to an aluminium one to save weight)  
Lots of examples of motorcycle frames havin gone to aluminium from steel to save weight, cost being the main reason why a manufacturer would go back to steel.  

Just fishing for ways to save weight.

 

Tazmool

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
X Plane
4 hours ago, Tazmool said:

I think with the right metallurgy either titanium and aluminium would offer good weight savings over steel. 
The bike already has an aluminium side stand, (in '15 the Super Tenere went from a steel side stand to an aluminium one to save weight)  
Lots of examples of motorcycle frames havin gone to aluminium from steel to save weight, cost being the main reason why a manufacturer would go back to steel.  

Just fishing for ways to save weight.

 

Tazmool

 

 

Most of the bikes weight goes through a main stand and there are big leverage pivoting forces on getting the bike up on to the main stand; aluminium bends far to easy that is why main stands are made from steel and not aluminium. A Side stand is different as it is only compression leant on. Titanium is a mega super expensive metal and a difficult metal to work. For weight saving no main stand = zero weight gain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahamay
On 1/7/2020 at 6:27 AM, Motoadventure said:

Good Choice the Yam one came without any instructions and was an epic to fit without them.  Some kind chap posted some on the forum which was a great help. 

 

Cheers Mick  

 

Mick, I like that your bike is properly dirty.

 

Do you find the Yamaha centerstand flops and clanks going over the rough roads?

 

Does it protrude too obtrusively cornering, etc?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TimmyTheHog
19 hours ago, Tazmool said:

I think with the right metallurgy either titanium and aluminium would offer good weight savings over steel. 
The bike already has an aluminium side stand, (in '15 the Super Tenere went from a steel side stand to an aluminium one to save weight)  
Lots of examples of motorcycle frames havin gone to aluminium from steel to save weight, cost being the main reason why a manufacturer would go back to steel.  

Just fishing for ways to save weight.

 

Tazmool

 

 

Well, guess someone can engineer one...I would get one if there is a gain 👍🏻😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manny

I put a Yamaha center stand on mine and it does clunk on landing from jumping, in hindsight I should have brought one of the other brands as the Yamaha item looks a bit agricultural.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
3 hours ago, manny said:

I put a Yamaha center stand on mine and it does clunk on landing from jumping, in hindsight I should have brought one of the other brands as the Yamaha item looks a bit agricultural.

Hmmm. I've got a Yamaha one too, but not "off-roaded" it since I fitted it. I guess you could tie-wrap it up when off roading, and then snip the wraps off if you need the centre-stand on the trail i.e. only if you're unlucky enough to get a flat.

 

Be interesting to know if the other centre-stands are lighter. I think the quality of the Yamaha stand is pretty high and it's essentially bullet proof. You can get on the bike on the centre-stand (should you wish), without even a wobble.

 

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeever

The one from Hepco Becker has a shorter push rod. Yamaha’s is very sweeping what could be a disadvantage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Motoadventure
On 1/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, ahamay said:

 

Mick, I like that your bike is properly dirty.

 

Do you find the Yamaha centerstand flops and clanks going over the rough roads?

 

Does it protrude too obtrusively cornering, etc?

Hi No just done over 1000 miles on trails in the Pyrenees and it was fine no clanging about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
1 hour ago, Motoadventure said:

Hi No just done over 1000 miles on trails in the Pyrenees and it was fine no clanging about. 

Great to know😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.