Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Exhaust, is it ok? anyone try one yet? Ever hear of Huzar exhausts?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Howdy, 

Has anyone mounted a high exit exhaust on their T7? 
Any heat issues?  any problems with the exhaust being so close to the plastic tail section? 

There seem to be some up-front disadvantages to a high exit exhaust, raised center of gravity (although counterweighed, by a lower weight of the system) and possible hot pipe proximity to luggage and the tail section.  
However, the part that appeals the most to me is the out of the way exhaust, so in the event of the inevitable tip-over, the exhaust will not be damaged, and or scrap the swingarm  (this is something that full-on dirtbikes use as a design rule) 

One such exhaust is the Huzar brand:
This is the high exhaust, no db killers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xrhMSvdWg

This is the std exit exhaust, with both db-killers in (I love the sound, quiet is good for long rides in my book)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X62qOjLRg4

They also claim that with their dual (inlet & outlet) db killers, the exhaust is 2db quieter than stock?   (I wonder if power output is lowered?) 

Anyways, any ideas, experiences welcome.
Has anyone used or know anyone to use the Huzar brand?  

I'm thinking of ordering one for my up and coming T7.

Thx!

Tazmool

• Like 1

To fit the high version, you'll need to cut into the plastic bodywork (what I Read on their website). 

If I calculate the price correctly (630 polish zloties), that's 150€ /130£ / 180$... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Adi Torpan said:

Can someone make this ?

I can see 2 issues with that setup. 1st is what do you you do with the end of the exhaust bracket, cut it off?

2nd, you can't fit a tail tidy because of the right blinker location.

I do like the look of high exhausts better though. 

• Like 1

this could be a custom job project ... and the pipe is identical to ... the Huzar one.

image.thumb.png.fcf850a0f47c0cd4585f5604f7e9b6f0.png 

... at the end of the day it's 2*90deg elbow pipes with a straight pipe that should go into a low profile exhaust hung high.

I think this still needs some heat protection  especially down low where your boots would be when standing next to the bike.

The existing exhaust bracket can be converted to a soft baguage mount point so it does not have to be removed.

• Premium Member

Despite some of the drawbacks, to me a high exit exhaust seems to make a lot of sense on a bike like the Tenere 700.  
Dual sport Bikes meant for real off roading (WR250R for example) have high exit exhausts for the reason of *when* you tip over, the pipe is high up and protected (the WR even routes the link pipe out of the way to keep it out of harms way, and away from you when the bike is laying on your leg)

The video in previous replies shows the flaw in having a low level exhaust on a bike likely to tip-over, the hanger bends in (when tipped onto the exhaust ) and the swingarm rubs the link pipe, damaging the pipe and swing-arm...  

I figured I might as well check out the Huzar pipe, and with out much fuss the pipe arrived. 

I ordered the High exit, long 50cm stainless steel version, powder coated black (all options included) 
With shipping to Canada, all fees, it was less than 200 Euros.

The fit and finish looks good, materials appear to be strong (thick material walls)  this is the heaviest version, yet the pipe is not heavy. 

Huzar-01.thumb.jpg.0f4d5b2ed72236501e2fcc44456197ed.jpg

The 50cm muffler, link pipe, dual-db killers, and all hardware weigh in at 6lbs 7.25oz

The muffler itself has a Huzar sticker, which thanfully is very easy to remove (you also get 3 more spare stickers in the box) 
I very much prefer the clean no-logo look (the hzr cut out in the cap-ends are ok with me, subtle) 

Huzar-02.thumb.jpg.6628489129c7680aac3f29103507fca0.jpg

Muffler alone is 3lbs 14oz  (pretty good, a stainless steel Scorpion slip-on muffler for my R6 weigs 3lbs 12oz, and is physically smaller than this 50cm pipe) 

Huzar-03.thumb.jpg.513958b1727d4b6c19731ab83d06ef52.jpg

Link pipe alone is 2lbs 2.75oz
This pipe alone may have potential for use with other mufflers as well (I wonder if the oem yamaha pipe will be able to be attached to this link pipe, just curious) 

Huzar-04.thumb.jpg.0514671109039a5c0862e46b96eecc4f.jpg

The dual dB killers.  6.26oz   
The exit dB killer (pipe on the left) looks to be an industry standard design I've seen on many pipes. 

The inlet dB killer ..... (the roud disc with 4 holes in it)  ....  must be some kind of compliance part?!?  its ridiculously restrictive (many years ago in my engineering classes we bench flowed several opening options, and a hole in a flat plate was hands down one of the most restrictive)  Huzar claims that with both dB killers installed, their exhaust is 2dB quieter than stock.... so if you need to pass some kind of sound test, do so, then promptly remove the restriction, this is the purpose of the inlet dB killer?

This summer, if I have the opportunity, I would like to dyno the bike with the stock exhaust, and this pipe, with dB killers in and out.   I think the outlet dB killer will be ok, probably around the same hp output as the stock pipe.  With the inlet, I would not be surprised if there was a slight power loss vs oem.

All in all, for the cost, I am very happy with the purchase so far. 
The T7 for me is a step in the right direction for the mid-ADV market, a bike that is back to basics, relatively light, and if its not adorned with expensive aftermarket add-ons, it won't be too expensive to tip-over, meaning that you won't be too worried about riding the bike hard, using it as a TOOL for your adventures. 

After all, riding, living your life, having fun, its all part of the experience, the bike is just a tool. 

The little pile of parts for my (pre-ordered) T7 is growing 🙂

Once I install this pipe, I'll report my updated impressions then.

If anyone has the inclination, would you mind removing and weighing the oem muffler and link pipe? 
I'm guessing this pipe is about 4-5lbs lighter than stock? 

Tazmool

Huzar-06.jpg

Edited by Tazmool
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Always curious how the turn signal and tail would fair with the exhaust so close to it with the high mount style.

image.thumb.png.04ca70a7244c6bc3c0417f1bd5d1776c.png

I know some GS guys have their turn signal melted due to the fact the pipe was blowing right at it.

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

Combined with a tidy tail. Does the T7 Rally or others word better together? As the turn signals are now in a different location?

As it seems to me, having the lights all together. And the exhaust somewhere below would be very functional

Tazmool, thanks for sharing this information. I note that your silencer looks more traditional, and Black, compared to the chrome one from MGG?  do they offer both?

My plan

is to raise, and shrink the corner lights. So 1” by 1” or a day-old baby’s hand, as it were

so at level with the tail light. And fit under the tail of the seat.

Heed rear bash guard

and exhaust under that, above and inside of wheel and stock exhaust hanger

I believe it would go straight up (as that’s my fav saying) straight up

then a 90, into exhaust. And a titch of a down on the exit of the exhausts tail pipe

word up

• Premium Member

Huzar offers a polished stainless steel version like in the videos above, and a powder coated black version like I have in my photos.  Hope that helps open1mind.

Tazmool

• Like 1

hard to tell from your pic (unmounted) vs the pic in stainless from MGG, but is that the same can size and design?  The shiney one looks longer/thinner.

thanks

On 2/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, Tazmool said:

Despite some of the drawbacks, to me a high exit exhaust seems to make a lot of sense on a bike like the Tenere 700.  
Dual sport Bikes meant for real off roading (WR250R for example) have high exit exhausts for the reason of *when* you tip over, the pipe is high up and protected (the WR even routes the link pipe out of the way to keep it out of harms way, and away from you when the bike is laying on your leg)

So, how do you route the link pipe on the T7 like the WR250R is routed?

I am still unsure of the normal “low” exhaust.

I suspect, the reason it is there. Is because of panniers or side rack systems.

I am not planning on weighing the back end much.

what other opinions are out there for Yamaha’s reason to have the exhaust so far out, and down. As it will obviously be affected if the bike falls

• 3 weeks later...

I was chatting with the guy at Huzar.

Asked him about the Black vs SS, also about the 400mm vs 500mm.

He says that if you order the 400mm, The leadpipe is 100mm longer than the leadpipe for the 500mm.

He went further to state that if you want a tail tidy or otherwise slightly lower exit point, you can buy the shorter leadpipe with the shorter muffler and the exit will be lower, aimed pretty much at the original siglight location, but not at a tailtidy siglight location. 😉 The pipe size is common to most mufflers so you can use something else as seen in the 'MGG' picture in this thread. My biggest concern that is keeping me from purchasing is will it burn my boot ? A heat sheild would maybe be nice?

Edited by DoYouLikeItHere

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the High Huzar exhaust yet? Can you please post some feedback. Not sure how it sounds with  inlet baffle removal. It's the ONLY  currertly available aftermarket exhaust that seems to make real sense to me. 

1. Inexpensive 

2. Light 

3. Offroad sensible, less likely to be damaged in a tip over.

The Akrapovic muffler is about $1200Au. What do you get for that? A little bit lighter, not really better sound! 1 hp power gain, probably at 9500rpm. If it's that good, power curves comparison charts would have been made available. Fall over in the Carpark and it's got dented alongside your ego. Personally NO BANG FOR THE BUCK! To me that is the story for most other brands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, Tazmool said:

The video in previous replies shows the flaw in having a low level exhaust on a bike likely to tip-over, the hanger bends in (when tipped onto the exhaust ) and the swingarm rubs the link pipe, damaging the pipe and swing-arm...  

I figured I might as well check out the Huzar pipe, and with out much fuss the pipe arrived. 

I ordered the High exit, long 50cm stainless steel version, powder coated black (all options included) 
With shipping to Canada, all fees, it was less than 200 Euros.

The fit and finish looks good, materials appear to be strong (thick material walls)  this is the heaviest version, yet the pipe is not heavy. 

Huzar-01.thumb.jpg.0f4d5b2ed72236501e2fcc44456197ed.jpg

The 50cm muffler, link pipe, dual-db killers, and all hardware weigh in at 6lbs 7.25oz

The muffler itself has a Huzar sticker, which thanfully is very easy to remove (you also get 3 more spare stickers in the box) 
I very much prefer the clean no-logo look (the hzr cut out in the cap-ends are ok with me, subtle) 

Huzar-02.thumb.jpg.6628489129c7680aac3f29103507fca0.jpg

Muffler alone is 3lbs 14oz  (pretty good, a stainless steel Scorpion slip-on muffler for my R6 weigs 3lbs 12oz, and is physically smaller than this 50cm pipe) 

Huzar-03.thumb.jpg.513958b1727d4b6c19731ab83d06ef52.jpg

Link pipe alone is 2lbs 2.75oz
This pipe alone may have potential for use with other mufflers as well (I wonder if the oem yamaha pipe will be able to be attached to this link pipe, just curious) 

Huzar-04.thumb.jpg.0514671109039a5c0862e46b96eecc4f.jpg

The dual dB killers.  6.26oz   
The exit dB killer (pipe on the left) looks to be an industry standard design I've seen on many pipes. 

The inlet dB killer ..... (the roud disc with 4 holes in it)  ....  must be some kind of compliance part?!?  its ridiculously restrictive (many years ago in my engineering classes we bench flowed several opening options, and a hole in a flat plate was hands down one of the most restrictive)  Huzar claims that with both dB killers installed, their exhaust is 2dB quieter than stock.... so if you need to pass some kind of sound test, do so, then promptly remove the restriction, this is the purpose of the inlet dB killer?

This summer, if I have the opportunity, I would like to dyno the bike with the stock exhaust, and this pipe, with dB killers in and out.   I think the outlet dB killer will be ok, probably around the same hp output as the stock pipe.  With the inlet, I would not be surprised if there was a slight power loss vs oem.

All in all, for the cost, I am very happy with the purchase so far. 
The T7 for me is a step in the right direction for the mid-ADV market, a bike that is back to basics, relatively light, and if its not adorned with expensive aftermarket add-ons, it won't be too expensive to tip-over, meaning that you won't be too worried about riding the bike hard, using it as a TOOL for your adventures. 

After all, riding, living your life, having fun, its all part of the experience, the bike is just a tool. 

The little pile of parts for my (pre-ordered) T7 is growing 🙂

Once I install this pipe, I'll report my updated impressions then.

If anyone has the inclination, would you mind removing and weighing the oem muffler and link pipe? 
I'm guessing this pipe is about 4-5lbs lighter than stock? 

Tazmool

Huzar-06.jpg

Yes, how did the installation go?

On 2/7/2020 at 12:04 PM, TE700 said:

So, how do you route the link pipe on the T7 like the WR250R is routed?

You cant on the t7 no room. On the 250r the exhaust comes around the cylinder and behind the frame it doesn't come from undre the bike. The motor on the T7 is to big to route exhaust like the 250r. 

15920937291447530478189790460371.jpg

I've been in contact with Huzar trying to buy this exhaust but I"m being told they don't sell to the USA due to some issue with not being able to handle returns cost effectively.  Website is good but doesn't go into much detail on that.  I did manage to convince them I'd pay for return shipping if a return was needed but I don't expect to.  Due to COVID-19, there aren't any flights from the EU to USA for shipping.  The EU did open that up a few days ago so I'm just waiting for that hurdle to clear for them to contact me to order one.

J

yes i am waiting for air shipping to open up as well....... 

500mm black high. I'm going to Wrap the pipe with header tape.

Edited by DoYouLikeItHere

3 hours ago, DoYouLikeItHere said:

yes i am waiting for air shipping to open up as well....... 

500mm black high. I'm going to Wrap the pipe with header tape.

I was thinking the same thing with wrapping but I may go with the  Header guard from ALtRider or Touratech.

J