Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Exhaust, is it ok? anyone try one yet? Ever hear of Huzar exhausts?

Tazmool

On two different bikes I've owned I thought the rear signals were OK brightness-wise, until I swapped bikes with a friend and then saw my signals for myself in action on a sunny day. The signals were changed out for LEDs that could actually be seen immediately.

I'd advise don't trust what looks OK to you with the bike in your garage. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zebco Kid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rosok, The brightness is adequate. I don’t think they’re quite as recognizable as the amber housing, but they’re good enough.

They do blink fast, but I’ve purchased the relay from Camel ADV to return the  blink rate to what we expect…meaning less annoying!

To be honest with you, this blinker thing was a bit of a domino effect problem for me. I purchased the Huzar exhaust, which move the exhaust flow into the path of the turn signal. I don’t think that would have been a problem with the original tail light setup. However, the Tail Tidy brought the signals too close to the exhaust, which then began the domino effect of melting, etc.

I actually like the OEM turn signals. I think they look fine on the bike. If I were to do it over again, I’d still go with the Huzar, as it is there for good damage prevention reasons. The Tail Tidy was purely aesthetic, and led to a lot of unnecessary hassle and some expense.

As far as the signals not being recognizable enough when activated…I don’t depend on anyone seeing me ever, whether it’s a car or a bike.

B506DBB1-245C-4A08-B831-E9B16E373028.jpeg
with lights on. 

B6E45AED-690B-4D1E-9098-52DCAFD98EB3.jpeg
in total darkness 

Nice, they definitely seem as bright as you stock rear light, at least in the pics.  Thanks.

It's cloudy and wintery today, but this is outside on the street with the cheap Amazon knockoffs (I'd order from TST if you're in the states as they're still cheap but also have the Yamaha adapters and flasher relay etc):

https://youtu.be/X1eAFaV66bE

One more touch. Had some sort of heat shield to protect my boot from the Huzar. The shield was rigged with found parts. It worked but it wasn’t super tight. I decided to wrap and paint. Looks great, works great. Still need to remove some gasket “debris”. 556947AF-61B6-499D-81BA-DCB2A0722EB7.jpeg.46854d8200cceac14c5a720a10a5f7d3.jpeg

B3810B14-FA9C-4247-96C3-FAA81381174E.jpeg.4690fbc43115a95943b04e78c358dfff.jpeg

39CB85E4-3C36-48A7-A302-EC413E4B95C5.jpeg.ab0729e0185b9e9326cc50aa9cfee2c5.jpeg

Edited by Zebco Kid

That was my approach too.  I didn't coat mine though, just used a bit of leftover wrap from an old project.  I've scuffed mine up a bit, so will likely replace it with an actual heat shield at some point in the future, but the wrap works fine for now.

• 3 months later...
On 1/15/2023 at 7:27 AM, Zebco Kid said:

One more touch. Had some sort of heat shield to protect my boot from the Huzar. The shield was rigged with found parts. It worked but it wasn’t super tight. I decided to wrap and paint. Looks great, works great. Still need to remove some gasket “debris”. 556947AF-61B6-499D-81BA-DCB2A0722EB7.jpeg.46854d8200cceac14c5a720a10a5f7d3.jpeg

B3810B14-FA9C-4247-96C3-FAA81381174E.jpeg.4690fbc43115a95943b04e78c358dfff.jpeg

39CB85E4-3C36-48A7-A302-EC413E4B95C5.jpeg.ab0729e0185b9e9326cc50aa9cfee2c5.jpeg

Were you able to wrap it without taking the midpipe off?  Everything is all perfectly back together, but my boot got burned big time yesterday.

6 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

Were you able to wrap it without taking the midpipe off?  Everything is all perfectly back together, but my boot got burned big time yesterday.

I did: 

image.jpeg.51ef489d1df89340ebd634492340e910.jpeg

Was easy enough to do on the bike, though I didn't paint mine, just wrapped it.  It's survived a year and a half of abuse relatively ok.  Wearing a bit where you can see in the photo, but it's fine.  

Hello EddyLindenstein,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So, I did have to take the entire pipe off in order to wrap the section that would come in contact with my boot. That's really not a big deal, although certainly more bolts than I would prefer.

I did 5 days in Baja, and by the time I returned home, the exact spot where my boot comes in contact with the pipe was in tatters. And that was after wrapping it well, and spraying it with plenty of silicone coating. I think that the coating and wrap aren't really designed for abrasion.

My solution will be to go to a welder friend of mine and have him fabricate and attach a permanent heat shield. This is not something I want to think about with any regularity. And...I certainly don't want to melt part of my boot or riding pants.

BTW...I did see a note above about a solution with the OEM heat shield, modified for the Huzar. I might give that a whirl before engaging a custom weld.

ZK

Edited by Zebco Kid

16 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I did: 

image.jpeg.51ef489d1df89340ebd634492340e910.jpeg

Was easy enough to do on the bike, though I didn't paint mine, just wrapped it.  It's survived a year and a half of abuse relatively ok.  Wearing a bit where you can see in the photo, but it's fine.  

Solid.  I don't have any of the spray - it looks like you used some?  

12 minutes ago, Zebco Kid said:

Hello EddyLindenstein,

Thank you for your inquiry.

So, I did have to take the entire pipe off in order to wrap the section that would come in contact with my boot. That's really not a big deal, although certainly more bolts than I would prefer.

I did 5 days in Baja, and by the time I returned home, the exact spot where my boot comes in contact with the pipe was in tatters. And that was after wrapping it well, and spraying it with plenty of silicone coating. I think that the coating and wrap aren't really designed for abrasion.

My solution will be to go to a welder friend of mine and have him fabricate and attach a permanent heat shield. This is not something I want to think about with any regularity. And...I certainly don't want to melt part of my boot or riding pants.

BTW...I did see a note above about a solution with the OEM heat shield, modified for the Huzar. I might give that a whirl before engaging a custom weld.

ZK

Yeah I was looking at that piece, it doesn't look PERFECT, but it looks fine.  I actually wasn't coming in contact with the pipe on my boot, I think it was just the radiant heat was still really hot, so even if the stock shield protrudes a little, it might not be a big deal for me.

EddyLindenstein,

It's not just the boot. A couple times I've simply placed my foot on the ground. Then...all of the sudden...I feel some sort of "bite" or something. I realize it's the heat of the pipe passing through my pant leg. Ouch! It would be nice if Huzar created a little something for that since they know the specific bike on which it is being used.

ZK

4 hours ago, eddylindenstein said:

Solid.  I don't have any of the spray - it looks like you used some?  

No spray, just wrapped with some of the regular Amazon pipe wrap, clamped on with a couple standard worm drive hose clamps as those steel zip ties never work well for me.   Leftover stuff from another project, IIRC this stuff: 

Here I am posting the heat shield answer one more time! Zoom in on the exhaust. All you need is a couple hose clamps.

IMG_6003.JPG

Sracer, Thank you for posting one more time. I’m sure it’s not the last. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated. 

With your help , I went into the garage and looked at my OEM muffler. It had a shield for the catalytic converter, as I believe it’s the he “European Version”. I had two hose clamps. This is a rough fit. I think it will be great. 

IMG_2990.jpeg.3d5bb9a18bdbc47ee9e58d9cc020e060.jpeg

• Like 1

I too started out with the small heat shield from the OEM muffler on my Huzar mid-pipe, but on the first ride found that it stuck out too far and didn't allow my heel to tuck in when I slid my feet back on the pegs during spirited pavement cornering.

20220102_090636.jpg.4b36dc0ddd945c6508c2f63793f5e446.jpg

Next I tried wrapping that section of the mid-pipe which worked perfectly for me (didn't have to remove the mid-pipe to wrap), but soon found my heel was rubbing a hole through the wrap at a single contact point exactly as others have stated above (not visible in this picture)

20220218_111347.jpg.9e5b46de244646f08c9d3084015fb8d4.jpg

Instead of constantly rewrapping the mid-pipe to fix the rubbed spot, I just installed a hose clamp

that covers that small contact point and now my heel only touches that spot on the hose clamp (can be seen if you zoom in a bit on the below pic). In hindsight and with this knowledge now, I'd only have had to wrap a very small area of the mid-pipe since that's the only place my heel has ever contacted. The width of the wrap would be sufficient (maybe just two times around with the wrap, with a clamp over my contact spot), and maybe I'll redo that one of these days.

20230405_131617.jpg.757c329d44329dd2455c21092f21f6bb.jpg

Edited by jdub53

Facebook-share-image.jpg

Browse our range of carbon fibre enduro parts, custom built to protect your Husqvarna FE 250. From bashplates to...

One possible option is to fit a 4 stroke dirt bike bomb guard.

Pro Carbon in the UK do some nice trick universal guards that might fit, l’m sure you could find something similar State side from someone like P3 Carbon.

If you scroll down on the link you can see the universal guards.

Perhaps I'm just lucky (or just a hack) but I haven't felt the need to install a heat shield.   My boot rests against the pipe sometimes but it's never caused me any discomfort or noticeable damage. Is there a particular brand of boot that is melting and causing trouble? 

20230430_083440.jpg.6f52deee696681831b1dbc25d6f37e69.jpg

20230430_083637.jpg.bfc509327d558f4f907b5537c4254a51.jpg

3 hours ago, Windblown said:

Perhaps I'm just lucky (or just a hack) but I haven't felt the need to install a heat shield.   My boot rests against the pipe sometimes but it's never caused me any discomfort or noticeable damage. Is there a particular brand of boot that is melting and causing trouble? 

20230430_083440.jpg.6f52deee696681831b1dbc25d6f37e69.jpg

20230430_083637.jpg.bfc509327d558f4f907b5537c4254a51.jpg

Good point.

I never actually tested my set-up to see if/how much my boot would be damaged or melted by contact with the mid-pipe; I just assumed something bad would happen over time because of the recurring contact with the hot pipe and acted on that assumption with the heat wrap. 

I just looked at my right boot for any indication of contact with the pipe and really didn't find any. I first checked for what part of the boot contacted the pipe when the boot is slid back on the peg for twisties, and it's the little spot on the heel edge just forward of the pen tip.

20230430_120028.jpg.e79a6717055f2bec49f7d957aa748a40.jpg

Because I have lots of unused heat wrap, maybe I'll take off what I have one of these days and ride with nothing there for a while and then recheck.

• Like 1

In my experience, it’s not just the boot. I have felt plenty of heat through my riding suit pant leg. I would hate to melt a hole. 

• Like 1

Hello again. I’m sorry to bring this string back from the dead, but there is in fact new life breathed int my turn signal/Huzar/Camel ADV Tail Tidy relationship. 

After viewing my signals attached to the tail tidy, I hate to agree that they were not visible on the roadway. 

I simply mounted a piece of flat aluminum with 4 holes drilled. Two for mounting to the bike and one for each signal. I simply eyeballed the hole thing. Bent the angle with a vise, and rubber mallet. A couple bolts, washers, and nuts…along with some flat black paint…and I’m set. Looks fine. Works fine. You can see the old ones that I simply haven’t removed yet. It will take two minutes. Onward!

IMG_3044.jpeg.9fe1cf2d3b06ef788c38643eab417663.jpeg