Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Exhaust, is it ok? anyone try one yet? Ever hear of Huzar exhausts?

Tazmool

Why? Beside the cost, the design is better, tucking the exhaust under the bracket and no cutting the subframe bracket.  Less chance of subframe damage in a fall than some of the others which attached to the outside of the stock bracket.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, duibhceK said:
  • price
  • shipping cost (depending on location)
  • no need to cut the frame, just a hole in the plastics

Great, I thought there might have been some kind of defect with it or something!

On 10/23/2021 at 5:31 AM, Spike4379 said:

Can I ask why people are going this route instead of the Camel ADV way?

As duidhcek stated above but also I prefer it tucked in tighter and the way the Huzar better follows the lines of the bike. I have several Camel products but I liked how the Huzar was routed better. 

53 minutes ago, Adrenolin said:

As duidhcek stated above but also I prefer it tucked in tighter and the way the Huzar better follows the lines of the bike. I have several Camel products but I liked how the Huzar was routed better. 

They don't happen to sell just the pipe/kit on its own do they? I can't seem to find if they do.

Originally I bought the black window 300mm can thats compatible with the camel adv converter so it should work .

1 hour ago, Spike4379 said:

They don't happen to sell just the pipe/kit on its own do they? I can't seem to find if they do.

Originally I bought the black window 300mm can thats compatible with the camel adv converter so it should work .

It’s the kit only.. mid pipe and choice of long or short can. You need to email biuro@huzarexhaust.eu for info and ordering to the USA. Was super easy and fast. 

I bought Huzar’s kit with the longer muffler. I wanted just the mid pipe too, as I wanted to run a SuperTrapp muffler on it. After checking around there’s a custom shop in Australia that makes a beautiful mid pipe, but it was around $400 plus shipping. So the cheapest way was to buy the Huzar kit with muffler and then add your own can. Despite my intentions to change the muffler out, after I got the Huzar I threw their can on, and the T7 purrs like a fat cat. I did use exhaust sealant on the connector and  wrap the mid pipe. I run just the one installed db killer. But I liked the sound low but not annoying so I just ordered the Fisch spark arrestor and finished it. 

My friends that ride with me have quiet OEM mufflers. I’ve asked them their opinion of my noise output when riding behind or beside me. They said they have noticed a significant difference, unless I run her wide open. I would guess the longer can would be quieter.

When and/or if the muffler wears out I’ll put a SuperTrapp on it. But until then, I will enjoy the Huzar. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bmp4510 said:

My friends that ride with me have quiet OEM mufflers. I’ve asked them their opinion of my noise output when riding behind or beside me. They said they have noticed a significan

Should have said “Not noticed a significant difference in sound” unless I’m at wide open throttle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

Great, I thought there might have been some kind of defect with it or something!

Not found anything remotely considered defective in any of the Camel products on my bike, including their exhaust. The design preference is purely subjective & I can’t comment on Huzar’s quality but Camel’s has been worth the price every time.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 3:31 AM, Spike4379 said:

Can I ask why people are going this route instead of the Camel ADV way?

I mean, my Huzar pipe was $250 Canadian.  Shipped.  And it uses the stock mount as a pipe support vs. cutting it off.  

On 10/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, Bmp4510 said:

I bought Huzar’s kit with the longer muffler. I wanted just the mid pipe too, as I wanted to run a SuperTrapp muffler on it. After checking around there’s a custom shop in Australia that makes a beautiful mid pipe, but it was around $400 plus shipping. So the cheapest way was to buy the Huzar kit with muffler and then add your own can. Despite my intentions to change the muffler out, after I got the Huzar I threw their can on, and the T7 purrs like a fat cat. I did use exhaust sealant on the connector and  wrap the mid pipe. I run just the one installed db killer. But I liked the sound low but not annoying so I just ordered the Fisch spark arrestor and finished it. 

My friends that ride with me have quiet OEM mufflers. I’ve asked them their opinion of my noise output when riding behind or beside me. They said they have noticed a significant difference, unless I run her wide open. I would guess the longer can would be quieter.

When and/or if the muffler wears out I’ll put a SuperTrapp on it. But until then, I will enjoy the Huzar. 

That's my plan.  I really like Black Widow mufflers, and will probably put one of them on eventually, but in all honesty I find the Huzar can sounds great as it is.  

I've got both baffles in on the 400mm can, and it's *somewhat* louder than stock, but only a little, and that's just dry fitting.  The 500mm can is probably quieter than stock.

I'm also wrapping the mid pipe to avoid meltyboots, but I don't think that's going to impact the sound at all.  

4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

That's my plan.  I really like Black Widow mufflers, and will probably put one of them on eventually, but in all honesty I find the Huzar can sounds great as it is.  

I've got both baffles in on the 400mm can, and it's *somewhat* louder than stock, but only a little, and that's just dry fitting.  The 500mm can is probably quieter than stock.

I'm also wrapping the mid pipe to avoid meltyboots, but I don't think that's going to impact the sound at all.  

Wrapping the mid pipe sounds like an excellent idea and it stops crud getting on that section too. I listened to as man mufflers as I could and settled on black widows, they're pretty good.

Sadly I have the best one (in my opinion anyway for what I want) sitting in a box, by my front door..... When my tenere comes in, in a few weeks I'm riding straight home and putting its full system on I just can't wait!

The huzar option does look very nice

2 minutes ago, Spike4379 said:

Wrapping the mid pipe sounds like an excellent idea and it stops crud getting on that section too. I listened to as man mufflers as I could and settled on black widows, they're pretty good.

Sadly I have the best one (in my opinion anyway for what I want) sitting in a box, by my front door..... When my tenere comes in, in a few weeks I'm riding straight home and putting its full system on I just can't wait!

The huzar option does look very nice

I had a Black Widow on my old MT07 (230mm GP style round with blued tip) and while it was admittedly too loud, it sounded so damn good.  This one, really: 

xt700-tenere-2021-2022-de-cat-exhaust-sy

De-Cat Full Exhaust System Fits Yamaha XT700 Tenere 2021 2022Improves both power and fuel economy.Compatible with the original lambda

I'd go with a bigger can if I were to do it again, at least a 300, because damn that 230 was loud.  But the CP2 sounds SO GOOD.   If you get just the link pipe+can sets, they're still pretty reasonably priced (though ultimately almost twice what the Huzar costs) - definitely a better deal than dumping $1000+ on an Akra pipe setup, unless you just really like spending money. 

With the Heed crash bars, I didn't even need to cut the lower plastic, just mounted the can directly to the crash bar.  I'm assuming the Black Widow systems are mounting outside, and having the same problem the stock can does, though I'm not sure of that.

36 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I had a Black Widow on my old MT07 (230mm GP style round with blued tip) and while it was admittedly too loud, it sounded so damn good.  This one, really: 

xt700-tenere-2021-2022-de-cat-exhaust-sy

De-Cat Full Exhaust System Fits Yamaha XT700 Tenere 2021 2022Improves both power and fuel economy.Compatible with the original lambda

I'd go with a bigger can if I were to do it again, at least a 300, because damn that 230 was loud.  But the CP2 sounds SO GOOD.   If you get just the link pipe+can sets, they're still pretty reasonably priced (though ultimately almost twice what the Huzar costs) - definitely a better deal than dumping $1000+ on an Akra pipe setup, unless you just really like spending money. 

With the Heed crash bars, I didn't even need to cut the lower plastic, just mounted the can directly to the crash bar.  I'm assuming the Black Widow systems are mounting outside, and having the same problem the stock can does, though I'm not sure of that.

The 300 and all of them actually use that sort of rubber/slipper bracket and can attach anywhere so would work with the huzar setup perfectly. The only reason I got it is because camelADV was out of the high mount kit exhaust and I asked them about what cans fit, and all the 300mm black window ones should do, the only one they tried was a hexagonal one but after contacting black widow they confirmed dimension wise, H,L,W are all the same between each of the sized cans between the shapes.

After hearing the huzar one they do sound pretty good but man do I hate the look of the tip on it, not flashy at all!

I actually thought I would hate the sound of the mt07 engine when I had a sv650 because to me it sounded dirty compared to a real twin, but after a fair while I've come to realize these actually sound better!

I finally received my Huzar exhaust with the 50cm muffler.   Ordered 10/2/21 and received 10/25/21.   I dismantled the rear plastic under the rear seat to better access the inner fender to cut the plastic for the muffler mount.   No problems with the installation - I left out the wafer db killer with 4 holes and just used the rear db killer.   Not too happy with the sound on initial throttle and decel.   So, I removed the db killer and the annoying sounds disappeared.   It's just a bit too loud without any db killer but sounds almost as good as stock.   I had a db killer from a Staintune muffler and tried it instead -- no annoying sounds when just revving the engine without ridding.   I had to modify the tip a bit to get the Staintune db killer in far enough and had to drill the hole in the muffler out to 6mm (15/64ths).   The Staintune is the same diameter inside but is 1 1/2 inches shorter.   I'm hoping that the weather will improve to give it a test ride tomorrow to make sure that the annoying sounds are gone under load.

8 hours ago, NWrider said:

The Staintune is the same diameter inside but is 1 1/2 inches shorter.   I'm hoping that the weather will improve to give it a test ride tomorrow to make sure that the annoying sounds are gone under load.

Is the staintune baffle the same design but shorter, or is it a different design entirely?

---

Got mine fully fitted today, and I'm really happy with it.  I tried with and without the "four drilled holes" plate, but I found it would vibrate at certain points and rattle, so out it came.  

20211028_211321.thumb.jpg.50489bc558118403161ac23008cedbf6.jpg

Mounted to the Heed rear crash bar vs. cutting plastics.  It turns out you could still cut plastics and mount as normal, but I figured why cut up plastics if I don't have to?

20211028_211315.thumb.jpg.3b1f5729213119395bd067da382fa79d.jpg

The mount is a 7/8ths inch two piece split collar I had a guy weld to a strip of steel, which I bent to get an appropriate angle by carefully measuring, and bending (or rather blindly smashing it with a big hammer till it fit).  Works very well, and is extremely secure.  It's not going anywhere.

20211028_211337.thumb.jpg.a7c282598cf2d08ed330b109a8ddf46a.jpg

But of leftover titanium lava rock exhaust wrap to protect the boots, and all is good.  The whole assembly is well protected inside the frame and crash bars, so should be much less likely to get smashed up than the stock muffler. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 4

The Staintune db killer is essentially the same design but shorter.  The Staintune maintains the interior diameter all the way to the outer end with a bell surrounding the outlet to achieve the inner diameter of the Huzar outlet (without the db killer installed) whereas the Huzar db killer expands it's diameter internally about 2" in from the end.

Nice installation using the rear crash bar/handles (Heed?)

12 hours ago, NWrider said:

Nice installation using the rear crash bar/handles (Heed?)

Yeah, they're the Heed rear bars.  

So, I have to agree: the stock baffle/db killer adds an unpleasant raspiness when you're off the throttle.  Don't like that.  It sounds awesome with the baffle out, and maybe isn't too loud; I think I'll grab a couple Amazon baffle designs and give modifying them a go, see what I can come up with.  I'm not too concerned, though, as it's not insanely loud without the baffle installed. 

Not like my old 230mm gp style Black Widow was, hell without the baffle, it's pretty comparable to that can with the baffle in.

Wintersdark,

I was able to get out for about a 50 mile ride yesterday.   The Staintune db killer works great and sounds very close to the stock muffler with only a slight burble when decelerating at around 3k rpm.   The raspiness you described and, I also experienced with the stock db killer, is totally gone.   Here's a pic showing the db killers for comparison.

Staintune v Huzar db killer.jpg

1 hour ago, NWrider said:

Wintersdark,

I was able to get out for about a 50 mile ride yesterday.   The Staintune db killer works great and sounds very close to the stock muffler with only a slight burble when decelerating at around 3k rpm.   The raspiness you described and, I also experienced with the stock db killer, is totally gone.   Here's a pic showing the db killers for comparison.

Staintune v Huzar db killer.jpg

Hmmm.  I'll try just cutting the stock one down, see if that helps.  Actually, first I'll drill holes in the back half, if that doesn't fix it, cut it off.  I'm not gonna run that baffle anyways, and I'd be happy with any volume reduction without the rasp.  

No reason not to experiment with it, particularly as I'm not entirely opposed to simply running without baffles at all.

$%&^, do you know what? The more I look at this exhaust and its only 215$ AUD, the more I like it. The only thing I don't know is the diameter of the huzar exhaust join, from the actual huzar can when it slips onto the pipe that comes with it so I know if the exhaust I already have here will fit on or not. Does anyone know?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spike4379 said:

$%&^, do you know what? The more I look at this exhaust and its only 215$ AUD, the more I like it. The only thing I don't know is the diameter of the huzar exhaust join, from the actual huzar can when it slips onto the pipe that comes with it so I know if the exhaust I already have here will fit on or not. Does anyone know?

Outside diameter of the link pipe at the exhaust end is 50mm.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Outside diameter of the link pipe at the exhaust end is 50mm.   

Absolute champion! Its 52mm on the window so should fit perfectly over that.

The only thing I wonder about is if my exhause is too short being a 300mm but it has a hanger bracket that can be moved so should be fine.

Appreciate the speedy reply

11 hours ago, Spike4379 said:

Absolute champion! Its 52mm on the window so should fit perfectly over that.

The only thing I wonder about is if my exhause is too short being a 300mm but it has a hanger bracket that can be moved so should be fine.

Appreciate the speedy reply

Eh, I've got the 400mm pipe, it sits thusly:

20211101_191053.thumb.jpg.fa28c52a3bb94b0f5db01458084b4dfc.jpg

You could go 10cm back in length of the muffler, and it'd be totally fine.  Ironically, it'd probably be better because you'd avoid interactions between exhaust gas and turn signals if you don't have a tail tidy.  

On 11/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, Wintersdark said:

Eh, I've got the 400mm pipe, it sits thusly:

20211101_191053.thumb.jpg.fa28c52a3bb94b0f5db01458084b4dfc.jpg

You could go 10cm back in length of the muffler, and it'd be totally fine.  Ironically, it'd probably be better because you'd avoid interactions between exhaust gas and turn signals if you don't have a tail tidy.  

Regarding mounting the exhaust on the Heed rear crash bars, do you think the 500mm can would work as well or will it snag the turn signals on the stock tail setup? I was considering the Heed rear crash bars in lieu of grab handles for moving the bike around, and if it works with the Huzar setup while letting me not cut into the plastics, then all the better.