Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

High Exhaust, is it ok? anyone try one yet? Ever hear of Huzar exhausts?

Tazmool

Just finished installing mine!  The sound is pretty awesome with just the rear db killer in, but may be a bit too loud for my taste.  Still getting used to it.  I don't think the bike backfires on decel, but it does burble a lot more.  It did with the stock exhaust as well, but its much more pronounced now.  Many thanks to everyone on this thread for making this much easier.  Like a lot of you, I had ordered some parts before my T7 showed up at the dealer, so my R&G tail tidy didn't work at all with the Huzar, even though I bought the short can and short midpipe.  My solution was to install a set of the Motogadget Mo.Blaze pins (also suggested here).  Stupid expensive, but really bright and totally out of the way.  The integral threaded stud on the pins is a bit too long to install within the brake light housing, so I added a spacer made from a plumbing washer.  Looks pretty great.  I also have a different solution to add a spark arrestor, but that's still a work in progress.  I'll post again  when I get it finished. 

PXL_20210401_220029596.jpg

PXL_20210401_213555891.jpg

PXL_20210401_220059891.jpg

PXL_20210401_212933501.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Leojb said:

Just finished installing mine!  The sound is pretty awesome with just the rear db killer in, but may be a bit too loud for my taste.  Still getting used to it.  I don't think the bike backfires on decel, but it does burble a lot more.  It did with the stock exhaust as well, but its much more pronounced now.  Many thanks to everyone on this thread for making this much easier.  Like a lot of you, I had ordered some parts before my T7 showed up at the dealer, so my R&G tail tidy didn't work at all with the Huzar, even though I bought the short can and short midpipe.  My solution was to install a set of the Motogadget Mo.Blaze pins (also suggested here).  Stupid expensive, but really bright and totally out of the way.  The integral threaded stud on the pins is a bit too long to install within the brake light housing, so I added a spacer made from a plumbing washer.  Looks pretty great.  I also have a different solution to add a spark arrestor, but that's still a work in progress.  I'll post again  when I get it finished. 

PXL_20210401_220029596.jpg

PXL_20210401_213555891.jpg

PXL_20210401_220059891.jpg

PXL_20210401_212933501.jpg

Looks good!

I think its just a tad too loud with just the end baffle in, but tried to install the circular one. It just rattled around in there, so I took it out and upgraded my ear plugs.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, Jose said:

Hello Adi Torpan, good solution and very eco-friendly! I like that the original support does not have to be cut in case the original exhaust needs to be mounted in the future.
I see that you do not have the connecting springs between the silencer and the connection tube, it is only attached to the chassis support?
Thank you very much for the contribution!

It was an older picture when I designed the system. There are springs now

2.jpg

• Like 1

Well I have had my huzzar for a while now, I like it so far. I have had only two issues with it, though the one is just the bike I think.

I had a low speed very light drop on a off camber section, rear wheel slid and I ended up with the rear in the rut. So I dragged down the front wheel and picked it up. I bent the rear brake pedal,  but when I got home I noticed something else. The link pipe and rear pegs bracket were now almost touching. I’m assuming I bent the rear peg bracket.

the other thing is the flat piece of aluminum to mount the pipe just is not satisfactory. No matter what I do there is always some wiggle there so I am going to re-engineer that somehow. I had used some read gasket sealer and that was solid till I dropped the bike at least, if the muffler wasn’t a slip on I think this would not be a problem.

other than that it’s been good.

Mike

Hi, in previous post I have shown how I used a different attachment point for the muffler. The one provided by huzar is too wobbly and also poor to see .

I'm not surprised that the one of Mike has bended .

I confirm what as been said , there are some leak between the pipes. I use exhaust paste. 

So , yesterday I modified again the huzar middle pipe . 

It looks like a snake 😂 ,ugly to see , not good for exhaust flow (I think).

I weld a 45° inox bend and a little clove to take a direction and don't have a collision with swingarm and brake caliper 

In this way the exhaust shot little bit far from turning signal and plate holder

IMG_20210403_192931.thumb.jpg.97c13fdc6134fca6f46f08bd293c7928.jpgScreenshot_2021-04-05-14-54-52-038_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.35ed72e3018ead07ecd2361984b5e91c.jpgIMG_20210403_192946.thumb.jpg.0608a6b12ea27a9c1d8082e6469553ef.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tazmool said:

Despite some of the drawbacks, to me a high exit exhaust seems to make a lot of sense on a bike like the Tenere 700.  
Dual sport Bikes meant for real off roading (WR250R for example) have high exit exhausts for the reason of *when* you tip over, the pipe is high up and protected (the WR even routes the link pipe out of the way to keep it out of harms way, and away from you when the bike is laying on your leg)

The video in previous replies shows the flaw in having a low level exhaust on a bike likely to tip-over, the hanger bends in (when tipped onto the exhaust ) and the swingarm rubs the link pipe, damaging the pipe and swing-arm...  

I figured I might as well check out the Huzar pipe, and with out much fuss the pipe arrived. 

I ordered the High exit, long 50cm stainless steel version, powder coated black (all options included) 
With shipping to Canada, all fees, it was less than 200 Euros.

The fit and finish looks good, materials appear to be strong (thick material walls)  this is the heaviest version, yet the pipe is not heavy. 

Huzar-01.thumb.jpg.0f4d5b2ed72236501e2fcc44456197ed.jpg

The 50cm muffler, link pipe, dual-db killers, and all hardware weigh in at 6lbs 7.25oz

The muffler itself has a Huzar sticker, which thanfully is very easy to remove (you also get 3 more spare stickers in the box) 
I very much prefer the clean no-logo look (the hzr cut out in the cap-ends are ok with me, subtle) 

Huzar-02.thumb.jpg.6628489129c7680aac3f29103507fca0.jpg

Muffler alone is 3lbs 14oz  (pretty good, a stainless steel Scorpion slip-on muffler for my R6 weigs 3lbs 12oz, and is physically smaller than this 50cm pipe) 

Huzar-03.thumb.jpg.513958b1727d4b6c19731ab83d06ef52.jpg

Link pipe alone is 2lbs 2.75oz
This pipe alone may have potential for use with other mufflers as well (I wonder if the oem yamaha pipe will be able to be attached to this link pipe, just curious) 

Huzar-04.thumb.jpg.0514671109039a5c0862e46b96eecc4f.jpg

The dual dB killers.  6.26oz   
The exit dB killer (pipe on the left) looks to be an industry standard design I've seen on many pipes. 

The inlet dB killer ..... (the roud disc with 4 holes in it)  ....  must be some kind of compliance part?!?  its ridiculously restrictive (many years ago in my engineering classes we bench flowed several opening options, and a hole in a flat plate was hands down one of the most restrictive)  Huzar claims that with both dB killers installed, their exhaust is 2dB quieter than stock.... so if you need to pass some kind of sound test, do so, then promptly remove the restriction, this is the purpose of the inlet dB killer?

This summer, if I have the opportunity, I would like to dyno the bike with the stock exhaust, and this pipe, with dB killers in and out.   I think the outlet dB killer will be ok, probably around the same hp output as the stock pipe.  With the inlet, I would not be surprised if there was a slight power loss vs oem.

All in all, for the cost, I am very happy with the purchase so far. 
The T7 for me is a step in the right direction for the mid-ADV market, a bike that is back to basics, relatively light, and if its not adorned with expensive aftermarket add-ons, it won't be too expensive to tip-over, meaning that you won't be too worried about riding the bike hard, using it as a TOOL for your adventures. 

After all, riding, living your life, having fun, its all part of the experience, the bike is just a tool. 

The little pile of parts for my (pre-ordered) T7 is growing 🙂

Once I install this pipe, I'll report my updated impressions then.

If anyone has the inclination, would you mind removing and weighing the oem muffler and link pipe? 
I'm guessing this pipe is about 4-5lbs lighter than stock? 

Tazmool

Huzar-06.jpg

Have a link for that stuff please!!

On 2/21/2021 at 6:51 PM, LoganC135 said:

Got the new turns installed and definitely will not have issues with them getting melted. Took a couple of videos to show brightness and comparing them against the Amazon sequentials that were on prior....

Comparison video mid install...

Install complete. Plenty of clearance so melting will no longer be an issue...

and a couple of pics 

4277A254-DD89-42CD-BE2C-311D3465CF9F.thumb.jpeg.216cb9f246ba5c045fd8ef6f650152d6.jpeg
73EFCCE2-3468-4015-A634-DAB0A96E01F7.thumb.jpeg.a550bd64cde0877c5b28a7b7b6488b2b.jpeg

Trying to find these signals, but they have literally dropped off the face of the earth! 

1 minute ago, brianq103 said:

Trying to find these signals, but they have literally dropped off the face of the earth! 

I noticed. I think I may have accidentally got the last pair in existence! 

• Like 1

A further modification was required. 

Than the exhaust trouble will  be finished , I Hope.

Heat cover for boot's heel.

I weld 2 nuts on a middle pipe, 

On them I can screw little inox plate (self made) with a "AliExpress" heat cover on it. 

I hope pics can be helps someone.IMG_20210428_114648.thumb.jpg.fbbdd4cfba6946ff76e0a2a5ad182f22.jpgScreenshot_2021-04-29-13-39-17-386_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.4143431496a0c33d22b70ac65ffac40b.jpg

IMG_20210428_114709.jpg

IMG_20210428_114659.jpg

• Like 1

I got the Huzar 40 cm muffler and 40 cm connector pipe and installed it. Looks good, but the TST Industries turn signal lasted exactly 100 yards before it melted. I thought I had the pipe low enough but no go. I didn't want to stray too far from the Huzar mounting setup because I noticed when I tried that the connector pipe was not lined up as well as I would like. So now, I'm waiting on smaller signals that I ordered for the back. They are only ones from Amazon for proof of concept, so I'm not expecting too much.

With the top DB killer in my opinion of the sound is...meh. I actually preferred the sound of the stock exhaust. If I did it again, and especially since getting the shorter muffler didn't have the clearance affect I was hoping for, I would get the longer muffler as this one sounds a little tinny to me. Having said that, I can't complain with the look of the finished product. The Huzar lead pipe is a beautiful thing!

I also wanted to mention it took exactly 12 days to get it to me to where I live north of Toronto, from Poland. For a total cost of less than CND$300, that was awesome!

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

4 hours ago, brianq103 said:

I got the Huzar 40 cm muffler and 40 cm connector pipe and installed it. Looks good, but the TST Industries turn signal lasted exactly 100 yards before it melted. I thought I had the pipe low enough but no go. I didn't want to stray too far from the Huzar mounting setup because I noticed when I tried that the connector pipe was not lined up as well as I would like. So now, I'm waiting on smaller signals that I ordered for the back. They are only ones from Amazon for proof of concept, so I'm not expecting too much.

With the top DB killer in my opinion of the sound is...meh. I actually preferred the sound of the stock exhaust. If I did it again, and especially since getting the shorter muffler didn't have the clearance affect I was hoping for, I would get the longer muffler as this one sounds a little tinny to me. Having said that, I can't complain with the look of the finished product. The Huzar lead pipe is a beautiful thing!

I also wanted to mention it took exactly 12 days to get it to me to where I live north of Toronto, from Poland. For a total cost of less than CND$300, that was awesome!

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

I installed the 40CM HUZAR Exhaust also. But I made a longer bracket that placed the output below the LED signal that I installed on the Camel ADv Tail Tidy. Managed to get out yesterday for a 50klm ride & no issues with the signal light melting, tomorrow will be a 400klm ride.

20210429_121514[1].jpg

20210429_121616[1].jpg

20210429_121655[1].jpg

20210429_121708[1].jpg

11 minutes ago, Bighopper said:

I installed the 40CM HUZAR Exhaust also. But I made a longer bracket that placed the output below the LED signal that I installed on the Camel ADv Tail Tidy. Managed to get out yesterday for a 50klm ride & no issues with the signal light melting, tomorrow will be a 400klm ride.

20210429_121514[1].jpg

20210429_121616[1].jpg

20210429_121655[1].jpg

20210429_121708[1].jpg

From the pictures, mine wasn't more than a couple of millimeters lower than yours, but it melted the TST signal like it was nothing! 

Here's a shot of the Huzar to which I've added the Fisch spark arrestor making it USFS legal. I've got the longer can on this and Amazon LED signals....after 500+ miles, no melting - click to see the larger  image

Edited by sracer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sracer said:

Here's a shot of the Huzar to which I've added the Fisch spark arrestor making it USFS legal. I've got the longer can on this and Amazon LED signals....after 500+ miles, no melting - click to see the larger  image

Do you have headers also?

if not the catalytic converter is the best spark arrestor made aka you don’t need one 

2 hours ago, mpatch said:

Do you have headers also?

if not the catalytic converter is the best spark arrestor made aka you don’t need one 

no doubt. But if stopped by the ranger will they agree? Because there is nothing to stop the stick if they do that "test".

5 hours ago, sracer said:

no doubt. But if stopped by the ranger will they agree? Because there is nothing to stop the stick if they do that "test".

A great point. Out here in California them rangers love their sticks.

On 4/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, sracer said:

Did you have to do anything special to install the spark arrestor?

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Took the nut and bolt out of the can insert, then shoved the spark arrestor in it and marked the spark arrestor through the hole. Drilled the spark arrestor, put it back together. Figured it won't come out with a through bolt -better than the grub screws that come with the arrestor. Easy.

17 minutes ago, sracer said:

Took the nut and bolt out of the can insert, then shoved the spark arrestor in it and marked the spark arrestor through the hole. Drilled the spark arrestor, put it back together. Figured it won't come out with a through bolt -better than the grub screws that come with the arrestor. Easy.

Thank you. Simple enough. I guess I need to order one.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Also got the exhaust, sounds pretty good.

Made a custom bracket for the muffler because it didn't fit with the HEED crashbar. 

Also made a heatshield for the blinker while waiting to get the camel ADV tailtidy delivered. Don't want to get the indicator melted.

20210501_200611.jpg

• Like 1

Has anyone considered buying the huzar pipe, then fabbing it with their own can? I'm considering doing this purely for the midpipe, then just coming up with a simple way to mount a different exhaust to the system either by chopping the hangar or using something similar to the huzar mount.

Edited by loneranger700

My solution to High Exhaust. Made locally at a cost of US$ 140 for conecting pipe holding brackets ( one for the muffler and one for the pipe ) and installation.

No passenger footpegs and t7rally tail tidy.

HE1.jpg

HE2.jpg

HE3.jpg

HE4.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 11:18 AM, Goldentaco said:

When I had both dB killers in it didn't pop.  With just the outer dB killer in it might pop occasionally.

I run both of them out and notice a pop sometimes.  It may happen less when I have my Fich Moto spark arrestor in.  On frwy or backroads I typically have earplugs in.  If in the dirt I usually take them out.  I feel like it was worse when I had Both Unifilter and the  Unifilter snorkel Prefilter in place.  I currently run the MWR filter with Twinair Plate or on dirt trips I put the Twinair Prefilter on.  Maybe those have some affect on the popping?

J

Say, Golden, I am looking at that twinair plate. The webpage for that product was not quite clear to me. You have the plate as well as the foam hat sticking up, yes?

I am looking to add a feature like that to my set up. I am planning on continuing to run stock oem paper filters, but like the idea of an open cell, oiled foam dome bolted on top. Thats a spendy set up. 

Anyone heard of a cheaper plate to run this type of pre filtration?

Never mind, Mr taco.

I read of your experience with air filtration in one of your posts in ADVrider. Answered all my questions/

• Like 1