Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Slamming and banging offroad

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor
18 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Awesome vid, thanks for sharing. Down here we ride a place called Saint Anthony dunes. Paddle tire 450's usually. Would be a trip on the heavier T7 in the dunes I bet. 

I'm aware of St Anthony's and the Devil Dune but I've never been. I did ride SpinReel in Oregon with a paddle on my 1190R a few years ago... that was a lot of work.

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• 3 months later...

45 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

This one was a b%tch! 

You're my new hero. That is freaking awesome. 

• Like 2

Great Video...….

That's what ADV Bike riding is all about.

Thankyou for sharing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

A little blast after work on Monday night with some KTM 990 goons. I love this T7 more every time I ride it!

Very impressive indeed.

Couple of quick questions.

What tyres are you using and rear width and how did the T7 fare against the 990 (and 790 if there was one there)?

Cheers

Rich

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

A little blast after work on Monday night with some KTM 990 goons. I love this T7 more every time I ride it!

Right on. Your editing is getting really good too, man. Keep posting the clips, it's inspiring. 

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 7/8/2020 at 5:26 AM, Rich TT said:

Very impressive indeed.

Couple of quick questions.

What tyres are you using and rear width and how did the T7 fare against the 990 (and 790 if there was one there)?

Cheers

Rich

I've been riding 90% hard offroad latey so it's got full non-DOT knobbies on it. 90/100-21 Shinko 216MX up front and a 120/100-18 Kenda Millville II on the back. Despite it being a 120 width designation, it's 145mm wide and the beads are 4" apart at rest so it seats on the stock rim far better than expected.  Neither tire would last more than 1000km on the road and I'm sure the handling would be downright scary.

As far as how the T7 fares against bike A or bike B... that is a complicated question. Better where? How? Over what terrain? With who riding it? I have full aftermarket/hybrid suspension on the T7. One of the 990s is revalved and resprung and the other is just resprung. The other two guys are woods racers (300 2T) and are both far better riders than I am in the tight single track but I'm quicker when things open up a bit. 

Same for same, if everything was OEM stock and we were on very technical terrain, I prefer the T7. I used to own one one of the 990s in the video and I never really bonded with it, Ryan loves it. Jordan (the other 990 owner in the video) jumped on my T7 last time we were out and now he's thinking about about selling his 990 and picking up a Yamaha. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I've been riding 90% hard offroad latey so it's got full non-DOT knobbies on it. 90/100-21 Shinko 216MX up front and a 120/100-18 Kenda Millville II on the back. Despite it being a 120 width designation, it's 145mm wide and the bead as a 4" apart at rest so it seats on the stock rim far better than expected.  Neither tire would last more than 1000km on the road and I'm sure the handling would be downright scary.

As far as how the T7 fares against bike A or bike B... that is a complicated question. Better where? How? Over what terrain? With who riding it? I have full aftermarket/hybrid suspension on the T7. One of the 990s is revalved and resprung and the other is just resprung. The other two guys are woods racers (300 2T) and are both far better riders than I am in the tight single track but I'm quicker when things open up a bit. 

Same for same, if everything was OEM stock and we were on very technical terrain, I prefer the T7. I used to own one one of the 990s in the video and I never really bonded with it, Ryan loves it. Jordan (the other 990 owner in the video) jumped on my T7 last time we were out and now he's thinking about about selling his 990 and picking up a Yamaha. 

That's awesome all round thanks and great riding skills (and balls!).

Really enjoyed that video.

Enjoy the T7.

Rich

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

Not being able to travel due to COVID is a pain but I've been able to do a ton more local riding this year. I'm very lucky to have so many riding options so close to home.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Not being able to travel due to COVID is a pain but I've been able to do a ton more local riding this year. I'm very lucky to have so many riding options so close to home.

In the words of Darth Vader "Impressive, most impressive".

Great riding, great trails.

Rich

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Love it!

Always the best onboard commentary too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

A nasty bit of trail called Koko Claims in South Eastern British Columbia. I love this bike more every time I ride it! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

A nasty bit of trail called Koko Claims in South Eastern British Columbia. I love this bike more every time I ride it! 

Great riding and what an amazing place.

Rich

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Great riding and what an amazing place.

Rich

There's so much great riding around here... too bad it's only accessible half the year. Some of the high elevation stuff is only ridable 1 month a year. I'm riding it while I can!

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 6:31 AM, Camel ADV said:

You have very nice videos here in this topic. I wish to have riding options like you.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 1:36 AM, Cruizin said:

Awesome vid, thanks for sharing. Down here we ride a place called Saint Anthony dunes. Paddle tire 450's usually. Would be a trip on the heavier T7 in the dunes I bet. 

My family and some close friends use to go to St Anthonys dunes every spring long ago. We would make the 22 hour non-stop trip out there to ride for a few days and back.  One year we got to St  Anthony and had to wait out a sand storm.   It was always a fun trip and the drive out there was always interesting too to see how the landscape changes.  I have to admit though, 3 days riding sand does get a little long in the tooth. Ive had a Polaris scrambler 500 out there, Suzuki DRZ400 and a KX250. Now, since all of my family has gotten into SXS’s their has been a slow grumbling about maybe heading back out there again some day. 

Has anything much changed(rules and regs)?  It’s been probably 15 years since we’ve been out there.

These videos are definitely  a little more hardcore than what i plan to do with a T7!  Nice to see it can do it though! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT675 said:

My family and some close friends use to go to St Anthonys dunes every spring long ago. We would make the 22 hour non-stop trip out there to ride for a few days and back.  One year we got to St  Anthony and had to wait out a sand storm.   It was always a fun trip and the drive out there was always interesting too to see how the landscape changes.  I have to admit though, 3 days riding sand does get a little long in the tooth. Ive had a Polaris scrambler 500 out there, Suzuki DRZ400 and a KX250. Now, since all of my family has gotten into SXS’s their has been a slow grumbling about maybe heading back out there again some day. 

Has anything much changed(rules and regs)?  It’s been probably 15 years since we’ve been out there.

You have to have flags on your vehicles, there is now a sheriff deputy in a side by side and cops stop by the campgrounds more frequently than they used to.