Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Sag

H20ham

Is there a rough figure where rear sag gets to

I am about 200 pounds of pemale 

6’

really think I want/need the lowering kit.

But then again, I might do some highway ridding.

I'm about 211 pounds (in undies) and I set up my sag last night and I have the spring pre-load wound up all the way to get the required 60 mm race sag (30% of 200 mm). This was measured with an almost empty tank so it looks like i'll need to fit a stiffer rear spring. Whatever you do don't try to lower the bike by winding down the pre-load adjuster, this will cause too much initial compression damping and make it rough over sharp edged bumps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

I'm about 211 pounds (in undies) and I set up my sag last night and I have the spring pre-load wound up all the way to get the required 60 mm race sag (30% of 200 mm). This was measured with an almost empty tank so it looks like i'll need to fit a stiffer rear spring. Whatever you do don't try to lower the bike by winding down the pre-load adjuster, this will cause too much initial compression damping and make it rough over sharp edged bumps.

I've posted on this before and I agree. I'm 6 ft 3 and around 14 stone/ 89kg / 196 lb and I have also wound my preload to 22 out of 24 clicks and can't get the racing sag right. The spring is just too soft for my weight (and I'm not overweight!).

Rally raid products offer a different spring and they also comment how undersprung it is, unless you don't weigh much at all. They know their stuff for sure

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

They also offer some really good other stuff e.g. the combo spanner for front and rear wheel  removal and stainless steel front wheel spacers  etc.

I'll be doing this mod soon and a great price for, I'm sure, a real noticeable mod.

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

I've posted on this before and I agree. I'm 6 ft 3 and around 14 stone/ 89kg / 196 lb and I have also wound my preload to 22 out of 24 clicks and can't get the racing sag right. The spring is just too soft for my weight (and I'm not overweight!).

Rally raid products offer a different spring and they also comment how undersprung it is, unless you don't weigh much at all. They know their stuff for sure

Yamaha T7 Uprated OEM Shock Spring

They also offer some really good other stuff e.g. the combo spanner for front and rear wheel  removal and stainless steel front wheel spacers  etc.

I'll be doing this mod soon and a great price for, I'm sure, a real noticeable mod.

Rich

This will have to be my next investment I guess.. I'm 6.4 and 102 kg.. 

Would I need to go for the highest rated spring? I'm not travelling with passenger or a a lot of luggage so I wonder how this works.. 

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Would I need to go for the highest rated spring? I'm not travelling with passenger or a a lot of luggage so I wonder how this works.. 

I'd ring them Aleksander and ask for advice. The guy I spoke to (John?), really knows his stuff and was very helpful on the phone. He sounds like an ex rally racer or racer in general and they have a T7 as a development bike. I also need to ask the same question. The rider weight and sag should be really be set with all your gear, armour, helmet on etc. and I would fill the tank too as it's rare that you ride with the tank empty.

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich TT said:

I'd ring them Aleksander and ask for advice. The guy I spoke to (John?), really knows his stuff and was very helpful on the phone. He sounds like an ex rally racer or racer in general and they have a T7 as a development bike. I also need to ask the same question. The rider weight and sag should be really be set with all your gear, armour, helmet on etc. and I would fill the tank too as it's rare that you ride with the tank empty.

Rich

Thank you Rich, I will call them once I am ready and ask the questions..I only ride on-road and would not need off-road setup.

😄 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

I will be going for the 90 I think, if the stock spring is a 70 and seeing as I can just get the sag right with the maximum pre-load on the rear spring, I think the 95 may be too hard. I won't be getting one from them though, postage is almost the same price as the spring!! 

29 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

I will be going for the 90 I think, if the stock spring is a 70 and seeing as I can just get the sag right with the maximum pre-load on the rear spring, I think the 95 may be too hard. I won't be getting one from them though, postage is almost the same price as the spring!! 

Makes sense to look elsewhere being as you're in Australia. Luckily I'm only 1h 15 away, so I'll ride there and drop the shock there and then.

Rich

18 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Makes sense to look elsewhere being as you're in Australia. Luckily I'm only 1h 15 away, so I'll ride there and drop the shock there and then.

Rich

That's very convenient for you then you lucky bugger, I can't find anyone selling them here yet. The price is very reasonable for the spring.

Here is a calculator on the Teknik site that may help, these guys usually know their stuff.

website_logo.png

YAMAHA XTZ690 T7 TENERE 2020 Motorcycle Suspension Upgrades Offroad Adventure Off Road KYB USD Kayaba Upside Down Forks Kayaba KYB Shock Absorber

Edited by Whitey66
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Rich

I have just been in touch with them and they have advised for my weight and no passenger ... no luggage most of the time and no off road use .. the 90nm spring...:) 

He will email me with details of Martin in Royston who does the installation for them..£60 to install and he can ship the spring direct.

Seems reasonable... also mentioned something about adjusting the front forks ( some parts available in couple weeks but I could not make sense of it as I am not very good at understanding suspension ... something about adjusting dampening maybe ) :) 

Hope this makes some sense :)))) 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Whitey66 said:

That's very convenient for you then you lucky bugger, I can't find anyone selling them here yet. The price is very reasonable for the spring.

Here is a calculator on the Teknik site that may help, these guys usually know their stuff.

website_logo.png

YAMAHA XTZ690 T7 TENERE 2020 Motorcycle Suspension Upgrades Offroad Adventure Off Road KYB USD Kayaba Upside Down Forks Kayaba KYB Shock Absorber

ha ha - yep!

Great find and thanks

Hi All! I fitted the 95! I am 110kg and often take my wife(52kg) it changed everything. I was already impressed with the T7 but this made it even better. To be honest the most notable difference was under acceleration , before she would squat now she´s perfect!! I fitted it myself it was quite straight forward, and the price was great but expensive to send but it was here in 4 days!! I´ve never had anything delivered in 4 days where i live (Canary Islands, Spain). 

• Like 5

Super to hear and I'll be doing mine asap. Likely the 85 or 90.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 9:36 PM, Makogc said:

Hi All! I fitted the 95! I am 110kg and often take my wife(52kg) it changed everything. I was already impressed with the T7 but this made it even better. To be honest the most notable difference was under acceleration , before she would squat now she´s perfect!! I fitted it myself it was quite straight forward, and the price was great but expensive to send but it was here in 4 days!! I´ve never had anything delivered in 4 days where i live (Canary Islands, Spain). 

How many clicks on the pre-load to get 60mm race sag with 95 N/mm  spring  ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 10/30% sag rule is only very general guidelines?

So for novice riders – if your sag is slightly off of those numbers, but the suspension is working great for you, than you don’t have to mess with theoretically correct numbers!

For example – I’m riding offroad, sometimes very sandy and I will always choose stability over cornering – so i will set my sag accordingly!?

On my T7 I set the sag to achieve stability, but I didn’t measured the exact numbers.. But I’m only 78kg, so I guess stock springs are working for me..

Edited by Janka
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Janka said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but 10/30% sag rule is only very general guidelines?

So for novice riders – if your sag is slightly off of those numbers, but the suspension is working great for you, than you don’t have to mess with theoretically correct numbers!

For example – I’m riding offroad, sometimes very sandy and I will always choose stability over cornering – so i will set my sag accordingly!?

On my T7 I set the sag to achieve stability, but I didn’t measured the exact numbers.. But I’m only 78kg, so I guess stock springs are working for me..

To be honest the off roading i have done before was with a mountain bike and the sag was the same 30% . So really this is all new to me, lucky through this forum and Facebook groups i have learnt a lot ! The spring i have fitted has helped, but i suppose i might be at the heaviest level!!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine needs changing end of the month and hopefully it will be better.. at the moment it seems that the bike has a bit of a wobbly effect on fast sections with un-even road surface ...rally raid 95nm spring to be ordered and set-up the front and back sag to road riding...what are people recommending if I am not going to go off -road or with a passenger... can it be set up more aggressively ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Mine needs changing end of the month and hopefully it will be better.. at the moment it seems that the bike has a bit of a wobbly effect on fast sections with un-even road surface ...rally raid 95nm spring to be ordered and set-up the front and back sag to road riding...what are people recommending if I am not going to go off -road or with a passenger... can it be set up more aggressively ?

You can only change the rear sag as the front suspension has no pre-load adjustment. I've got my race and static sag spot on now with my beefier rear spring.

I've mentioned before, but I brought the forks through the yokes an extra 10mm. This speeds up steering but is still rock stable. The other advantage is it drops the bike ever so slightly, which is always useful for such a tall bike.

Rich

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rich TT said:

You can only change the rear sag as the front suspension has no pre-load adjustment. I've got my race and static sag spot on now with my beefier rear spring.

I've mentioned before, but I brought the forks through the yokes an extra 10mm. This speeds up steering but is still rock stable. The other advantage is it drops the bike ever so slightly, which is always useful for such a tall bike.

Rich

This is what John ment on the phone when he said he is developing something for the front and I couldn't understand it. 

I am hoping I can set up the bike well enough without the need of spending £288 plus installing. 

I will get the bike set up for road use only with the new spring and report back. 

Screenshot_20200217-185935.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

This is what John ment on the phone when he said he is developing something for the front and I couldn't understand it. 

I am hoping I can set up the bike well enough without the need of spending £288 plus installing. 

I will get the bike set up for road use only with the new spring and report back. 

Screenshot_20200217-185935.jpg

Yes I remember him saying that and you're right. This is a preload front kit.

I think the front is just fine on and off road. It's the rear spring that's too soft (unless you're a flyweight).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Did anybody installed a 85 Nmm spring?

If yes, what is your weight and what sag numbers do you get without luggage?

Can't  decide wich spring rate to get 80 or 85 Nmm for me - 78kg  without riding gear and no answer from Rally Raid yet..

1 hour ago, Janka said:

Did anybody installed a 85 Nmm spring?

If yes, what is your weight and what sag numbers do you get without luggage?

Can't  decide wich spring rate to get 80 or 85 Nmm for me - 78kg  without riding gear and no answer from Rally Raid yet..

Hello

I am 79 kg + gear. I have ordered 80N/mm spring from Rally raid.

I have correct sag with OEM spring with me incl gear at 17-18 clicks (of total 24 clicks full PA) from fully out to get 60mm race sag and 20mm static sag. I travel light with only a couple of soft bags and no passenger. Therefore I choose 80N/mm. If I would go on big trip with lot of luggage most of the time I probably would have opted for the 85N/mm to have more PA adjustment. 

I will get my spring next week I think.

Edited by PJS
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, PJS said:

Hello

I am 79 kg + gear. I have ordered 80N/mm spring from Rally raid.

I have correct sag with OEM spring with me incl gear at 17-18 clicks (of total 24 clicks full PA) from fully out to get 60mm race sag and 20mm static sag. I travel light with only a couple of soft bags and no passenger. Therefore I choose 80N/mm. If I would go on big trip with lot of luggage most of the time I probably would have opted for the 85N/mm to have more PA adjustment. 

I will get my spring next week I think.

Huge thanks for information!! That was helpfull!

Please report back on 80n/mm spring - what clicks to get correct sag settings!

I have big offroad trip planned with all my camping gear etc., so i'm interested on 85N/mm spring! But will i be abble to get correct sag settings without any luggage at all?

Edited by Janka
  • Like 1