Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Sag

H20ham

Hello all, 

Reporting back from torque racing where Gina has received stiffer front springs from ktech...Martin has done a grand job and I'm an very happy with the result. 

My weight 102kg (maybe 104  😱🤣)with no gear.... Bike had almost no fuel today and I've checked the static sag and rider sag with no helmet and no jacket on. 

Readings with new fork springs static 15.0mm and previously we had 35mm.

Rider sag now 30mm with almost empty tank and no helmet and no jacket gloves etc.. And previously 65mm.

After 2.5h in the saddle I can definitely say that this has transformed the bike and it handles so much better... When braking it doesn't dive and feel empty and then you get some resistance to the dive.. You can feel the suspension working from the beginning of the stroke and it makes a huge difference. 

Cornering is better and bumps are absorbed nicely and the whole bike feels and a better package altogether. 

Springs I've fitted are attached with the spec.. This will only work for riders above 104kg I would have said and also remember that I'm on 17 inch wheels so the feel of the front is different. 

For me it has made the bike handle like a supermoto and I'm very happy with the result.. Not expensive mod and worth every penny. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200710_144817.jpg

20200710154719_IMG_0980.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 9:45 AM, UtahJack said:

Set Sag on my new bike at the dealership before I left. I am 173 lbs. plus boots, helmet, and camel pack with 100 oz. water to achieve proper Sag of 30% no preload at all on the rear shock. I will check it periodically as the suspension settles. 

Well I have a little over 1000mi. on my bike approximately 90% of those off-road.

Checked my Sag on the bike and found that it was now drastically different, I don't know if when the dealer help me set it at delivery at (0 clicks) was way off or if the spring has changed, I believe it is the latter. In view of this unless you weigh in excess of 200lbs. you may not want to change the standard pre-load setting until you have some miles on the bike.

Currently I am 173lbs. plus boots, helmet, and camel pack with 100 0z. puts me at 198lbs. Pre-load setting is (14 clicks) to achieve a Race Sag of 30%.

Just for reference (10 clicks) is suppose to be the standard setting with (24 clicks) being maximum. Any settings of 20 or so clicks you probably should be looking at a stiffer rear spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

Well I have a little over 1000mi. on my bike approximately 90% of those off-road.

Checked my Sag on the bike and found that it was now drastically different, I don't know if when the dealer help me set it at delivery at (0 clicks) was way off or if the spring has changed, I believe it is the latter. In view of this unless you weigh in excess of 200lbs. you may not want to change the standard pre-load setting until you have some miles on the bike.

Currently I am 173lbs. plus boots, helmet, and camel pack with 100 0z. puts me at 198lbs. Pre-load setting is (14 clicks) to achieve a Race Sag of 30%.

Just for reference (10 clicks) is suppose to be the standard setting with (24 clicks) being maximum. Any settings of 20 or so clicks you probably should be looking at a stiffer rear spring.

great that you got it sorted. No serious dealer should hand over a bike with pre-load set to 0 clicks for your weight, he should know that something was wrong. The spring does not change - it is just a simple piece of wound steel. There could have been something else wrong, but more likely it's a dealer mistake.

• Like 1

@Teresa

I will agree and disagree with you, yes there most likely was some error involved with the initial settings by the dealer, but I have over the years seen many new suspensions settle in, granted it is not all the spring but I think a compilation of all the moving parts and the spring achieving a set, now this does not take a 1000mi. for this to occur actually a 20mi. break in should be more than enough for it to settle in.

Granted the dealer after double checking his settings, if the appropriate Sag was only achieved by a setting of 0 clicks at my weight should have said go ride it fro a few miles and let recheck this.

At that point I was not that concerned because, one, I just wanted to ride my new bike and two I knew that I would recheck it after riding it for a while. Now granted I initially planned on rechecking it before the 1000mi. but not having a set up to do this check solo and the proverbial tyranny of the urgent it didn't work out that way.   

• 3 weeks later...

With someone who weighs 80kg with a 48kg pillion and occasionally 30kg in luggage on longs trips... Would it be wiser for me to go with 85 N/mm or 90 N/mm..? I want to do 90 but most weekdays I commute by myself, just with some luggage.

1 hour ago, loneranger700 said:

With someone who weighs 80kg with a 48kg pillion and occasionally 30kg in luggage on longs trips... Would it be wiser for me to go with 85 N/mm or 90 N/mm..? I want to do 90 but most weekdays I commute by myself, just with some luggage.

I’m 88kg geared up and ready to ride. 90 spring is perfect sag for me at one click in. Leaves plenty of adjustment available for my pillion and gear. Cheers.

• Like 3

Making James May look quick!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 7/16/2020 at 5:47 AM, UtahJack said:

@UtahJack

Thanks for the update. I just rechecked my sag ( bike currently at 1047 miles) and with my ready to ride weight of 199 lbs. my Preload is now at 24 clicks or max. Interesting the differences in both bikes that supposedly have stock springs.   I'm now in the market for a new spring as I plan on carrying Mosko gear and Mrs. CAJW occasionally.  Glad your OEM spring is working out for you.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Is the rear suspension the same in the US as the rest of the world? I'd read that they made some adjustments  for the US model.

I'm 185lbs w/o gear and wondering if I should up to a 90nm spring, or if Yamaha took into account my country's corn-fed waistlines. 

Edited by mattgif

19 minutes ago, mattgif said:

Is the rear suspension the same in the US as the rest of the world? I'd read that they made some adjustments  for the US model.

I'm 185lbs w/o gear and wondering if I should up to a 90nm spring, or if Yamaha took into account my country's corn-fed waistlines. 

T7 suspension same all over world

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So i just went on the longest ride of my life (on a motorcycle) a couple days ago @ 306 miles. Prior to that ride i have been tweaking the suspension once click at a time. Before this ride i decided to zip tie my fork and shock shaft to see how much travel i was using. The trip consisted of a bit of tarmac, mostly dirt roads and a little bit of very rocky trail.  Conclusion- i used 100% of my shock travel, while i didn’t feel it bottom out i’m guessing it bottomed out several times. No jumping was done either. The fork travel was used up by about 80%. So it seems i’m going to leave the fork springs alone and ill be needing a 85kg spring. Any US vendors recommended? 

14 hours ago, DT675 said:

So i just went on the longest ride of my life (on a motorcycle) a couple days ago @ 306 miles. Prior to that ride i have been tweaking the suspension once click at a time. Before this ride i decided to zip tie my fork and shock shaft to see how much travel i was using. The trip consisted of a bit of tarmac, mostly dirt roads and a little bit of very rocky trail.  Conclusion- i used 100% of my shock travel, while i didn’t feel it bottom out i’m guessing it bottomed out several times. No jumping was done either. The fork travel was used up by about 80%. So it seems i’m going to leave the fork springs alone and ill be needing a 85kg spring. Any US vendors recommended? 

did you measure the fork travel from the dust seal (with front wheel fork extended) down to cable tie to calculate travel as 80% (160mm of 200mm travel), the fork can never travel to the bottom of the chrome stanchion, only to with 27mm.

Also, never cable tie around the shock shaft as the cable tie could damage the lip seal when it contacts the rubber bump stop under full compression. You will know if you use full shock travel as the shock will clunk when it bottoms out.

• Thanks 1

I knew the forks don't go all the way to the bottom of the shaft but not to within 27mm though. I just estimated it as i don't feel the need to get more detailed than that for right now. Checking sag and making spring changes will be a winter project for me. 

That’s a great point on the shock, ill remove that one right away- thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question about setting rear race sag.

I have installed a 90NM rear spring from Rally Raid.  I'm not exactly sure what I weigh, but when setting the sag I suited up in all my gear, had a full tank of gas and threw a 25 lb. weight on the back of the bike.  This will simulate me taking a trip fully geared up with luggage.  I don't carry a passenger.  I was able to achieve correct sag (60mm) at 17 clicks in from full out.  That leaves 7 more clicks of preload available if I need to carry more than 25 lbs of luggage.

My question is, should I readjust my sag setting to suit my specific riding conditions?  In other words, I only intend on carrying 25 lbs of gear on longer trips.  Most of the time riding my T700 I will realistically only be carrying 10-15 lbs. of extra gear, tools, etc.  So should I recalculate my sag at the lower overall weight and just add more preload the next time I'm carrying more weight on those extended trips?

Edited by Seventh Son

3 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

Question about setting rear race sag.

I have installed a 90NM rear spring from Rally Raid.  I'm not exactly sure what I weigh, but when setting the sag I suited up in all my gear, had a full tank of gas and threw a 25 lb. weight on the back of the bike.  This will simulate me taking a trip fully geared up with luggage.  I don't carry a passenger.  I was able to achieve correct sag (60mm) at 17 clicks in from full out.  That leaves 7 more clicks of preload available if I need to carry more than 25 lbs of luggage.

My question is, should I readjust my sag setting to suit my specific riding conditions?  In other words, I only intend on carrying 25 lbs of gear on longer trips.  Most of the time riding my T700 I will realistically only be carrying 10-15 lbs. of extra gear, tools, etc.  So should I recalculate my sag at the lower overall weight and just add more preload the next time I'm carrying more weight on those extended trips?

Id be curious to this too. Also, SS, I'd be curious to what you weight with gear for battle? Im trying to determine if I need a 85 or 90 spring. 

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Id be curious to this too. Also, SS, I'd be curious to what you weight with gear for battle? Im trying to determine if I need a 85 or 90 spring. 

I’m 88kg with gear & helmet on and including my usual tool roll.  Bike has a Givi topbox and SW-Motech carrier. I have a 90 kg Rally-Raid spring fitted. 1 turn pre-load gives me the correct sag settings for the bike, rider & tools unladen. I increase pre-load according to any additional significant load. My understanding is that the pre-load adjustment can accommodate a variation/increase of 60kg.  It works for me. Cheers 

• Like 1

Making James May look quick!

50 minutes ago, TimG said:

I’m 88kg with gear & helmet on and including my usual tool roll.  Bike has a Givi topbox and SW-Motech carrier. I have a 90 kg Rally-Raid spring fitted. 1 turn pre-load gives me the correct sag settings for the bike, rider & tools unladen. I increase pre-load according to any additional significant load. My understanding is that the pre-load adjustment can accommodate a variation/increase of 60kg.  It works for me. Cheers 

You and I are the exact same weight. Thanks mate! 

• Moderators

I believe you want to adjust your sag to normal everyday riding weight and then add pre-load as necessary to compensate for additional weight as needed. I'm 198 lbs. (90kg)  ready to ride and with the 90nm spring I installed,  zero pre-load gives me the correct sag, so I have plenty of adjustment for additional weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just now, CAJW said:

I believe you want to adjust your sag to normal everyday riding weight and then add pre-load as necessary to compensate for additional weight as needed. I'm 198 lbs. ready to ride and with the 90nm spring I installed,  zero pre-load gives me the correct sag, so I have plenty of adjustment for additional weight.

Thats what I did.  Im 178lbs and an 85nm gives me perfect sag with just empty pannier racks.

1 hour ago, mpb1 said:

Thats what I did.  Im 178lbs and an 85nm gives me perfect sag with just empty pannier racks.

How many clicks of pre load do you have with your 85nm spring? I’m your weight and plan for some light luggage as well. 

Had the 80 N/mm Rally Raid rear spring fitted at Torque Racing Services on Saturday. Martin sorted the spring and dropped the forks to balance the bike as I have the Yamaha lowering link (and the low seat) fitted. I was a bit anxious about what exactly the seat height was going end up as, but I need not have worried. With the correct sag (zero preload for my 75 kg weight) set at the rear with the new spring it's perfectly manageable with my short legs, if anything, better than with the OE spring. The new spring feels more plush too.

Really pleased I had it done and well worth the 2 hour ride through the pouring rain to get there. They were even happy to explain the basics of suspension settings which was really appreciated too.

Edited by Gazc
Updated information
  • Like 2

I dropped in my 90nm spring, but have noticed it wobbles slightly on the front now at high speeds. 

Anyone else change their springs and notice a change in the front-end?

10 minutes ago, loneranger700 said:

I dropped in my 90nm spring, but have noticed it wobbles slightly on the front now at high speeds. 

Nope.  I dropped in my 90mn spring and things feel solid and planted as they should.  Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 10:06 PM, DT675 said:

How many clicks of pre load do you have with your 85nm spring? I’m your weight and plan for some light luggage as well. 

none, with just me and pannier racks (empty racks, no boxes) it has perfect sag.

On 10/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, loneranger700 said:

Thats odd, do you think your seat height changed with the spring change? I’m wondering if you’ve changed the geometry a little.  Seems to me a reduction of weight on the front tire could cause this.