Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Indicator / Flasher Relay Location

CReamflourish

On 6/28/2020 at 3:22 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Bumping this thread as nobody answered their question. 

Does the US version having front and back running lights that are always on when the lights are on, but still functions as a brake light and/or turn signals? 

Looking at getting these as they seem like thy work great if there is DRL on the USA 700. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ARHL164GNCEO7&psc=1

I think that the US and Canadian versions are identical. I can tell you that the Canadian version does have DRL using the turn signals (have a look at the bulb details above). I am not 100% sure about the US version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 5:31 AM, MGG said:

I think that the US and Canadian versions are identical. I can tell you that the Canadian version does have DRL using the turn signals (have a look at the bulb details above). I am not 100% sure about the US version.

I just started installed cheap CHN drl signals on my US T700. Front signal connectors are straightforward 3-pin (ground, signal, DRL). The rear signal  connectors, however, are only 2-pin (Ground, signal). 

given that, I’m stumped on how to connect the 3rd signal wire (braking DRL) on my rear blinkers to the bike....?

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1BC2E736-7783-459A-A5A3-6CD3A8BC86F7.jpeg

B3135226-AA94-48A1-BBC6-F38C42287F93.jpeg

Edited by Vtamb81
  • Like 1

In case anyone else has the same question I did, I ended up have to tap into the tail light power (blue wire) with my red signal wire. Works great!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Vtamb81 said:

In case anyone else has the same question I did, I ended up have to tap into the tail light power (blue wire) with my red signal wire. Works great!

Wait, could you explain this a bit more in detail? I just ordered some lights off Ebay and I just realized it only has two wires, not three like the Yamaha female connector.

7 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

Wait, could you explain this a bit more in detail? I just ordered some lights off Ebay and I just realized it only has two wires, not three like the Yamaha female connector.

Hope this is helpful, I can’t get to my bike right now so I drew this diagram. There might be a more elegant way to tap into the taillight power (blue wire) but this was my method. 

6046CE5F-54DE-4758-8BC2-555599B64DEB.jpeg

Edited by Vtamb81

I purchased some LED signals with built-in flashers.  I have tested them by just connecting them to a battery and they do a sequential flash.  Am I wrong in assuming all I need to do is by-pass the flasher and hook them up like normal?

7 hours ago, Vtamb81 said:

Hope this is helpful, I can’t get to my bike right now so I drew this diagram. There might be a more elegant way to tap into the taillight power (blue wire) but this was my method. 

6046CE5F-54DE-4758-8BC2-555599B64DEB.jpeg

Okay wait, so lemme get this straight...

Yamaha has 3 wires: Pos, Neg, and DRL (which I guess is just slightly less voltage?). 

So with after market, since it only has Pos and Neg, I need to splice the Pos so it also engages the DRL wire on the Yamaha connector?

Okay wait, so lemme get this straight...

Yamaha has 3 wires: Pos, Neg, and DRL (which I guess is just slightly less voltage?). 

So with after market, since it only has Pos and Neg, I need to splice the Pos so it also engages the DRL wire on the Yamaha connector?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original question. I thought you said you had a 3-wire signal (DRL capable) and after rereading I think you actually have a 2-wire signal (no DRL). hope this clears it up...also I’m no expert. 

OEM Signal connectors

front OEM signal harness connectors are 3-pin (ground, signal, DRL). 

rear OEM signal harness connectors are 2-pin (ground, signal). No drl power. 

2-wire aftermarket signals 

I don’t think there is a way to wire these for drl as you only have a 2 wires for ground and signal. If you want DRL capability you’ll need a 3-wire aftermarket signal. These are the ones I bought. 

DRL Signal Lights

3-wire aftermarket signals 

these install easily into the front OEM harness connectors because the connectors are 3-pin and the signals are 3-wire. 

the rears are a little more difficult because the OEM connectors are 2-pin and therefore have no ability to power the 3rd (DRL) wire on the signal. To power that 3rd wire you need to tap into the tail light power wire in the OEMtail light loom. THIS is the diagram that I drew above. 

Sorry for the confusion and I hope this clarifies things...

Edited by Vtamb81
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Craig Sturman said:

I purchased some LED signals with built-in flashers.  I have tested them by just connecting them to a battery and they do a sequential flash.  Am I wrong in assuming all I need to do is by-pass the flasher and hook them up like normal?

See my post above and see if that answers your question. If not let me know. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original question. I thought you said you had a 3-wire signal (DRL capable) and after rereading I think you actually have a 2-wire signal (no DRL). hope this clears it up...also I’m no expert. 

OEM Signal connectors

I don’t think there is a way to wire these for drl as you only have a 2 wires for ground and signal. If you want DRL capability you’ll need a 3-wire aftermarket signal. These are the ones I bought. 

DRL turn signals

these install easily into the front OEM harness connectors because the connectors are 3-pin and the signals are 3-wire. 

the rears are a little more difficult because the OEM connectors are 2-pin and therefore have no ability to power the 3rd (DRL) wire on the signal. To power that 3rd wire you need to tap into the tail light power wire in the OEMtail light loom. THIS is the diagram that I drew above. 

So you bought the white ones for the front and the red ones for the rear?

When you hooked up the red ones do they come on only when you brake (red) and only when you turn on the signals (Amber)?

25 minutes ago, DWEL700 said:

So you bought the white ones for the front and the red ones for the rear?

When you hooked up the red ones do they come on only when you brake (red) and only when you turn on the signals (Amber)?

Yes the 4 pack I linked comes with 2 white (front) and 2 red (rear). 

regarding rear DRL, I think you can wire the red signal wire to either the constant power or the braking input power wires in the brake light loom. I have mine wired to the constant power, so they are always red when the ignition is on, but don’t get brighter when the brake is applied. If you wire it the other way (to the braking input wire) I “think” they will be off when the ignition is on, and light up when the brakes are used. 

regardless of which way you wire the rear, they are amber sequential when the turn signal is activated. 

Edited by Vtamb81
  • Like 1

are they flexible?

Do you think they will take a fall or ten 🙂  or snap off?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Vtamb81 said:

OEM Signal connectors

DRL turn signals

@Vtamb81

Could you re- link your DRL turn signals? The link above takes me back to the top of this page. Thx.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 hours ago, DWEL700 said:

are they flexible?

Do you think they will take a fall or ten 🙂  or snap off?

Yeah they’re flexible and seem decent quality, but in the end they’re CHN made. If/when they break I’ll get Cyclops Adventure Sport Signals. 

2 hours ago, CAJW said:

@Vtamb81

Could you re- link your DRL turn signals? The link above takes me back to the top of this page. Thx.

Link updated in original post

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks Vtamb81.  Now, has anyone found a source for oem connectors? I just hate cutting into the wires of a brand new bike. Maybe after I drop it a few times I won't mind as much?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

18 minutes ago, CAJW said:

Thanks Vtamb81.  Now, has anyone found a source for oem connectors? I just hate cutting into the wires of a brand new bike. Maybe after I drop it a few times I won't mind as much?

Eastern Beaver and cycle terminal have them. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Vtamb81 said:

Eastern Beaver and cycle terminal have them. 

You da man! Thanks!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CAJW said:

I'm not sure if these will work but I ordered em, so I'll find out soon enough..

s-l400.jpg

Allows for quick, easy installation of all DMP marker lights. OEM-Type Marker Light Connectors. Fits most Yamaha motorcycles. No need to cut and splice the OE wire harness.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if these will work but I ordered em, so I'll find out soon enough..

s-l400.jpg

Allows for quick, easy installation of all DMP marker lights. OEM-Type Marker Light Connectors. Fits most Yamaha motorcycles. No need to cut and splice the OE wire harness.

Let us know. I ended up cutting off the old connectors from the original signals and reusing them bit this looks cleaner.  

On 6/28/2020 at 12:22 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Bumping this thread as nobody answered their question. 

Does the US version having front and back running lights that are always on when the lights are on, but still functions as a brake light and/or turn signals? 

Looking at getting these as they seem like thy work great if there is DRL on the USA 700. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0756Z8PLZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ARHL164GNCEO7&psc=1

We probably know this by now but US bikes only have DRL on front.

J

9 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

We probably know this by now but US bikes only have DRL on front.

J

Really? Only on the front and not the back? Is this true? 

30 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Really? Only on the front and not the back? Is this true? 

in US and Canada, only front is needed by law

That is probably what they done.

Did anyone post the flasher relay needed yet? Looking for direct plug-n-play so I can update to LED's on front and back.

Looking for a US vendor (also not ebay).

Edited by beater_bimmer

3 hours ago, beater_bimmer said:

Did anyone post the flasher relay needed yet? Looking for direct plug-n-play so I can update to LED's on front and back.

Looking for a US vendor (also not ebay).

I ordered this from TST industries late last night with some other goodies and it shipped today from Florida. 

TST 2 PIN LED FLASHER RELAY GEN 2

spacer.png

their site is a little hard to navigate. Search for Relay then drill down in the applications for each style listed to confirm  fitment. 

ours has this pinout and most items are interchangeable with XSR700 or MT-07/FZ07

spacer.png

When I get it all installed I’ll post up here. Should have in a couple days. 

j

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 1