Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Indicator / Flasher Relay Location

CReamflourish

2 minutes ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

Only the Turn in dictators, if you hit the right turn signal the right turn indicator comes on but doesn't flash.  If you go left the left indicator comes on not flash. If you hit the hazard switch both indicators come on no flash. The turn signals flash perfectly. Only problem is the dash indicators don't flash.

That's what I mean the dash Turn indicators are on all the time or do they only come on (and not flash)  when the left or right turn sig is activated. 

Only on when the turn signal is on. Or hazard. 

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

4 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

That's what I mean the dash Turn indicators are on all the time or do they only come on (and not flash)  when the left or right turn sig is activated. 

By the way I ordered the original Yamaha turn signal plugs and wired the turn signals in just like the Factory.  Then installed a TST relay.  I didn't use any resistors in line for the turn signals!

• Thanks 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

1 minute ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

By the way I ordered the original Yamaha turn signal plugs and wired the turn signals in just like the Factory.  Then installed a TST relay.  I didn't use any resistors in line for the turn signals!

The flasher relay sends the blinking +12v to the handlebar switch.  When turn sig or Hazzards are activated they receive the oscillating signal.  The dash indicators also receive this same signal and should flash accordingly.  I have no idea how the signals can flash and the dash stay solid as they're wired in parallel.  Unless your flasher relay is failed and the turn signals have internal circuitry to flash.  But I didn't think the OEM ones did that.

Have you tested with a multimeter to confirm any of this?

J

1 minute ago, Goldentaco said:

The flasher relay sends the blinking +12v to the handlebar switch.  When turn sig or Hazzards are activated they receive the oscillating signal.  The dash indicators also receive this same signal and should flash accordingly.  I have no idea how the signals can flash and the dash stay solid as they're wired in parallel.  Unless your flasher relay is failed and the turn signals have internal circuitry to flash.  But I didn't think the OEM ones did that.

Have you tested with a multimeter to confirm any of this?

J

No I have not. I have been working on my helicopter all week! I am hoping to get back to it tomorrow. I thought about reinstalling the stock relay and see if everything flashes again. I have been running the led fronts with stock rears for over a month.  Waiting on the Yoshimura tidy Tail. I am almost positive the dash fashed for a while then stopped. Thansk for all your help! 

2 hours ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

No I have not. I have been working on my helicopter all week! I am hoping to get back to it tomorrow. I thought about reinstalling the stock relay and see if everything flashes again. I have been running the led fronts with stock rears for over a month.  Waiting on the Yoshimura tidy Tail. I am almost positive the dash fashed for a while then stopped. Thansk for all your help! 

IN case you don't have these...

For some reason the DRL circuit isn't on here and it's missing from the Shop manual I have too.

Wiring diagram T700.png

Wiring Diagram2 T700.png

Edited by Goldentaco

19 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

IN case you don't have these...

For some reason the DRL circuit isn't on here and it's missing from the Shop manual I have too.

Wiring diagram T700.png

Wiring Diagram2 T700.png

I reinstalled the factory flasher relay and the dash indicators still will not flash. 

20 hours ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

I reinstalled the factory flasher relay and the dash indicators still will not flash. 

So I think I've made sense of the OEM DRL operation.  The DRL circuit never turns off.  It's always on even when the turn signals are selected or hazzards are turned on.  The OEM North America turn signals have two lighted elements in the bulb. So when the turn sig is activated, the bulb gets brighter for each flash but the DRL circuit never shuts off.

Since the Dash indicators, Front, and Rear turn signals are all tied together, they should all flash  or not flash at the same time.  If the dash indicators don't flash when the turn signals are activated, they and the rear and front turn signal circuits must be receiving the same constant on.

Something funky is going on with the LED Plus lights.  You're not the only one: 

I would unplug all the turn sigs and install the TST relay.  Confirm that it oscillates the +12v.  Can measure that at each turn signal plug.  Check the dash indicators, they should be flashing at this point.  Then plug one signal in at a time and confirm the operation is still good.  You should be able to find the culprit.

Seeing how all the wiring diagrams I've found don't show the DRL circuit correctly, it's possible that the actual turn signals circuits are different than what i s pictured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goldentaco said:

So I think I've made sense of the OEM DRL operation.  The DRL circuit never turns off.  It's always on even when the turn signals are selected or hazzards are turned on.  The OEM North America turn signals have two lighted elements in the bulb. So when the turn sig is activated, the bulb gets brighter for each flash but the DRL circuit never shuts off.

Since the Dash indicators, Front, and Rear turn signals are all tied together, they should all flash  or not flash at the same time.  If the dash indicators don't flash when the turn signals are activated, they and the rear and front turn signal circuits must be receiving the same constant on.

Something funky is going on with the LED Plus lights.  You're not the only one: 

I would unplug all the turn sigs and install the TST relay.  Confirm that it oscillates the +12v.  Can measure that at each turn signal plug.  Check the dash indicators, they should be flashing at this point.  Then plug one signal in at a time and confirm the operation is still good.  You should be able to find the culprit.

Seeing how all the wiring diagrams I've found don't show the DRL circuit correctly, it's possible that the actual turn signals circuits are different than what i s pictured.

Ya it seams like the relay doesn't have enough draw. When I had just front Leds with stock rears everything worked properly.  Now that all the leds are in the dash light don't flash. Its not a huge deal just in my head I know its not right. Makes me crazy. Thanks for all your help. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

Ya it seams like the relay doesn't have enough draw. When I had just front Leds with stock rears everything worked properly.  Now that all the leds are in the dash light don't flash. Its not a huge deal just in my head I know its not right. Makes me crazy. Thanks for all your help. 

It's the combo of relay and lights.  I have Front Led's from TST :

TST MECH-GTR FRONT LED TURN with DRL Halo ring.

and 

Yoshimura Front turn sig kit mounted on the back. 

with the TST relay.

All indicators and signals flash at the same rates. 

J

I just got my hands on a tst relay, I have the yamaha plus front and rear leds with running lights and I'm having the same issue where the dash doesn't flash.

Edited by DORTx2

40 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

I just got my hands on a tst relay, I have the yamaha plus front and rear leds with running lights and I'm having the same issue where the dash doesn't flash.

So crazy! I am thinking about installing resistors on the rear turn signals! 

Just now, helipilotxtz700 said:

So crazy! I am thinking about installing resistors on the rear turn signals! 

I'm  not even going to bother it's just too much of a hassle. Let me know if it works for you though.

3 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

I'm  not even going to bother it's just too much of a hassle. Let me know if it works for you though.

If I find a cure ill post right away! If any one else finds anything please let us know! 

47 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

On 11/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, helipilotxtz700 said:

Yes I used a TST adjustable relay,  I have all 4 of the Yamaha UK-EU led turn signals. I have the front DRL and rear brake lights hooked up. Everything is great except the Dash lights don't flash!

OK, Same here with the dashboard turn indicators do not flash when the indicators are activated. All the turn signal blink as normal.

When I installed the TST relay I only removed the front LED resistors. I didn't immediately remove the rear LED resistors and the dash turn indicators blinked normally with the TST relay, just like it did with the factory relay. I didn't remove the rear relays until weeks later. As I have pannier racks and I didn't feel like removing them just then.

When I swapped out my rear tail section for a different colored tail rear panel, I then removed the rear LED relays. That is when the dash turn indicators just stay ON and do not flash when the turn indicators are activated. No big deal for me.

I opened up the TST and played with adjusting the blink speed up and down. The dash indicators only stay ON and do not blink.RLYG2_TST-Industries_Gen2-LED-Flasher-Relay_Detailed-Image-3-01.thumb.jpg.bf870c4cf498adc177763c80131b25fd.jpg

So if you want the dash indicators to blink, you may have to keep one or two of the resistors plugged in to have the dash turn indicators to flash. It flashed when I had the two rear resistors still plugged in.

2 minutes ago, REDHORSECA said:

OK, Same here with the dashboard turn indicators do not flash when the indicators are activated. All the turn signal blink as normal.

When I installed the TST relay I only removed the front LED resistors. I didn't immediately remove the rear LED resistors and the dash turn indicators blinked normally with the TST relay, just like it did with the factory relay. I didn't remove the rear relays until weeks later. As I have pannier racks and I didn't feel like removing them just then.

When I swapped out my rear tail section for a different colored tail rear panel, I then removed the rear LED relays. That is when the dash turn indicators just stay ON and do not flash when the turn indicators are activated. No big deal for me.

I opened up the TST and played with adjusting the blink speed up and down. The dash indicators only stay ON and do not blink.RLYG2_TST-Industries_Gen2-LED-Flasher-Relay_Detailed-Image-3-01.thumb.jpg.bf870c4cf498adc177763c80131b25fd.jpg

So if you want the dash indicators to blink, you may have to keep one or two of the resistors plugged in to have the dash turn indicators to flash. It flashed when I had the two rear resistors still plugged in.

Yep that's what I figured also. I ordered all of the yamaha style turn signal plugs and wired the in as a plug and play. It all looks factory.  Then install the TST relay. Maybe a stupid idea but what about a resistor in line of the turn signals flasher? I love how clean it is with out the two resistors plugged in. Plus I'll have to cut my nice clean wire job. 

1 hour ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

Yep that's what I figured also. I ordered all of the yamaha style turn signal plugs and wired the in as a plug and play. It all looks factory.  Then install the TST relay. Maybe a stupid idea but what about a resistor in line of the turn signals flasher? I love how clean it is with out the two resistors plugged in. Plus I'll have to cut my nice clean wire job. 

That should work too.  Shouldn't matter where the load is just that it's there.

J

On 11/9/2020 at 8:33 PM, Goldentaco said:

That should work too.  Shouldn't matter where the load is just that it's there.

J

Nope! Didn't work! I hooked up two different resistors to the relay and still the same! So bummed out! I like things to work correctly! 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a question about the resistors. Do I need one for each side (leftest and right) of the turn signals, total of 2 resistors  or do I need one for each turn signal for a total of 4 resistors.......Thanks

Yes you need to install resistors on left and right side. Other wise you'll get dash flash and the dash lights will not flash! Or install a smart Flasher relay. That's what I did. My Dash lights do not flash but everything else works perfectly!

Edited by helipilotxtz700

• 9 months later...

Can anyone tell me if these are the correct fitment for the T7?

yb.JPG

Edited by Innocente46

• 3 weeks later...

I should have taken some photo's of the install and setup, but basically I added the Yamaha LED turn signals and did it all without cutting any wires. When I picked up my lightly used T7 the previous owner had purchased one pair of the Yamaha LED turn signals, so I just had to buy a second set for the front of the bike. Since I had the back of the bike all apart to install the turn signals, I figured it was a good time to also install a brake light strobe.

Here is the brake light strobe, the same one I have installed on my FZ-09 and it has been working just fine for six years now.

Brake light strobe module works with LED brake or reverse lights. Strobe module rapidly flashes bulbs 4 times for 0.4 seconds, slowly 4 times for 2.6 seconds, and then lights remain on bright until brake pedal is released. 12V DC Operation...

image.thumb.png.20fd633b4744237f016b44340f53497c.png

For the brake light strobe I wired it in using the same brake light plug, so no need to cut into any wires. You can find matching Yamaha plugs on this web site for a good price. 

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type) and MT Sealed type Connectors for .090 - 2.3mm Terminal. These Connector s are used highly on Throttle position sensors, Neutral Switch, Cam and Crank Shaft Position Sensors...

image.thumb.png.aeebd369f2e35e06105e729381b23dd9.png

For the second set of Yamaha LED signal lights, I found them for a better price on ebay out of the UK. Saved a few dollars over buying them at a local dealer and no tax.

image.thumb.png.995e515592b94d32df0e8eb8d6360ae3.png

To connect the signal lights you can find Yamaha connectors on ebay as well for cheap.

image.thumb.png.6d6c4eb9ae0779ac205b48d6de162253.png

To retain the front running lights and be able to hook up the 2-wire LED's to the 3-wire connector, I used a set of CustomLED Blinker Genie. The same ones they make for the Yamaha FZ-09 since they don't list them for the T7 on their website. The price was still from CustomLED but cheaper shipping cost to Canada through ebay.

image.thumb.png.d7d71f3a3066b34fb726382816cba6fd.png

I also installed a CustomLED flasher relay, already had one for the day I do change out to LED turn signals on the FZ-09.

image.png.f582ff792b668a083464b3e202028077.png

8b0beb1005cfa967e17fccdaa7b4e7f2_600x600

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relays - Plug & Play "No Load" Maintains OEM Blinker flash rate for a wide range of LED and non-LED blinkers. Plug and play connectivity with OEM connector (see compatibility list)...

I slightly modified the turn signal housing to get it to install in the same spot as the stock flasher relay.

With this combination you don't need to use the Yamaha signal light resistors and everything works. You get day time running lights with the front turn signals and the dash signal lights, and 4-way flashers work.

The only weird thing is when the signal lights is on, the rear signal light lights up and the front signal light turns off. so the front and rear signal light flash opposite to each other. This is because the front is already on for the day time running light feature.

I was thinking of just trying a set of the Mad Hornets LED turn signals. I have purchases other items from Mad Hornets like their short levers, and they are great quality and better quality of the same looking ones on ebay. Much better fit and finish with the machining tolerances being a way better fit.

Might have to try a set of these on my FZ-09 ???

TS-148-Clear-5__64898.1590993472.220.220

Larger Selections with Deep Discount on Vehicle Parts, Accessories, and More!

image.thumb.png.d8aa1ea61675b9776ae47bdd966efc81.png

Brake Light Strobe

brake-light.thumb.gif.4671de7c030c370932a7313049aa5c78.gif

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I bought two pairs of used-but-as-new led blinkers for my T7 and I got a flasher relay for free, this model in particular from Lampa (same brand as the indicators). This flasher is not equipped with the Yamaha connector and has 3 wires vs 2 (blue and white/brown wires).
I've attached the pin-out of the flasher.

Anyone has an idea if I can make this 3-wire flasher work on the Yamaha stock connector?

90126-D-02.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 7/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, Goldentaco said:

TST 2 PIN LED FLASHER RELAY GEN 2

spacer.png

their site is a little hard to navigate. Search for Relay then drill down in the applications for each style listed to confirm  fitment. 

ours has this pinout and most items are interchangeable with XSR700 or MT-07/FZ07

spacer.png

When I get it all installed I’ll post up here. Should have in a couple days. 

TNX for the pics and info.