Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New PP plastic fairing sets from RTech, Italy

Ede-DE

@Tenerider

Ouch! Maybe a used fueltank.  i saw one at kleinanzeigen some time ago.

• Like 1

Just checked availability here, too - thanks for the hints @BikeBrother and @Lewie !

Quite some seem to sell them, probably because they have an Acerbis tank.

I think I'll ride it this season, since I'm about to ride either parts of TET Italy or TET Spain or... Quite some chances to scratch the right side, too 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I have recently purchased that kit and I'm wondering if I should protect them in any manner. I think that this type of plastic loses its color due to the sun, so I'm thinking about painting them and changing the design a little bit.

Anyone has tried that? I think that I'll need some primer, spray paint, some vinyl stickers and a final varnish layer, won't it? Any help will be appreciated.

Here's a picture of what I have in mind:

image.jpeg.fc283b231e650ca5128ed14b235ffbe7.jpeg

As you can see, not many changes as I like that minimal look. Just choose a gray, red and black paint, and two vinyl stickers for each side.

3 hours ago, PeterStolen said:

Hi guys.

I have recently purchased that kit and I'm wondering if I should protect them in any manner. I think that this type of plastic loses its color due to the sun, so I'm thinking about painting them and changing the design a little bit.

Anyone has tried that? I think that I'll need some primer, spray paint, some vinyl stickers and a final varnish layer, won't it? Any help will be appreciated.

As you can see, not many changes as I like that minimal look. Just choose a gray, red and black paint, and two vinyl stickers for each side.

Well if you don’t want to repaint them, I would just use  one of the UV protectants (like protectant 303) after washing, like we put on canoes or plastic car parts. Just be aware it becomes slippery as f… when it’s on.  After doing my lad’s kayak, he couldn’t ride up the rubber “escalator” at the white water centre😂 and I almost dropped my boat through my wagon’s window. 🙄😂

or more vinyl. 

3 hours ago, PeterStolen said:

Hi guys.

Vinyl wrap all day.  

Any day you can avoid paint is a good day imo.  Bloody stuff is a lifetime commitment 😁

I used a camo wrap on mine so it's easy to patch 20230817_201817.jpg.232c78647e9e4a1abf3fca35827a65b0.jpg

1 hour ago, sunndog said:

Vinyl wrap all day.  

Any day you can avoid paint is a good day imo.  Bloody stuff is a lifetime commitment 😁

I used a camo wrap on mine so it's easy to patch 20230817_201817.jpg.232c78647e9e4a1abf3fca35827a65b0.jpg

I didn't try vinyl wrap, but seems much more difficult for me than spray painting 😅

1 hour ago, PeterStolen said:

I didn't try vinyl wrap, but seems much more difficult for me than spray painting 😅

It's real easy honestly. Fast too 

PP panels seem not to be suitable for painting, I think Cory from CamelADV mentioned it somewhere.

I personally wouldn't care at all about fading colours. Those panels are made for offroad riding, their main selling point is that they don't break. They'll get scratched though, see my pics above.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeterStolen said:

Hi guys.

Great look! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Great look! 

This is mine, very similar. I used 3M vinyl wrap for the red accent but will change to mostly black Rtech plastics.

IMG_9655.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/9/2024 at 8:09 AM, OK185 said:

Interesting wheels. Are these Alpina?

Yes they are tubless Alpina. 16K miles incl. Baja trip. No problems, no flat.

• Like 2

I bought a second Rtech plastic kit and switched from black/gray to more black. First ride today.

IMG_9822.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 4:22 AM, RMMark said:

Got mine all buttoned up yesterday- very impressed with the quality 

5AFDCB0A-2973-4379-A872-490FC85FF488.jpeg

8323873A-32BC-4918-9BFE-C1A5ED666AAC.jpeg

E35C02E4-91E5-4E43-842C-D6C8FF8E5796.jpeg

I see a lot of parts that I have and others that I am intrigued about.  What LED's do you have in the RTech front panels (are the signal lights removeable or now fixed in place) and also see the photo I have clipped and circled for the rear chain adjustments.  Where are they from? Also, what model tyres are those? Many thanks.  Bike looks great.  

8323873A-32BC-4918-9BFE-C1A5ED666AAC.jpeg.230972938e37dade36b324ff63f0983e.jpeg

Edited by roygilbo

4 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

I see a lot of parts that I have and others that I am intrigued about.  What LED's do you have in the RTech front panels (are the signal lights removeable or now fixed in place) and also see the photo I have clipped and circled for the rear chain adjustments.  Where are they from? Also, what model tyres are those? Many thanks.  Bike looks great.  

8323873A-32BC-4918-9BFE-C1A5ED666AAC.jpeg.230972938e37dade36b324ff63f0983e.jpeg

Hi mate, they’re Motogadget indicators with a 3D printed blank held with an m10 nut, the chain adjusters are Gilles and the tyres are Michelin trackers 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 8:37 PM, Tenerider said:

Finally!

Before:

20231210_160016.jpg.d758f97121ae5fcb51f383109e9b5f5a.jpg

After:

20231213_202837.jpg.757df52e1f3cee0423e0a5d968ee2f1c.jpg

20231213_202853.jpg.e6ff2754261f50439dc1c71d047a3db4.jpg

As you can see, the OEM side panels are 100% compatible with RTech's fairings - like the black/white mix and don't plan to install the white side panels:

20231213_202905.jpg.25582fcf3e7746c451f2cbd5aa25e3d1.jpg

Nice detail on the tank cover, notice the moulded grippy (non-glossy) stripe on the side:

20231213_203030.jpg.daaf4d99e83452522a75eeeba864a6c3.jpg

Really like the look, but some red stickers will be added soon.

Fit is really good, only very minor issues during installation - fixed by applying pressure on the panels until the mounting holes align perfectly.

I have seen that you have installed the radiator side panels and the rear covers without changing the central panels, and you say they fit well.

Have you changed the gas tank cover?

I have the issue that they don't have the kit I want: red rear, black central, and white front (like the original one from '19).

If I order everything separately, it gets too expensive.

So I was thinking about buying only the red rear (rear fender + side panels) and the radiator scoops in white, without buying the central panels or the gas tank cover and leaving these parts original.

Do you know if this combination will fit well or if it's not compatible?

image.png.a1cf5a4e0a1600ef5070267aab7f479f.png

15 minutes ago, DarDo2k said:

I have seen that you have installed the radiator side panels and the rear covers without changing the central panels, and you say they fit well.

Have you changed the gas tank cover?

I have the issue that they don't have the kit I want: red rear, black central, and white front (like the original one from '19).

If I order everything separately, it gets too expensive.

So I was thinking about buying only the red rear (rear fender + side panels) and the radiator scoops in white, without buying the central panels or the gas tank cover and leaving these parts original.

Do you know if this combination will fit well or if it's not compatible?

image.png.a1cf5a4e0a1600ef5070267aab7f479f.png

From doing mine buddy I think that will work fine (although if I’m wrong don’t hold me to it but I can’t see why not)

The OEM side panels fit both the rear and front panels from RTech. I've changed the tank cover as well.

The OEM white tank cover has a different shade of white. Wouldn't mount it next to the new panels for that reason.

This is a complete Rtech plastic set. I think the Alpina wheels are a cool contrast.

IMG_9925.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to order a set today (Red/black) from off-the-road.de/en/.  $365.69 to Minnesota! How are you guys buying these kits so cheap?

6 minutes ago, Montesa_VR said:

Tried to order a set today (Red/black) from off-the-road.de/en/.  $365.69 to Minnesota! How are you guys buying these kits so cheap?

The European Union is not so bad after all for us. Got mine from Italy at a very competitive price (during Black week). Shipping cost inside of the EU are usually quite ok, around 15 or 20 € IIRC.

Doesn't Rtech have a US distributor?

@Montesa_VR

Try wdracing. That shop was cheapest, they even shipped from Italy to Germany for free a few months ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montesa_VR said:

Use WD racing.  The VAT is not charged but they asked me for an additon 20euro for the shipping.  Mine was ~$280usd all in.  I used paypal but with a CC that does not have a foreign transaction fee, also Paypal exchange rate sucks, so pay in euros.

• Like 1