Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

auxillary lights- how/ where to fit the switch

bth2

i have a pair of led lights . fitting the lights where i want them is not an issue. i just cant fit the switch anywhere on the bars,just no more room. i would ideally like to link into the high beam but if not where could i fit the switch?....ideas anyone?

cheers........ps i'm an electrickery numpty

Edited by bth2

mine is coupled ti high beam !

• Like 1

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

I am an electrical nupty as well so I had my local dealer fit mine and this is where he put it. I am happy with the location. 

64909FC7-CD7A-48A4-933D-F19CC06160EF.jpeg

Edited by Stephen H
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bth2 said:

i have a pair of led lights . fitting the lights where i want them is not an issue. i just cant fit the switch anywhere on the bars,just no more room. i would ideally like to link into the high beam but if not where could i fit the switch?....ideas anyone?

cheers........ps i'm an electrickery numpty

Switch for LED Light Bar mounted in the rubber grommet on right hand side of dash - fits great!

IMG_20200208_220433.jpg

• Like 2

Just another Tenere Tragic

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, NickT7 said:

IMG_20200410_150552.jpg

Sneaky placement! Nice one.

• Like 3

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Yes, because on the other side of the handlebar there's te controller for the Oxford heated grips so this was the best option. 

Nick 

IMG_20200410_150543.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sebti said:

mine is coupled ti high beam !

how was it done?

i have no room for a switch left side,heated grip controller. ive used a separate switch before and can be a pain when dipping lights in a hurry. linked to main beam would be nice.

Skene controller works great. Aux lights are always on at reduced (10%) power on low beam. Goes to 100% on high.

648237_51ad7e3dd489499fb98e56ae5309ba5d~

Online ordering for all Skene Lights visibility lighting products including the P3, Photon Blaster, IQ-275 dimmers, LED modules...

9 hours ago, bth2 said:

how was it done?

i have no room for a switch left side,heated grip controller. ive used a separate switch before and can be a pain when dipping lights in a hurry. linked to main beam would be nice.

here is the link on my website . In Fench but with translator, you can have what you need 😉

be carefull, tha wiring is particular on the T7 !

P_20200108_080515-scaled.jpg

Un article qui explique comment monter un phare additionnel LED couplé à la commande de phare sur la Tenere 700 et les quelques particularités à respecter.

• Like 2

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

2 hours ago, sebti said:

here is the link on my website . In Fench but with translator, you can have what you need 😉

be carefull, tha wiring is particular on the T7 !

P_20200108_080515-scaled.jpg

Un article qui explique comment monter un phare additionnel LED couplé à la commande de phare sur la Tenere 700 et les quelques particularités à respecter.

MERCI

Could be an option conect the led lights to the plug of the heated grips ? They will work every time you turn on the key no? Like that you don't need swtich? Makes any sense?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/13/2020 at 6:08 AM, slakdawg said:

Skene controller works great. Aux lights are always on at reduced (10%) power on low beam. Goes to 100% on high.

648237_51ad7e3dd489499fb98e56ae5309ba5d~

Online ordering for all Skene Lights visibility lighting products including the P3, Photon Blaster, IQ-275 dimmers, LED modules...

Is this compatible with the T7!??? I have controller from ADVMonster and the Electronics of the Headlight in T7 is not compatible with it as the controller expects 12V on the switch lead when high beam is on and 0V when its off.

T7 gives 12V on low beam and 0.88V on High beam!

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

2 minutes ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

Is this compatible with the T7!??? I have controller from ADVMonster and the Electronics of the Headlight in T7 is not compatible with it as the controller expects 12V on the switch lead when high beam is on and 0V when its off.

T7 gives 12V on low beam and 0.88V on High beam!

Great question. Will need to research and/or ask Skene. I currently use this controller on my Super Tenere and assumed it would work on the T7. I am planning to get this when I get the T7. 

all sorted now. i managed to move the switch assembly by removing the internal nipple which locates in the hole in the bars. i also moved the heated grip to the left and this gave just enough room for my light switch. i can operate both high/dip beam and aux light at virtually the same time.

DSC_0603.JPG

Edited by bth2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, slakdawg said:

Great question. Will need to research and/or ask Skene. I currently use this controller on my Super Tenere and assumed it would work on the T7. I am planning to get this when I get the T7. 

If it does not work, I'll be creating my own Ardunio controller to handle this, because I tried (well Yamaha guys tried) to do it with a relay and it did mess up the electronics as well so we for now abandon the project.

Seems some kind of external controller would be necessary.

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

Ok, keep us posted on any solution that works. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been able to figure out tapping into the high beam on this bike?

@sebti says he has but I am running into the same issue as @FAR&FURTHER  - I have a skene dimmer hooked up and functioning correctly save for being able to have my lights go to 100% with the high beam switch. You get a 12v signal from the yellow high beam wire when the switch is in low beam. 

Hi 29er which lights did you go with. I have the S4 and they are bright even on half power which i very rarely use. My motto is see and be seen and the lights do that.

Cheers Steve

I installed both Denali D2s and S4s to my bike, both with data dim controllers. 

The lights are turned on by an aux fuse block with switched power from the tail lights.

I hit a road block when it came to the trigger for the data dim. Couldn't find a 12v from the high beam switch, so decided to bypass the high beam and use the highbeam switch to control the LEDs instead, since they are brighter than the stock highbeam. The front pass trigger on the switch still works with the stock highbeam, it uses a seperate circuit. 

IMG20200703065909.jpg

IMG20200703064954.jpg

• Like 3

Hi 29er it’s a shame I am away those dates or would have had a ride round with you. 
A good ride I like which you can do from Dent is to head to Hawes then go over to Kirkby Stephen and then head to Middleton in Teesdale. After that head to Barnard Castle then on to Reeth then Aysgarth and ending up back in Hawes. Hope that makes sense.  If you fancy a bit of off road the Cam High Road out of Bainbridge is a very good trail. 
Cheers Steve. 

I've used the AS7 autoswitch in the past where I don't have room to mount an auxiliary switch.  It's a parasitic switch that just needs an input ( +12v) to trigger the load.  It doesn't take the place of a relay, it just works in place of a physical switch or it allows an existing switch to be used momentarily to trigger the relay.

as7-bag-1.jpg

Here's a video I made showing the operation of it controlling Aux driving lights with the High beam trigger.

J

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

I've used the AS7 autoswitch in the past where I don't have room to mount an auxiliary switch.  It's a parasitic switch that just needs an input ( +12v) to trigger the load.  It doesn't take the place of a relay, it just works in place of a physical switch or it allows an existing switch to be used momentarily to trigger the relay.

as7-bag-1.jpg

Here's a video I made showing the operation of it controlling Aux driving lights with the High beam trigger.

J

Seemingly irrelevant with this bike, though, as the high beam wire doesn’t deliver 12V. I’ve used similar set ups with other bikes. 

I believe cyclops has a solution. I’ve looked at the T7 wiring diagram to try to figure it out but I haven’t come up with anything yet.  

Edited by BMRT7
Clarity

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Seemingly irrelevant with this bike, though, as the high beam wire doesn’t deliver 12V. I’ve used similar set ups with other bikes. 

I believe cyclops has a solution. I’ve looked at the T7 wiring diagram to try to figure it out but I haven’t come up with anything yet.  

Just installed the Cyclops Aurora T7 specific kit this week. I ordered it with the DRL’s and the optional switch. The kit also came with a posi-tap wire allowing you to tap into the highbeam signal under the right fairing, allowing the main lights to turn on. 

5A2E401E-BE86-41F5-8428-D3DFBB6C6386.jpeg

Edited by tenerecanada
Had to show off the gorgeous lights
  • Like 2

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!